What are your favorite diet tricks?

mszpolaris

• 3 weeks later...

- Don't eat on "auto-pilot." Be conscious of every bite you take and savor it!

- Ask for a to-go container in restaurants when your meal arrives. Put half your meal in the container before you start eating so you're not tempted to scarf down the whole thing.

- Brush your teeth after dinner so you're less tempted to have a bedtime snack.

- Eat what you crave, even if you're craving chocolate. If you try to eat a substitute instead, you'll wind up chasing a taste and eating more than if you ate what you REALLY wanted in the first place!

- Try to keep your meals down to fist-size. That's how big your stomach is in its normal, not-stretched-out state.

- Listen for the sigh. As you're eating, be conscious of when your body sighs - that's your body's signal that your stomach is almost full and needs to move up to make more room.

- Be kind to yourself. You wouldn't berate your friend for the occassional diet slip, so why would you do that to yourself?

- Tear up your "Clean Plate" membership card.Leave at least one bite on your plate for your guardian angel, so you can break the habit of cleaning your plate, whether you're still hungry or not.

- Take stairs two or three at a time.

- If you can't go for a brisk walk, march in place. That will get your heart pumping and burn calories too.

- Keep a food journal. I use www.gymjournal.com, but there are a number of free online journals available. Not only will you be more aware of the food and calories you eat, but you'll be less tempted to eat as much if you know you have to log each and every food item.

Mine is mostly mind tricks (can you tell I was trained in behavioral medicine..LOL)

Eat "quality"..eat a small bite of REALLY high quality chocolate instead of a regular candy bar. Eat a fine mini cupcake from a bakery if I want a treat, instead of just some old cupcake I bought at Walmart.

Ask: "Why do I think I need 6 pancakes if the serving size is 2".

When eating junk: "I have the rest of my life to eat this. I don't need to eat it today"

Whatever you eat now, eat the correct portion sizes.

Don't eat 3 hours before bed. If I want snack, I make sure it's under 100 calories.

I eat my main meal for lunch then have the rest of the day to burn it off.

Check sodium content: for physiological reasons the body only needs barely 1000mg a day, not much more than that Most of the frozen diet meals have at least 600 and besides, who wants to put alll the chemical crap in your body?

Even so called "fat free" and "diet" products aren't really that...where they skimp on the fat they make up by adding sugar or sodium. Beter to eat the correct portion size of somethign high quality food.

If you can't pronounce it or don't know what the ingredient is, don't eat it.

You have to take respnsiblity for yourself and can't worry what grandma etc. feels like if her feelings get hurt if you turn down her piece of pie. You can't blame the diet industry. You are the only one who controls what you put in your mouth and you are the only one who made yourself overeat.

We all have 24 hours in a day. Everyone is tired. But you have to be willing to work at it if you want the weight to go off.

This is stuff I learned and kept my weight off and try to live by when I go off the wagon.

I am a personal fitness trainer, I have my wife on an all protein shake. I also put my clients on it temporarily, when they need to lose weight fast.

Is this a commercially available shake or something you have developed?

Is it for each meal or just one or two? How long do you suggest being on this routine and how much weight loss( ballpark) could one expect doing this?

Is it for each meal or just one or two? How long do you suggest being on this routine and how much weight loss( ballpark) could one expect doing this?

Greetings, the protein shake that I like is BSN Syntha-6, it has 13g of carbs. So, you are getting carbs. My wife is 5'11" and 170lbs, she wanted to loose 20 lbs before our April 2, 2011 cruise. She started on February 25, 2011 when we booked our cruise, she is down 17lbs. She eats a solid breakfast in the morning (you should always front load you calories), handful of mix nuts round 10am, protein shake for lunch, a good sized apple or orange around 3pm, protein shake for dinner around 6pm, and a protein shake before bed. I get her up at 5am to train and she gets a protein shake within 30 mins of waking to start revving up the metabolism. Just as an aside I felt bad eating in front of her so I joined her on an all protein shake diet until the end of the month. I started on March 15 and I have dropped 5 lbs in 4 days. I will be shredded for the cruise. I write a weekly newsletter for my clients, so I don't mind answering any questions that you may have.

I didn't answer your questions:p You can lose 20lbs in a month easy, and I only recommend 4-6 weeks. Then you should be my 6 meals per day lifestyle consuming foods from the super food list. You can Google super foods to see what they are.

• 2 weeks later...
Greetings, the protein shake that I like is BSN Syntha-6, it has 13g of carbs. So, you are getting carbs. My wife is 5'11" and 170lbs, she wanted to loose 20 lbs before our April 2, 2011 cruise. She started on February 25, 2011 when we booked our cruise, she is down 17lbs. She eats a solid breakfast in the morning (you should always front load you calories), handful of mix nuts round 10am, protein shake for lunch, a good sized apple or orange around 3pm, protein shake for dinner around 6pm, and a protein shake before bed. I get her up at 5am to train and she gets a protein shake within 30 mins of waking to start revving up the metabolism. Just as an aside I felt bad eating in front of her so I joined her on an all protein shake diet until the end of the month. I started on March 15 and I have dropped 5 lbs in 4 days. I will be shredded for the cruise. I write a weekly newsletter for my clients, so I don't mind answering any questions that you may have.

I currently weight 137 and would like to be 115 by cruise time (end of June). I like the protein shake idea to help get me started. What would you recommend my day look like to achieve my goal. If I can lose the weigh by May, I would be even happier. Gotta buy my dresses soon! Thanks for sharing with us. :D

I know your on your cruise and I hope you are really enjoying your selves!! Hopefully you will check back on here when you return..

My question is where is the best place to purchase the protein shake? Does it actually taste decent? What is a typical breakfast?

I'm not an avid exerciser but if motivated (which I am as I got on the scale this am:eek:) I do walking videos usually anywhere from 2 -5 miles a day. It looks like it's best to do this in the am?? Do you have your shake before or after.

I do much better on diets if I have a regimented program of meals. I am 5' 7.5 and weight about 160, need to get back to 140.. I dont cruise again til August but have something coming up in May.

Thanks for your help!

Archived