Cannon or Nikon?

TheRejector

Here is a nice place to compare a studio shot of the various cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond3100/page17.asp

The sigma is a nice lens and there is no substitue for 2.8 for bokeh and subject isolation or shooting wide open for motion freeze. But the new OS version is pricey and all 2.8 lens are HUGE. The 70-300 VR is highly acclaimed for IQ even if a bit slow and a screaming value and compares very favorable to the 2.8 lens even on FX :D

It all depends on your needs. While the D90 is indeed an older design, it still has features not found on the D3100 such as such as an internal focus motor, better white balance modes, much better monitor resolution, flash commander, and so on. If you want some of those features your choice may be a D90, D7000, or the pro level cameras.

Some DX lenses, for instance the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye or Tokina's 11-16mm super wide lenses require camera-body focusing motors, so it requires something above a D3100 if you want autofocus to work. Again, that depends on what your needs are.

I am not sure about the D3100's low light capability as I don't own a D3100. But there has been a lot of criticism that above ISO 3200 the D3100's image is not that great. I cannot substantiate that either way.

Not to say the D3100 is not a great first DSLR, it is an outstanding camera; especially given the price.

Yes, the D90 will be out of production soon, but that is the way it goes these days with DSLRs. But if you can find one on clearance at a good price, why not?

By the way, the Nikon 70~300mm zoom 's maximum aperture is f4.5, not f3.5, and to me, $600 is pretty steep for that lens. I think it would be better to save a few more dollars and get the Sigma 70~200mm f2.8 Macro/Telephoto lens, which can be found for under $800.

Both packages are great priced.

The D3100 is Nikon's current most inexpensive DSLR. I avoid the term "entry" as the sensor and electronics is brand new. The focus module is the same as the D90. In terms of resolution and low light sensitivity its superior ot D90. The D90 has more features, faster FPS, and better build, but is an almost 3 year old design that has been recently replaced by the D7000. If video is important the D3100 video is 2nd generation still marginal but far superior to the D90. For straight image quality the D3100 is superior.

The D3100 isn't even in the same league as the D90. If you are looking at a D90, you shouldn't even be considering a D3100. That's like comparing the Rebel XS to a Canon 60D; a couple year old camera to a brand new one, and they are on different ends of the spectrum.

A D3100 lacks so many features that the D90 has. You'll quickly find out, as I did, that an entry level DSLR is just that, an entry into that type of camera. I couldn't do without the AEB, the top LCD, the autofocus motor, the flash commander, the custom WB presets, dual command dials, just to name a few differences.

Whether you get Canon or Nikon, you should look at just how much you want to get into the technical side of taking pictures, and buy accordingly. If you don't, you'll either end up disappointed or overwhelmed.

The D3100 isn't even in the same league as the D90. If you are looking at a D90, you shouldn't even be considering a D3100. That's like comparing the Rebel XS to a Canon 60D; a couple year old camera to a brand new one, and they are on different ends of the spectrum. A D3100 lacks so many features that the D90 has. You'll quickly find out, as I did, that an entry level DSLR is just that, an entry into that type of camera. I couldn't do without the AEB, the top LCD, the autofocus motor, the flash commander, the custom WB presets, dual command dials, just to name a few differences. Whether you get Canon or Nikon, you should look at just how much you want to get into the technical side of taking pictures, and buy accordingly. If you don't, you'll either end up disappointed or overwhelmed.

Agree, TECHNICALLY, that the D90 is a "better" camera. The D90 body is tougher and it does lots and lots more of the sophisticated "stuff". BUT, if you don't use or need flash commander, WB presets, dual dials, etc., then why spend that much extra money and get yourself more confused with features not that needed??? I've been an owner of multiple Nikon cameras and lens for over 40 years. There is lots that the D3100 can do, but in many cases, simplicity can be a "friend" to getting better pictures and allow more time to focus on what you are shooting, etc.

I've got a fancy microwave oven, but I don't use all of those many features, etc. Buy what you really need and will use!!! Many of the features are "over the top" and never used by 98% of the camera owners.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,100 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I think the main point should be that for many situations either the D90, D3100, or many other similar DSLRs cameras (Canon and others) will provide excellent quality photos. I am trying to say to not get caught up too much in specs, but to focus more on taking photos.

And if you are thinking of getting serious with DSLRs, know that over a 10 year period, many folks will likely spend more money on lenses than the body, and those lenses will be with them for that 10 years (or more). The camera body, on the other hand will likely be replaced at least once in 10 years with a newer, better version.

So put some thought in what your 10 year goals are up front, and that will help you with your purchase decisions.

