Damaged item in luggage being denied compensation

Jazul

I can't even begin to imagine the delays & problems that would occur if a cruise line attempted to check in luggage the same way the airlines do!! :eek: For the most part, it appears the cruise lines handle lost luggage issues reasonably well. I've never heard anyone complain that the cruise line intimated they were lying about lost luggage. In most cases, passengers are provided some personal hygiene products & clothing while waiting for the cruise line to locate their luggage.

I couldn't imagine 6000 passengers on a cruise ship, or many other things they do now, as well. And they seemed to have figured that out ok.

Improving the baggage handling system would add another layer of consumer protection, but that's not as easy to sell as a rock wall or an open-air park on a ship. They probably see it as an investment with little return to their bottom line.

I'm sure the porters we currently tip would also have something to say about having to be accountable: right now they throw your luggage on a cart or even just take the tip and leave the luggage where you set it down ('someone will be here to get it!') and walk away. That's much easier, I agree, but it doesn't help you as a consumer.

The only problem with putting it in a carry on is that TSA can confiscate if they feel the need. It's one of those questionable items so you would be taking a big chance. Of course, I'm referring to flying. If you aren't then yes, it could go into the bag for boarding the ship and I would hope they wouldn't confiscate it..one never knows.

FTR: I own a Chi iron that I've had for 5 years, it was around $120. If it were me, I would file a claim. They aren't cheap at all and even more now I'm sure.

best of luck to the OP..

I just did a check on the TSA site and curling irons/hair straighteners are not on the prohibited TSA list when packed in carry on luggage. If the item is that expensive and fragile, I would have not packed it in my checked luggage.

If the luggage itself was not damaged, it would be helpful to know excactly what happened to the flat iron.

It sounds like they may have dropped them while checking them out if the luggage wasnt damaged. They are not so fragile to break from just being in the luggage IMO. But there will be no proof.

I can't even begin to imagine the delays & problems that would occur if a cruise line attempted to check in luggage the same way the airlines do!! :eek:

The reason that people get called to the "naughty room" is because every piece of luggage that is handed off to the porters goes through the same type of x-ray machine after it enters the ship as it does when you check your bag at the airport.

Your carry on goes through a smaller x-ray.

I don't think the issue is how the item got damaged. RC is denying the claim because they said that their damage reimbursement policy doesn't include "electronic" or "electric" items.

Also, if they start prohibiting curling and flat irons, they are going to have some pretty irrate passengers. My hair is very frizzy and it looks horrible if I don't flat iron it. I wouldn't even consider going on a cruise if they told me I could not bring my flat iron. If they are fire hazards, then wouldn't a lighted cigarette also be considered a fire hazard? :confused:

The only problem with putting it in a carry on is that TSA can confiscate if they feel the need. It's one of those questionable items so you would be taking a big chance. Of course, I'm referring to flying. If you aren't then yes, it could go into the bag for boarding the ship and I would hope they wouldn't confiscate it..one never knows.

FTR: I own a Chi iron that I've had for 5 years, it was around $120. If it were me, I would file a claim. They aren't cheap at all and even more now I'm sure.

best of luck to the OP..

There are normally a few items we pack on top in our checked luggage that we transfer to carry-on before we hand the bags to the cruise line.

Has anyone dealt with the claims department regarding an item in your luggage that was damaged? I just returned from the Freedom of the Seas last week and when my luggage was delivered to the stateroom, my HAIR flat iron was broken. Of note, the luggage itself was not damaged. When I called Guest Relations to inquire about it, they must have thought I had an IRON and said they needed to send Security to confiscate it. Upon Security's arrival, he told us it wasn't something he needed to confiscate. I filled out a Claims form and they told me they couldn't do anything on the ship and I could call the 800 number when I got home. Now I am being told that the item was prohibited, even though the representative told me she didn't specifically see it listed as a prohibited item, because it is a fire hazard. I told her I have approximately 20 cruises with RCI and have never been told it shouldn't be allowed when boarding. Also, she told me it was an "electronic" item and, therefore, wouldn't be considered for claims purposes. When I advised her it was an "electric" item and not an "electronic" item, she said it was the same thing. I left a message for a supervisor 2 days ago and, of course, have not received a return call. Anyone have any suggestions/input on this matter? The only reason I think I am being given the run-around is because I had a similar thing happen on a Princess cruise (looked like they stuck a fork from the fork lift through our luggage) and they didn't have a problem with reimbursing the damaged item(s).
First of all why the claim with RCI? Hoe do you know it wasn't damaged by the airline??? And honestly IMHO s--- happens I'd just buy another one at Target for 24.99;) Just the time and effort it would take to file a claim and with whom? The airline, the cruise line? If it was in your checked luggage you don't really know I guess. Not worth the aggro IMHO

