Costa Maya question

Motleu

The prevailing wisdom on the boards is that the MayaChan beach experience is the best in Costa Maya, however, it is sold out for March 30th, the day that Radiance will be in port. Liberty OTS will also be there as well. Can anyone offer alternative beach experience advice? Costs? Atmosphere? Activities? Thanks!

The prevailing wisdom on the boards is that the MayaChan beach experience is the best in Costa Maya, however, it is sold out for March 30th, the day that Radiance will be in port. Liberty OTS will also be there as well. Can anyone offer alternative beach experience advice? Costs? Atmosphere? Activities? Thanks!

This isn't really a beach excursion, but we did the ATV and then beach (about 45 min. on the beach) and it was really fun. They imply it's a jungle that you ride through but it was not. I liked it so much that we are doing an ATV excursion in Jamaica in a few weeks. I am usually a beach person. If they offer this combo-it was really a good time. I thought the peopel of Costa Maya were very kind and I would like to visit this port again!

Karen

take either the bus or a taxi over to the fishing village (spelling is wrong) Mayahaul. Relax on the beach, eat from FRESH fish, swim, negotiate for a snorkel trip to the reef, anything you want ot do..taxi costs $3.00 beach, water and sun free...Note, if you take a table, the restaurant behind that beach will expect you to secure your beverages from them and they will offer interesting menus...

We just did Nohoch Kay. It is the last beach club on the strip, just past the school. It is quiet, the English perfectly spoken by Jaime and his staff (they are bi-racial). I can't wait to go back. The food was incredible and its all inclusive. They have kayacks you can use and float mats. Ship crew like coming here, we chatted with the bartender from the Sky Bar on Radiance, Jaime said he comes every week! One of the wives (a tall red head) is a certified licensed massage therapist. She was great.It was $40 pp. If you want quiet go here. If you want a party scene, go to Pez Quatro or Quinto Sol. We've been to these places too. While at Nohoch we had rented wave runners and had to go to Quinto Sol for it, they gave us taxi money back to the port and free drinks while waiting for our turn on the wave runner. The hosts at all 3 are great. But Jaime (pronounced Hymie) at Nohoch Kay takes great pride in making sure you don't have to worry or think about anything. Here are the links. If you pick Quinto Sol, just tell the cab driver that's where you want to go

http://costamayacruiseexcursions.com/CostaMayaBeach.htm

http://www.mahahualhotel.com/costamaya/beachbreak_costamaya.htm

I agree with WolfCatHorse completely, was just there last week on the Spirit, Nohoch Kay is awesome, great people great food. We even did some fly fishing with a British expat Nick for a fraction of the price of any other fly fishing Ive ever seen and I caught Bonefish! Thats one off the bucket list! Highlight of the cruise.

Tracy the massous (spelling?) was far better than the ship and as ive learnt since better than the cheaper back rubbers further up the beach, worth the extra 10 bucks.

Hope you do it, you cant go wrong.

If you want to see a beautiful reef, go into town ($3 taxi ride) go over to the beach area and find someone who will take you on a 2 stop snorkel trip and will go to the most southern reef. We got it for $60 for both of us instead of the $68 the ship charges. The people we talked to that left in a boat from the ship did not see the beautiful reef that we saw. WE went back to the ship after the tour because we live on a beach and that was not our option of being there.:D

is the beach right off the port area worth while?

any feedback is most welcome!

thanks in advance:)

No. It is a place to sit in the sun, but difficult to get into the water -- rocky. Best is to get a cab to the village of Majuhual and find a spot on the beach there. Cab is or was this past January $3pp to and $2pp back. Good restaurants (read cheap) and good drinks (read cheap.)

One of our favorite ports. Really a laid back and relaxing day.

No. It is a place to sit in the sun, but difficult to get into the water -- rocky. Best is to get a cab to the village of Majuhual and find a spot on the beach there. Cab is or was this past January $3pp to and $2pp back. Good restaurants (read cheap) and good drinks (read cheap.)

One of our favorite ports. Really a laid back and relaxing day.

thank you for such a directed answer to my question

there has been a few suggestions on this board

where did you go?

• 3 weeks later...
If you want to see a beautiful reef, go into town ($3 taxi ride) go over to the beach area and find someone who will take you on a 2 stop snorkel trip and will go to the most southern reef. We got it for $60 for both of us instead of the $68 the ship charges. The people we talked to that left in a boat from the ship did not see the beautiful reef that we saw. WE went back to the ship after the tour because we live on a beach and that was not our option of being there.:D

Do you happen to know where they took you to? Or the name of the place that you went with?

• 9 months later...
Mitsu..did you ever find this out? was it the beach where your daughter got many bites?

My daughter (and us) was ate up on the entire island from getting off of the ship to being at Maya Chan. (It's not like that all the time and it happens on different islands). I think it just depends on the time of year and the weather. We were there the day after they had had days of rain and I guess it brought them out. The people at Maya Chan also said that it was the time of the month for the bugs too. :(

We were in Costa Maya twice- both times we went to Maya Chan- we have been to ruins other places and didn't see any other excursion that interested us. One trip the weather was perfect and we did all the water stuff, plus the great food and drink. The 2nd time was after bad weather- it was a lovely day, but the water was murky, so no good for snorkling, so we had more of a social day with the people from our ship- my husband was adopted by a lovely 30- something woman who mentioned that she and her husband were thinking about adopting- Charlie volunteered!! Another wonderful day- I would not go to Costa Maya without planning to visit the Ostrows and their wonderful staff at the day resort. By the time you leave you feel like you are leaving good friends.;)

Did you like Maya Chan? If you had it to do over would you have done something else?

As you no doubt have read we have been bumped from Belize. There goes all the cave tubing planning! Now can not decide what to do:confused:

We LOVED Maya Chan. It was so relaxing, plenty to do, the staff was WONDERFUL, and the food was so good!!! :D

If we had to do it all over again...definitely!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I agree with WolfCatHorse completely, was just there last week on the Spirit, Nohoch Kay is awesome, great people great food. We even did some fly fishing with a British expat Nick for a fraction of the price of any other fly fishing Ive ever seen and I caught Bonefish! Thats one off the bucket list! Highlight of the cruise.

Tracy the massous (spelling?) was far better than the ship and as ive learnt since better than the cheaper back rubbers further up the beach, worth the extra 10 bucks.

Hope you do it, you cant go wrong.

Hi Fisherboy, We are going on the Spirit on march 18 and am so excited about it. What was the weather like in Costa? How was the ship? Was the pool warm? I can't wait!!!

Archived