News Flash-Splendor now skipping Maztalan!

gargoyle999

I'm sailing this Friday, 2/25/11, on the Spirit and we also have two days in Cabo scheduled already. I'm hoping they'll exchange Mazatlan for a second day in Puerto Vallarta. Anxiously waiting for updates. I am fine with going to Mazatlan if they decide to keep the itinerary, but I sure do love PV . . .

Although we love Mazatlan, I would rather stay two nights in PV than Cabo any day!

This kind of makes me sad. I loved going to stone island and just hangin out. Had plans on going there and getting some horses in about 24 days. Oh well, I will be on a cruise and NOT at work...

Are you sailing Splendor or Spirit? We're going on Spirit in 25 days....from Madera.

Per Mazatlan newspaper 2 locals were chased and killed by an armed commando at a hotel parking lot in the Golden zone, witnessed by cruise passengers.

Maybe this was the trigger for Carnival to skip Maz again.

Just read the story in the Mazatlan messenger.

We can't really expect carnival to just ignore this unfortunate tragedy, they would be saying the line doesn't care about our safety.

it was right in the middle of the Golden zone, and even in the doorway of the Hotel Flores. I am not one to stay away from a port, but I can understand Carnivals position completely. I feel so sorry for the hardworking people of the city who depend on our tourist dollars. Hope it is better soon.

I also do not like Cabo, and for me to have to spend 2 days there would be very disappointing.

I tried to search for a story about a recent shooting, and the only one I could find was the one where a Canadian was shot. He was not a cruiser, and That was about a month ago. Is Carnival just now hearing about it???

I also tried to find stories about shootings and the last one was at the beginning of February 2011. So what the heck are they talking about? Sounds like their excuse to go back on the "we are supporting Mazatlan" statement. I know that they want passengers to be safe, but there are no other news stories about the other lines (besides Disney which is ongoing) skipping Mazatlan.

I like Maz, and was looking forward to showing the sites to my kids....Hopefully by mid-April when we cruise the Splendor.

On the Mariner at Thanksgiving we stopped at Mazatlan but the ship's main info desk, the cruise tour desk AND the concierge all advised us to stay on the ship or just take a taxi tour without getting out of the car!! They all said that various "intelligence" reports were coming in of violence and they were not officially allowed to make any recommendations of tours (even their own). This was even before the ships started skipping the port, so trouble was clearly ahead...

I think a lot of times the decision to return to a port (or skip a port) has more to do with the security intelligence they receive rather than something happening (like a Canadian getting shot). The problem is that this info is not reported in newspapers as it often involves covert operations by MX military of the like.

We chose to go to El Cid via taxi and had a wonderful time but I would say over 50% of the passengers stayed on the ship and just enjoyed the quieter pools and wonderful weather.

This time around, I would be more concerned about getting off the ship, that's for sure. I agree a more exotic port (Manzanillo perhaps?) would be nice. I do LOVE Cabo and PV though!

Katherine

John Heald Mazatlan and to respond to multiple comments here and on the blog re 2 subjects 1. Is the cancelation of the port permanent. - No. I spoke to the Senior Vice President again just now and no descion has been made. We are investigating this very carefully. We cannot rush the choice of wether to cancel or not. No descion yet on tomorrow's Carnival Spirit cruise or the following one for Carnival Splendor.

Th whole thing makes me sad...NO country (or state/city even in the US)likes having their tourism dollars go down the drain.

It's amazing how the horrid acts of a few can impact/ruin the lives of so many people.

Information for Norwegian Star

Norwegian Star Guests (02/24/11 4:15 PM EST)

The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. Therefore, the company has been closely monitoring the situation in Mazatlan, Mexico.

Because of recent incidents of violence in Mazatlan, we are canceling all of Norwegian Star’s calls to Mazatlan for the remainder of the season through the April 30, 2011 sailing. Instead, the ship will make two back-to-back calls to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

We thank our guests for their understanding.

###

raylene5 not that it will help alot ...I was just there last week and i felt nothing but safe the whole time in all the ports...We saw plenty of Police and Military around the main areas of town....in PV we went to the mountains and even saw alot of Policia....I know it is just my opinion ...and voice...but be safe and dont go to crazy areas and you guys should be fine...

sometimes the police and military ARE the problem, just saying.....

John Heald I see that NCL released a statement about canceling all remaining calls to Mazatlan. Their season ends in April then all their ships leave. We obvioulsy have an all year round call with the Carnival Splendor. I just got off the phone with Terry the Senior VP in charge of destinations etc and this is what he told me.

John Heald ‎" we are meeting with Mexican officials today and will decide later today what we will do."

I realise many are waiting to know and I truly appreciate that the beards are allowing me to use this forum to keep you all updated.

Heres my take on this. I am leaving on the Splendor on 3/13. I was not looking forward to Matzalan and planed on not getting off the ship. Carnival knows its a "dangerous" port and is probably doing the right thing by skipping. If by some chance a cruise passenger got hurt in Mazatlan I am sure that Carnival would be sued because they knew it was a dangerous place. 2 days in Cabo is fine with me....

I too will be on the Splendor 3/13. I would love to visit Mazatlan and have a private excursion booked. I would be disappointed if we don't go.

However, if Carnival decides the risk outweighs the benefits that's fine as well, we will change our arrangements. But we can't do that until they make a decision one way or the other. Having waited for months to see if the Splendor would even be sea worthy in time for our cruise was annoying enough, now we have to wait for decisions on ports. I wish they would stop dragging this out.

Archived