Mahogany Bay Docking Problems?

psbfan01

• 4 months later...

I don't understand why in this port they just didn't tender, Grand cayman does it and it doesn't stop the people from going there.

I've live in fl and the bahamas most of my young life and seen time nd time again how $$ buys exceptions to environment. Florida is a dump compared to what it was 30 years ago..water used to be clear even in the intercostal,(look at it now if porting in Fort Lauderdale).

I just can't understand why they ruin a reef that could hunderds of year to make..my other complaint is the cruisers that STEP/ TOUCH the reefs. If they can't swim enough with out stopping and stepping on a reef to rest, they shouldn't be out there...drives me nuts when I see it and tell the person what it's doing below the reef.

At least 36 cruise ship captains do not agree with how easy it is.

Read about it here

http://www.bayislandsvoice.com/

** More have missed MB since the article was written

That really is a shame. For both the passengers and the residents of Roatan. The passengers have to miss such a beautiful place and the residents that rely on tourism don't make the income they would from those that missed the port day.

Perhaps MB will be used as an example when man-made docking areas are considered in other locations. I'm thinking folks will really look at every aspect of the location. I'm wondering who at Carnival Corp is getting in trouble for this apparent issue.

• 5 months later...
Has anyone on the Spirit been able to dock here? I've read a lot about Legend and Dream not being able to and was wondering if those ships are bigger so it was harder for them to dock. Or if it just matters on the wind. We aren't going till April and I really don't want to miss Roatan or Belize.

We sailed on the Spirit last year and had no problem docking in MB. Yes, they do back in to the dock. It was calm when we arrived and they just slipped right up to the dock. I have trouble backing into a parking place.

Considering Costa cruiseline is part of Carnival Corp. ....You can be darn sure that no ship's Captain is going to take even the slimmest chance of a problem getting into Mahagony Bay. Our waiter on Princess Crown said many crew members watch as the ships attempt to dock at M Bay. And the Captains are making more decisions not to dock since the Costa disaster. Makes sense.

We were on the Crown Princess in April, 2011 and got to Roatan, saw land, and it seemed that the ship turned tail and ran. :(

We were told the winds were too high to get into port and the under tows were too strong to attempt to tender. Really hoping the conditions are perfect as I'd hate to miss it twice!

We first visited Roatan on a land-based vacation, where there were only 2 flights per week in. Lovely island - great scuba-diving.

We visited once on a cruise ship, but in Jan 2011, our ship the Carnival Dream could not dock. Very disappointing, as we had the most wonderful and elaborate plans for that day. (We tend to have simple plans for a couple of ports, and choose one port to have some over-the-top, fun plans.)

Oh well.....at least now I have plans all set for the next time we go there.

Archived