Chef's Table on Carnival Legend

Prof Peg

Well, there has to be a first time for everything. This is my first attempt at a review. So let's start out on a smaller scale and do a review of my first ever Chef's Table.

There is no way that I can do this topic justice other than to recommend the experience to serious gourmets. Oooo--doesn't that sound like I have my nose up in the air? I say it because gourmet cooking (and eating) is not for everyone, there are those who spend every meal on the Lido deck (and that's exactly where half my family would be). But for those who like to go above and beyond when cooking, this is an experience not to be missed!!

Chris_John_Enjoying.jpg

To set the scene, this was our second cruise, the Legend on January 16, 2011. A friend and I had secretly made reservations for the Chef's Table as a Christmas present for my husband (on right) and her boyfriend (on left). There has to be a better way to make that statement, it sounds like my husband is her boyfriend :rolleyes:-- no, no, two separate people.

As you will see from the menu the Chef's Table was held on January 18, 2011, the evening of our Grand Cayman visit. An invitation had been placed in our cabin "mailbox" informing us of the time and place to meet. Normally there are 12 guests who attend. We were greeted by Carnival Sr. Sous Chef Jai Bhasin and the tour began!! First we were taken through the galley and although we were off to the side, keep in mind that this is a fully operational galley during the first seating of dinner. Activity was going on everywhere. As we watched dining room personnel coming and going (with a happy wave from our favorite waiter Sinisa), Chef Jai served champagne and hors d'oeuvres. The four of us were absolutely in love with the duck potstickers and the steak taco (far more than what their simple names imply). The galley operation is a testament to efficiency and choreography. Not only are people in non-stop motion but the plates and special orders seem never-ending.

Next we were taken to the final destination where dinner would be served (each Chef's Table on the ship may be held in a different location). Our location for the night was Medusa's Lair. Interesting locale - low lights, exotic decorations, but no dancing for the moment.

Medusaroof.jpg

Ceiling Ornament

I do hope this next photo comes out - the Menu for the evening:

menu.jpg

Each course was served with wine and an in-depth explanation of the ingredients of the dish. Many of the ingredients would surprise the average cook. I have photos from the evening and in my next post, I will begin showing them to you.

I was very fortunate to have my friend reminding me to take photos because there were moments when I was in such awe of the presentation that I forgot to snap the photo.

Norwegian Salmon Tartar

1NorwegianSalmonTartar.jpg

Fire Roasted Tomato and Poblano Chili Bisque

(doesn't look quite complete, does it?)

2aBisquebefore.jpg

Here we go (do you know why that first bowl was served without the liquid?)

2bBisqueafter.jpg

Rock Shrimps and Apple Beignets

3rockshrimp.jpg

Chopped Mediterranean Salad

4MediterraneanSalad.jpg

More to come in Chef's Table Part 3

At this point, I have to tell you that I am finishing some of each dish but unlike my DH, I am not "cleaning my plate." A lesson he wishes he had learned before the main course came.

Next:

Fillet of Chilean Sea Bass

5ChileanSeaBass.jpg

Prior to the next course coming (which was cooked to order), we were entertained by a young man proficient in magic tricks.

Entertainment.jpg

On to the next course... Aged Fillet Mignon

6FiletMignon.jpg

(yes, indeed, filet mignon is my DH's very, very most favorite -- guess who couldn't finish because he was so full)

Okay, here is where I begin to lose track of everything (must have been the wine). The following was served

7Unknown.jpg

Now I know the white strip is white chocolate, and there are raspberries, and some sorbet? I'm not sure, but I didn't get the name however I did take a picture!!!

REWIND THE TAPE HERE, I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT while we were in the galley, we were shown how the Chocolate Melting Cake is prepared. And the cake that we watched being made was served to us during our dinner.

That is the ONLY photo I did not get (do you believe it?). So instead I'll repeat Carnival Lines photo that I got online.

ChocolateMelt.jpg

At the conclusion of dinner, we were presented with a photo of the group and a copy of the Carnival recipe book, signed by Chef Jai.

