Sea-sick tips????

queenbnpimpc

anyone have any tips or adivce on how not to get sea sick or how to avoid it? my first cruise i was fine until i stepped off the boat, then i felt like i was rocking for 3 days after.

husband was a lil sick off and on while on the cruise. only once he had to go to the room to lye down.

anyone know any tricks besides the patches or pills?

anyone have any tips or adivce on how not to get sea sick or how to avoid it? my first cruise i was fine until i stepped off the boat, then i felt like i was rocking for 3 days after.

husband was a lil sick off and on while on the cruise. only once he had to go to the room to lye down.

I swear by the Sea Bands. They just trigger the pressure points on your wrists. I have inner ear problems and have never gotten sea sick while wearing them. I wear them on airplanes, busses & ships. Put them on about 1 hour before you board. That's my solution! Enjoy your cruise!:D

I start taking Ginger Root tabs a couple days before we sail, and continue for a couple days into cruise just to be sure. I haven't gotten sick so far.

I have used the bands before too, and they worked, but felt very tight on me...maybe I just have "thick" wrists. lol

If you haven't book your cabin categories & location (or can get it changed at no charge) - stay on the lower deck, mid-ship as it tend to be less up & down and sideway motion. Keeping those curtains closed to limit looking out the windows with the changing sea levels also help, and try green apples (or other fruits that are green & acid) and ginger ale, saltine crackers to ease the upset stomach were other tricks offered by the crew.

The cabin type - inside cabin adds to sea sickness, you need at least a window.

The cabin location - lower middle is where you feel less motion.

Meds: start taking giner the day before (talk to the doctor if you take blood thinners, even aspirin) and continue for 3 days after the cruise to avoid "sea legs" - this is an herb, no harm done.

If the sea is rough and you feel sick, Bonine (meclizine) has less side effects compare to Dramamine.

There are almost as many remedies as there are posters on these forums and what works for one person, often doesn't work for another, so it makes sense to experiment when not on a cruise until you find what works for you.

I am very prone to motion sickness. As a child, they always had to stop by the side of the road for me. As an adult, I have stayed off small boats, taken a seat in the front of vehicles if possible, even avoided watching animals and people going in circles at the circus and people on swings (yes, that bad!).

Years ago a friend told me that, although a good sailor, she had gotten nauseous on a safari (all that bumping around in a 4x4 (and I have always avoided them, too!) and someone had recommended an OTC called Marezine (active ingredient -cyclizine). I've been using it ever since and even got through our brush with Hurricane Earl last September on the Summit without needing to eat one of the green apples, which were out at Guest Services (that's how you know it's more than a little rough!) or paying a visit to the doctor. On that sailing, we skipped a port, attempted to sail around the hurricane only to find it had veered East, and were five hours late getting back to Bayonne. The seas were rough enough to toss both flower arrangements and the fruit basket around in our cabin, some elevators and deck areas were closed off, and it stayed quite turbulent for almost 24 hours.

Normally I take one pill before sailing and then one pill each evening before dinner (as a precaution). If the seas are rough, I take a second one in the morning or sometimes if I'm going on an excursion or tender ride, chew on some ginger candy or pop some ginger capsules. (Yes, I carry an arsenal of ginger items, marezine and bonine, just in case!) Note: Do not take this if you are pregnant or using scopalamine and be sure to consult with your doctor regarding other drugs with which it could interact. I've never had any side effects and although I worried a great deal about seasickness before my first adult cruise, I have been fine for the 30 I've taken since. On my first cruise on the Ocean Monarch, taken when I was 5, my grandmother gave me dramamine, which I still take sometimes for overnight flights when I want to fall asleep. That works, too, but I don't like that drowsy feeling.

My DW tends to have motion sickness and has used the patch and bonine. We also take ginger. Great tip on the green apples.

Tip for the patch. It is a one size fits all approach and my DW if fairly small. She very carefully cut one in half and it made her mouth much less dry. No signs of fatigue. Cabin location midship lower deck is also a good preventative measure for sleeping.

There are almost as many remedies as there are posters on these forums and what works for one person, often doesn't work for another, so it makes sense to experiment when not on a cruise until you find what works for you.

I am very prone to motion sickness. As a child, they always had to stop by the side of the road for me. As an adult, I have stayed off small boats, taken a seat in the front of vehicles if possible, even avoided watching animals and people going in circles at the circus and people on swings (yes, that bad!).

Years ago a friend told me that, although a good sailor, she had gotten nauseous on a safari (all that bumping around in a 4x4 (and I have always avoided them, too!) and someone had recommended an OTC called Marezine (active ingredient -cyclizine). I've been using it ever since and even got through our brush with Hurricane Earl last September on the Summit without needing to eat one of the green apples, which were out at Guest Services (that's how you know it's more than a little rough!) or paying a visit to the doctor. On that sailing, we skipped a port, attempted to sail around the hurricane only to find it had veered East, and were five hours late getting back to Bayonne. The seas were rough enough to toss both flower arrangements and the fruit basket around in our cabin, some elevators and deck areas were closed off, and it stayed quite turbulent for almost 24 hours.

