Naughty room on Norwegian

thistimeplease

Anyone have any stories about being caught with alcohol. Upon reading some of the other boards there seems to be threads for this. Just curious how difficult it is to sneak on booze and what happens when/if you're caught.

If you get caught, they call you to the naughty room, make you open your bag and they take it away from you. If it's in sealed, original packaging, they give it back at the end of the trip. If it's in something like a rum runner, they dispose of it. Nothing scary happens. Hundreds of people get called to the naughty room on every cruise.

Anyone have any stories about being caught with alcohol. Upon reading some of the other boards there seems to be threads for this. Just curious how difficult it is to sneak on booze and what happens when/if you're caught.

Tried it once, got caught and the worst part, it was an accident (sort of) we had any booze. We were in NOLA the night before, wanted to have a drink in our room so we stopped at a liquor store. they had 1/2 pints of Jim beam on sale 2 for 1 or something like that: I know it was a 2 fre special. Anyway we bought 2, only drank one and sturck the other in our shipped luggage. Sure enough, the letter of greeting was on our door after lunch. Hubby went to the naughty room, opened the luggage, the nice? man took it and gave Pat a receipt to redeam it at the end of the cruise. We didn't bother, it wasn't worth the hassle.

Nita

If you get caught, they call you to the naughty room, make you open your bag and they take it away from you. If it's in sealed, original packaging, they give it back at the end of the trip. If it's in something like a rum runner, they dispose of it. Nothing scary happens. Hundreds of people get called to the naughty room on every cruise.

yep on ours (the time we got busted) as Pat went to the elevator I saw a few other couples with letters in their hands, smart mouth me said to them "whopps, you got busted to I see" they didn't apprciate my comments. I thought is was funny.

Nita

yep on ours (the time we got busted) as Pat went to the elevator I saw a few other couples with letters in their hands, smart mouth me said to them "whopps, you got busted to I see" they didn't apprciate my comments. I thought is was funny.

Nita

The difference was that they were probably trying to get away with something and were pi$$ed they got caught.

PE

we were summoned once to the naughty room. First we worried about our suitcase not appearing along with another smaller one. We called the desk and she asked if we had anything in there that shouldn't be and when I told her 'no', she assured me that it would show up eventually. Then later, after dinner, we call 'the call'.

This was on the Sun when it was out of Houston a few years ago. Anyway, we go and stand in line and eventully get inside and to our suitcase and it gets openned and DH is asked to open his shaving kit!?????

Inside was a....(drumroll please!)

2.5 ounce bottle of Old Spice Cologne!!!!!!

I did say something like 'you've got to be kidding me' and he just shrugged and sent us on our way. I didn't holler too much (now I wish I had!) because I was so relieved that the bag with 90% of our clothes wasn't lost completely.

That ship - that time - had a very strange way of doing things. The liquor we bought on board was not delivered to our room on the last night as has been the case on every other cruise we've ever been on. We had to pick it up at this same 'naughty room' the morning we disembarked. That line was VERY long and it took me over 1/2 an hour to get to the door/window. EVERYONE was complaining as we were waiting and for good reason!!

The difference was that they were probably trying to get away with something and were pi$$ed they got caught.

PE

I know, it kinda made me laugh. But what made me laugh even more was me, the lecturer of not breaking the rules and we did. We were traveling with a large group and having a cocktail party the first night in one of the suites. I just walked in and said: Pat isn't here yet: busted. They all knew what had happened. If nothing else it has toned me down on my lecturing.

Nita

Nita

Nobody likes to have salt rubbed in their wounds. Not surprised at their reaction.

we were summoned once to the naughty room. First we worried about our suitcase not appearing along with another smaller one. We called the desk and she asked if we had anything in there that shouldn't be and when I told her 'no', she assured me that it would show up eventually. Then later, after dinner, we call 'the call'.

This was on the Sun when it was out of Houston a few years ago. Anyway, we go and stand in line and eventully get inside and to our suitcase and it gets openned and DH is asked to open his shaving kit!?????

Inside was a....(drumroll please!)

2.5 ounce bottle of Old Spice Cologne!!!!!!

I did say something like 'you've got to be kidding me' and he just shrugged and sent us on our way. I didn't holler too much (now I wish I had!) because I was so relieved that the bag with 90% of our clothes wasn't lost completely.

That ship - that time - had a very strange way of doing things. The liquor we bought on board was not delivered to our room on the last night as has been the case on every other cruise we've ever been on. We had to pick it up at this same 'naughty room' the morning we disembarked. That line was VERY long and it took me over 1/2 an hour to get to the door/window. EVERYONE was complaining as we were waiting and for good reason!!

