M & G's on Marina

dwelsh

We are planning to organize a M & G for our July 1st voyage on Marina and would like to hear from other pax how, where and when your M & G was held or, for future sailings, is planned for. How did Marina staff help to make the meetings a success and what in the way of service was provided?

There have been several threads on this subject. Oceania staff tell people they will not do anything to assist in setting up a M&G.

However, our experience has been that it's easy enough to do this on board. Collect a list of names and cabin numbers. Once you board, go to the concierge and tell him you want to have a party. They won't provide refreshments or drinks, but they can look at their schedule and tell you where it will be held. Everyone I have set up (on the "R" ships) has been in Horizons, usually on the first or second day of the cruise. Sea days are good.

The concierge will send out invitations on Oceania letterhead to all the participants to let them know when and where.

Some people want to do in advance all the details ... it's harder to set it up that way given the central office's denial of service but it can be done.

I have found it VERY easy to work with the concierge.

Everyone I have set up (on the "R" ships) has been in Horizons, usually on the first or second day of the cruise. Sea days are good.

Thanks Mura, I agree with you regards the set up on the "R" ships. I am looking for information from someone who has arranged a meeting on the "M."

Thanks Mura, I agree with you regards the set up on the "R" ships. I am looking for information from someone who has arranged a meeting on the "M."

Mura has it right for Marina as well. On the Maiden Voyage we had a very large Roll Call (> 100) and hoped for O to help with something special but it did not turn out that way.

We were told that they would not produce the invitations but would distribute them for us and so some of those helping to organize the Roll Call (sorry I do not recall who) offered to print them up and get them to the Concierge. We did receive ours in our stateroom's mailholder. Being as passengers do not have access to a printer in the Computer room, O may have helped with the production in the end but not like the nice little cards in envelopes as we have received in the past.

In Horizon's there was an area set aside and a sign announcing the gathering but I do not recall if it read 'Private event' or Cruise Critic or such. That was pretty much it. At first the ship was not represented. I understand MParis184 (thanks!!) went out to find someone and returned with Nolan Dean from the entertainment staff (he is very talented entertainer and singer). Nolan gave greetings for the ship and excused the Captain as his attendance was needed with us sailing through rough waters at the time (and it was indeed bad weather that day)

Though I have read on CC that many pax like to meet and greet with the ship's Officers for me this is an opportunity to meet those from the Roll Call that we have been exchanging posts for so many months. That said it is nice to be recognized by having an Officer attend especially for such a loyal following as those from Cruise Critic.

In the end the gathering is what we make of it and we had a great time with all the Roll Call members.

Other than speculation I of course don't know why O has retreated from the support they did offer in the past and have not moved forward and formalized a M&G more. There could be many reasons and O has not phoned me to discuss it so I'll leave it at that.

Its just great to be on board and socialize with fellow CC members. I hope you enjoy your M&G as well.

Problem is --

#1 ...not many people have tried to do this on Marina yet.

#2 ... I really doubt it will be any different!

I would love to be proved wrong.

YoHoHo, I saw your post after I added mine....

I'm disappointed to hear that on Marina they won't even send out the real invitations. Did I read you right? I think we need to do a massive mailing to the senior management to say that the very least they can do is assist people who want to set up a private party. It would be nice if they would host it -- especially if you're talking about 100 people! But at least for a smaller group (such as I have always dealt with), finding a location and sending out the invitations would be very much appreciated.

Much as I disliked our NCL cruise (it cannot compare to O), at our M&G with around 100 people, all the senior staff showed up.

Very disappointing if they really are doing less than they used to.

Mura

I've always been curious about a couple of things re CC "meet and greets".

Number one: why do attendees often consider it a snub if ship's officers do not attend? And number two: why do they expect the ship to make extra efforts to facilitate the event? For instance - expecting ship's staff to send out invites, provide refreshments, bar staff, signage, etc.

I've never attended a M&G, but I if I were involved in one I would expect it to be self sufficient since the "group" is not paying any kind of a premium.

This is just my opinion; others obviously think otherwise.

Well, for me, when I've organized such a function it was just so we could meet EACH OTHER.

