Vatican reserving visit before arriving

jonj

I was reading on another board where someone faxed the vatican to reserve a time slot and by passed the line when they arrived by showing their reservation number. They then proceeded in purchasing the admission tickets right there and then withotu waiting in any lines

I tried to post this question on the other board but it was an old post and not sure if that person still participates as I haven't received an answer in a couple of days

Looking at the vatican website I see only where you can order the tickets in advance to bypass the line but the tickets are non-refundable and if the ship misses the port for some reason we would be out the money

Any feedback and how to exactly reserve a time by faxing vs ordering the tickets in advance

Thank you

I have not heard of faxing a request for tickets for the Vatican museum. Perhaps it used to be done before they allowed you to preorder tickets online (this occurred about 3 years ago).

I wouldn't worry overmuch about your ship missing Rome. In the past 5+ years of reading CC I only recall two instances where this port was missed -- one due to a mechanical failure onboard ship and one due to unusually high winds and strong currents.

I was reading on another board where someone faxed the vatican to reserve a time slot and by passed the line when they arrived by showing their reservation number. They then proceeded in purchasing the admission tickets right there and then withotu waiting in any lines

I tried to post this question on the other board but it was an old post and not sure if that person still participates as I haven't received an answer in a couple of days

Looking at the vatican website I see only where you can order the tickets in advance to bypass the line but the tickets are non-refundable and if the ship misses the port for some reason we would be out the money

Any feedback and how to exactly reserve a time by faxing vs ordering the tickets in advance

Thank you

Are you talking about the Vatican museum? I would make sure you inquire as such when talking to anyone in Italy, as the Vatican refers to everything there... and would not necessarily mean the museum. As for the museum, I would highly suggest reserving in advance. I would also suggest the use of a private guide. We had been through the museum twice before I decided to go with a guide... it was the most incredible experience to have someone be able to point out what we were looking at... and the history around the art and building. PLUS, with many different guides, they are able to secure tickets and bypass the line.

I haven't heard of ships missing Rome at all. It's not a stop where weather has anything to do with docking. You are at a low risk of missing this port.

Let me know if you have any other questions, but you can reserve ahead of time with the Vatican museum. The tickets aren't that expensive and they also offer a guided tour, although it's a bit hard to make the early tour, and the later tour isn't very good for making it back to the ship. The museum is one of my favorites of all time though! Enjoy!

Thank you

yes I meant the Vatican musems. It must have been before the tickets were available online. When reserving and ordering the tickets online do you automatically get a guide or do you have to reserve it separately or somewhere else.

Any recommendations for a guide would be great. We have two teens with us and don't want to over do the musems. I think they would tune our after hours of it. they do like museums but can only spend so much time there

When you go to the Vatican site, you can reserve just the tickets or you can reserve a tour. It's pretty clear. The tour is about 2 hours (maybe a tad more with some guides) and the price does include your tickets.

I've had several guided tours of the Vatican museum but I tend to like things very detailed so I'm not sure my recommendations would be worthwhile for your family. However, another poster mentioned a guide she recently used for the Vatican in another thread a bit farther down the page.

Edited to add: Here is a link to the post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28078152&postcount=16

I've had several guided tours of the Vatican museum but I tend to like things very detailed so I'm not sure my recommendations would be worthwhile for your family. However, another poster mentioned a guide she recently used for the Vatican in another thread a bit farther down the page.

Edited to add: Here is a link to the post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=28078152&postcount=16

Yes, and we also used Sonia for a tour of the archeological sites (Pantheon, Colloseum, etc.) and she was very, very good! No matter whom you choose, you and your children will get so much more out of the experience with a good guide. We purchased tickets online in advance (yes, this can only be done 60 days in advance), and bypassed what were very long lines, even in February.

Hi. We will be in Rome in May 2011 as well...we are a family of 7 ranging in age from 40's to 75....May I ask who you used for guides for the Vatican tours, and/or who you would suggest? So far I have made contact with Angel tours and Eden Walks...do you think that the tours given by the Vatican are better or are they too detailed? Do you remember if there are places to sit for a few minutes? My DH sometimes needs to sit for just a few minutes to rest his back...... thanks for any info..anyone else have any info to share?......L

Hi. We will be in Rome in May 2011 as well...we are a family of 7 ranging in age from 40's to 75....May I ask who you used for guides for the Vatican tours, and/or who you would suggest? So far I have made contact with Angel tours and Eden Walks...do you think that the tours given by the Vatican are better or are they too detailed? Do you remember if there are places to sit for a few minutes? My DH sometimes needs to sit for just a few minutes to rest his back...... thanks for any info..anyone else have any info to share?......L

Sorry... been a crazy couple of days :)

We have used Romeinlimo for our Rome tours. We paid extra and got a private guided tour through the vatican museum. We had several factors why we wanted a guided tour this time. Between my mom that tires easily and my daughter that was recovering from treatment for leukemia we wanted to make sure we could bypass the line, and make sure we were able to see what we wanted to see. The difference over doing this alone the year before was amazing! That said, the vatican does guided tours also. I just remember that both of their tours make it hard to do as a cruise stop. We were a family of 6... then we added 4 others that were part of our cruise buddies... so we had a nice party of 10 for our day tour with Romeinlimo. It was WAY affordable.

Good luck and I would be happy to answer any other questions. Enjoy! The Vatican museum is amazing!

The guide we had was really great.. Since my daughter was still on daily, oral chemotherapy, I discretely asked him to be able to let me know where the nearest bathroom was at any given time. It was worth every penny just to have peace of mind.... It was my daughter's Make A Wish trip, and going through the Vatican museum was HIGH on her list. They made it really special for her.

Archived