A Few Fantasy Questions

saks

We (2 DD's, SO & myself) are leaving Charleston on March 18 for our first cruise----YAY!!! I do have a few questions though. Do the rooms in the Fantasy have fridges in them or will we need a cooler to keep ice in? I totally confussed about dressing for dinner in the dinning room-dress casual or formal? If we decided not to eat in the dinning room, can we eat buffet anytime? I'm sure I have plenty of other questions but these are weighing on my mind right now!! Thanks for any help and please feel free to leave any advise too!!!:D

No refrig on this class of ship, except in suites. (they really barely cool, no loss)

Coolers you bring from home cannot be larger than 12 x 12 x 12 ..but if its collaspible you can pack it in your suitcase usually.

I like eating in the MDR, but you can eat at the deli, the pizza counter or the buffet if you want a change. Deli has good sandwiches. I think the grill might be open, cant remember. I dont really eat there.

No fridge in reg. staterooms only suites.

Depending on the length of your cruise there may be 1 or 2 formal nights in the dining room. 3-5 days have one and its usually the first full night at sea. 6 or more days have two and they are usually the first full night at sea and the last night at sea. You can go to carnival.com and search "what to wear" for the permitted attire in the dining room on formal nights. BUT...yes, the buffet on the Lido deck is open for dinner as well as sushi, sandwiches, pizza, and the steakhouse.

Hi Saks, one of the two main dining rooms will be used for breakfast and lunch. In the evening , you will be be assigned one of the two dining rooms if you chose a seating time. Anytime dining is relatively new on Carnival, but if you chose this you can go when you want to during dinner hours, some waiting may be required. Generally, the second night, is your Formal night for dinner. Most women do wear cocktail or evening wear. The guys will wear suits, tuxedos or at least a shirt and tie. The other nights, you can wear nice casual clothes. No bathing suits, cutoff shorts or tank tops in dining room. I think shorts would be okay if they are casual nice. If you would rather not dress or you previewed the menu and don't feel inspired, you can always choose a different option. There is a large buffet on Lido deck. In there you will able to get deli sandwiches, burgers, hotdogs, pizza, or you can opt for the hot service. There will also be a salad bar, fruit and desserts and ice cream. You will also have room service available at no additional charge ( but it is customary to tip the delivery server). A menu for it will be available in the leatherbound booklet in your room. There is also a pastry shop onboard on the promenade deck, but this one will cost you...the coffees are worth the splurge and the desserts are very tempting. Basically, you can find something to eat around the clock. You will receive a daily activity pamphlet every evening to explain the next day's activities. You will be able to tear off a portion of it to carry around with you, so you don't miss a thing. You will be boarding the day I get back on the same ship! We live in CHarleston, so if you have any other questions about the city, where to stay the day before, if you are doing that or about anything else, I'll try to help. This is going to be our 9th cruise, so we've learned a few things along the way. Have a fantastic time, but let me warn you....you will be hooked!

CruiseCrazy-thank you so much for all the information! We are SO excited!!! We are only a few hours away from Charleston-right on the NC/SC line-so we're driving down that morning. We are planning on being there around noon to board-I'm as excited...maybe more...than our DDs!!!

CruiseCrazyCouple0611 - I've been on 10 cruises but am going on first Carnival cruise in May out of Charleston. So, thanks for good info on the Fantasy.

I've booked the Hampton Inn just across the river since I can leave my car there and be dropped off and then picked up at the port. I can drive down in about 5 hours but prefer the option of staying overnight as a precaution.

And to Saks.....my first traditional cruise was on the older Norwegian Majesty out of Charleston. My husband and I loved it and were hooked immediately.

Hi ILoveScotland, the hotel you selected is a good one. Since you have already sailed out of our port once, you're a pro. I hope you have a wonderful time! Scotland huh? I was born in the UK.

I'm a Tennesseean by birth and have lived in NC for ages, but I do love Scotland and have been several times. My ancestors came from Scotland and England, but they all arrived in America in the 1600s and 1700s.

Good to know I made a good choice on the hotel. It seemed like a logical choice. I've been to Charleston a couple of times but won't have time to explore the city this time - another day I hope.