Normally I take one pill before sailing and then one pill each evening before dinner (as a precaution). If the seas are rough, I take a second one in the morning or sometimes if I'm going on an excursion or tender ride, chew on some ginger candy or pop some ginger capsules. (Yes, I carry an arsenal of ginger items, marezine and bonine, just in case!) Note: Do not take this if you are pregnant or using scopalamine and be sure to consult with your doctor regarding other drugs with which it could interact. I've never had any side effects and although I worried a great deal about seasickness before my first adult cruise, I have been fine for the 30 I've taken since. On my first cruise on the Ocean Monarch, taken when I was 5, my grandmother gave me dramamine, which I still take sometimes for overnight flights when I want to fall asleep. That works, too, but I don't like that drowsy feeling.

//I am very prone to motion sickness. As a child, they always had to stop by the side of the road for me. As an adult, I have stayed off small boats, taken a seat in the front of vehicles if possible, even avoided watching animals and people going in circles at the circus and people on swings (yes, that bad!). //

Are we twins?

Take ginger capsules, chew ginger gum, drink ginger ale, eat ginger candy.

If the buffet has green apples, those will help.

So will saltine crackers. In fact salty anything will help.

Of course there are drugs that work. However there are a few other things that help.

Eat many small meals. Nothing worse than dry heaves.

Don't book an inside cabin! Any time you feel an on set, you need to look out at the horizon. Balcony is best, but a window will work.

Book on larger ships, and pick a cabin mid ship.

Solutions or remedies that work for one person might or might not work for someone else. When we're on the smaller NCL Crown (since taken out of the lineup) out to the Bermuda high seas with 15+ ft. waves, DW started getting really serious motion issues and looking out our windows or sitting in the dining room made matters worst.

We retreated again back to the cabin and ordered room service + ginger ale, our nice Room Steward managed to find some saltine crackers and one Bonine later plus resting did the trick - we eventually rode out the worst part of the approaching storm & reached St. George & docked.

Another solution that might be available on some (all ??) of the NCL ships is acupuncture treatment for seasickness, priced at $75 per treatment (as advertised on the Jewel this month, also read about it on the Star) - arranged as part of the Bora Bora Spa services - said to the clinically proven to work (ok, money back guarantee wasn't mentioned at all - LOL, one can always ask about it) DW recalled from the family doc. trained in both east/west medicine that there are acu-pressure points on the hand that can ease the motion sickness.

By staying low, mid-ship meant no buffet for meals - so it's time to get to know the Room Service Menu, LOL or stumble :p to the Blue Lagoon for comfort food - and, ask them about more Green Apples ....

I swear by the Sea Bands. They just trigger the pressure points on your wrists. I have inner ear problems and have never gotten sea sick while wearing them. I wear them on airplanes, busses & ships. Put them on about 1 hour before you board. That's my solution! Enjoy your cruise!:D

Sea Bands are wonderful. You can buy them at Walmart for about $7. The ships usually sell them also but they cost a lot more. In a pinch, you can use a dime and a rubber band and wear exactly like the Sea bands.

Also, there is a great little natural herbal oil (sold next to the Sea Bands at Walmart). Rub a few drops behind your ears.

Ginger ale, ginger cookies, crystallized ginger, anything with ginger in it, will help + plus green apples.

Lots of good suggestions posted! I also find fresh air helps... another reason to book a balcony.

Medtech - I don't think we are twins, but we should check on the Roll Calls and if we run into each other on a cruise, we can pursue the question in more detail. I did get to know a woman on my AMA Waterways Cruise because she also had motion problems. Because we were on a river ship on the Danube, there were no motion issues on the ship and I didn't take my pills, but when we had to do a bus tour, the two of us were always lined up first in an effort to sit in the front.

thanks for all the tips. im going look for ginger pills today. i do have the bands already and i DO NOT like the side effects of the patches. very very dry mouth. my husband didn't have it bad enough where he was throwing up but enough to make him go lay down. where is the bonine sold at if anyone knows?

thanks for all the tips. im going look for ginger pills today. i do have the bands already and i DO NOT like the side effects of the patches. very very dry mouth. my husband didn't have it bad enough where he was throwing up but enough to make him go lay down. where is the bonine sold at if anyone knows?

Bonine is sold at almost all drug stores.

Bonine is sold everywhere over-the-counter medicine is sold. Any pharmacy. Generic name is "meclezine" - same, just cheaper.

Bonine helps me sleep, yes, but it doesn't knock me out for a whole day! And doesn't give me the unpleasant side effects Dramamine does - but this may be only my body's reaction.

Archived