nook, kindle, IPAD

gmacruiser418

My wife and I both have Nooks from Barnes and Noble. Bought them right after Christmas and have become addicted to using them. She has a standard black and white model, mine is a color Nook. Hers is much easier to read in sunlight than the color. I knew reading in direct sunlight was going to be a challenge, but even with my over 60 eyesight, turning up the brightness and changing the type to a larger font, I can read fine. I wanted the full-page touch screen on the ColorNook and the color screen for internet surfing. The wi-fi is responsive on the ColorNook, making downloading books and other documents easy. Downloading books once you leave the US may be a bit of a challenge according to the blog comments on Barnes and Nobles websites where they talk about the Nooks. I am guessing that B & N makes it more difficult to protect consumer credit purchasing.

Bottom line, I will be using my ColorNook on the cruise I am taking two weeks from now. Reading will be much easier for my wife on her black and white version. The information on the B & N blogs regarding the Nooks should give you all the pros and cons you need about each.

ok, so i'm considering buying a nook, kindle or IPAD for reading, anyone use one of these while cruising? and cons to any of these in the sun?

Since you want your device for reading, I would argue for the Kindle. Here's why! iPad is large, heavy, very, very expensive and it is almost impossible to read under the sun. Forget reading anything on the iPad while on a deck chair.

Nook and Kindle ARE for reading and do other things to some small degree. Both are page size, thin, light weight, and under $200. Each have their extensive book sources and these book sources, (many of them free of charge) are easily obtained while sailing and (no charge) by wireless.

Which one? Nook or Kindle? I would not go Nook because no one knows where the company providing it and its library is headed given rumors of a lot of financial difficulty. That leaves the streamline purse size Kindle as your best option for reading. I have had experience with all three options and I took my Kindle with me on my recent cruise where I downloaded several organized crime subject books while off the Florida Keys - one of them I just finished: Chasing the Don.

Apple is coming out with a new version of the iPad next week so you might want to wait and see what wonders they come up with next! Personally, I use my iPhone for reading. It is fine as to size and very light weight. I looked at the Kindle because of the battery-life but couldn't stand holding it with all those buttons and it looked so dull after using the iPhone. I would definitely get a reader with a touch screen to turn the pages. I don't read in the sun all that much so the e-ink is not that important to me. With the iPhone, everything is right at my fingertips.

I think that whatever works for you is best. I agree that purchasing an ipad at this point is not a great idea if you want to read. Amazon has been out longer and has some great upgrades for Kindle (they also have hundreds of thousands of titles costing from $0.00 and up). Kindle has the market at the moment. . . . no real competition. However, I've heard about the upcoming version of iPad for a long time. Supposedly the glare factor will be remedied. Predictions are that this will outsell Kindle.

I just wanted something to read with. The fact that I can order a sample book from Amazon. . . . read the first chapter or two and then decide if I want to buy it or delete it is a wonderful feature. Not sure if others have that option. I also love that I can download wherever there is an AT&T cellular signal. Books are not in color. . . . not sure why the color feature is popular. . . but, as I said, if it works for you. . . go for it.

Don't know about the Nook, but the Kindle with 3G can be used (for FREE) anywhere there's a cellphone signal it can roam to. Your email provider needs to have a webpage that looks good on low-bandwidth devices like cellphones for best results. I use Yahoo mail; I think others have been successful with GMail on the Kindle.

I just purchased a Kindle, Latest Generation, specifically for our upcoming cruise. I own the Ipad, but reading outside is not an option. I haven't learned all the Kindles features yet. Are you saying that I can use it for internet? Aren't the on board fees extremely high for that? I will be taking my IPAD on the cruise also, but have been hearing about the awful fees to hook up to internet.....What do I need to do to avoid these fees?

Since you want your device for reading, I would argue for the Kindle. Here's why! iPad is large, heavy, very, very expensive and it is almost impossible to read under the sun. Forget reading anything on the iPad while on a deck chair.

Nook and Kindle ARE for reading and do other things to some small degree. Both are page size, thin, light weight, and under $200. Each have their extensive book sources and these book sources, (many of them free of charge) are easily obtained while sailing and (no charge) by wireless.

Which one? Nook or Kindle? I would not go Nook because no one knows where the company providing it and its library is headed given rumors of a lot of financial difficulty. That leaves the streamline purse size Kindle as your best option for reading. I have had experience with all three options and I took my Kindle with me on my recent cruise where I downloaded several organized crime subject books while off the Florida Keys - one of them I just finished: Chasing the Don.

I just purchased the latest Kindle with wi-fi and 3G. Are you saying that while on board in the middle of the ocean, I can use it to download books without any charges????? We are taking a 2 week cruise from L.A. to Hawaii on March 16th, and I bought the Kindle to use for reading, but thought I'd have to purchase books b4 getting on board....I also have the Ipad, but am wondering about the fees to hookup to the internet while on board.

