Cruise Terminology Questions

LordWinston

Hello Cunard Cruisers!

I consider y'all the most informed when it comes to sailing the high seas. I'm working on a story right now and have a few questions maybe some of you can answer:

a) When a ship is about to leave port (Southampton, let's say) -- what are the commands the captain calls out on the intercom for the crew and passengers?

b) What are the walkways that extend out from the bridge on the port and starboard sides? -- sometimes they are outdoor walkways on old ocean liners but on new ships they are enclosed.

c) What is the difference between a captain and a commodore?

Thanks! -- Alan :)

Can't answer a). In the U.S.N. it was "Now go to your stations all the special sea and anchor detail." When I was master on merchant ships I passed "Prepare to get underway." We had no passengers. b) Extensions from the bridge are called wings. c) Both commodores and captains in the merchant marine have the same licenses - unlimited, any oceans. Commodores are chosen by a particular company to have seniority over other masters in the same company, usually by virtue of their time with the company, their performance, their character, and so forth.

Regards, Jon.

a) When a ship is about to leave port (Southampton, let's say) -- what are the commands the captain calls out on the intercom for the crew and passengers?

All ashore that's going ashore followed by row faster.

b) What are the walkways that extend out from the bridge on the port and starboard sides? -- sometimes they are outdoor walkways on old ocean liners but on new ships they are enclosed.

Bridge wings. Usually enclosed on modern ships to protect electronic equipment.

Commodore is an honorary title. Cunard sometimes give the most senior captain the title of commodore. The working day of a captain and commodore are probably identical.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Whilst Stephen is trying (to be helpful), these days no commands are issued over the tannoys, it is all done by walkie talkie. The commands include singling up lines and probably cast off, although they don't because the lines are handled by shore staff on the dockside who lift the slackened lines from the bollards to which they are fastened and then they drop them into the water where they are winched up into the bowels of the ship. The bow and stern thrusters then push the ship away from the dock and off we go. simple really and not so exciting as it was in the old days of steam and sail, but there are no press gangs nowadays either; so it is not all bad news.

It is also advisable to let the engineers know that the ship is preparing to get underway. When my chief engineer father started working in the engineroom, bells were rung to let the engineers know what the pilots wanted, and the "ready whistle" was blown to let the pilot know the engineroom crew was standing by.

Hello Cunard Cruisers!

I consider y'all the most informed when it comes to sailing the high seas. I'm working on a story right now and have a few questions maybe some of you can answer:

Hi Alan, you've received responsible responses, so I hope you don't mind a bit of levity in answer to your questions:

A). I've never heard any Captain on QM2 call out any orders over the intercom when leaving any port - but I always listened for that great horn sound followed by DIVE! DIVE!

B). The walkways are called tourist traps.

C). The difference between a Captain and a Commodore is a beard/mustashe and about an additional $250,000 per year in speaking fees after retirement.

Cheers :D -S

Hello Cunard Cruisers!

a) "Hoist the mainsail!! spoken over the voice trumpet

c) Age

DON

I found the following rather authoritative sounding phrases on a web site for a mariner's school in Croatia, intended to teach Mariner's English (sort of like Waiter's English, only wetter):

Stand by engine(s).

- Engine(s) standing by.

Are you ready to get underway?

- Yes, ready (to get underway).

- No, not ready (yet) (to get underway).

- Ready to get underway in ... minutes.

Stand by for let go.

- Standing by for let go.

Single up ... lines and... spring fore and aft.

Slack away head/stern/breast line.

Slack away fore/aft spring.

Hold on head/ atern/ breast line.

Hold on fore/aft spring.

Heave on head/ stern/breast line.

Heave on fore/aft spring.

Let go everything forward/aft.

Let go head/stern/breast line.

Let go fore/aft spring.

Let go tug line.

- ... is/are let go.

Archived