Review of post-cruise stay at Hilton Moorea Resort

artbcpa

We just returned home from a 4-night post-cruise stay at the Moorea Hilton Lagoon Resort & Spa (formerly managed by Sheraton). When we were choosing which resort and over water bungalows to stay at, we read numerous reviews and talked with more than a dozen people who had previously been to French Polynesia. The overwhelming majority told us that the Hilton Moorea was the best combination of price and quality. Normally there is a wide variation for the "best" of anything; so we were surprised that we received such a high degree of support for the Hilton.

For the most part we were not disappointed.

The highlights:

The morning breakfast buffet - every bit as good as anything on the Paul Gauguin - the variety, the quality, and the view were all outstanding. Since food is so pricey in French Polynesia, we were able to limit our need for a big lunch.

The tropical fish - We were told that the quantity and quality of viewing sea life was superb. I heartily agree. I own a 150 gallon salt water aquarium; so seeing these fish in the wild was a real trip for me. What was really a surprise was the quality of the snorkeling from the beach. As much as we enjoyed our over water bungalow, there were just as many fish (maybe more) that we viewed right from the beach. Take a few pieces of fish food around any of the rocks or coral and you will be surrounded by some of the most beautiful fish you have ever seen - parrotfish, triggers, butterflies, angelfish, forcepfish, wrasses, tangs, etc. etc. etc. At night sharks hung around the bar near the overwater huts. WOW!!!

The views - While other resorts have equally impressive views (most notably the Sofitel in Moorea), the lagoon at the Hilton is exquisite and the sunrises and sunsets breathtaking.

The freshwater pool - I know this is probably heresy, but I prefer freshwater over salt. The freshwater pool at the Hilton was warm, clean, large, and just perfect for me- what do you want I am originally from Miami. Every afternoon when the wind kicked up making snorkeling less desirable, we relaxed by the pool, never feeling overcrowded or having to dodge dozens of screaming kids.

The activities - We participated and enjoyed many of the activities at the Hilton including the kayaking, the tennis, the fitness center, and the gardens all are free. There are also other activities available for a small fee.

Other comments - We didn't try all of the restaurants; so we can't comment on each of them. But our limited experiences were positive, though a little expensive.

I have to make special note of the tennis courts. I am not sure of exactly their composition but they were some of the best courts we have ever played on. It looked and felt like some kind of artificial clay. The front desk also had tennis racquets and balls we could borrow, which were of very high quality.

The most clearly negative comment we would give would be about their service - very inconsistent. Some was very good, but other times it was quite poor. Check-in was a disaster. Perhaps the clerk was new as she kept having to ask her supervisor for assistance. We were told the room would be ready at a certain time. It wasn't. We finally had to "strongly" suggest that they should give us another room.

While in Moorea we did rent a car and visited several of the other hotels. I would not put the Pearl in its class. The Sofitel has a beautiful lagoon and upgraded over water bugalow suites which were significantly larger than anything else we had seen. We did not get to the Intercontinental in Moorea and Legends was closed.

Overall, I would highly recommend staying at the Hilton. As much as we enjoyed the over water bungalows, if price is an important factor, you will fully enjoy your stay in a garden hut.

Did you disembark from the ship in Moorea? What type of transportation did you use to return to Papeete for your flight? Thank you for all your posts I have enjoyed reading them.

Yes, we took an independent tour of Moorea while the ship was there. We were extremely lucky as we met this taxi driver named Teva who was born in the US, but has lived in Moorea for 25 years. He spoke perfect Emglish and had a great sense of humor.

I wish I could tell you how to reach him, but the only number I have for him, he said was going to change. If anybody wants that number please E-mail me directly at artbcpa at aol dot com.

As far as getting back to Papeete, that was easy - take the ferry . It is just a half hour ride for the faster one and 50 minutes for the slower one. The ferry station in Papeete is right next to the dock where the Paul Gauguin sails. You will need a taxi (or rental car) when you disembark the ferry in Moorea.

• 3 weeks later...

we pre and post cruised at the meridien near Papeete airport...absolutely wonderful...tiotally refurbished,,great pool. free kayak and snorkel and my spouse loved the daily aquasize with sebastian un deux trois..

Is the Hilton walkable from the tender pier in Moorea? I took the little Google man for a walk today to get the lay of the land. But I didn't know exactly where PG anchors. Is it doable or crazy?

EDIT: I should mention that this would be for a day trip off the ship and we'd not be burdened with luggage.

Mighty,

the ship anchors off Oponuhu bay and the tenders come in there . I dont think its walkable but for someone who is going to walk the Camino - it may be OK !!