best of luck to the OP..

I totally, but respectfully disagree with your statement. I have put my flat iron in my carry-on many times and never, ever had a problem. They've never even pulled my bag to the side to look in it after it goes through the machine.

Also, there is nothing on the TSA sight stating these are unacceptable in carry-ons. Not sure why you think they can take it, but they don't.

If Royal Caribbean's luggage policy is the same as airlines and subject to the same federal guidelines as the airlines, then electronics are NOT covered.

"E. The declared excess valuation for baggage shall not exceed One Thousand Two Hundred and Fifty Dollars ($1,250.00) above the Three Thousand Three Hundred Dollar ($3,300.00) limitation of Carrier's liability established by this Contract of Carriage, for a total maximum declared valuation of Four Thousand Five Hundred and Fifty Dollars ($4,550.00). Excess valuation coverage is not available for money; jewelry; photographic, video, and optical equipment; computers and other electronic equipment; computer software; silverware and china; fragile or perishable items; liquids; precious gems and metals; negotiable papers; securities; business or personal documents; samples; items intended for sale; paintings, artifacts, and other works of art; antiques; collectors’ items; unique or irreplaceable items; heirlooms; research, experimental, and scholastic items and documents; manuscripts; furs; irreplaceable books or publications; and similar valuables.

G. Carrier assumes no responsibility and will not be liable for money; jewelry; photographic, video, and optical equipment; computers and other electronic equipment; computer software; silverware and china; fragile or perishable items; liquids; precious gems and metals; negotiable papers; securities; business or personal documents; samples; items intended for sale; paintings, artifacts, and other works of art; antiques; collectors’ items; unique or irreplaceable items; heirlooms; research, experimental, and scholastic items and documents; manuscripts; furs; irreplaceable books or publications; and similar valuables contained in checked or unchecked baggage. For the passenger’s protection, these items should not be transported in or as checked baggage."

I'm very sorry for your lost; however, the cruise line is not responsible for damage items place in your checked luggage. The cruise lines expects you to have adequate travel insurance to cover lost, stolen or damage items and to make the claim against your travel insurer. In some cases your home owners policy might also cover this damage less any deductible. The problem is you have no physical proof that it was the cruise line actually damaged your flat iron and that's why the cruise line is jerking you around. It could also have also been damaged in transit by the porters at the pier who are not employed by the cruise line, but by the port itself or a sub contractor. We just don't know. I can only see that the cruise line being responsible if the entire or most of the bag was destroyed including the contents while in transit to your cabin. It would have to be an extreme case. What ever the case anything that can break or of value (electronic items, camera, etc) should always be place in your carry on luggage and be with you at all times. By placing it in the checked luggage you are taking on the risk yourself. Just go out and buy a new flat iron and be done with it.

If Royal Caribbean's luggage policy is the same as airlines and subject to the same federal guidelines as the airlines, then electronics are NOT covered.