But it WAS nice on the NCL M&G I referred to for the staff to be present. They all made a nice short presentation and it was pleasant just to know who the various officers were. It certainly was not NECESSARY. (But it was nice to get extra information about the not-yet launched EPIC, not that I will ever sail on such a behemoth!) So, no, I personally don't consider it a snub if they don't show up. I'd rather they do their work and sail the ship!

Based on my limited experience, I wouldn't expect officers to show up except for a very large group.

But, as I said, when I have organized a party (always a cocktail party but that isn't essential either), no staff was present. We just had a pleasant time meeting each other.

That's really the intent of most of these get-togethers, I think.

I've never attended a M&G, but I if I were involved in one I would expect it to be self sufficient since the "group" is not paying any kind of a premium.

I expect nothing but it is nice when they section off an area for the group so you are not interfering with others in the lounge with some forewarning that we will be a large group they can put on extra staff if they have them available

Sometimes in the morning they only have 1 waiter in Horizons so a group would overwhelm him I am sure;)

We try to do our own M & G either after Muster drill or the next day

I have had the Concierge send out invites in the past but also have just arranged a time & place for the group to show up

We will see what happen this week when we board

Lyn

Thanks for the sparse info on "M." I realize that there really has been only 3 journeys so far and it is very early days but I look forward to hearing from Lyn, who we had the pleasure of traveling with a few years ago on the Insignia.

I cannot remember if any ship's officers or staff attended our meeting but last year on the SS trip, I recall that the CD was present and the ship did provide refreshments. (As if we needed them!!)

I've always been curious about a couple of things re CC "meet and greets".

Number one: why do attendees often consider it a snub if ship's officers do not attend? And number two: why do they expect the ship to make extra efforts to facilitate the event? For instance - expecting ship's staff to send out invites, provide refreshments, bar staff, signage, etc.

We've had the same self-arranged small group drinks meeting followed by dinner and it was more than sufficient for us.:)

I am keeping it simple and just posting it on CC on the roll call for our cruise. I posted that we were meeting at the Horizon's lounge at 5:30. I don't expect any of the officer's or Oceania staff to attend because it is just to meet the other CC folk's that we have been chatting with on line. I have to say that all the folk's I have meet so far at some of our get togethers are so nice and interesting. It has been great!:)

I am keeping it simple and just posting it on CC on the roll call for our cruise. I posted that we were meeting at the Horizon's lounge at 5:30. I don't expect any of the officer's or Oceania staff to attend because it is just to meet the other CC folk's that we have been chatting with on line. I have to say that all the folk's I have meet so far at some of our get togethers are so nice and interesting. It has been great!:)

Just "deciding to meet" at a certain hour is not the best idea. Even if you get lucky and don't plan your Roll Call at the same hour as the lifeboat drill, the Captains cocktail Party or (heaven forbid) Bingo; you still have to be concerned about what other uses Horizons might be put to when you are hoping to meet there.

On the Marina, the Roll Calls regularly number upwards of fifty people, and with the port side aft corner already glassed in as a smoking area, and the Starboard side aft a dedicated refreshment center, you will really only have the front of the room to work with. If anthing else is scheduled in the room, you are basically out of luck.

We began to ask for the invitations after what would have been our third Cruise Critic party on Oceania had to be reschedulled because of such a conflict. FYI, having to explain to a group of confused Cruise Critics as to why "their party" is being moved in time is not a pleasant experience.

The Concierge involved (Bruno) expressed that "Invitations are the better way to go". He has since revised that opinion.

If I might be so bold, these are the guidelines that I would suggest for setting up a Meet & Greet:

1) Make it easy for everyone. Approach the concierge with a complete Roll Call of participants including FULL NAMES and Cabin #'s.

2) Complile that list so that the Cabin #'s are listed in numerical order.

3) Approach the Concierge at a time convenient to him. Embarkation day is seldom the right time.

4) Choose the right person for the job. If someone in your Roll Call has used the Concierge previously, they may make for a better liason than the fabulous organizer among you who is willing to do the grunt work.

5) Tip (it has to be said).

MOST interesting! I never thought of tipping ... Mea culpa. I assume you mean the concierge ... I always thought they were above being tipped!

Then again, I haven't said such large groups when I set these things up, and it wasn't on Marina. The most I ever had was maybe 30 people.