Well, now that my tale is told, I believe I have gained 5 lbs. Just reliving the memories can add calories.

Price per person was $75. There is controversy surrounding the topic of gratuity. Some say it is included; others say it is not and add an amount on (which will be put on the Sail & Sign card). I cannot tell you which is the correct answer, I do know for a fact that all the people sitting around me were adding on a gratuity because it had been such a long and wonderful evening. The Chef and his staff truly deserved any extra amount that we gave.

Would I recommend it? Yes, in a heart beat. Then take a stroll around deck, unnotch your belt, change into loose clothing.

If anyone is on the Legend and you see Chef Jai, please tell him that his presentation is memorable and that we so appreciated our evening. We asked for two recipes, really not thinking that we would ever get them --- within a day, they appeared in our cabin mailbox.

BON APPETITE!!!

What a wonderful review and nice kudos to the chef!!

This is new for me as the last time I was on the Legend, there wasn't a Chef's table evening. Only the steakhouse which we went to and LOVED.

So we were planning on the steakhouse yet again but now I am torn!!

We are in a big family group so maybe one of the evenings, I will surprise my boyfriend and do this. I also love being in the MDR atmosphere with family and recounting the day that we had so I will need to figure out which night to do these on.

Your pics of the food were gorgeous! It looks like something us two foodies would definitely enjoy when we go back on her in October.

I am loving this Chef's Table review! My boyfriend and I are booked for the Chef's Table on the Destiny on our cruise which leaves this Saturday.

Now I'm even more excited for our upcoming dining experience. Thank you for sharing your Chef's Table experience with so much detail!

Thank you so much Prof Peg! DH and I will be having this experience on our October cruise aboard the Legend. I was wondering what we are in for, and now I know. It's going to be great! All the pictures are very helpful, as well as the menu. Now it's just wait, wait, wait for our turn. Thanks again for posting!

My wife and I want to do this on the Liberty in August. What is the bet way to get reservations? Most say to send a message to John's blog, but not quite sure how to do that (I am not very tech savy)!

Thank you for a great review of the Chefs table on Legend. We are on Legend 3/27 and are booked for this. Your pics made me even more anxious!!Did anyone at your table ask for menu changes due to food allergies? I have heard that you can request alternate meals and the chef is more than happy to comply but would love confirmation if you actually saw it occur.THANKS again for a great review & pics!

We're doing the Chefs Table next month! Thanks so much for your review, I wondered where the diners ate on the Legend. Would be so fun to do it in the disco!

The food looks amazing. Glad to hear you found it was well worth the cost.

You will have a spectacular time - enjoy! Others have told me that dinner is held in a variety of places, library, discos, etc. Half the fun was wondering where you were going to end up for your dinner.

Peg

My wife and I want to do this on the Liberty in August. What is the bet way to get reservations? Most say to send a message to John's blog, but not quite sure how to do that (I am not very tech savy)!

I wrote to John Heald at his blog, although you also can make reservations once you're on board. I also read where people contacted Carnival, but I'm not sure about that one (just what I read).

Normally there are only 12 people involved, but on our January cruise, the chef said there was going to be a second chef's table night. The Chef's Table is becoming very, very popular.

Awesome reveiw regarding the chef's table, and also thanks for posting the menu. The wife and I booked it for April on the Pride. Quick question, did your meal happen during a sea day or in port? Thanks again!

You will get an invitation in your door the night before. I had "assumed" it would be on the sea day, but that's not always the case I've been told. Ours happened to be the evening we returned from Grand Cayman. We did not dress up as much as on formal night, just very neat casual clothes.

Thank you for a great review of the Chefs table on Legend. We are on Legend 3/27 and are booked for this. Your pics made me even more anxious!!Did anyone at your table ask for menu changes due to food allergies? I have heard that you can request alternate meals and the chef is more than happy to comply but would love confirmation if you actually saw it occur.THANKS again for a great review & pics!

Excellent point and I should have mentioned it. We received a telephone call in our cabin (actually they left a message and I returned the call). A staff person was asking if either of us had any food allergies.

