Galveston Port closed?

GreenZolie

Perhaps this will be like the Splendor...the truth eventually gets out about how things really were on the ship, and it turns out to be way better than anyone off the ship thought. :)

Perspective changes once you are on the ship and eating a great meal, lol. It's the hours and hours of waiting beforehand that is so unpleasant. I am glad they will be on their way soon.

Thinking about calling my PVP & seeing what kind of Last Minute Deal I can score. $ 100.00 cruise & I will be there.

I was thinking the same thing! We caught a $99 cruise to nowhere a couple hurricane seasons ago and it was fabulous!

thanks, it is still cool to know there is another cam..

Does anyone know how to find out if FOG is in the forcast for Thursday?? We hope to avoid this saga on Thursday, we leave on Ecstasy then, we HOPE!:o

I posted this for you on the RCCL thread but here goes

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Galveston&state=TX&site=HGX&textField1=29.3&textField2=-94.795&e=0

I'm no weather person but reading the forecast discussion it sounds like patch fog through Wednesday, but so far not in the forecast for Thursday. Rain and storms possible though on Thursday. Fingers crossed for you.

Latest from Carnival:

PORT OF GALVESTON STATEMENT

Feb. 21, 2011

9 am CST

Carnival Ecstasy’s departure from Galveston is now scheduled for noon CST today. The ship has been delayed due to severe fog and near zero visibility at the Port of Galveston. The ship was not able to enter the Port of Galveston from its previous cruise until yesterday afternoon, approximately one day later than scheduled because of the severe fog. It has been waiting for the fog to clear to depart on its next voyage.

Because of its delayed arrival and subsequent delayed departure, Carnival Ecstasy will now sail on a modified three-day cruise that will return on Thursday, Feb. 24 (originally, the ship was scheduled to sail on a five-day cruise to Cozumel and Progreso operating Saturday to Thursday).

Guests have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund, a 25 percent discount off a future two- to five-day voyage and a $45 per person meal allowance. Guests who opt to sail on the modified three-day cruise will receive a 50 percent refund of their cruise fare, a 50 percent discount on a future two- to five-day cruise, and $45 per person meal allowance in the form of a shipboard credit.

i posted this for you on the rccl thread but here goes

http://forecast.weather.gov/mapclick.php?cityname=galveston&state=tx&site=hgx&textfield1=29.3&textfield2=-94.795&e=0

i'm no weather person but reading the forecast discussion it sounds like patch fog through wednesday, but so far not in the forecast for thursday. Rain and storms possible though on thursday. Fingers crossed for you.

((((((wrona)))))

I think Carnival is being very fair with their compensation offers.

They need to be. They are a Travel & Leisure company. People will remember the problems far more quickly than the fun when it comes time to purchase again. By them making Fair & somewhat Generous offers, they will keep most people coming back to them. Brand Loyalty is important in this industry. Just look at the Airlines, they dont care about the vacation traveler because they only fly once or twice a year. But they bend over backwards for that Business traveller & want to make sure they stay Brand Loyal to them.

I think Carnival is being very fair with their compensation offers.

I agree, especially since almost all the issues were out of Carnival's hands. I have been reading some of the Twitter feeds between @CCLSupport and several affected guests. While they have the right to be upset, the demands many are making are laughable.

I agree, especially since almost all the issues were out of Carnival's hands. I have been reading some of the Twitter feeds between @CCLSupport and several affected guests. While they have the right to be upset, the demands many are making are laughable.

Yeah, I definitely don't agree with making demands in situations like this. When we decided to cut our losses and leave the island Saturday night, we accepted the fact the fare money was lost. If it turns out we get a credit, it will feel like a bonus!

In our case, we *probably* won't be able to cruise again this year, even if we get a credit. So 75% of my disappointment Saturday night was the lost opportunity, not the lost money. However, for many, many people, the lost money IS a big deal.

Guests who opt to sail on the modified three-day cruise will receive a 50 percent refund of their cruise fare, a 50 percent discount on a future two- to five-day cruise, and $45 per person meal allowance in the form of a shipboard credit.

I'd take that offer in a heartbeat

Give us an idea. I need a few laughs. I am sure there are some saying they want the following;

1. Full Refund of Cruise Fare, Large OBC Credit for this cruise, Free Cruise in the Future and I am sure even more.

Guests who opt to sail on the modified three-day cruise will receive a 50 percent refund of their cruise fare, a 50 percent discount on a future two- to five-day cruise, and $45 per person meal allowance in the form of a shipboard credit.

I'd be all over that! :D

Latest from Carnival:

Feb. 21, 2011

9 am CST

Carnival Ecstasy’s departure from Galveston is now scheduled for noon CST today. The ship has been delayed due to severe fog and near zero visibility at the Port of Galveston. The ship was not able to enter the Port of Galveston from its previous cruise until yesterday afternoon, approximately one day later than scheduled because of the severe fog. It has been waiting for the fog to clear to depart on its next voyage.

Because of its delayed arrival and subsequent delayed departure, Carnival Ecstasy will now sail on a modified three-day cruise that will return on Thursday, Feb. 24 (originally, the ship was scheduled to sail on a five-day cruise to Cozumel and Progreso operating Saturday to Thursday).

Guests have the option of cancelling and receiving a full refund, a 25 percent discount off a future two- to five-day voyage and a $45 per person meal allowance. Guests who opt to sail on the modified three-day cruise will receive a 50 percent refund of their cruise fare, a 50 percent discount on a future two- to five-day cruise, and $45 per person meal allowance in the form of a shipboard credit.

Well this is great news for those who are cancelling. I wish they had had this same policy last year!!! The same thing happened with Ecstasy coming in a day late. I was booked on it and decided not to go on the three day cruise to nowhere. Well they kept my money and gave me 24 months to book another cruise... wish they'd considered a refund!!! There was no $45 credit and no 50% off the next 4 or 5 day cruise either. So these folks are very fortunate.

Latest from Carnival:

Feb. 21, 2011

9 am CST

I think this is incredibly generous. Thank you for posting the info.

I'd take that offer in a heartbeat

Yep! Between the 50% refund and 50% discount, depending on prices for the future cruise, it looks like they'd be getting close to 100% credit for the cruise cost. And they are enjoying their modified 3-day cruise.

I'd definitely be down for that.

Yeah, I definitely don't agree with making demands in situations like this. When we decided to cut our losses and leave the island Saturday night, we accepted the fact the fare money was lost. If it turns out we get a credit, it will feel like a bonus!

In our case, we *probably* won't be able to cruise again this year, even if we get a credit. So 75% of my disappointment Saturday night was the lost opportunity, not the lost money. However, for many, many people, the lost money IS a big deal.

I know it sucks big time, and I am so sorry for all the affected passengers. But why do you keep posting about the lost fare/money, when they stated early yesterday (or Saturday?) that guests who chose to cancel would be given 100% refund? Are you talking air fare & other expenses perhaps?

Archived