Dolmabahce Palace vs Beylerbeyi Palace

Hello, we are going to Istanbul for the first time in June and taking 2 full days tours.

In one of the days we are having the opportunity to choose a visit either to the Dolmabahce Palace or the Beylerbeyi Palace. I have been reading a little bit and looks like the Dolmabahce Palace is a nicer place. Please I would like to learn all kinds of opinions concerning these 2 Palaces.

Thanks a lot!

Bob

Hello, we are going to Istanbul for the first time in June and taking 2 full days tours.

In one of the days we are having the opportunity to choose a visit either to the Dolmabahce Palace or the Beylerbeyi Palace. I have been reading a little bit and looks like the Dolmabahce Palace is a nicer place. Please I would like to learn all kinds of opinions concerning these 2 Palaces.

Thanks a lot!

Bob

Bob,

What tours are you taking. I am looking for some private tour companies to save some money. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Stacy

• 2 weeks later...

Below are some of my visuals from our visit to the Dolmabahce Palace. It was very enjoyable and interesting. There are lots of great things in Istanbul and we fortunately had two full days there at the end of our cruise.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 34,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Outside of mid 1800’s “new” Palace used by Sultans in Istanbul:

1A-Istbul-NewPalaceOutside.jpg

In 1856, Sultan Abdul Mecid I moved his court to the newly-built Dolmabahce Palace, the first European-style palace in the city. Located on the European side of the Bosporus, it served as the main administrative center of the Ottoman Empire from 1856 to 1922. Fourteen tons of gold in the form of gold leaf were used to gild the ceilings. It is the largest palace in Turkey. The world's largest Bohemian crystal chandelier is in the center hall of the palace. A gift from Queen Victoria, it has 750 lamps and weighs 4.5 tons. Dolmabahce has the largest collection of Bohemian and Baccarat crystal chandeliers in the world and one of the great staircases has bannisters of Baccarat crystal. Below is the changing of the guard, the Sultan's carved Alabaster bath and an example of one seating area in the palace.:

IstanbulNewPalGuardChange.jpg

IstanbulNewPalBathCarvedAlabaster.jpg

IstanbulNewPalInteriorSeating.jpg

This is a small sampling of the spectacular ceiling in the largest reception room at this palace:

IstNewPalCeiling.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot!

Bob

hard choice bob, Ive been to both, the Beylerbeyi Palace I think is in better condition but the more dramatic is the Dolmabahce Palace. The staircase with the Baccarrat Balastrades and the 4 1/2 ton chandelier two of the more memorable features! Im revisiting Istanbul in September and will probably take the friends im with to the Dolmabahce.

Archived