Timing of reboarding the ship

irishayes

If the documents say the ship is in port from 8-5 on a certain day, what is the latest you should re-board the ship? How long does reboarding take?

I would never tell you what time to be back onboard........there will be a sign when you exit the ship for that. (just in case I say 4:30 and the ship leaves without you).

In most cases, re boarding is a breeze. Usually you just walk right on to the ship with little to no wait, unless of course your port is tendered.....then you will have a bit of a wait while everyone gets off (the tender that is). Either way no big wait to worry about.

Every cruise I have been on will post the time that you need to be back on board,at the gangway as you leave, and usually in the ships daily program. Have never seen less than 30 minutes, sometimes more, and this will be ships time, which is not neccessairly local time. Be sure before going ashore, it won't wait. Bill

If the documents say the ship is in port from 8-5 on a certain day, what is the latest you should re-board the ship? How long does reboarding take?

They will tell you what time you need to be back and as others have

posted there is a sign at the gangway that will tell you as well.

The latest is usually about 30 minutes before the ship sails.

If you're travelling with your parents, it's always fun to wait until the last possible moment and then saunter up to the pier. DH and I missed the last bus to the pier in Stockholm, and then couldn't get a cab. Apparently my parents were apoplectic with worry. But we got there just about 40 minutes before departure time, so all was well. We just haven't heard the end of it in 3 years :eek:

Most times you will be ready to get back on board before the scheduled time.

You will know you are running late when you see the shore men standing around ready to cast off the lines and you see the gang plank being pulled in. In that situation run, wave your arms and yell as loud as you can towards the ship. If the ship is pulling away from the dock the arm waving may give you a little extra lift when you try jumping from the dock.

The alternative would be to try and get on the pilot boat before that leaves to pick up the pilot.

Always be sure to check the ship's time before you get off. Occasionally it may differ from the local time.

Usually the only time re-boarding can be a pain is a tender port. We were in Lahaina a few years ago and it was a mess. In Hawaii the ports have security before you go through ship security. The security company didn't have enough people on the dock and a lot of tours finished at the same time. The line was very long-- about 45 minutes (in the sun).

Friends of ours were much smarter. The went to a bar across the street. There were ship personnel in there and they just left the bar when they did and caught the last tender. No danger of missing the boat when you're with the crew. They didn't see us, or they said they would have wised us up! :cool:

Usually the only time re-boarding can be a pain is a tender port. We were in Lahaina a few years ago and it was a mess. In Hawaii the ports have security before you go through ship security. The security company didn't have enough people on the dock and a lot of tours finished at the same time. The line was very long-- about 45 minutes (in the sun).

Friends of ours were much smarter. The went to a bar across the street. There were ship personnel in there and they just left the bar when they did and caught the last tender. No danger of missing the boat when you're with the crew. They didn't see us, or they said they would have wised us up! :cool:

Depending on which crew members are missing, I have seen ships wait longer for passengers than crew. Just a thought.

Oh, yes, do check the times as you leave the ship. This past October we were on a TA on the Ruby Princess. In Ponta Delgada, the Azores, we waited about 30 minutes for two missing couples, then set sail without them. Our next port, Ft. Lauderdale, was five days away. Sure hope they were good swimmers!

please wait until the very end so that others who are back on board can set up betting pools on 1) if you make it 2) how many times does your name get called and 3) how you act when coming up to the ship ;-)

posted in the daily sheet as well as by the doors as you are leaving

If you're travelling with your parents, it's always fun to wait until the last possible moment and then saunter up to the pier. DH and I missed the last bus to the pier in Stockholm, and then couldn't get a cab. Apparently my parents were apoplectic with worry. But we got there just about 40 minutes before departure time, so all was well. We just haven't heard the end of it in 3 years :eek:

Hi GrBlizz !

Funny Story - years ago.... we were sailing on Royal Carib out of San Juan. My Sister and her DH's plane was delayed from JFK due to bad weather. We were all having nervous breakdowns, wondering if they would make the ship or not. Due to some excellent work from an RCL Airport Agent - who somehow got in touch with the ship, the ship waited an extra 15 minutes for them, and the Gangway was pulled up the moment after they were onboard.

At the airport, RCL put them on a company van (even though they did not purchase tickets in advance), along with another couple who were sailing on a Carnival Ship. We saw the other couple standing at the Pier, watching their ship sail away. We felt very bad about that, but that's one of the above and beyond extras that Royal & Celebrity offers.

Archived