Spirit Airlines have reasonable flights to San Juan

dja31705

Spirit charges for your roller bags which other airlines let you stow in the overhead bin for free. Spirit has a maximum weight allowance of 40lbs per checked bags.

Good chance you'll have to pay to check two bags for at least some of your group. A couple might wind up paying to check 3 bags.

you can take a back pack to put under your seat for Free, i can cram alot of stuff into that small space:rolleyes: and i just pulled out a duffle bag that weighs nothing, since i wont have to lug it anywhere without wheels, we are leavin out of a small airport in Latrobe Pa. and u drop it off @door and then park. although i do have to get it to port..... hum

you can take a back pack to put under your seat for Free, i can cram alot of stuff into that small space:rolleyes: and i just pulled out a duffle bag that weighs nothing, since i wont have to lug it anywhere without wheels, we are leavin out of a small airport in Latrobe Pa. and u drop it off @door and then park. although i do have to get it to port..... hum

OMG...small world! We're leaving out of Latrobe, PA for our cruise in June! :) Spirit Air (even with their bag fees, etc) came out $500 less than others including Southwest. Not to mention I only have to drive 20 min to the local airport & park for FREE vs. driving an hr & 45 min to larger airport + paying around $100 to park for the week. Yeah, I think I'll stay with Spirit on this one. ;)

We are 1hr 30 min. away, but like you say the savings is great we are 1hr from pit airport to.We drove up to see the airport the other day, its small but all you need , great place to eat, got the menu while we were there. $240 to fll. not $700 each straight flight too

Yeah, I did know about the 40lbs limit before we even purchased. Did you join the $9 club? We did & it paid for itself easy. LOL! We went ahead & prebought our bags so that it was cheaper. I do plan to pack a lot less this cruise. I so overpacked on the last one & it was ridiculous. We always weigh our luggage before leaving home & try to have at least 5lbs b/t our luggage & what the airline's limit is. We'll see how it goes. :D

We have ate at the airport before for our son's hockey banquet. It was very good. Our flight doesn't leave until 8pm so we'll eat at home since it is only a 20 min drive. I can recommend Dino's to you... GREAT WINGS (sweet n hot or garlic...only ones I've tried). IF you don't want to eat at the airport. :)

I LOVE the fact that they are nonstop flights each way & that we'll be in Ft. Lauderdale in 2 hrs. YAY! Our flights cost us $235 per person round trip. Considering all the prices from PA, I thought that was a great deal. :)

I signed up for a Spirit credit card, and the bonus points were just enough to get us one person one way FLL-SJU. After paying for one checked bag each, AND two Big Front Seats, we averaged $124 per person.

I flew LAX-FLL on Spirit, and it was really uncomfortable. If I ever use them again, I will always book the BFS for $25.

I always add the luggage and seating costs to see what the entire fare is. Spirit is usually the cheapest on many of their runs.

Plus, there is no guarantee the airline will be in business when your flight day arrives. These smaller airlines tend to go out of business regularly. I'd go with a better name company.

The last thing I would worry about is Spirit Airlines going out of business. Not only was it the single most profitable U.S. airline in 2009, but it's largely owned and controlled by billionaire investment fund Indigo Group.

One of the many things wrong with Spirit is their lack of equipment. If they have a mechanical, they usually have no other equipment to back it up and you can be delayed for hours - or days, at some people have. Since they don't interline with other carriers, also, they won't put you on other airlines if there is a problem.

Again, if the flight is in the near future and it's not critical that you be there at a specific time, it's your choice. If this is not the case, wouldn't touch them.

One of the many things wrong with Spirit is their lack of equipment. If they have a mechanical, they usually have no other equipment to back it up and you can be delayed for hours - or days, at some people have. Since they don't interline with other carriers, also, they won't put you on other airlines if there is a problem.

Again, if the flight is in the near future and it's not critical that you be there at a specific time, it's your choice. If this is not the case, wouldn't touch them.

This is what trip interruption/delay insurance is for. Most credit cards cover delays (they consider it as a product not delivered after you have paid for it with your card), and travel insurance does, too. After the required number of hours delay to get the coverage to kick in it's time to look for another flight.

Always have a Plan B; always fly in the day before a cruise.

This is what trip interruption/delay insurance is for. Most credit cards cover delays (they consider it as a product not delivered after you have paid for it with your card), and travel insurance does, too. After the required number of hours delay to get the coverage to kick in it's time to look for another flight.

Always have a Plan B; always fly in the day before a cruise.

Trip delay insurance will typically pay something like $150. Enough to cover the cost of a hotel room, meals etc while you're waiting for your airline to accommodate you. It generally doesn't pay for alternate airfare with another airline.

Trip delay insurance will typically pay something like $150. Enough to cover the cost of a hotel room, meals etc while you're waiting for your airline to accommodate you. It generally doesn't pay for alternate airfare with another airline.

You are correct.

The delay / interruption benefit is $150, but if it causes a missed connection, my current travel insurance for a trip this May shows a $500 benefit.

However, if it's a "non-delivered" flight, that's where the credit card claim comes in.

Between credit cards and travel insurance you have options for reimbursement.

Always have a Plan B.

Besides infrequent serivce on many routes, another problem with ultra low-cost airlines is their use of secondary airports. ULCC's are often the only airline using the airport. By the time it's confirmed your flight isn't going to happen, it's often a 1 to 3 hour drive to catch an alternate flight, and often too late to catch your cruise. I personally would leave 2 days early if flying a ULCC from an out-of-the-way airport.

Archived