Goldstein---Fix Your Company Web Site.

JKrise

I had to call RCI tonight to clarify something....and while I had a real live person on the phone I mentioned the ongoing issues and frustrations with their "new website". She was well aware and essentially giggled about it and tried to transfer me to someone who could help with the matter I described above in my previous post.

....lame that even the employees know about it!...I am sure they have gotten an ear full!

Well, time to do something about it.

BTW, when I was transfered, I got a recording that I must call back during "normal business hours". UGH!

Really?

I seriously give up. No excursion on Jamaica for me!...maybe they want me to get murdered or mugged and venture out by ourselves?

Goldstein really needs to turn up the heat on the IT department and get the web site fixed. In the mean time, he could have them bring back the old web site design while the necessary adjustments are made.

By the way, RCI IT dept...ever heard of Beta testing?

Reality is that the website design is dictated and often executed by the Marketing dept, NOT the IT dept. The IT guys are just responsible for making sure the server is running and it has bandwidth. Content is done by Marketing folks.

I posted a thread that it was no longer possible to book any cruise on the RCCL website in the uk. Lots of replies from fellow uk cruisers stating they were experieincing the same problems. Whenever i called RCCL in the UK they stated it was my computer. I sincerely hope that Goldstein acts quickly, think of the amount of potential bookings being lost and future business affected.

Reality is that the website design is dictated and often executed by the Marketing dept, NOT the IT dept. The IT guys are just responsible for making sure the server is running and it has bandwidth. Content is done by Marketing folks.

I don't think it's important whether you call it IT, or put the blame on marketing. There website management sucks.

They do not have the ability to count. Their site still says they have 21 ships.

If they can't even count their ships, does writing HTML code have a prayer?

Then others will blame us that use Firefox for some of the issues. The excuse is, the site was made to work on IE because IE is the most popular browser. That's not correct either. Maybe some day they will get heads out of their... I mean the sand and wake up.

Well, I downloaded Google Chrome and actually managed to get completely through booking a cabin without a single problem, which is a LOT further than I got with Internet Explorer and being stuck and reset back to RCI's homepage only. Must say that Cruise Critic also runs a lot faster on Google Chrome, so it looks like I may be giving IE the axe. :D

Really? That may explain everything, then.

"Why Not" make it more frustrating and difficult to use? :rolleyes:

I doubt the CEO is surfing this site...

Supposedly there is a marketing firm in Los Angeles that keeps track of this board for them. They are aware of how bad the booking tool on their web site is. Many of us have complained. I sent a technical problem report to them online and they replied that it was a "work in progress".

Where's the progress?

I am a retired IT software development project manager, and I know how long it takes to make software changes. They could have done a lot of improvements by now, ESPECIALLY with all the user complaints.

The coding is done by the IT department staff....:rolleyes:

BTW..The website 'code' is what interfaces with your browser...that in turn displays the content.

Goldstein really needs to turn up the heat on the IT department

The IT department is just the fall guy. My guess is that some combination of brand strategists and marketing people share the driver's seat. In typical Big Company website buildouts, they decide content, navigation design and page layout, while IT makes their vision happen.

Whilst I agree that the website could certainly be improved, and has not achieved all that we the passenger would like, I doubt that the abruptness of your thread title will gain any sympathy from anyone in the Miami HO.

My sentiments also regarding the thread. Have used the new website for myself, my son and my father and have had no problems with dining, shows etc. That being said took a little time to get used to it and now am comfortable with the website:)

Then others will blame us that use Firefox for some of the issues. The excuse is, the site was made to work on IE because IE is the most popular browser. That's not correct either. Maybe some day they will get heads out of their... I mean the sand and wake up.

You think it's bad using their site from home...........trying using one of their computers on one of there ships. :rolleyes:You can't even look up cruises because you get the dreaded red notification at the top about IE has to be installed.:eek:

You talk about a frustrating 12 day cruise. Though, the LA and her assistant had no problem with their computers.

As a software developer, I always like to chime in on conversations such as this one. While I completely agree with everyone's frustration as to how inconsistant the new RCCL site works, many of you simply don't have a clue as to the who's and the why's.

External websites (that is sites that are to be used by the general public and not internal to the organization) are often outsourced to marketing firms (as someone has already pointed out, Royal's marketting are pretty much responsible for content). This is not always the case, but at nearly every company I have worked for, this has been the norm. Internal IT will handle desktop support, business critical applications, network infrastructure, etc. In fact, the web servers where Royal's site is hosted may not even be at their data center. It may actually be hosted through the firm that created the site. Once again, I am only speculating, but this has been the norm in my experience.

