Chef's tour and Dinner Table

DrSch

I love my food, but there's no way I could eat all that. Would be a complete waste of money. I would rather go to the steakhouse and that's an enormous portion! But all those courses? Never!

The money is not the question, it is all about the experience. No one says you have to eat all the food they put in front of you.. tasting the pasta was enough, half the lamb and steak was fine too.

Seeing the kitchen, learning how they feed 3000 people nightly, meeting the executive chef and key personel, and enjoying an amazing dinner to me was more than worth 75.00, and with all the wine included it was a bargin.

The money is not the question, it is all about the experience. No one says you have to eat all the food they put in front of you.. tasting the pasta was enough, half the lamb and steak was fine too.

Seeing the kitchen, learning how they feed 3000 people nightly, meeting the executive chef and key personel, and enjoying an amazing dinner to me was more than worth 75.00, and with all the wine included it was a bargin.

I agree, but I did keep wondering how to get all that food to the starving people of the world!!! Wish they would just cut back the portion size a bit. Like 75% maybe????LOL.

The kitchen tour and info was fantastic and the company was great (several from these boards!)

Just returned from cruise aboard Island Princess and was fortunate enough to be among the 10 (of 36 who signed up) selected to participate in the Chef's Table. Maitre'd Jose says he considers several factors in selecting those to participate. Calling the Dine Line was the first thing we did upon boarding the ship. It was a wonderful evening and an experience we will try to repeat whenever we cruise on Princess.

Is there an age limit? We're going on the Sapphire Princess in November and DD loves to cook as much as I do. She'll be 15 when we sail but didn't know if it was something they'd let her do because of her age.

There is no reason that I can see why she would not be allowed - nothing R rated except the wine. They allow non drinkers to sign on for $60.00. Be warned however that it is a long evening with lots of sitting....

Well said.....:):):)

Bob

Well,maybe not to you. but to me the money is the question. There is no way I would want to waste all that lovely food, when some parts of the world are starving. I can think of better ways to spend all that money! There's more than enough food on the ship anyway. Good job we're all different.

Well,maybe not to you. but to me the money is the question. There is no way I would want to waste all that lovely food, when some parts of the world are starving. I can think of better ways to spend all that money! There's more than enough food on the ship anyway. Good job we're all different.

What I am saying is that you are not paying 75.00 for the food. You are paying the money for the experience. If this experience is not something that would interest you, then it isn't something you should do. People on the cruise were paying that much or more to go on booze cruises when they arrived in different ports. I wouldn't spend my money on a booze cruise, I can get sloppy drunk anywhere, I don't need to do it somewhere where the snorkeling is amazing.

I am not sitting here and judging the people that spent money to sit on a boat and drink rum runners.. I wouldn't say they wasted their money.. I would say that it is not how I wanted to spend my vacation, and not an experience that I wanted to enjoy.

You make it quiete clear that this is not something you would enjoy. Say that. Try saying "This is something I would not enjoy", instead of feeling it is necessary to denegrate people that enjoyed it by saying "its not worth the money", or telling me there are people starving in China. There is so much food on that ship, the never ending buffets, the ice cream and pizza that are served until midnight, and all the food available between meals at the International Cafe. 12 Lobsters, 2 racks of lamb, and 2 Filets really didn't even dent the food locker.

If you are that against food waste, then cruising isn't for you. One thing we learned on the tour, is that no food is used for the next day's meals. That is to say, if they cook it, and no one eats it, it gets thrown down the chute and ground up, and dumped in the Ocean at some point.

Is there an age limit? We're going on the Sapphire Princess in November and DD loves to cook as much as I do. She'll be 15 when we sail but didn't know if it was something they'd let her do because of her age.

I think the real question is, would a 15 year old girl enjoy it, and if not, would her distemperment reduce the experience for the people at the table that are trying to enjoy it? Sounds like from what you are saying that she would enjoy seeing the kitchen, and the meal as well, but show her the pictures and ask her if it's something she would like.

Also, Liz should tell you about the cooking tour she did in Dominica :)

DrSch - we were at the Chef's Table also on that sailing, but not the night you were there. Our menu was a little different and also beyond fantastic. We did not have lobster in the main course, but did have it in the fabulous Risotto. Thank you for sharing your photos.

What I am saying is that you are not paying 75.00 for the food. You are paying the money for the experience. If this experience is not something that would interest you, then it isn't something you should do. People on the cruise were paying that much or more to go on booze cruises when they arrived in different ports. I wouldn't spend my money on a booze cruise, I can get sloppy drunk anywhere, I don't need to do it somewhere where the snorkeling is amazing.

I am not sitting here and judging the people that spent money to sit on a boat and drink rum runners.. I wouldn't say they wasted their money.. I would say that it is not how I wanted to spend my vacation, and not an experience that I wanted to enjoy.

You make it quiete clear that this is not something you would enjoy. Say that. Try saying "This is something I would not enjoy", instead of feeling it is necessary to denegrate people that enjoyed it by saying "its not worth the money", or telling me there are people starving in China. There is so much food on that ship, the never ending buffets, the ice cream and pizza that are served until midnight, and all the food available between meals at the International Cafe. 12 Lobsters, 2 racks of lamb, and 2 Filets really didn't even dent the food locker.