But your suggestions are excellent whatever the ship ...

I confess that my list of participants was always in alphabetical order ... no, come to think of it, I think I did it both ways. One list alphabetical, one by cabin number. Even I figured out that would be easier for delivering the invitations.

Bruno no longer wants to do invitations? Is that what you said???? If he doesn't ... er, um????

Thanks for your excellent advice.

Mura

Thank you David for starting this link. What I have learned is rather interesting. I have set up 3 Meet and Greets for CC groups so far.

The first one the Concierge offered to print a formal invitation for us and deliver it. I had collected names and stateroom numbers. He suggested the time (10am Horizons, next morning - a day at sea). It went great. I think a member of the staff attended, but didn't stay. It wasn't planned to meet the officers, but to meet each other. It was very successful and we set up one more such meet and greet later in the voyage.

The second M&G I arranged, the Concierge was Bruno. He was very busy when I found him the first day. But he took time to help me figure out when and where (again 10am Horizons, next morning, day at sea). He told me he was extremely busy and didn't have time to print out formal invitations. I said that it was not necessary as long as we get the word out. I then suggested that I go to the computer lab and type up an invitation. He said the computer assistant would print it for me and then bring it back to him and he will copy it and have his crew deliver the flyer. Again, the M&G was very successful and I was surprised to find Dottie, our CD in attendance. She was wonderful and wanted to meet all of us.

By the 3rd voyage, I got Dottie's email address (she told me she'd be the CD on this cruise again). She set it up beforehand and I informed all 100 CCs of the time and date. Then when we got on the ship, we learned (Dottie too) that the drill was at the same time, again 10am Horizons, next morning. So we had to somehow inform everyone of the change. She of course attended again and was wonderful. I didn't deal with the Concierge until we ran into trouble. Bruno again. He saw me coming! OH NO NOT HER AGAIN! Actually he was again very helpful, but was unable to do more than deliver a message to those who sent me names and #s. And it was only 40 of the 100.

SO, this time, I offered to set up the M&G again for our July 1st voyage. I'm collecting a list of names and stateroom numbers. I will go see the Concierge when we board if I can find him. And I'll already have an invitation (Karen offered to make one), which we'll simply add the time and date to and have the C send them out. Problem is we don't have a day at sea the next day and the ship leaves at 6pm.

I proposed to my group on our board, that we encourage the C to set us up for 5:45 in Horizons on the second day in a section roped off for us. Happy hour is from 5-6 usually and hopefully Marina will follow suit with this. We don't need food and we can order our own drinks. I don't need any of the officers to attend, but if they can get me a mic, we can work out our own plan. We'll eventually meet the officers. They will be busy getting the ship ready to leave the port so I don't think they will have time to deal with us. Also I know there won't be any other events taking place in Horizons at that time, so hopefully this works. BUT, all CCs will have to LOOK for an invitation on their door to be sure of the time and date.

Sorry, too long! CHEERS,

Jan

I think I've posted elsewhere on this subject but don't feel like hunting for it; so I might repeat myself a little.

On the Maiden voyage, two lists were kept -- one was the "public" list on the roll call, which did not include last names or cabin numbers, in respect of people's privacy, A second list was compiled by email with very limited exposure -- it was initially compiled by Bobi, and when she went off on a cruise, was completed by me. This list included first and last names and cabin numbers, or, if the cabin number had not been assigned, a booking number. Ultimately, we collected full data for 108 people, although we had no way of knowing whether any of those had canceled.

I forwarded that list to a corporate representative who responded that Oceania is not sponsoring cruise critic parties in the sense that other cruise lines may, but they have no objections. He was to forward that list to the ship but in the haste of the last minute launching details, it fell through the cracks.

Therefore, once on board, I approached Bruno, the Concierge, with the list. Based on the previous response I had received from my corporate acquaintance, I asked Bruno to choose a time and a place for our get-together, and explained that we were not expecting any special treatment, but we did hope that they would print and distribute the invitations once a time and place had been determined.

Bruno stated flatly, and a tiny bit rudely, that "we have never printed invitations." I knew this to be wrong, but I held my patience. Kaye and I got together and she wrote out a basic invitation. I intended to have Paul in the computer lab print them for us.

