Need help with flights please - freaking out!!!

Good morning! I am starting to freak out a little bit. We booked our first RC cruise 2 weeks ago and will be flying into and arriving in Ft Lauderdale (from Boston via Atlanta) at 1:15pm on the day of departure for our cruise. I am now getting really concerned that I screwed up with the flight arrangements and am really cutting things too close.

Can anyone tell me if I should be looking to try to reschedule my flights? Thanks in advance!!

The major concern is if either of the flights are delayed you may have an issue. Once you get to FLL, the port is literally right around the corner. But I would be worried with the connection in Atlanta. Have you tried looking at JetBlue or Spirit for direct flights from Logan to FLL? I live in south FL but am from the Boston area so I book this route a lot ;)

Assuming the ship is leaving at 5pm? If yes, then you MUST be on board at 3:30, that is not leaving much room for delays or such. Atlanta is one of the busiest airports in the world.

I would reschedule if possible, heck we go in the day before. I don't want to stress on my vacation.

Good morning! I am starting to freak out a little bit. We booked our first RC cruise 2 weeks ago and will be flying into and arriving in Ft Lauderdale (from Boston via Atlanta) at 1:15pm on the day of departure for our cruise. I am now getting really concerned that I screwed up with the flight arrangements and am really cutting things too close.

Can anyone tell me if I should be looking to try to reschedule my flights? Thanks in advance!!

You need to switch to a first morning, direct flight or fly in the day before. You dont say what time of year. Any weather issues, even summer storms can mess up your flight from Atlanta. Try Jet Blue, FIRST flight out from Boston. We did that in Oct. But, we flew in the day before. You are cutting it to close. Air travel is not friendly anymore. Delays in takeoff and cancellations are now common. :)

That would be way too close for me too. If you cannot fly in the day before, I would also try to get the first flight out, direct if possible in the morning. Besides weather delays (at Logan, or Atl, or anywhere the plane slated for your flight is coming in from) there could also be mechanical delays, security delays (either with you or someone in front of you that has messed up the security line and now you've missed your flight), medical delays (and now you're diverted and landing at some other airport to get the sick person off) etc etc etc. Landing at 1:30 for a 5pm sail away (even with the port 5 mins away) would make me way too stressed. Change flights if you can IMHO.

We always travel the day before so that you can avoid any potential travel issues. Arriving @1:15 is cutting it a little close in my opinion, especially VIA Atlanta as mentioned previously.

Probably if everything goes well, you'd be ok. But then your cruise is in the hands of a lot of people. I had this similar situation in Dec. for our cruise. I ended up switching flights ($200) to the day before, and cashing in Marriott rewards points for a free night at a hotel. Made a big difference in the experience (and we got to catch the Christmas boat parade in FLL from our balcony!) If you can swing just pay the extra and relax. (Priceline may have some good deals on a hotel as well.) Good luck. Karen

I would try and change it. Atlanta is a tough place to get through on time. Even first flights of the day are bad. Two weeks ago left my small airport on my way to Westminster at 6 a.m. Got on the runway and had to wait 30 minutes because ATL had a hold on all incoming flights. Made my connection with 5 minutes to spare but a couple I met going to FLL for a cruise missed theirs. I had asked them in the airport why they didn't fly in the day before. The gentleman said they had never had a problem with a late flight.

Thank you all so much! We, in fact, just changed our flights to the day before. Since we were using frequent flyer points, and DH is a Diamond level Delta flyer, we did not have to pay for changing flights. I feel so much better knowing that we now have some breathing room! Thanks again!

Thank you all so much! We, in fact, just changed our flights to the day before. Since we were using frequent flyer points, and DH is a Diamond level Delta flyer, we did not have to pay for changing flights. I feel so much better knowing that we now have some breathing room! Thanks again!

Good choice! With the weather we have been having this winter, you at least will have some flexibility now. From you prior posts, it looks like you are now flying Friday. Keep an eye out, they say we are back in an active weather pattern again. Lets hope this snow and ice is done, I know I am done with it!:p

Smart move. No one mentioned it but baggage delays are probably much more common than flight delays. Check out Priceline for a room. If you don't know how to bid to to Biddingfortravel.com to get an idea of successful bids. I always stay downtown which is right across from the Port and close to many stores and shops on 17th Street. Bid 4 star and you should be able to get the Renaissance for less than $100 per night. I would start bidding at $70. You can make a new bid every 24 hours.

Archived