That said (at least with Nikon), one of the fundamental questions will be, am I satisfied in purchasing all of my lenses with internal focus motors, or are there lenses I might want that do not have internal motors (such as the Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye)?

That answer will probably drive your purchase decision more than how many pixels this or that camera has. Pixel count these days are so high that it has more to do with marketing than image quality.

LOL you are totally right my D3s compared to the D40, D300, D5000, D700 or d7000 are worlds apart ( the D90 was one model I never got around to owning ), but believe it or not for most picture taking situations and for probably majority of people many of the advance features are used very infrequently. For 90% of my random snapshots the output from either couldn't seen in side by side at standard web size or even 8x10 prints, let alone needing the multiple dials.

Buyers need to weight the cost, and tradeoff of a much older design with features versus the newest sensor and electronics for less. Moore's law is an awesome thing making many things even 18 months old, old, not incapable but very uncompetitive depending on what is important to you :D

IMHO the number of people who have many of the more advance cameras use very little of the features. Its good to hear you one that does, many don't. Most novices really dont' have a clue and its only as they advance in the hobby learn they may need.

The D3100 isn't even in the same league as the D90. If you are looking at a D90, you shouldn't even be considering a D3100. That's like comparing the Rebel XS to a Canon 60D; a couple year old camera to a brand new one, and they are on different ends of the spectrum.

A D3100 lacks so many features that the D90 has. You'll quickly find out, as I did, that an entry level DSLR is just that, an entry into that type of camera. I couldn't do without the AEB, the top LCD, the autofocus motor, the flash commander, the custom WB presets, dual command dials, just to name a few differences.

Whether you get Canon or Nikon, you should look at just how much you want to get into the technical side of taking pictures, and buy accordingly. If you don't, you'll either end up disappointed or overwhelmed.

First I just want to take the time to thank each and everyone of you for your input. You are a very, very knowledgable bunch. I really had a difficult time making a choice but I ended up with the Nikon 3100 2 lens kit from B&H it was cheap enough that I added a Nikon bag, remote release, 16 gig card, extra battery and uv filters all for 811.08. The reason was it got good reviews and it far exceeds my ability to use it. When and if my skills improve I will look at upgrading and hopefully you guys will go thru this with me again! Thanks again and happy shooting!

Oh BTW it will be here Thursday.

First I just want to take the time to thank each and everyone of you for your input. You are a very, very knowledgable bunch. I really had a difficult time making a choice but I ended up with the Nikon 3100 2 lens kit from B&H it was cheap enough that I added a Nikon bag, remote release, 16 gig card, extra battery and uv filters all for 811.08. The reason was it got good reviews and it far exceeds my ability to use it. When and if my skills improve I will look at upgrading and hopefully you guys will go thru this with me again! Thanks again and happy shooting!

Oh BTW it will be here Thursday.

chipmaster: LOL you are totally right my D3s compared to the D40' date=' D300, D5000, D700 or d7000 are worlds apart ( the D90 was one model I never got around to owning ), but believe it or not [b']for most picture taking situations and for probably majority of people many of the advance features are used very infrequently.[/b] For 90% of my random snapshots the output from either couldn't seen in side by side at standard web size or even 8x10 prints, let alone needing the multiple dials. Buyers need to weight the cost, and tradeoff of a much older design with features versus the newest sensor and electronics for less. Moore's law is an awesome thing making many things even 18 months old, old, not incapable but very uncompetitive depending on what is important to you

Great news! CONGRATULATIONS! You'll have lots of fun learning and working with this new camera. As the technology keeps improving and changing, you can always upgrade in two, three or four years to a "better" camera, if needed.

You'll have the Nikon lens for this camera, plus any you buy for the future. Take lots of pictures. Keep practicing and working at it. That's the best way to learn and improve your techniques. It's easy to "blow off" the bad ones. Personally, I got two 8 gig cards. The downside with a 16 gig card is that you don't want to wait too long in downloading your pictures to your computer. Something rare could happen and you hate to lose too much of what you've shot.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Great news! CONGRATULATIONS! You'll have lots of fun learning and working with this new camera. As the technology keeps improving and changing, you can always upgrade in two, three or four years to a "better" camera, if needed.

You'll have the Nikon lens for this camera, plus any you buy for the future. Take lots of pictures. Keep practicing and working at it. That's the best way to learn and improve your techniques. It's easy to "blow off" the bad ones. Personally, I got two 8 gig cards. The downside with a 16 gig card is that you don't want to wait too long in downloading your pictures to your computer. Something rare could happen and you hate to lose too much of what you've shot.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 33,500 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks, I had planned on getting more SD cards and another battery, this time i'll get two 8 gig cards instead of a 16.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived