March 2011 Western Caribbean 5 nighter, recommend excursions off shore?

docboy

Hello Everyone,

Going on a 5 night, Western Caribbean cruise this March 2011 from Ft. Lauderdale to Grand Cayman and Cozumel, on Navigator of the Seas.

A couple of questions regarding excursions:

1) Which ones do you guys recommend, esp places to go that are unique to the area? (ie. any special ruins that you HAVE to see? :)

2) Which excursions would you avoid?

3) The excursions offered on the ship's website seem overpriced. Has anyone tried excursions in Grand Cayman and Cozumel that are NOT cruise ship sponsored? If so, any particular ones that you remember and their prices?

I've done a couple of Alaskan tours NOT cruise ship sponsored and they were very nice, professional, and much cheaper.

Just wondering...

Thanks!

On a recent visit to Cozumel with our 9 and 11 year old grandchildren we took the Atlantis submarine trip, not a cheap excursion but very good for children. It took about 1hr 40 minutes and went down to 125 feet. I have never been on a submarine before and I am sure my grandchildren will remember the experience for years to come. There is an Atlantis office about 1/2 mile from the pier and you may be able to book the excursion cheaper through them but you are relying on the fact that there will be space available.

In Grand Cayman we just went to the public beach and had a good time. We took a shuttle bus to the beach and rented chairs, umbrella and floats. The kids ate at one of the food places on the beach and paid about 15.00 for one hamburger and it took about an hour. The water dropped off from the shore close and quick but it was fun on the floats.

In Cozumel we usually go to Mr. Santos beach but the biting fish (?) bothered us the last time. The guys usually snorkel and love it but our last trip was too cold for me in the water. We have also taken a tour - just hired one of the small vans outside the pier gates - and they took us all around the island. It was nice and we got to see much of what you don't normally see. We were with two other couples and the cost was low. The guide was well spoken and very knowledgeable.

In Cozumel we usually go to Mr. Santos beach but the biting fish (?) bothered us the last time. The guys usually snorkel and love it but our last trip was too cold for me in the water. We have also taken a tour - just hired one of the small vans outside the pier gates - and they took us all around the island. It was nice and we got to see much of what you don't normally see. We were with two other couples and the cost was low. The guide was well spoken and very knowledgeable.

The tour info is good to know. Thanks! Did you recall paying the tour guide US cash, or did you use a credit card?

Archived