fuel charge

vacationron

They keep saying no but if one of the cruise lines does it suspect they will all jump in.

They will let you know if it happens.

Hope so, as the last time it was imposed we found out on our SS card to the tune of $7 pd pp. Cost was $140 additional for us at that time. We had made final payment and believed we made it before the dead line. Guess not.

According to your contract with Carnival:

"(d) Cruise Fare does not include fuel supplement charges. “Fuel supplement” shall mean any additional charge to defray a portion of Carnival’s fuel costs. The amount of fuel supplements and government fees and taxes collected are subject to change. Carnival reserves the right to charge a fuel supplement of up to $9.00 per person per day, without prior notice, in the event that the price of light sweet crude oil according to the NYMEX (New York Mercantile Exchange Index) is greater than $70.00 per barrel of oil. Carnival may collect any fuel supplement in effect at the time of sailing, even if the cruise fare has been paid in full."

I feel pretty sure that Carnival learned a valuable lesson the last time, and I doubt seriously that we will ever see a "surcharge" again. Can you honestly be so naive to think the way cruise prices change daily that they aren't considering fuel costs? Jesus people, look at the corner gas station, the prices change almost hourly, why? They fluctuate with the market price of crude!!! Carnival is doing the same thing, only with a few more variables involved. I may be wrong, but that's my take on the "fuel surcharge". At the risk of sounding like an arse, if a couple hundred bucks will change your mind about cruising, you probably shouldn't be cruising to start with.

How's that song go? Don't worry, be happy!:D

I feel pretty sure that Carnival learned a valuable lesson the last time, and I doubt seriously that we will ever see a "surcharge" again. Can you honestly be so naive to think the way cruise prices change daily that they aren't considering fuel costs? Jesus people, look at the corner gas station, the prices change almost hourly, why? They fluctuate with the market price of crude!!! Carnival is doing the same thing, only with a few more variables involved. I may be wrong, but that's my take on the "fuel surcharge". At the risk of sounding like an arse, if a couple hundred bucks will change your mind about cruising, you probably shouldn't be cruising to start with.

Actually last time the issue was they added it and the contract didnt allow it added to already booked cruises, is why it was taken off.

Now the contract allows for it.

I went thru all that last time, then wound up paying $10 pp fuel (before someone jumps on me, this was RCL)... as I kept waiting to book until the dust settled. I know I followed it pretty closely ..how about you?

I have to believe they are hedged their fuel costs for quite a long time when the price went way down around Dec 2009. I can't believe they would get stung again after that huge fuel price runup in the summer of 2009.

They have already cut ports on many sailings and eliminated most long runs (martinique, barbados, aruba etc) from Miami/Ft Laud. to save fuel. Also many ships now cruise at 12 knots or less since they don't have to go as far further saving fuel.

RCL does not have fuel surcharge

From RCL Website:

Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65.00 per barrel. The fuel supplement for 1st and 2nd guests would be no more than $10 per guest per day, to a maximum of $140 per cruise; and for additional guests would be no more than $5 per person per day, to a maximum of $70 per cruise.

From RCL Website:

Royal Caribbean International reserves the right to impose a fuel supplement on all guests if the price of West Texas Intermediate fuel exceeds $65.00 per barrel. The fuel supplement for 1st and 2nd guests would be no more than $10 per guest per day, to a maximum of $140 per cruise; and for additional guests would be no more than $5 per person per day, to a maximum of $70 per cruise.

I think they meant they have not put the fuel charge into affect. Not that they don't have the option to, they just aren't currently charging it.

Although I would rather not have to pay the surcharge, it isn't going to break the bank. So many people freely spend money on drinks, pictures, etc. without even thinking. This is a relatively small amount.

I had the surcharge in my budget from the get go. Nice if there won't be one, but $$ are already in vacation savings account if they do. I am now adding more to the savings account because I foresee our airfare to skyrocket. My fly dates aren't out yet for SW, but flight comparisions to FLL are already $40 more pp than the original budget I made 4 months ago.

From RCL Website:

They dont have one any more than Carnival currently has one.

And the truth is no one knows when or if one will be added. People enjoy speculating on all things cruise related ..not sure why people are putting up the policy showing cruiselines CAN add it...everyone knows that.

..not sure why people are putting up the policy showing cruiselines CAN add it...everyone knows that.

Apparently not everyone... they posted in response to someone who did not know and stated otherwise.

Archived