If you are that against food waste, then cruising isn't for you. One thing we learned on the tour, is that no food is used for the next day's meals. That is to say, if they cook it, and no one eats it, it gets thrown down the chute and ground up, and dumped in the Ocean at some point.

Calm down, it''s only a mesaage board. It's a public board too. Why do people have to get so ratty!

The cooking tour I did in Dominica was with a woman called Daria. You get met at the ship and taken on a quick tour in a mini van, ending up at Daria's house where the group cooks a meal and eats it. Lots of local ingrediants, a very interesting family and definately might interest a 15 year old.

The cooking tour I did in Dominica was with a woman called Daria. You get met at the ship and taken on a quick tour in a mini van, ending up at Daria's house where the group cooks a meal and eats it. Lots of local ingrediants, a very interesting family and definately might interest a 15 year old.

DH and I did a cooking tour in Puerta Vallarta several years ago. It was among the best shore excursions we've done, and we have many fond memories of the Mexican lunch that was prepared with our fellow passengers on the Dawn Princess.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

We've done this twice and the menu was different each time. It's totally worth the money........ but maybe not for everyone.

Probably won't do it on our next cruise as it's very port intensive.

Will try to go on my South America cruise next March, as my friend has never been on a cruise, and loves good food and presentation:D

Since we first heard about it I've been trying to persuade big brother that we should do it. I thought the wonderful photos (even though he won't eat cheese) might do it. His comment - there is a lot of food we wouldn't be able to eat what's put in front of us. I tried the next tack - you don't have to eat all the food just try it and see what you like.

For his birthday I said I'd pay but it sounds like the Crown Grill is going to be his choice. Course it won't stop me putting our names down and as long as we are picked and it isn't followed by a day of excursions (he said he was too full the day after the last Crown Grill meal) I think I can get him to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to hijack this board, but it sounds like you have to sign up as soon as you get on the ship - and 1:00 is the earliest to board as per itinerary. However, we want to do the Prince William Sound tour which doesn't get back until 5:30. Does that mean we'll lose out on the Chef's Table - which is a pretty big priority for us :-(

[quote name='natesfirewife']Is there an age limit? We're going on the Sapphire Princess in November and DD loves to cook as much as I do. She'll be 15 when we sail but didn't know if it was something they'd let her do because of her age.[/QUOTE]

Last year, a family was going to do the Chef's Table with three children... all under 12. I'm glad we were not on their table...;)

[quote name='wbmom401']Has anyone done this while on an Alaskan Cruise? I am just wondering if it makes sense to do this on a Day we are in port if possible? It sounds like it takes alot of time, anyone have an estimate of time?

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Last year, we did the Chef's Table on the [I]Sea Princess[/I]. It was held on a sea day, but we had more sea days because it was a 10-day cruise. The tour and the meal was over three hours... closer to 4 hours.

[quote name='roundpond']Sorry to hijack this board, but it sounds like you have to sign up as soon as you get on the ship - and 1:00 is the earliest to board as per itinerary. However, we want to do the Prince William Sound tour which doesn't get back until 5:30. Does that mean we'll lose out on the Chef's Table - which is a pretty big priority for us :-([/QUOTE]

In most cases you can get to the dock at 10:30-11ish and you'll be aboard by noon.

Here's pics from our Chef's Table over New Year's on the [I]Crown Princess[/I].
[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcekparian/sets/72157625779667232/[/url]

And pics from the [I]Sea Princess[/I]... the Chef's Table pics are in the middle...
[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcekparian/sets/72157624523435307/[/url]

Chef's Table experience is amazing! We did it on the Golden Princess last year and called the Dine line when we got to our cabin. Did have to go for an "interview" with the maitre'd
to make sure we did not have food issues. There were some(shell fish, pork) but we were able to work around them. We had a memorable eating experience and enjoyable evening..got the photo and the cookbook which the chef autographed as well as the maitre'd. Will do it again!!!
P.S. It is amazing to see the creativity of the chef in the way they present desserts and how much they want to please us the Princess cruiser.

[quote name='grandmaa']Chef's Table experience is amazing! We did it on the Golden Princess last year and called the Dine line when we got to our cabin. Did have to go for an "interview" with the maitre'd
to make sure we did not have food issues. There were some(shell fish, pork) but we were able to work around them. We had a memorable eating experience and enjoyable evening..got the photo and the cookbook which the chef autographed as well as the maitre'd. Will do it again!!!
P.S. It is amazing to see the creativity of the chef in the way they present desserts and how much they want to please us the Princess cruiser.[/QUOTE]

That is one of the things that I most enjoyed about the Chef's Table. Everyone involved had the greatest enthusiasm for the whole experience. The maitre'd put on a show. The head chef enjoyed cooking a special meal. He especially enjoyed fielding cooking questions during our galley tour... found out some cool techniques! The pastry chef came out to explain how he created the sugar bowls for the dessert. The team of waiters were very attentive. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the meal. But yeah, you definitely have to go very hungry or just have a nibble of everything presented. :)

Archived