"E. The declared excess valuation for baggage shall not exceed One Thousand Two Hundred and Fifty Dollars ($1,250.00) above the Three Thousand Three Hundred Dollar ($3,300.00) limitation of Carrier's liability established by this Contract of Carriage, for a total maximum declared valuation of Four Thousand Five Hundred and Fifty Dollars ($4,550.00). Excess valuation coverage is not available for money; jewelry; photographic, video, and optical equipment; computers and other electronic equipment; computer software; silverware and china; fragile or perishable items; liquids; precious gems and metals; negotiable papers; securities; business or personal documents; samples; items intended for sale; paintings, artifacts, and other works of art; antiques; collectors’ items; unique or irreplaceable items; heirlooms; research, experimental, and scholastic items and documents; manuscripts; furs; irreplaceable books or publications; and similar valuables.

G. Carrier assumes no responsibility and will not be liable for money; jewelry; photographic, video, and optical equipment; computers and other electronic equipment; computer software; silverware and china; fragile or perishable items; liquids; precious gems and metals; negotiable papers; securities; business or personal documents; samples; items intended for sale; paintings, artifacts, and other works of art; antiques; collectors’ items; unique or irreplaceable items; heirlooms; research, experimental, and scholastic items and documents; manuscripts; furs; irreplaceable books or publications; and similar valuables contained in checked or unchecked baggage. For the passenger’s protection, these items should not be transported in or as checked baggage."

I don't think the question is whether RCI covers electronic equipment, it's whether RCI considers everything that has a plug, or uses a battery, to be covered by the disclaimer. If so, the disclaimer should say electrical devices not electronic equipment. A simple flashlight, blow dryer, curling iron, etc. is not really electronic equipment, it's an electrical device.

I can't even begin to imagine the delays & problems that would occur if a cruise line attempted to check in luggage the same way the airlines do!! :eek: For the most part, it appears the cruise lines handle lost luggage issues reasonably well. I've never heard anyone complain that the cruise line intimated they were lying about lost luggage. In most cases, passengers are provided some personal hygiene products & clothing while waiting for the cruise line to locate their luggage.

With no damage to the suitcase, there’s no reason for the cruise line, airline, or anyone else who may have handled the luggage to assume responsibility for damage to an item inside.

They already do attempt to check in luggage that way, and they are far less efficient than the airlines - when was the last time you saw a skycap filling out a luggage tag by hand?

It would take an investment in machines capable of printing out tags at the pier. And they could change the software on the tags we order - provide a bar code with the passengers' name & address, cabin number. Easy, if you have a capable IT department. Oh, wait...:p

I have a CHI flat iron, which I paid $160 for a few years ago. This is packed in my carry-on luggage in-between all of my clothing for padded protection. Then I give to the porters at the port, since I really don't want to walk around with luggage until the cabins are ready. I've NEVER had a problem with it. I'm curious to know in what way it's broken. Snap in half, won't turn on, plates broke off... Either way, if RCI is denying the claim, then you can try your travel insurance (as others have suggested). Truthfully, I would just chalk it up as a loss and buy a new one. Lesson here...maybe carry it with you from now on.

To those who were kind enough to respond and had questions, sorry I haven't been able to check back as I had to get caught up on my work. I never did hear back from the supervisor, but placed another call this morning, and am again awaiting a call back. The flat iron is a CHI, which is at least $150 + tax. If you get lucky and have time to watch the sales, sometimes you might be able to purchase one for close to $100. To those of you unfamiliar with hair irons, some can run upwards of $300+. We drove to Florida and stayed the night in a hotel in Port Canaveral, so we did not use an airline, and I know for a fact that there was nothing wrong with the product before dropping it at the port. But can I prove this? Of course not. The damage was due to the hot plate (on one side) coming apart from the base of the iron, so it wasn't "broken in half", but flopping around and not able to be reattached; therefore, useless because you can't squeeze the hair between the hot plates. My husband always packs this item in our luggage carefully, with t-shirts wrapped around it, etc. and sometimes sticks it down in a boot, so it wasn't broken due to negligent packing and, as I stated previously, we have been on many cruises and this was never an issue so I never thought to personally carry it with me on board as I would my much more expensive jewelry. If it was simply a $20 item then I wouldn't bother, but it is expensive (in my opinion) and, whether I get reimbursed or not, I have definitely learned a lesson to not pack it in the checked baggage. We have had both of our luggages returned to us with missing handles and I know how luggage gets thrown around and disagree that there has to be physical damage to my luggage as proof that something could have been damaged inside, but thank you for all your comments. I appreciate those of you that kept on topic regarding whether you think it would classify as an "electronic" or "electric" item and whether or not it should be prohibited due to fire hazard. And I did indicate to the original representative I spoke to that smoking was a fire hazard also, as a Princess ship found out the hard way, but they still allow it on their balconies, but that's another matter entirely.