Most of the lines are now having you pick it up someplace and they no longer deliver. At least Princess and HAL did not as well as NCL. I don't remember the Sun going out of Houston. The Sea did for years and before that another ship, but not the Sun unless they did for awhile after Katrina but that was almsot 6 years ago.

Nita

Yes, out of curiosity I found the paper work for that cruise......we sailed on 12/4/05. (And we had sailed from that same port on the Sea a few years before that). And yes, it was due to Katrina because I crossed out NO as the 'embark city'.

Looking at this paper work, we booked a K inside for $359 plus tx and fees. A week or so before we sailed, we got a call from the upsell fairy and for $100 pp we went to BA 0038. The TA first called and said the offer from NCL was $200 pp for a balcony and we said no. A couple of days later the TA called back and said we could have it for $100 each and I said 'yes, yes, yes' because I had kind of regretted turning down the first offer. We had a great time but for the couple of incidents I noted before!!

This isn't as odd as you would think. I have seen a couple of instances where this exact thing occurred.

The explaination I got from a couple of HDs was that when the confiscated liquor is returned on the last day, they run into a lot of people who try to "tie one on" and finish off ALL of their booze so they don't have to take it home.

As you can imagine, extrememly drunk passengers can cause a lot of unwanted problems for the ship's crew and for other guests (not to mention that they can endanger themselves).

So the thought process is that if you give the guests their liquor on the next to last day, they try to drink it and party. If you give it to them on the last morning, they simply take it home with them.

As an aside....

I was on the Sky last month and they actually had the Naughty Room in two places (one port and one starboard) right off of the main atrium. So everyone in and passing through the atrium got to see the people in line to open their suitcases and lose their booze.

I'm attaching some pics....

DSC01051.jpg.cd0f00f8efc5ed8c1dda21f08e6d0604.jpg

DSC01052.jpg.e0daf6f0cec530c274cc3fe8544efdc7.jpg

Nobody likes to have salt rubbed in their wounds. Not surprised at their reaction.

I would agree except we were in the same boat. If we hadn't been I would not have been tacky enough to comment for heavens' sake. Where did a sense of humor go? I guess it disappeared with the entitlement generation.

Nita

I've never had the alcohol in my checked bags discovered/taken away...I used rum runners once, then said "f it" and just put the bottles in there. I guess it's just the luck of the draw (or however that saying goes).

side note: I know that with RCCL at least, I've literally had a drink in my hand (like a mini champagne or something of the like) while embarking but don't recall with NCL..

Oh, the one time they saw I had two bottles of wine in my carry on, they just charged me $15/bottle corking fee

DW got busted because she had an iron in her suitcase. When we went to the naughty room, they took the iron and I asked them if I could drink the booze she had in the iron !!

It got a laugh out of everybody within hearing distance !!

The sad part is that many of them had no idea that you were being serious! :p;)

We were called to the Naughty Room last month on our Pearl cruise.

We do not drink and would never even think of bringing alcohol on board. We went to the Naughty Room and had to wait a good 25 - 30 minutes for our turn to have our luggage opened and examined. What did they find? A spray can of sun tan lotion that they thought was alcohol.

I can see their policies, but it seems if they are actually inconveniencing someone for no reason, they should provide something in return! I let them know of my displeasure. They blamed it all on the dock hands, who the representative said were non-NCL employees. Whatever!!

Something like a discount coupon to a speciality restaurant or a discount on photos would have made the unpleasant experience at least somewhat more palatable. We felt they should have done at least something to compensate for our 30 minutes of wasted time... oh well!

We'll be back, but not sure if we will be bringing a spray can of sun tan lotion next time.

Happy cruisin' everyone!

So, how far do they make you dig in your bags? If you open your bag and have a bottle of wine sitting there could you just give them that and not tell them about the large amounts of alcohol hiding at the bottom of the bag?

LOL, I dont know about initial embarkation port but we have done exactly that at ports of call as well as just putting the alcohol in liter bottles of water and just carrying it on in full view:)

So, how far do they make you dig in your bags? If you open your bag and have a bottle of wine sitting there could you just give them that and not tell them about the large amounts of alcohol hiding at the bottom of the bag?

They dig pretty good - but you are right, we got called down on the Epic, my wife and I each had a 3L wine bladder in our bags. They opened hers and saw all sorts of shampoos and whatever else women pack and stopped there. For mine they did some deep diving to discover my wine.

Standing in line at the "naughty room":

Archived