Question about bring snacks onboard......

Motleu

The issue of bringing alcohol and/or soda onboard has been well documented on the boards but I have not found any comments about bringing snacks onboard. Something like pretzels, nuts, dried fruits, etc. Any experiences or advice as to whether that is a problem?

Also, curious as to whether Radiance has refrigerators or "coolers", as it were, in the staterooms?

Thanks!

I've never had an issue or seen restrictions, with chips and snacks like that. Not that I pack that stuff for the trip, but sometimes we make a snack run at the hotel the night before the cruise, and have some left over that we take with us.

Not sure on dried fruit, as it still is fruit and there are usually restrictions on that going back and forth. I definitely wouldn't try to bring it back off the ship afterwards if it goes unconsumed.

I'm pretty sure, but not 100% positive that the ships have mini-bars in each cabin. You should be able to get the steward to remove stuff you don't want in there to make room for your own stuff.

The refrigerators aren't very cold. More just cool. I'm almost positive you can bring snacks on board although I never have. You generally cannot bring food off the ship though. With the constant availablility of food pretty much 24/7 I've never felt the need, but if you have a favorite snack, hey, go for it.

I've never had a problem bringing snacks that my diabetic husband may need in the middle of the night. As for the "refrigerators" on Radiance, I had one in my large oceanview on deck 3 in December and we just had one in our JS this month. But they are jammed packed with stuff RCI wants you to consume, you'd have to take some pop cans out to put yours in, and its not a refrigerator that runs at 40 degrees, it just keeps stuff cool, like around 60 degrees

In spite of the fact that my Mother has been on 8 cruises and has seen the food and snacks available 24/7, she carries packages of snacks onboard. They consist of Cheese/P'nut butter crackers, granola bars, candy bars. They are never eaten and are carried back off the ship for the ride home because she can't bring herself to leave them on the ship either. We've never had the first thing said to us about the snacks, but they are all pre-packaged and individually wrapped. She says it's because she lived through the depression. If we drive to the port, when we get to her house, she has a cooler with assorted soft drinks and a thermal container filled with home-made biscuits, sausage and bacon and thermos bottles full of coffee. We've given up trying to convince her to stop bringing food. On the other side of the family, I have my son-in-law who had been in the Navy for several years, out on a ship. He was very reluctant to go on the first cruise. We overheard him warning my Dad to eat everything he could the first couple of days because the last days before they return to port, they will be short of food and you will get strange combinations like eggs and kraut for a meal. Go ahead and bring snacks if you feel the need, but we find more than enough choices onboard and you can find food 24/7 on the ship.

I have taken trail mix on board before that had dried fruit and nuts. No one said anything, and it was out in the open in the cabin every day. Of course, that was in 2008, so it may have changed since then. But, I kind of doubt it. Fresh fruit would probably be a no-no. Just because of insects and such.

Oh, I also carried on candy bars, because my father is a Hershey addict. They didn't mind those, either. As a matter of fact, after we shared them with our cabin steward, he was our new best friend. ;)

In spite of the fact that my Mother has been on 8 cruises and has seen the food and snacks available 24/7, she carries packages of snacks onboard.

If we drive to the port, when we get to her house, she has a cooler with assorted soft drinks and a thermal container filled with home-made biscuits, sausage and bacon and thermos bottles full of coffee. We've given up trying to convince her to stop bringing food.

I smiled reading this. My Godmother would always do this for us on trips when I was a kid. It was homemade biscuits with country ham and date-swirl cookies. She was convinced we would starve in the 2 hours it took us to get to my grandparents' house. It was a memory I'd not visited lately. It really made me smile. The next time she gives you a biscuit, eat one for me!!!

'cause of having to fly to the port and flight delays I always have 'snacks' in my carryon. They range from the snack pack of Fruit Loops; a baggy of Cheerios; granola bars; trail mix (w/dried fruit); peanuts; dried cranberries; mini pretzels; etc. They are in the cabin if haven't consumed prior and go back in the carryon for the return trip home. No problems.

Made me smile about the mom's / godmother's packing the 'care' packages -- my gramma and my mom both did the same -- no matter how long the drive. Tell the truth I think it was to keep us 4 girls in the car quiet.:):D

I've never had an issue or seen restrictions, with chips and snacks like that. Not that I pack that stuff for the trip, but sometimes we make a snack run at the hotel the night before the cruise, and have some left over that we take with us.

Not sure on dried fruit, as it still is fruit and there are usually restrictions on that going back and forth. I definitely wouldn't try to bring it back off the ship afterwards if it goes unconsumed.

I'm pretty sure, but not 100% positive that the ships have mini-bars in each cabin. You should be able to get the steward to remove stuff you don't want in there to make room for your own stuff.

we have brought snakes with us & soda never had a problem we have sailed 18 times n in aug this will be our 19th bon voyage have a grea ttime

I always bring certain snacks on board. Between the stuff I pack for the plane and pre-cruise hotel night(s), and stuff I pick up just for the cruise I have all kinds of snacks. Candy is like $2.00 for a bag of M&M's in that mini bar. My now teenage son ate some candy and had a pop on one of our first cruises. My husband almost keeled over thinking about the minibar bill.:eek: Since then we have had them LOCK the minibar or remove the items in hotels and on cruises.

I refuse to pay the cruise line any more money for food. I don't eat in the specialty restaurants either. I WILL however enjoy local specialties in port. It is not about the money but the principle. (Well, Steve might say it WAS about the money...)

Had to laugh at the stories about "mom's" who pack a hamper for traveling family....many years ago Dh & I had flown to visit my brother & his family in Maine...he is a professional chef & for our return flight he had packed us a gourmet lunch...we laughed at all the food he had stuffed in the hamper.. we weren't laughing a few hours later when our flight from Bangor to Atlanta ended up being a flight from Bangor to Boston to Philly to Atlanta...sitting in the Philly airport eating his excellent lunch rather than overpriced dried out airport food...:D

Archived