I would call them every day until you get the answer you want..

I still think it's unlikely to get her anywhere, if there is no evidence of mishandling of the luggage. Luggage is not handled delicately in any case, so I don't doubt that the item could have been damaged during transport, but it doesn't seem that there was any damage to the luggage itself, so no sign that it was really mis-handled.

Maybe it was; maybe the item was about ready to break, anyway, and some "normal" bump in the process of luggage handling caused it to do so. I just don't think they will, nor should they be expected to, replace everything that a customer says is broken, even if there is no clear evidence that they broke broke it.

I feel your pain about having the CHI damaged. I pack mine in the checked luggage most of the time- but my concerns are more about it being stolen, but by this time- most flat iron thiefs will already have garnered enough to satisfy their silky-haired needs- that, and the CHI market is saturated.

One of my good CHI brushes had the handle snapped off it by rough bag handling. Tried to use it without the handle, frugal gal that I am- but gave up and replaced it. Now, I'm very careful how I pack these things- placing them in a large zip lock bag, sealed with an air bubble inside, and tucked away from the edges of the bag. I personally, would not seek damages for your particular loss, as it would be tricky to prove anything without damage also to the suitcase. I wonder if Farouk might not be able to help you though. They have a reputation for backing their product. I AM sorry for your loss. A good quality flat iron saves me a LOT of time over the course of its lifetime, which equates to money.

To those who were kind enough to respond and had questions, sorry I haven't been able to check back as I had to get caught up on my work. I never did hear back from the supervisor, but placed another call this morning, and am again awaiting a call back. The flat iron is a CHI, which is at least $150 + tax. If you get lucky and have time to watch the sales, sometimes you might be able to purchase one for close to $100. To those of you unfamiliar with hair irons, some can run upwards of $300+. We drove to Florida and stayed the night in a hotel in Port Canaveral, so we did not use an airline, and I know for a fact that there was nothing wrong with the product before dropping it at the port. But can I prove this? Of course not. The damage was due to the hot plate (on one side) coming apart from the base of the iron, so it wasn't "broken in half", but flopping around and not able to be reattached; therefore, useless because you can't squeeze the hair between the hot plates. My husband always packs this item in our luggage carefully, with t-shirts wrapped around it, etc. and sometimes sticks it down in a boot, so it wasn't broken due to negligent packing and, as I stated previously, we have been on many cruises and this was never an issue so I never thought to personally carry it with me on board as I would my much more expensive jewelry. If it was simply a $20 item then I wouldn't bother, but it is expensive (in my opinion) and, whether I get reimbursed or not, I have definitely learned a lesson to not pack it in the checked baggage. We have had both of our luggages returned to us with missing handles and I know how luggage gets thrown around and disagree that there has to be physical damage to my luggage as proof that something could have been damaged inside, but thank you for all your comments. I appreciate those of you that kept on topic regarding whether you think it would classify as an "electronic" or "electric" item and whether or not it should be prohibited due to fire hazard. And I did indicate to the original representative I spoke to that smoking was a fire hazard also, as a Princess ship found out the hard way, but they still allow it on their balconies, but that's another matter entirely.
Sounds like it was packed pretty well. Things do break sometimes even absent any misuse/negligent handling.

I am always amazed at how easy it is for some people to spend other peoples money. I am certain that cruiselines appreciate this advice for how they spend the shareholders money. Lucky you, you don't have to work in their management team to direct their efforts.

Good grief

JC

Dear friends:

I am sorry your item was damaged and I do hope that, at least as a matter of goodwill, the cruise line follows through.