However, Bruno apparently realized that among the thousands of details he had to juggle in those early days, he had been a bit short with me. I got a call from Keith Hill, the assistant concierge, to meet with him; we decided on a date and place; he called others on the staff to check on conflicts and such, and he offered to print the invitations if we told him what to say. I gave him Kaye's copy and he printed them up on Oceania letterheads. He also spent most of the day reconciling the names, cabin numbers (many had changed through upgrades, etc) and booking numbers. He was able to produce a final list of 96 people actually on board; he did miss one couple who let me know about it later.

He had the bell boys (they actually have two staffers so designated whose job it is to deliver these sorts of things) deliver them.

The actual M & G was at 10:00 AM on the sea day between Casablanca and Tenerife, the second scheduled sea day. I had already been told by my corporate friend that Mr. Del Rio would be getting off the ship before that time, and as reported earlier, the Captain wanted to attend but was required on the bridge during the rough weather.

On the second voyage, the Panama Canal crossing to San Francisco, I had a better idea of the process. Jim and I met with Keith Hill, gave him the list of names and cabin numbers, and the text of what the invitation should say. We picked a time and place (Horizons again, on a sea day, in the morning), and Keith printed the invitations as we sat there. They were delivered that evening and we had a good M & G.

It's essential that the time and place be worked out with the concierge, because of possible conflicts, but also to let the Food & Beverage manager arrange for additional staff to take any orders.

As I said in another thread, Oceania does not want to be placed in the position of giving preferred treatment to a very small percentage of passengers just because they visit a web site. They appreciate the views and reviews on Cruise Critic, and they recognize that the participants are a special group of people, but they don't want to risk having other groups complain. They do occasionally provide parties for other groups, but they are always paid by the group to do so. They also do not want such a sponsored party to compete with their welcome party or past guest party.

As far as following the example of other cruise lines, Oceania has always set the trend, not followed it. One cannot argue about their success in doing so.

Thanks for the details, Don.

Regarding O's reluctance to put CC (or any other group) in a "preferred" position as compared to other passengers, I am an original member of the old Yahoo board. O used to give us "free" parties (liquor and hors d'oeuvres) if we had 35 participantss but after a few years this opportunity was eliminated. We were told it was because that CC members were complaining.

So clearly there is a history of people objecting to what can be perceived as preferential treatment.

(It has also occurred to me over time that the reason we were given for the elimination of these parties may simply have been that it was a good excuse! I really don't know that CC members complained about our parties, we were just told that they had.)

I was particularly disappointed because our parties were discontinued at just the time when one of my sail dates would have qualified for the party! In the past we were always too few people ... for once we had 35 people by the cut-off date, and then WE were cut off!

I also wonder if Bruno's reluctance might have been because of the large size of your group. Whenever I have set up an informal party (cash bar, no food) we've had at the most 30-35 people -- usually more like 15-20 -- and it wasn't such a problem for them to print up invitations and deliver them to the cabins.

Whatever! Good lessons here for those of us who want to set up an M&G in the future.

Thanks!

Mura

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned & this was our experience

Day one spoke to Asst concierge Keith ..said he would be happy to send out invites and arrange a day/time for our meeting but could not advertise the name

I notified him we would also be meeting day 2 at 10:30 in the morning in Horizons & we had 80+ people would they be able to section off an area

answer : maybe but muster drill was on day 2 at 10:15

Most people showed up after the drill which was not as long as on the small ships ...no heading outside just had the drill at the muster station

Anyway we showed up but no area sectioned off

on March 10th no invites yet so checked with Keith

story: some nice person cleaned his desk for him and my list was gone

No problem I have it on my flash drive

He printed off the list

Story 2, so many groups had booked the lounge that we could have it on one of 2 nights

Cartagena where we do not leave until 8 pm or Grand Cayman we leave at 5 pm

so I opted for the 2nd option (this was the 2nd to last night of the cruise)

invites were delivered

the area was sectioned off & nibbles were present

maybe a dozen people showed up

My advice just schedule a time/place & show up

If you have a small group try Martinis

Funny they advertised Friends of Bill W. & FOD in the Currents DAILY as well as groups by Country of citizenship :confused:

