3 favorite things to do on Grayd Cayman

ILoveScotland

I've just booked a 7 night stay on Grand Cayman for next January. DH and I were there for a day a few years ago, and about all I remember is going out to see the sting rays and to the little place named H**L. Now I'll have a whole week to relax and explore.

So, knowing CCers are so helpful, I ask: What are your 3 (or more) favorite things to do on Grand Cayman?

I'll start making my list and add to it as the months roll by.

Thanks.

Where are you staying and what type of activities do you enjoying doing? Also, will you be renting a car?

Staying at Morritt's Tortuga Club on the East End so will rent a car. I'm not very athletic, but I do love anything in or on the water and am determined to try a discover scuba course sometime. I like local crafts and never shop for anything expensive. I also love good restaurants.

I may or may not be alone. I've invited my adult daughter and two friends to stay with me as the timeshare unit will sleep 4.

That help?

We're staying on 7-mile beach next month. Here's our list of things we're going to do while on the island.

Ivory Kai point to look for starfish

Stingrays

Rum Point

Pedro St. James

Turtle Farm

Hell (not much there, but we go every time we are on GC)

Pure Art (this is the best shop we've found. It's about a mile south of town)

Pedro St. James

Botanical Gardens

Butterfly Gardens

Auto Museum

Blow Holes

We're also going to spend a lot of time just relaxing on the beach with an umbrella drink in hand.

Here's the restaurants that we've been to and enjoyed:

Coconut Joe's

Rackham's

Breezes

Hammerhead's

Solana

Eats

We've eaten at others, but these were our favorites. We're also going to try a few new ones while we're on the island.

We rent a car and explore the entire island. We particularly enjoy the East End, although we're not staying on that side, but with a car, we can scoot over to that side whenever we want.

Don't forget that most restaurants will add the tip to your bill. The first time we were there (we were on a ship), we didn't realize this and tipped twice.

East End is a lot quieter than Seven Mile Beach and that side of the island.

Beaches

There is an exceptional beach right at Morritts. No need to drive to Seven Mile Beach. If you really want a different beach feel then Rum Point is a short drive away. Check cruise ship schedules and go to Rum Point early, late, or on a weekday without cruise ships and you'll find it is a lot less busy.

Or have a quiet beach all to yourself. Seriously. Pack a picnic lunch and take the very short drive down to Colliers Public Beach. You will probably be the only ones there. There are even some gazebos for shade and a restroom.

Dining

You must eat lunch at Miss Viveens Kitchen down in Gun Bay at least once. She serves Cayman style home cooking. Walk around to the back of her house and up the steps to her kitchen door to place your order. The view is amazing from her place.

Pick up a jerk chicken and pork dinner from one of the jerk stands in Bodden Town. This is an easy and affordable take out dinner for some days when you are driving back from the west side in the evening.

Activities

You might want to try out scuba diving. Tortuga Divers is the Red Sail Sports affiliated dive shop right at Morritts. Ocean Frontiers is another well regarded dive shop just down the road. Be sure to contact them early to book any training and arrange any needed paperwork including necessary medical clearances.

There is a local crafts shop near Morritts - just across the road from Tukka restaurant. Check it out and you might even find some real local crafts and not just the Made-in-China imports.

The Botanic Park is well worth a visit. Contact them and ask about guided nature walks with their director.

Go hike the Mastic Trail. Contact the Natural Trust for the Cayman Islands to ask about guided walks.

Relax on the beach at Morritts and watch some of the cruise ships on the horizon as they sail on towards Jamaica.

Take a snorkel trip to the newest attraction - the wreck of the USS Kittiwake. It was just scuttled as an artificial reef in January 2011 and is already making quite a home for the fish life.

Special Challenge

Try to figure out where I live!!! I'm out here in East End. :)

Thank you all so much. These are all just what I was hoping to receive. I'll have to start a Grand Cayman Document with all the ideas. I know it's 11 months away, but I love to plan early and then set everything aside until a month or two before I travel.

Drew, while I still have a lot to learn, my sense is that the East End is not very developed, so maybe you live at Morritts or one of the other resorts? Or a lovely condo perhaps. Or in a grass hut overlooking the sea?:D:)

Lots of good advice so far. Some of my favorite hideaway beaches and areas worth a visit are:

Barefoot Beach just up the road from Morritts.

Smith Cove/Bacadere in South Sound/George Town

South Sound Public & Community beaches

Cemetery Beach in West Bay

Rum Point

Some nice little shops to visit:

Market at the Grounds (farmers and craft market) just between Bodden Town and Savannah. Go early (before 9:00 for the most selection).

Beach Bubbles in Bodden Town for hand made soaps and lotions.