Hi - My husband and I each have a Kindle (we started with one, but did not share well...) It has worked well on our cruises - He has been able to download the NYtimes etc... while on board taking very few internet minutes. I also have an ITouch. If you register it with Amazon with a Kindle app with the same account as your kindle, you can download the same books to the Touch. This was great when I was waiting for a show or lecture, bingo etc... to start and just wanted to carry a small purse and not the bigger kindle, or at night it was better for reading in the cabin after hubby was asleep and lights were off. I could go back and forth between the Touch and the Kindle (you do have to remember where you are in the book). Kindle is the way to go in sunlight and for a more comfortable read. With the ITouch and the libraries app, I could also download library books, for the 21 day loan period. I love not filling my suitcase with books.

Hi - My husband and I each have a Kindle (we started with one, but did not share well...) It has worked well on our cruises - He has been able to download the NYtimes etc... while on board taking very few internet minutes. I also have an ITouch. If you register it with Amazon with a Kindle app with the same account as your kindle, you can download the same books to the Touch. This was great when I was waiting for a show or lecture, bingo etc... to start and just wanted to carry a small purse and not the bigger kindle, or at night it was better for reading in the cabin after hubby was asleep and lights were off. I could go back and forth between the Touch and the Kindle (you do have to remember where you are in the book). Kindle is the way to go in sunlight and for a more comfortable read. With the ITouch and the libraries app, I could also download library books, for the 21 day loan period. I love not filling my suitcase with books.

We have Nooks in our family. The access to free books is one huge benefit. The other (which I am not sure is an option with a Kindle) is that I can load all my Window docs in PDF form on my Nook for travel. I carry all my reservations, walking tours, information on my Nook when traveling.

The Kindle will read both Microsoft Word docs and PDF docs natively - no conversion necessary.

Are you saying that I can use it for internet? Aren't the on board fees extremely high for that?
In port (only, in my limited experience) a Kindle that has 3G cellular access will find and roam to a suitable land-based cellular signal, and you can get internet access for free.

Disclaimers:

1. The internet access is pretty limited. As I've said earlier, find mobile versions of your favorite pages for the best results. Still, I can read the NY Times or check my home email in Europe or Central America without paying any additional fees.

2. The free access is only the 3G cellular access, not the WiFi access. I believe WiFi is faster, but you need to connect to a hotspot to use WiFi, and they're not always free. The 3G service is easier to use and free.

3. There are two versions of the Kindle 3. The $139 version doesn't have 3G cellular access. The $189 version has 3G and WiFi access. Older models of the Kindle only had 3G access, and Generation 1 Kindles don't roam internationally. Generation 2 Kindles built after ~October 2009 do roam internationally.

4. I wasn't able to get my Kindle 2 to connect to the cell service onboard the Queen Mary but it would connect to the local cell network when the ship was in port or close enough to land. If your Kindle has WiFi you may be able to connect to the ship's WiFi network, but you will have to pay for that. This requires you to login to the WiFi network so it's obvious that you're not doing something free.

Dennis has just purchased Kindle eReader. He loves it and and reading in sun is great, no different to inside. The best reader I have seen. IPad is not good in sun. Dennis also purchased leather cover with light for night reading which he recommends.

Anthea

Re kindle - download all reading matter before leaving home. You won't want wifi or 3G. If there is something special u want while cruising, downloading just the odd thing won't cost much and is very quick.

I've been thinking hard about buying a Kindle or similar especially for holidays as I always struggle to decide which books to take with me and tend to get through quite a few while away. I was a bit concerned about leaving it unattended while having a swim etc. With a paperback, you just put it aside to wander off - are you all happy to just leave your e-readers while you go off and do other stuff?

I've been thinking hard about buying a Kindle or similar especially for holidays as I always struggle to decide which books to take with me and tend to get through quite a few while away. I was a bit concerned about leaving it unattended while having a swim etc. With a paperback, you just put it aside to wander off - are you all happy to just leave your e-readers while you go off and do other stuff?

Andrea, that is a good question. I never thought of that and this will be my first cruise since getting my Kindle over two years ago. I would hate to put it down to take a little swim and someone walk off with it. I guess it would depend on if you have anyone esle with you still sitting out of the water. How does everyone feel about this?

I am luck enough to have both, and always carry both on cruises. They both have great features as everyone says the Kindle is great in the sun, the Ipad is great for using in the dark in places like the plane or whilst DH is sleeping in bed! If I could only choose one to take, I may have to become a smuggler! Using both sometimes means i touch the screen of the Kindle when trying to turn a page though :rolleyes:

Yes, I do get seperation anxiety when going into the pool, I always take a bag and make sure it is covered but don't like leaving it really. I think that so many people have them now that maybe it isn't so sensational when you have yours by the pool, I am just back from a cruise and they were everywhere with people reading and watching movies.

Nook or Kindle--do either have a backlight for reading in the dark?

Some Kindle covers have built in lights. Some lights are designed to be attached to Kindles. I have a Belkin clip-on light that works great for the red-eye flights.

Archived