I know we paid about $45 for a taxi to Les Tip - the distance is likely a third so not more than 15-20 IMO - price could be higher due to the fall in $ etc

If you visit Island Fashion (via their shuttle to see their store) and say hi to my friend Ron Hall then you could ask them to drop you off at the hotel on your way back. You can mention us to Ron as we always visit him and buy stuff too. Make sure you tell him we are Indian because he may not remember our names but he knows us as an Indian family! Of course Ron may not be there as he hasnt been well . Ron went to Polynesia with Peter Fonda (according to Legend) and never went back to the states. I love his Keishi Pearls and have bought a number of individual pearls from him and more recently from his son over the years. His daughter in law usually drives the vehicle from the dock.

If you visit Island Fashion (via their shuttle to see their store) and say hi to my friend Ron Hall then you could ask them to drop you off at the hotel on your way back.
Thanks Emdee. Is the Hilton somewhere between Island Fashion and the dock? If so, that could be a plan.

Yes Hilton is between Island fashion and the dock. Also if Ron is there he is not a pushy salesman and will explain all you need to know about pearls.I think Hilton is closer to Ron's and Cooks Bay. When the ship used to dock at Cooks Bay we used to walk over to Ron's place.

• 2 weeks later...
We just returned home from a 4-night post-cruise stay at the Moorea Hilton Lagoon Resort & Spa (formerly managed by Sheraton). When we were choosing which resort and over water bungalows to stay at, we read numerous reviews and talked with more than a dozen people who had previously been to French Polynesia. The overwhelming majority told us that the Hilton Moorea was the best combination of price and quality. Normally there is a wide variation for the "best" of anything; so we were surprised that we received such a high degree of support for the Hilton.

For the most part we were not disappointed.

The highlights:

The morning breakfast buffet - every bit as good as anything on the Paul Gauguin - the variety, the quality, and the view were all outstanding. Since food is so pricey in French Polynesia, we were able to limit our need for a big lunch.

The tropical fish - We were told that the quantity and quality of viewing sea life was superb. I heartily agree. I own a 150 gallon salt water aquarium; so seeing these fish in the wild was a real trip for me. What was really a surprise was the quality of the snorkeling from the beach. As much as we enjoyed our over water bungalow, there were just as many fish (maybe more) that we viewed right from the beach. Take a few pieces of fish food around any of the rocks or coral and you will be surrounded by some of the most beautiful fish you have ever seen - parrotfish, triggers, butterflies, angelfish, forcepfish, wrasses, tangs, etc. etc. etc. At night sharks hung around the bar near the overwater huts. WOW!!!

The views - While other resorts have equally impressive views (most notably the Sofitel in Moorea), the lagoon at the Hilton is exquisite and the sunrises and sunsets breathtaking.

The freshwater pool - I know this is probably heresy, but I prefer freshwater over salt. The freshwater pool at the Hilton was warm, clean, large, and just perfect for me- what do you want I am originally from Miami. Every afternoon when the wind kicked up making snorkeling less desirable, we relaxed by the pool, never feeling overcrowded or having to dodge dozens of screaming kids.

The activities - We participated and enjoyed many of the activities at the Hilton including the kayaking, the tennis, the fitness center, and the gardens all are free. There are also other activities available for a small fee.

Other comments - We didn't try all of the restaurants; so we can't comment on each of them. But our limited experiences were positive, though a little expensive.

I have to make special note of the tennis courts. I am not sure of exactly their composition but they were some of the best courts we have ever played on. It looked and felt like some kind of artificial clay. The front desk also had tennis racquets and balls we could borrow, which were of very high quality.

The most clearly negative comment we would give would be about their service - very inconsistent. Some was very good, but other times it was quite poor. Check-in was a disaster. Perhaps the clerk was new as she kept having to ask her supervisor for assistance. We were told the room would be ready at a certain time. It wasn't. We finally had to "strongly" suggest that they should give us another room.

While in Moorea we did rent a car and visited several of the other hotels. I would not put the Pearl in its class. The Sofitel has a beautiful lagoon and upgraded over water bugalow suites which were significantly larger than anything else we had seen. We did not get to the Intercontinental in Moorea and Legends was closed.

Overall, I would highly recommend staying at the Hilton. As much as we enjoyed the over water bungalows, if price is an important factor, you will fully enjoy your stay in a garden hut.

I only read the 1st 2 sentences. I couldn't read any more. We are back fm Tahiti 12 and a half weeks--I still haven't gotten over it. 2nd time there---....Want to go back. NOW. All you people who are going---enjoy the daylights out of it. I've been all over the world--for some reason, Tahiti (French Polynesia) did me in......

Archived