During the dinner, my friend Donna politely refused the salmon. She explained that she had a "bad experience" with salmon one time and just preferred not to have it. The waiter must have gone back and told Chef Jai because the Chef came out to her and was very apologetic ("if I had only known"). Donna said not to worry, she had forgotten to mention it ahead of time --- she would just enjoy her wine for that course. Within minutes, a plate was delivered to her with a sampling of some other delicacy (I can't remember what it was, but then I was busy with my face in my plate!!!).

They are more than accommodating for food allergies and such, I wouldn't be afraid to mention it. Even if they don't contact you, make sure you let them know ahead of time.

As G.I. Joe would say "Knowing is half the battle." :D:D

I really want to do the Chef's table, but my DW is not a seafod eater. Would this be a waste for her to do?

I say it would still be worth it!

The Chef - on the Miracle - asked everyone in our group if thre were any allergies or anything we would not try. One gentleman said seafood and another stated nothing raw. They were provided with other options in place of what they would not (or could not) eat.

Thank you for this awesome review!! We are booked for this and cant wait! Its also good to know they will do substitutions, I have a horrible allergy to seafood, especially shellfish but was just planning to skip those courses :)

We're doing CTon the Legend this April. Somewhere I read you need to wear cosed toe shoes not sandals. Is this accurate??:confused:

I am so glad you asked this and that Bookworm came up with the answer. It again reminds me of something I could have said in my review. I wore tennis shoes (Keds-type, not the heavy kind). The galley on the Legend is as clean as they come, but it is a working galley. The floors can be slippery and they are. I did one of those little skate-on-your-heel-for-a-second things! I was so grateful I kept my balance. I wouldn't want to put anybody out by having to be taken away on a stretcher (I take after my mother :D)

• 2 months later...

To set the scene, this was our second cruise, the Legend on January 16, 2011. A friend and I had secretly made reservations for the Chef's Table as a Christmas present ..

I have a question I secretly booked this for my husband for his birthday and I'm really trying to keep it a secret for as long as possible, So what I would like to know is when do they bill it to your s&s so that I know when to tell him, also do you get the invite the day of the dinner or before hand? I have my confirmation email printed off and ready to go in case there are any issues Im sure there won’t be but better over prepared then not prepared at all... And thank you for the great pictures im starving now

:)

when we did it on the Liberty the Chef found us in the dining room and came to spoke to anyone that was going to the dinner and asked if about allergies and dislikes.

I did my reservation for the Legend for Oct. by going on to the Legend web page on carnival to the steak house reservations. Once on the steak house on the line for first name i put my whole name on.

on the line for last name i put chef table reservation. (fill in the rest of the information on the page) It worked as i did get a confirmation back from the steak house stating that we are booked for the Chef table.

The steak house handles all the reservations for the Chef table.

You can go on John Heald's blog and put your request in for a reservation.

I prefer to have my reservation in early before we board as they do only want 12 guest at a sitting. As others have said it is worth every penny

To set the scene, this was our second cruise, the Legend on January 16, 2011. A friend and I had secretly made reservations for the Chef's Table as a Christmas present ..

I have a question I secretly booked this for my husband for his birthday and I'm really trying to keep it a secret for as long as possible, So what I would like to know is when do they bill it to your s&s so that I know when to tell him, also do you get the invite the day of the dinner or before hand? I have my confirmation email printed off and ready to go in case there are any issues Im sure there won’t be but better over prepared then not prepared at all... And thank you for the great pictures im starving now

:)

Keeping a secret is sooooo hard, you get so excited you want to tell the person right away.

My friend and I both told the gentlemen what we had planned when we boarded the ship. We wanted them to know that they had a special invitation coming and that they would be dressing nice, but not formal.

The meal was not actually put on S&S until after you signed for it at the completion of the meal. So in reality my DH signed for it, but it still came as a nice surprise for him. If I had asked him ahead of time, he would have said no way, don't spend the money, why buy a meal when you have a free one that came with the cruise, etc. etc. etc. But after the dinner was over, that's all he could talk about even after we came home. We don't bore people with photos, we kill them with our food stories!!!! Later we bore them with the photos.

Archived