Now as far as why a web app would make it to production (i.e. for user use) without thorough testing, well this too is something that happens quite frequently and is usually out of the developer's hands. An analogy I like to use is about an online game that was release in 2000. It was called World War II Online. When it was released it was so buggy that it required an immediate 250MB patch to be operational. Why would a company box and ship a product that was not yet suitable for public consumption? One word: deadline! See, the suits at this company wanted the release to coincide with the June 6th anniversary of D-Day. Come hell or high water, the game was going to be released. The game was still incredibly buggy and it took them nearly a year to correct many of the major issues.

With all that said, software problems are not always as easy to correct as people may think them to be. Web applications are even more complicated due to different browsers and hardware specs. It is not always possible to test every single scenario prior to production release. I know the new RCCL site is buggy, but I am willing to bet it was released that way AGAINST the wishes of the developers. No self respecting developer would want their name on something that operated in such a manner.

I am a retired IT software development project manager, and I know how long it takes to make software changes. They could have done a lot of improvements by now, ESPECIALLY with all the user complaints.

No offense Peggy, but I have yet to come across a PM that was worth a damn at accurately estimating design, development, and testing tasks. A good rule of thumb I have had to live by is take any estimate given by management and add anywhere from 50-150% to it. Management estimates tend to be overly optimistic and really plan for best case scenario. The thing is, they would look so much better if they planned for worst case scenario and came in ahead of schedule. Of course, technical PMs tended to have a better grasp on timing estimates than non-technical PMs... but even the technical ones made their share of mistakes when they were out of the game for a while.

You think it's bad using their site from home...........trying using one of their computers on one of there ships. :rolleyes:You can't even look up cruises because you get the dreaded red notification at the top about IE has to be installed.:eek:

You talk about a frustrating 12 day cruise. Though, the LA and her assistant had no problem with their computers.

Was is still free for you to be frustrated (i.e. try to use Royal's website) while on board?

Bob

No offense Peggy, but I have yet to come across a PM that was worth a damn at accurately estimating design, development, and testing tasks. A good rule of thumb I have had to live by is take any estimate given by management and add anywhere from 50-150% to it. Management estimates tend to be overly optimistic and really plan for best case scenario. The thing is, they would look so much better if they planned for worst case scenario and came in ahead of schedule. Of course, technical PMs tended to have a better grasp on timing estimates than non-technical PMs... but even the technical ones made their share of mistakes when they were out of the game for a while.

Well, Scott, then I am the exception to your rule. I was the Queen of Detailed Requirements and Specifications. I FORCED my test teams to write code change test plans so everyone knew exactly what was being tested.

Having done this for about 25 years, and after using a bazillion methodologies, I got really, really good at estimating.

So, I know that the booking tool on RCCL's web site, which is the portion that everyone is complaining about the most, can indeed by modified so the data can be displayed in a more user friendly way. I said on a thread weeks ago that the software appeared to be canned to me (go check my posts; said it specifically about the booking tool). So, even if they have to go back to a third party software company with their change requests, they should have had some improvements by now.

I mean even changing the sort sequence for the ships selection would help a little. They are categorizing them by class instead of alphabetically. That's a table sort; not a big deal.

I do not like that the system "selects the best stateroon". You used to be able to see all available in any category, and now it is limited to one. Then, I need to call RCC to find out what else is open. Not very efficient. I do not like the new site AT ALL:mad:

I do not like that the system "selects the best stateroon". You used to be able to see all available in any category, and now it is limited to one. Then, I need to call RCC to find out what else is open. Not very efficient. I do not like the new site AT ALL:mad:

I agree. I actually check RCCL's site for my prices, but use other sites to check availablity. I've read on other threads that people are actually booking their cruises offline from RCCL's site because their online booking tool is so bad. Now, THAT'S a good way to pay out more in commissions!!!

All you do is click on change stateroom button & it brings up a whole list in that category.

I think RCCL should have a web site design contest for their adventure ocean guest, in the 8 to 10 year old age group.

I bet they come up with a more functional, and better designed site then whom ever did the current one.

Thats my 2 1/2 cents worth

I much prefer the old site as well. The new site will never show me deck 7 until I go back and input it a second time....what is up with that?:confused: This has been happening for months. And only deck 7 is affected. Put in any other deck and the floorplan comes right up???

All you do is click on change stateroom button & it brings up a whole list in that category.

And you can even input a specific cabin in that category..

Archived