A Little Help From Those Who Would Know

PROCRUISE

Looking for a nice retirement celebration cruise for January,2012! While we've cruised a lot with CCL, we're open to all cruise lines. Really have nothing negative to say about any of our previous cruise experiences with CCL, HAL, NCL (poor food, that's it) and we'll be on Celebrity next month.

Two of the January cruises we're looking at are 14 nighters on either Grand Princess or Crown Princess. I understand the Grand Princess will have a make over by then, which might make it the leading contender, but wondering what Princess loyalist might think of either ship. Thanks for any insights you might offer.

I sailed on both ships last January in a back to back and I think both are great. The Crown had a slightly different set up in the Horizon Court but both worked efficiently.

You might think about something a little different like a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral or the Island for a really special experience. I've done it twice and it's been fascinating both times.

Looking for a nice retirement celebration cruise for January,2012! While we've cruised a lot with CCL, we're open to all cruise lines. Really have nothing negative to say about any of our previous cruise experiences with CCL, HAL, NCL (poor food, that's it) and we'll be on Celebrity next month.

Two of the January cruises we're looking at are 14 nighters on either Grand Princess or Crown Princess. I understand the Grand Princess will have a make over by then, which might make it the leading contender, but wondering what Princess loyalist might think of either ship. Thanks for any insights you might offer.

I have been on both and prefer the Grand. The Crown tends to feel more crowded, particularly on sea days. We are on the Grand in August so are looking forward to seeing it after it's makeover. They are adding the International Cafe in the Atrium which is a great place for coffee and snacks and as a meeting point with friends.

Have you considered the 14-day Hawaii cruise on the Golden Princess roundtrip from LA? We recently enjoyed this cruise & the Golden Princess which had the same overhaul as planned for the Grand only with keeping Skywalkers & it's great view.

We've been on the Grand before and are going to be on her for the last cruise before the dry dock - I'd love to try her after the dry dock as well. She's a wonderful ship - you won't go wrong and if you read these boards, you'll find her employees have a wonderful reputation for great service.

While these cruises are sold as 14 day trips, they really are 2 7day ones and spend one day in the middle back in Ft. Lauderdale, check out the itinerary. Of the two ships I would prefer the Grand. I also think the Panama Canal or Hawaii would be really nice trips.

While these cruises are sold as 14 day trips, they really are 2 7day ones and spend one day in the middle back in Ft. Lauderdale, check out the itinerary. Of the two ships I would prefer the Grand. I also think the Panama Canal or Hawaii would be really nice trips.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. We've previously done Hawaii and the Panama Canal transit, and yes they are really grand trips! I think a back to back 7 day cruise will be interesting and I'm sure we'll be pleased with the Grand Princess. I love this part of Cruise Critics where one can get suggestions from those who have cruised a number of times with a specific cruise line, so I again thank those who responded. May your next cruise be perfect!

Archived