Mexico ??

leedm

I have been cruising Mexico ports for the past 4 years with no fear of where we go, but I'm starting to think maybe it is time to choose another place to cruise. I know there has not been a big problem in Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen or Costa Maya so far, but I do not want me or my family to be the next CC article of some one being killed on a tour. It seems like the problem in Mexico is comming to the Yucatan. Am I wrong??

leedm:confused::confused:

As many cruisers will tell you, the media is exaggerating !

"We're not afraid of going to Mexico", they will say.

(Acapulco was fine this past weekend......only 12 taxi drivers/customers were shot to death/decapitated, etc).

I have been cruising Mexico ports for the past 4 years with no fear of where we go, but I'm starting to think maybe it is time to choose another place to cruise. I know there has not been a big problem in Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen or Costa Maya so far, but I do not want me or my family to be the next CC article of some one being killed on a tour. It seems like the problem in Mexico is comming to the Yucatan. Am I wrong??

Then stop going to Mexico. Only you can decide where you want to go.

I will be in Cozumel and Costa Maya next week......I am in the Govt and have to get an AT Brief....Report seemed pretty safe in those two places....But you never, know....

Merida which is the capital you visit from Progresso said it prides itself on being the peacefull city.

If you are visiting from calif, there are more reasons to worry, but not so much where you said you are going.

Mexico is a big place...dont put one label on the whole of Mexico.

Violence in Mexico is mainly in the border towns.

Do people get robbed elsewhere? Sure. Do people get assaulted elsewhere? Sure.

Not onlly Mexico, but every country in the world...with the U.S. being high on the list.

You cannot live your life in fear....and you must take the media reporting with a small grain of salt. They use fear to keep up their ratings. After all, reporting that nobody was assaulted or killed today...doesn't make headlines.

The OP asked a legitimate question, and many jump onboard with a snarky response. The OP was curious and I think now get's the point !!!

Sorry...... Sometime you just have to have a little fun with a serious matter, otherwise you would never do anything. What I was saying is, it's dangerous no matter where you go. You must be very careful no matter where you go. :(

Acapulco has been a hotbed of trouble and violence for some time now.

It is true that people tend to lump together all of Mexico when there is trouble in certain areas. While there is no way to predict where it will be next, there is also no way to predict when the next shooting or violent act will occur in the US.

We are no more safe from drug violence, drunk drivers, road rage, or just getting caught in the crossfire of burglary shooting here. We also have crooked cops on the take. I am not by any means saying all of our police are bad cops, I know we have excellent police officers doing their jobs everyday. But to think all this is just in Mexico, is just a false sense of security. Only you can decide for yourself if travel to Mexico is safe enough. There is violence and drug wars on nearly every Caribbean Island as well. It is just more widely reported about Mexico.

Archived