I wish I knew if this was a good price.

Prairie_Gal

Looking at flights from Calgary, AB (YYC) to San Juan (SJU) next January. I know it is going to be expensive, but right now they are running about $800-1200 pp. Is $800 a decent price for that flight? Is there any way of looking at historical prices?

Is it generally better to book early, or wait?

For comaprison, our son paid approx $700 Edmonton - Miami on Air Canada this past Jan through Choice Air ( RCI ), taxes included. He booked in Sept or October, can't remember the exact date. Of course he connected in Toronto. Fortunately the weather was great so no delays.

We flew from Regina to San Juan for a holiday cruise Dec 2009. We booked our flights in March and paid approximately $1200 pp. We continued to follow the flight prices on line and within weeks of booking they went up to $2100pp and never went down. Of course this was for a high season flight, but we were sure happy we booked early!

Beth

Try farecast.com. Just put in the airports and the dates wanted and wait for their prediction - up, down, or steady.

It says there is no predictions for those cities.

Based on what HookedOnSXM and LiftLockCouple have experienced, $800 doesn't sound too bad. I know we paid about that to fly to Hawaii.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Looking at flights from Calgary, AB (YYC) to San Juan (SJU) next January. I know it is going to be expensive, but right now they are running about $800-1200 pp. Is $800 a decent price for that flight? Is there any way of looking at historical prices?

Is it generally better to book early, or wait?

I'm not familiar with the YYC-SJU market but based on distance travelled $800 dollars sounds reasonable $1200 a little high. My guess is the fare will fall somewhere between those two prices. As far as booking early or late it's a crap shoot, you could book it at $800 and the next day the fare could go up or down $200. Usual rule of thumb is the further in advance you buy the lower the fare but it's not gauranteed to work that way..

It says there is no predictions for those cities.

Based on what HookedOnSXM and LiftLockCouple have experienced, $800 doesn't sound too bad. I know we paid about that to fly to Hawaii.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Yes, I think it must be too far out for predictions. You could always check prices for the next few months and see what they say. I wish there was a way of knowing "for sure" what the future holds as far as plane fares!

Prairie gal...not sure this helps given the recent jump in oil prices. We booked Calgary-San Juan last June for Dec10/Dec 27/2010 trip. We booked United @ $732. CAD which included all taxes. At the time we booked there was a slightly less expensive (by about $50 or so) routing but it involved a red eye flight. Good luck.

Archived