Mahogany Bay Docking Problems?

psbfan01

So I have read a few reviews now where the Roatan stop was cancelled due to ships being unable to dock at MB. Evidently the captain must back the ship in (I hate parallel parking, I can just imagine what a headache this is), and also if the winds are not quite right, the port is cancelled.

How often does this happen?

It seems well, idiotic, to me, to build a brand new costly cruise ship pier and dock facilities only to have it difficult for ships to dock there.

I really want to see Roatan. Would you recommend taking a cruise that docks at Coxen Hole instead?

TIA

I've been to Mahogony Bay twice, and can't understand how they couldn't dock? It must have been an extremely bad weather day. Mahogony bay is a large dock and very easy access. This had to have been a rare event. Things like this can happen at almost any port if the weather is bad, and this kind of bad weather is not uncommon in the winter, or during hurricane season. I say take your chances....Any sailing could have ports canceled, due to a number of reasons. We have had to cancel Grand Cayman twice due to seas too high for tendering (both times in the winter months), had Key West cancelled once due to person overboard on our Costa Cruise, cancelled a stop in Cozumel twice, once due to Hurricane Wilma, and second, due to Swine flu outbreak. None of our cruises were ruined though, and would do everyone of them again if given the chance.

Large ships such as the Carnival Dream sometimes have trouble getting in or out of Mahogany Bay because of wind. The entrance to the port is shallow on both sides, so high winds will prevent the Dream from docking.

I've heard of the Dream missing it at least 2 times in the past year and having to stay late 1 additional time.

It is up to the Captain of each ship to decide whether or not conditions permit docking or tendering in any port.

Carnival's Dream and on occasion other ships have chosen not to dock at Mahogany Bay. As airmj2123 has pointed out, the cove is very shallow and ships must back down the narrow channel to the pier. Larger ships are by nature harder to manuever and run a risk of being damaged or passengers injured if the ship tried to entry the channel unde rthese conditions. No way of knowing in advance if the port will be cancelled. This happens in Grand Cayman and Half Moon Cay all the time when the water is too rough to tender. Don't panic. Tour operators and beach resorts are very aware if a ship does not make port and should have refund policies for this occurrance.

In january of this year we were on the Carnival Legend (Great Cruise and ship). When we arrived at the enterance to Mahogany Bay the Dream was parked a little out just sitting there. She had apparently tried to enter and had to head back out. The Legend proceeded to enter (the winds were maybe 20 knots). I was amazed at the tight quarters backing (yes backing) into the port. The Legend made it in and we had an amazing day at Mahogany Bay. It is really a nice place!

The Dream gave it one more try. Got all line up to back in and then aborted. Felt bad for the folks on the Dream.

I've been to Mahogony Bay twice, and can't understand how they couldn't dock? It must have been an extremely bad weather day. Mahogony bay is a large dock and very easy access.

At least 36 cruise ship captains do not agree with how easy it is.

Since November 2009, (At least )** 24 ships with 73,000 passengers intended to dock at MBCC ended up at Port of Roatan due to weather. Twelve Carnival vessels with 29,000 passengers were unable to call on Roatan at all because of weather

Read about it here

http://www.bayislandsvoice.com/

** More have missed MB since the article was written

If there are high winds from the right direction they can't dock at Mahogany Bay. They have to back down a pretty narrow channel and wind can be an issue. The day we were there last month the wind came up in the afternoon and we were told that if that wind had been there in the morning we wouldn't have docked.

We were one of the unlucky ones who were on the Carnival Dream in January and couldn't dock in Roatan. Very disappointed and then to top it off we were suppose to go to Costa Maya next, also canceled! I realize you can't always count on the weather, but what really angered me was the millions that Carnival spent to make the new port in Roatan and then come to find out from the locals that they totally destroyed the reef in the process, shame on you greedy Carnival when you had a perfectly good port at Coxen Hole. Also Carnival will not allow local vendors inside the port, so if you do a private tour you must walk quite a ways to meet them. Different company for us next cruise.:(

We just came back from the 2/19 trip on the Dream and missed Roatan Island. :( While sitting on the back deck we watched the Carnival Legend pull right up to the dock as we were being told we couldn't go in because of the wind.

We caught up with the Legend in Costa Maya and they were not able to go into Belize and were told it was because of high winds. That was somewhat funny because the Dream was able to dock..

I care. Loss of reef anywhere, anytime is not a good thing. As I am not familiar with Roatan (visiting for the first time in about 2 weeks) did they dredge for ships to dock in Coxen Hole or just the Mahogany Bay locale ?

The dock in coxen hole also damaged the reef by filling in hundreds of cubic feet of the sea and they will be doing more in the future so both docks servicing cruisers have thrown the environment away, I am proud to say i have never paid a dime to any cruise company , especially when their bottom line is obviously more important, afterall, once one place is ruined they can build another dock somewhere else. It's funny if you read the article there was even an issue with Carnival paying their fine for the first dredging, afterall, it was only $50,000 US, Imagine if they overdredged the Florida keys what it would have cost them. And by the way, who do they pay to decide what needs doing? Seems someone really screwed the pooch when applying for the first permit if its still too small even after exceding what was said was to be done. That person alone likely makes more per year than the little fine they balked at

Has anyone on the Spirit been able to dock here? I've read a lot about Legend and Dream not being able to and was wondering if those ships are bigger so it was harder for them to dock. Or if it just matters on the wind. We aren't going till April and I really don't want to miss Roatan or Belize.

Has anyone on the Spirit been able to dock here? I've read a lot about Legend and Dream not being able to and was wondering if those ships are bigger so it was harder for them to dock. Or if it just matters on the wind. We aren't going till April and I really don't want to miss Roatan or Belize.

;);) LOL!!

Who cares about recent posts and how they have killed the reef as long as we can dock there.. Such a sad thing.

I'm curious why you are on cruisecritic if you don't even cruise?

Because cruise ships come to the wonderful island i lives on and i like to keep up with what folks are saying about it and also answer the more local questions that people who only visit for a few hours may not have answers to. Is that OK with you? BTW, The airport is very seldom closed and they did not fill in or dredge the reef to buld it

Because cruise ships come to the wonderful island i lives on and i like to keep up with what folks are saying about it and also answer the more local questions that people who only visit for a few hours may not have answers to. Is that OK with you? BTW, The airport is very seldom closed and they did not fill in or dredge the reef to buld it

Yes, it's ok with me and I think it's great that the locals would like to help us tourists with our questions. It just seemed like you had an attitude when I asked mine. Maybe I read into it wrong. No problem here. I am just looking forward to visiting the island and was wondering if there was a chance I wouldn't be stopping there.

Wow, this is truly a catch-22 situation. As most are.

Roatan has a beautiful reef - that surrounds the island..... that is one main reason why people want to go there. To get cruise ships in, some of the reef was compromised. Without the cruise and tourist $$ Roatan would not have the economic influx it does.

Now, to some that would be a good thing, keep it the way it was. Since we all know we are past that point, we should all work together to figure out other ways to keep Roatan clean, safe and special.

Sanddiver: understand your frustration, but jabbing at posters on this forum and sarcasm will not get you anywhere. Those that travel to your island on cruise ships had no part in YOUR GOVERNMENTS decision to let the cruiselines dredge etc. They do, however, bring tourist dollars to the economy/island. Hope you can channel your negative energy into a postive outlet.

Archived