Tell me how bad the ferry to Tulum is????

lynnquenby

We had planned on doing the NCL excursion to Tulum from Cozumel but I'm starting to get worried about how bad the ferry will be back over to the mainland.

Can anyone who has done this fill me in...please be honest! This is the last port in our 2 week holiday and I really don't want it to be spoiled by a bad journey

Look forward to hearing your stories!!

Honestly- it wasn't too bad. We had a good sea day. But the trips ate up a lot of our time. Between the ferry and the bus trip- Tulum proper was rushed. I won't do a Mayan tour again unless it's land based. JMO.

If you are taking a large ferry back to your ship from Playa del Carman, you will be fine...however,if it is a smaller tender sized vessel, that is another story....we did that in Dec. 2005 from where Grand Princess was anchored off Cozumel to the mainland and seriously, I didn't think we were going to make it....the boat did a 360 turnaround out on the water(we thought he was heading back to the ship at first) and people were donning lifejackets...the boat was at every angle except flat on the water...when we finally reached the pier, most everyone was soaked although nobody lost their breakfast...it was an interesting journey to say the least

:D Okay, you have seen responses form a few folks that did not have any issues with quality of the ferry experience between Cozumel and Playa. But you know what, it really depends on the weather the day you take your excursion. The seas could be flat to calm and it could be the most enjoyable experience of your life. Or on the other hand the seas could be rough and choppy and it could be the most miserable experience of your life. We took this excursion a few years back and some people did become seasick on this moderately choppy trip. BTW we were on the large ferry! It a choice only you can make yourself, if you are sick on the trip over and back would that ruin your day? If your answer is yes, then don't do it!

We went over to Cozumel from a land based vaca last May. The way over to Cozumel was fine, the way back to Playa, they where handing out bags and it was rough. It can change quickly, so just because your ride over was great doesn't mean the other way will be just as good!

We did this last year from Cozumel for shore excursion to Tulum on a rather large ferry. On the way over it was relatively calm. On the way back it was very choppy with more than a few people becoming seasick. I started chewing peppermint gum on the way back and it seemed to help me with the nausea. I offered the rest of the gum I had to others, and it seemed to help them as well. Also a lot of people got wet, from a little bit to drenched. I agree with the other posters, you never know what the sea is going to be like. If you can take preventative measures and really want to go to Tulum, then go. If the worry is going to ruin the experience for you, it's not worth it.

It changes from day to day. We have been on the ferry 6 times now, most trips having a few waves. Of the 4 of us in our family, I am the only one who needs Bonine. So I take it, the others don't and we all have a great trip. Sometimes they show Mr. Bean programs on the ferry. Enjoy!

We were to Tulum in May...and if I am going to be totally honest I would have to say it was absoutely horrible. I had been taking bonine for the cruise, but that wasn't enough for the ferry ride. I took a gravol as well. There were so many people getting sick. There was a girl that walked around the boat handing out sick bags. I pretty much had my eyes closed and my ears plugged for 45 minutes.

I dreaded the trip back, but it wasn't as bad. We made the mistake of sitting inside on the way over thinking that the air conditioner would help. If possible so straight to the top and sit on the open deck.

Thanks to everyone who has posted with their experiences.

We've decided that we won't be taking the chance that we 'could' have a bad crossing. This will be our last port day and we wouldn't want a bad experience to be our finaly memory. Tulum will have to wait for a land based excusrion I think.

Thanks All.

:)

We were on vacation in Playa del Carmen and took the ferry over to Cozumel. The trip over was fine. We sat outside up top. We were sprayed with a little water, and covered with salt on our arms when we dried off, but I did not feel queasy.

On the way back we decided to sit inside and it was very choppy. The ferry had a hard time docking. I could not get off that thing fast enough. I really thought I was going to lose it. I had to push my way off when we docked and sat on the ground on the dock next to the armed guards. They laughed at me. My husband made it off a few minutes later and we went somewhere to sit down.

Good news was I was fine in about 10 minutes.

Another day we did a tour of Tulum and it was good. The best part is the beach down below. Absolutely beautiful.

On a land based trip to Playa, took the ferry to Coz , comfy and fun on the trip over, and actually thought I was going to die on the trip back. Not because I was sick but because a storm came up and with torrential rain and waves that were coming over the side of the ferry, I thought we would be washed away. My DH actually pulled down two life jackets from the overhead racks and we held on to them along with the pole that we both clung to. We bounced around for over an hour with land (playa) in sight but it was too rough to try and dock so we just went forward and backward.

We didn't even see it coming when we left Coz . This was mid-November though, which is known for storms.

I went deep sea fishing with my parents when I was 10 - and got seasick. Determined to not EVER let that happen again, anytime I am on a boat, ship or whatever on a lake, river or ocean... I take meclazine. The trip to Playa del Carmen was choppy, but I wasn't sick because of the medication. It was an interesting part of the adventure.

We did the ferry over to PDC, but I am not sure which one it was. It had several hundred people on board and it was bigger going up than coming back. Our trip up was very choppy and it was fine until one person got sick and then people all over the place started throwing up. I get sea sick really easy and it was our first cruise so I did not take anything beforehand. I plugged my ears and put my head between my legs and I managed to keep my lunch. The way back we sat on top in the open air and I did fine. It is funny everytime we talk about that trip we laugh about the "BarfBoat". It is actually one of our fondest memories. :D

DH was on it last week and days 3-4 pax were sick each way. I opted to not try it as I can get queazy easy, and he said it was a good call for me. He went to Tulum, and I did the mexican cooking class at Playa Mia.

Archived