However, has anybody on Cruise Critic ever realized how unprotected we all are when we either check our luggage in with the porters at the pier or place our luggage outside our room on the last night?

We fill out baggage tags -- but those baggage tags are just for identification purposes (name and cabin number). Those baggage tags have no serial numbers, no bar codes, nothing of the sort -- the cruise line doesn't even keep half the tag so that we can prove we gave our luggage to the cruise line.

When you check your luggage with an airline, your baggage receipt has a serial number to show that it was entered into the airline's computer system and can be traced. That is not done with a cruise line.

What if you check in 6 pieces of luggage at the pier (or leave them outside your door on the last night) and they don't appear? There is no proof that the passenger actually checked the luggage with the cruise line, which is the first excuse for the cruise line to deny responsibility.

In the age of cellphones, small digital cameras, etc., we always take a photo of our luggage with the porter at the pier, and then always take another photo of our luggage outside of our room the last night. At least that's something of proof in case our luggage gets lost.

I just think in these days where ships can hold up to 6,000 passengers, the whole system of baggage checking and tracing should be brought up to date and a system similar to the airlines should be implemented.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

It seems to me that barring any obvious damage to your suitcase, maybe there was a problem with the iron. I don't know how old the iron is, but I'd contact Farouk/Chi and see if it is covered at all by warranty or good will. I had an expensive T3 blow dryer that broke right around a year and when I called them they sent me a new one. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Has anyone dealt with the claims department regarding an item in your luggage that was damaged? I just returned from the Freedom of the Seas last week and when my luggage was delivered to the stateroom, my HAIR flat iron was broken. Of note, the luggage itself was not damaged. When I called Guest Relations to inquire about it, they must have thought I had an IRON and said they needed to send Security to confiscate it. Upon Security's arrival, he told us it wasn't something he needed to confiscate. I filled out a Claims form and they told me they couldn't do anything on the ship and I could call the 800 number when I got home. Now I am being told that the item was prohibited, even though the representative told me she didn't specifically see it listed as a prohibited item, because it is a fire hazard. I told her I have approximately 20 cruises with RCI and have never been told it shouldn't be allowed when boarding. Also, she told me it was an "electronic" item and, therefore, wouldn't be considered for claims purposes. When I advised her it was an "electric" item and not an "electronic" item, she said it was the same thing. I left a message for a supervisor 2 days ago and, of course, have not received a return call. Anyone have any suggestions/input on this matter? The only reason I think I am being given the run-around is because I had a similar thing happen on a Princess cruise (looked like they stuck a fork from the fork lift through our luggage) and they didn't have a problem with reimbursing the damaged item(s).

Another couple we traveled with last year on the Seranade had the same thing happen. They got their luggage and her flat iron was broke. They filled out a claim just as you did, and they paid the replacement cost of almost $100. They had no problems.

I totally, but respectfully disagree with your statement. I have put my flat iron in my carry-on many times and never, ever had a problem. They've never even pulled my bag to the side to look in it after it goes through the machine.

Also, there is nothing on the TSA sight stating these are unacceptable in carry-ons. Not sure why you think they can take it, but they don't.

Although not prohibited, they are a red flag. My carry-on used to be searched every time we flew. I finally realized that it was my hair straightener (don't call it an iron and maybe you will get someplace with RCCL. :D) and they were checking my bag because they thought it looked like a weapon. :rolleyes: As much as I hated to, I now carefully pack my straightener in my checked luggage. It's a CHI.

If they are denying you compensation with the excuse it's prohibited, I would make them show you in writing where flat irons are prohibited.

Don't do that! :eek: I am already afraid that flat irons are going to be prohibited . :( Hope RCCL doesn't see this thread and get any ideas.

Also, if they start prohibiting curling and flat irons, they are going to have some pretty irrate passengers. My hair is very frizzy and it looks horrible if I don't flat iron it. I wouldn't even consider going on a cruise if they told me I could not bring my flat iron.

Amen to that, sister! :D I need my straightener, while on the sea, more than any other place.

Archived