CruiseCrazyCouple0611 - I've been on 10 cruises but am going on first Carnival cruise in May out of Charleston. So, thanks for good info on the Fantasy.

I've booked the Hampton Inn just across the river since I can leave my car there and be dropped off and then picked up at the port. I can drive down in about 5 hours but prefer the option of staying overnight as a precaution.

And to Saks.....my first traditional cruise was on the older Norwegian Majesty out of Charleston. My husband and I loved it and were hooked immediately.

ilovescotland, if you dont mind me asking how much are you paying for your hotel and where is it located? Our group of 4 is trying to decide whether or not we want to come down a day early and leave our car at a hotel but considering we all live in Myrtle Beach which is right under 2 hours away we arnt sure if its going to be worth it unless we get an amazing deal.

I'm paying $150 (including taxes) for the Park, Stay and Go package which is about $30 more than just a room. However, it cost $15 per night to park at the port plus, the hotel van will take me straight to the port and pick me up.

I live near Asheville and could drive down in about 5 hours, but I prefer to drive in the night before partly to relax and partly to avoid any possibility of a delay on the highway.

Anyone know anything about the Best Western Plus Downtown? It is on Lockwood Drive, we were hoping to book a Park and Cruise on the peninsula, but the others are very $$$. I am aware that it is not fancy, but we just want something clean and safe for the pre-cruise stay. It is a little closer than the Mt Pleasant hotels, and is a little cheaper than the Hampton. The reviews on Trip Advisor are pretty good (for this type hotel), but I would love to hear some first-hand reviews from someone that has done the Park and Cruise. TIA! :)

Hi Babyblue78, I can't answer questions about Park and Ride at this hotel, but I can tell you a little bit about the hotel itself. It's a good choice. The hotel is on Lockwood Drive as you stated which is right on the river. You will hopefully have a nice view of the marina from your room. The area is surrounded by the police department, several hospitals, Brittlebank Park, and a minor league baseball park. Hope that helps some.

We used name your own price and got the Holiday Inn Riverview for $60. Plus $75 for parking at the pier.

Personally, I enjoy the service at the MDR and I enjoy the presentation. I would recommend at least going to the MDR one night.

I wouldn't worry too much about dress code. I was all worked up about my husband wearing jeans and a dress shirt to dinner on non-formal night. The table across from us was all shorts and tshirts.

I think you'd have to be in your bathing suit for them to actually deny you service in the MDR. It's more how much you are concerned about what other passengers think.

Does anyone know if you can park free at the port with a Handicapped Plate? We are driving from Nashville in July and either we drive 1/2 way on Friday after work, then the rest on Saturday and park at the port, or we drive the whole way on Friday to a park and cruise hotel, leave the car there and have them shuttle us. I am handicapped (actuallly having surgery the week after returning to either replace an ankle or amputate my foot) and if we can park free, that would definitely push us toward the easiest for me way!

Dont know about Charleston, but in Jacksonville I had to pay. And I have handicapped plates. I've heard of places that let the handicap park for free but I don't think its at any of the Carnival Ports. but you may can call and see what charleston's rules are. good luck let me know:)

Thanks, good to hear that! I actually lived in the area (Goose Creek) back in the late 90's, I remember that some areas on the peninsula can be "iffy" so I wasn't sure. The reviews looked decent, so I think we are going to go for it. :)

Scratch that, we decided to go with the Hampton Inn Patriots Point instead since it included the good breakfast (we loved it in FLL) and shuttle both ways. The Best Western only included shuttle to the port so we would have to cab it back, making it almost the same cost as the Hampton. I know that the Hampton is not on the peninsula, but it is still pretty close. :)

Yes, the parking fee is waived with handicapped stickers. After dropping off your luggage, you will park and then board a shuttle and they will take you over to the ship ( about a two minute ride). We pray you have a positive outcome with your ankle. Hubby shattered his heel 6 years ago, had a few surgeries on it. Still gives him problems, but better than expected, but two years later he broke the other one. He has a plate and several screws in that one. We went on two cruises during this whole ordeal and he had a great time, so don't let it stop you.

Archived