Transatlantic?

gcorgain

Hi,

I'm sorry, but on this occasion I cannot agree with FBlack. We have been on numerous Transatlantics (love the sea days) and there is so much to fit in. Of course its up to the individual what they plan to do with their day, but our experience is of fun filled days and nights.

I agree with FBlack. I have been on numerous transatlantics and Celebrity does not have much aside from lectures, Bingo, and trivia and maybe a movie during the sea days. RCI actually has a lot more to do on their transatlantics. You kind of make your own fun and activities on Celebrity. That is why those sea days are so restful and relaxing. :)

The S-Class ships do have a lot going on in the Lawn Club during transatlantics. They have Hot Glass shows twice per day on sea days (very popular and well attended). They also have various contests on the Lawn such as bocce ball tournaments, golf putting tournaments, Lawn Olympics, senior officer vs. guest challenges etc. There definitely is some down time in the schedule, but most days I found at least 3-4 activities I wanted to attend. As others have said, part of the time you do have to make your own entertainment, be it having a cocktail, reading, taking a nap, working out at the gym, taking in a movie etc.

I just love the TA cruises. Will be on the Eclipse this April and the Connie in November. I find there is more than enough to do. Generally enjoy the lectures. On the Equinox we had three lecturers including Shirley Jones, who made three presentations discussing her life on Broadway and in Hollywood. At times I needed to decide between two activities, but there were some quiet times. I find that "relaxing" can be a welcomed and wonderful activity. You'll find many very experienced travelers on a TA so conversation can be interesting.

I read with interest about the Transatlantic and we are thinking about doing one on Celebrity later in the year, the only one that I see that is of interest is either in October or November. I had heard that at the latter part of October many shops in the cities are closed up. I want to know if it's a different experience in regard to what is really available in ports and shopping that late in the year. Is the weather much rainer and colder or is earlier in the year the better option. I really hope the wonderful experienced cruisers will help us on this one. We will be celebrating our 25the wedding anniversary and really want to make it a great expereince as this will be our first cruise overseas, we've done 4 in two years so we are hooked on cruising. Please any advise is welcomed.

I read with interest about the Transatlantic and we are thinking about doing one on Celebrity later in the year, the only one that I see that is of interest is either in October or November. I had heard that at the latter part of October many shops in the cities are closed up. I want to know if it's a different experience in regard to what is really available in ports and shopping that late in the year. Is the weather much rainer and colder or is earlier in the year the better option. I really hope the wonderful experienced cruisers will help us on this one. We will be celebrating our 25the wedding anniversary and really want to make it a great expereince as this will be our first cruise overseas, we've done 4 in two years so we are hooked on cruising. Please any advise is welcomed.

It's actually on of the best times of year to go. (my opinion) Less heat, less crowds, the only place we visited where shops were closed was Eze village, in France. We were still able to wander the streets there & it was very peaceful. Villefranche (about a 10 -15 minute bus ride was completely open & gorgeous. Rome, Florence, Barcelona, Cartagena, all open & good to go. Madeira a few places closed, but I think that was because we were there on a sunday.

Yes, we hit some rain, but no real downpours. Our kids have done Europe in the summer months several times now because of school...It's hot & crowded then, but they don't have a choice.

Hit a few rough patches on the crossing, where the pool would close for a few hours, but otherwise beautiful!

We're going in the end of October for our 25th too! Happy anniversary & good luck! Try the port boards for real details, lots of experts there!

We sailed out of Barcelona on the Constellation's Westbound TA in November, 2010. We had five ports--three along the Mediterranean and two on islands in the Atlantic. All five ports had warm to hot sunny weather. Nothing seemed to be closed for the season anywhere. Go for it!

Bon Voyage

Betsy

We did a transatlantic in Nov./Dec. of 2009 and were disappointed that so many of the shops and restaurants in France (Cherbourg and the WWII battlefields, Honfleur, and LeHavre) were closed for the season. We just wanted to pick up some little souvenirs and sit at a cafe and have some good food or crepes. We ended up at a McDonald's for lunch near the battlefields and it just wasn't what we envisioned. The weather the day we were there was cool, windy, and rainy. Of course, it was a wonderful experience, but we were just a bit disappointed with it. LeHavre does have a wonderful mall (Coty mall) and it was beautifully decorated for Christmas. There is also a wonderful chocolatier right across the street from there. I am not sure of your itinerary, but I am positive you can still have a wonderful experience. We are on the Eclipse TA at that time of the year this year and I am sure looking forward to it, no matter what the weather or what is closed/open. If this is your first cruise in Europe, it will be awsome anyway (plus no crowds). Happy 25th anniversary!

We have done 4 fall transatlantics - Barcelona to FL - in Sept 2001, Oct. 2003, Nov. 2005, and Dec 2007. Of the four, the warmest was the one in Dec. So weather is really luck of the draw.

And we really thought there was plenty to do - but we do tranatlantics - especially westbound ones - for the idea of resting and relaxing. The good thing about a westbound transatlantic - at least for those of us not from Europe - is that all the heavy touring is at the front of trip with all those wonderful sea days to rest up. Our first transatlantic was our very first cruise where we came home totally rested. We enjoyed our other cruises but a lot of times, especially on cruises with new ports, we were still a little tired.

We did our ideal vacation a 14 night Med backed up with the transatlantic. After the Med cruise with 12 port days in ports that we had never been to before, we really looked forward to the transatlantic to rest up.

On a whole, we found a majority of the shops and restaurants open as well as the sightseeing attractions - the exception being some shops closed on a Sunday or holiday. But again, we were in the Med, ports on our various trans included: Villefranche, Barcelona, Malaga, Cadiz, Gibraltar, Canaray Islands, and Maidera.

We sailed out of Barcelona on the Constellation's Westbound TA in November, 2010. We had five ports--three along the Mediterranean and two on islands in the Atlantic. All five ports had warm to hot sunny weather. Nothing seemed to be closed for the season anywhere. Go for it!

Bon Voyage

Betsy

That was our experience on our Solstice TA a year ago in November on the Solstice. Great cruise!!!! It is important to do the ones going to south Florida and not NJ/NY. The NJ/NY route is not as warm.

Archived