M & G's on Marina

dwelsh

Well, Lyn, I'm sure I am NOT a heavy hitter ... OTOH when I met Tim Rubacky at an Oceania function in NYC last year (to update a few frequent travelers but mostly the press and TAs on Marina's progress) he knew who I was the minute he saw my name tag ...

Mura

• 1 month later...

We attended one of Jim and Stan's magnificent cocktail parties on Marina. The invitations were very well prepared and were not Xeroxed sheets. They were printed on card stock and had matching envelopes. It was a lovely event with more food and drink than we could have ever finished. We also attended the M&G on the inaugural voyage from MIA to SFO it worked out fairly well with a few mix ups on the time. We made the best of it.

We attended one of Jim and Stan's magnificent cocktail parties on Marina. The invitations were very well prepared and were not Xeroxed sheets. They were printed on card stock and had matching envelopes. It was a lovely event with more food and drink than we could have ever finished. We also attended the M&G on the inaugural voyage from MIA to SFO it worked out fairly well with a few mix ups on the time. We made the best of it.

Hi guys!

Great meeting you on the Marina, I hope we can do it again, soon!

Our Marina Meet & Greet was rescheduled because, much to our dismay, the original time would have conflicted with the Captains Cocktail Party.

Having had issues with conflicting events before, we prefer to leave the time and place of the Meet & Greet "up in the air" until we talk to the Concierge, but in this case the rest of the folks on the Roll Call felt that they wanted to pin something down in advance.

Thank goodness for the brilliant Kieth Hill at the Concierge desk who moved heaven and earth to get us into Horizons at a reasonable time that seemed to work for most of us. He was terrific!

"The ship provided food and non alcoholic drinks" might not be the best comparison, because if your group met in Horizons, then the food and non-alcoholic drinks would already be gratis on Oceania, anyway. ;)

(I'm not sure if you've sailed Marina yet, but one of the improvements is a permanent,dedicated food & drink alcove ala those in the Concierge and Suite Lounges.)

Pertinent to the importance that Oceania attaches to Cruise Critic, on our recent Marina cruise, the CC group was so large that aside from the Meet and Greet, we arranged for several more intimate cocktail parties.

Bob Binder came to one of those, Tim Rubacky (Director of Communications) attended twice, and the Captain & Mrs. Flokos honored us at a third.

Each was intimately acquainted with Cruise Critic, and was able to quote several of this boards "heavy hitters" very accurately (you know who you are!).

Lucky you.

FDR was on our segment as well (with his entire family).

He made no appearance at our M&G :(

Lucky you.

FDR was on our segment as well (with his entire family).

He made no appearance at our M&G :(

Was he invited?

There is no question in my mind that he would have made a point of being there if he had received an invitation, but crashing is another story.

Was he invited?

Not AFAIK.

He was traveling with his family (unlike on your voyages) and thus people respected his privacy.

Very little goes unnoticed by him and I suspect he knew that a M&G was going on - but maybe not. It was discussed on the roll call and he monitors the boards. Also that was the cruise where the CC organizer couldn't get the assistance from the concierge - thus the M&G was not a secret. A surprise appearnce would have been wonderful!

I never did get word about the M & G on the Miami to San Francisco cruise. I did get a invitation to Jim and Stan's cocktail party but couldn't go because of dinner at Jacques at the same time. Going to try to make it to this M & G.:(

Archived