Just my experience others may have a different one

Lyn

Day one spoke to Asst concierge Keith ..said he would be happy to send out invites and arrange a day/time for our meeting but could not advertise the name

I notified him we would also be meeting day 2 at 10:30 in the morning in Horizons & we had 80+ people would they be able to section off an area

Most people showed up after the drill which was not as long as on the small ships ...no heading outside just had the drill at the muster station

He printed off the list

Story 2, so many groups had booked the lounge that we could have it on one of 2 nights

invites were delivered

Funny they advertised Friends of Bill W. & FOD in the Currents DAILY as well as groups by Country of citizenship :confused:

Lyn

Thanks for that recent update! I'm organizing for the 3/28 TA and that info will help me!! We are doing, as you say, our own thing!! LuAnn

He printed off the list

invites were delivered

Lyn

Re: Currents Daily...I thought of that today, easy way to deliver to all. And as all the groups above it states "non-hosted". So ex: Friends of CC meet 6pm horizons (non hosted). It certainly will keep people guessing about who are all these friends of":p

Re: Currents Daily...I thought of that today, easy way to deliver to all. And as all the groups above it states "non-hosted". So ex: Friends of CC meet 6pm horizons (non hosted). It certainly will keep people guessing about who are all these friends of":p

I agree but Oceania doesn't think CC ers make up enough % of the total cruise population ;)

It is the little things that make a difference

Lyn

I am an original member of the old Yahoo board. O used to give us "free" parties (liquor and hors d'oeuvres) if we had 35 participantss but after a few years this opportunity was eliminated. We were told it was because that CC members were complaining.

Mura,

Ah ... the "good old days" ... in many ways! I also helped organize one of those Yahoo board parties back in 2004 on Regatta. Free food and drinks, invites sent out with no complaints, etc.

Patty

I agree but Oceania doesn't think CC ers make up enough % of the total cruise population ;)

It is the little things that make a difference

Lyn

On a recent Celebrity cruise, our CC group of about 60 was treated extremely well. The ship provided food and non alcoholic drinks in a lounge in the morning and the CD showed up and talked and and also thanked all of us. He acknowledged how much "free marketing" (good or bad) we do for them on these boards and said they wanted it to be good. (I am paraphrasing but you get the gist ...) They made us VERY welcome.

On a recent Celebrity cruise, our CC group of about 60 was treated extremely well. The ship provided food and non alcoholic drinks in a lounge in the morning and the CD showed up and talked and and also thanked all of us. He acknowledged how much "free marketing" (good or bad) we do for them on these boards and said they wanted it to be good. (I am paraphrasing but you get the gist ...) They made us VERY welcome.

"The ship provided food and non alcoholic drinks" might not be the best comparison, because if your group met in Horizons, then the food and non-alcoholic drinks would already be gratis on Oceania, anyway. ;)

(I'm not sure if you've sailed Marina yet, but one of the improvements is a permanent,dedicated food & drink alcove ala those in the Concierge and Suite Lounges.)

Pertinent to the importance that Oceania attaches to Cruise Critic, on our recent Marina cruise, the CC group was so large that aside from the Meet and Greet, we arranged for several more intimate cocktail parties.

Bob Binder came to one of those, Tim Rubacky (Director of Communications) attended twice, and the Captain & Mrs. Flokos honored us at a third.

Each was intimately acquainted with Cruise Critic, and was able to quote several of this boards "heavy hitters" very accurately (you know who you are!).

Pertinent to the importance that Oceania attaches to Cruise Critic, on our recent Marina cruise, the CC group was so large that aside from the Meet and Greet, we arranged for several more intimate cocktail parties.

Bob Binder came to one of those, Tim Rubacky (Director of Communications) attended twice, and the Captain & Mrs. Flokos honored us at a third.

Each was intimately acquainted with Cruise Critic, and was able to quote several of this boards "heavy hitters" very accurately (you know who you are!).

Maybe you had better luck because of the VIP's onboard :D

The 3 rd cruise we felt like "ok the hoopla is over, back to normal routines"

There was no Gala Tea on our cruise as there normally is on the longer cruises ...another disappointment:(

Who would those heavy hitters be?? :D:D

Lyn

Archived