Onboard internet-fast enough to do work?

PAERRN20

From the ship, is it possible to Remote Desktop to a server somewhere? The RDP client is standard for Windows PCs. Type MSTSC from the start menu to bring up the connection. When connected, only the remote server's screen comes to the ship. The actual upload/download of stuff happens fast as usual on the server.

Unless you need to actually work offline on a laptop and upload/download when connected, you can just do all the work on the remote server and should have no speed issues at all, aside from a possible slow screen refresh.

Anyone tried this?

The speeds are much better now but the answer to your question really is yes, no, maybe. Yes you will be able to get some work done, no you will not always have higher speeds, and maybe even several hours with no or limited access. I have found if it is really important do it in port, before the ship has left the dock.

Ok. So I really will try to have everything ready.

I'm glad this thread exists, even if it is older. It certainly has answered some of my questions. I understand that for Carnival, at least, it is charged per day and not per minute? My husband and I are both doctoral students and we will have as much of our required work done prior to sailing, but will have to post on certain dates. If we leave those in draft form, I suspect we can send them in a timely manner and not worry about taking time away from the reason we are there. :)

It’s by day (or week) now. But when this thread was started (2011) it was by the minute. In fact when I started cruising three years after this thread started, it was still by the minute.