Pure Art in South Sound/George Town near Smith Cove

Eats:

Over the Edge for no frills service and great fresh fish and seafood specialties

Tukka

Rum Point Dinner Restaurant

Kaibo: Down Stairs for lunch, upstairs on weekend for a bit more fancy dinner. Tuesday they have a Beach BBQ with a band for entertainment. The food for that is so so.

Miss Vivine's for local specialties

Driftwoods for a beer and some conversation.

Since you have a car, these are not must sees, but rather could sees: Wreck of the Ten Sails overlook, Lighthouse Park, Mastic Trail Hike (Guide from the National Trust is recommended) and the Blow Holes.

Lots of good advice so far. Some of my favorite hideaway beaches and areas worth a visit are:

Barefoot Beach just up the road from Morritts.

Smith Cove/Bacadere in South Sound/George Town

South Sound Public & Community beaches

Cemetery Beach in West Bay

Rum Point

Some nice little shops to visit:

Market at the Grounds (farmers and craft market) just between Bodden Town and Savannah. Go early (before 9:00 for the most selection).

Beach Bubbles in Bodden Town for hand made soaps and lotions.

Pure Art in South Sound/George Town near Smith Cove

Eats:

Over the Edge for no frills service and great fresh fish and seafood specialties

Tukka

Rum Point Dinner Restaurant

Kaibo: Down Stairs for lunch, upstairs on weekend for a bit more fancy dinner. Tuesday they have a Beach BBQ with a band for entertainment. The food for that is so so.

Miss Vivine's for local specialties

Driftwoods for a beer and some conversation.

Since you have a car, these are not must sees, but rather could sees: Wreck of the Ten Sails overlook, Lighthouse Park, Mastic Trail Hike (Guide from the National Trust is recommended) and the Blow Holes.

Lots of new ideas for our trip! Thanks.

If you need more things to do, I will add:

• exploring (carefully) the cliffs at Pedro St. James
  • a visit to the black coral shop (it is a trip) in South Sound/George Town
  • checking out the glass blowing shop in George Town
  • searching for the the last remaining flip-flop trees on the island (kind of like Truffula Trees).

If you need more things to do, I will add:

• exploring (carefully) the cliffs at Pedro St. James
  • a visit to the black coral shop (it is a trip) in South Sound/George Town
  • checking out the glass blowing shop in George Town
  • searching for the the last remaining flip-flop trees on the island (kind of like Truffula Trees).

Thanks. Where is the glass blowing shop? Never heard of a flip-flop tree. We'll have to look for these.

Definately go see the turtle farm. It won't take more than two hours, but it is very interesting. It is right across the street from Boatswains Beach and the Cracked Conch restaurant.

Have a great trip!

go on tripadvisor.com for lots of info.

I go to tripadvisor all the time and have for info on Grand Cayman, too. But, it's still great to find out what CCers think. Now I have a lot of different ideas thanks to all the resources.

• 9 months later...

Beaches

There is an exceptional beach right at Morritts. No need to drive to Seven Mile Beach. If you really want a different beach feel then Rum Point is a short drive away. Check cruise ship schedules and go to Rum Point early, late, or on a weekday without cruise ships and you'll find it is a lot less busy.

Or have a quiet beach all to yourself. Seriously. Pack a picnic lunch and take the very short drive down to Colliers Public Beach. You will probably be the only ones there. There are even some gazebos for shade and a restroom.

Dining

You must eat lunch at Miss Viveens Kitchen down in Gun Bay at least once. She serves Cayman style home cooking. Walk around to the back of her house and up the steps to her kitchen door to place your order. The view is amazing from her place.

Pick up a jerk chicken and pork dinner from one of the jerk stands in Bodden Town. This is an easy and affordable take out dinner for some days when you are driving back from the west side in the evening.

Activities

You might want to try out scuba diving. Tortuga Divers is the Red Sail Sports affiliated dive shop right at Morritts. Ocean Frontiers is another well regarded dive shop just down the road. Be sure to contact them early to book any training and arrange any needed paperwork including necessary medical clearances.

There is a local crafts shop near Morritts - just across the road from Tukka restaurant. Check it out and you might even find some real local crafts and not just the Made-in-China imports.

The Botanic Park is well worth a visit. Contact them and ask about guided nature walks with their director.

Go hike the Mastic Trail. Contact the Natural Trust for the Cayman Islands to ask about guided walks.

Relax on the beach at Morritts and watch some of the cruise ships on the horizon as they sail on towards Jamaica.

Take a snorkel trip to the newest attraction - the wreck of the USS Kittiwake. It was just scuttled as an artificial reef in January 2011 and is already making quite a home for the fish life.

Special Challenge

Cool, But I,m looking for the best place to buy coffee beans to take home..any ideas??

Cool, But I,m looking for the best place to buy coffee beans to take home..any ideas??

Hmmm.... Cayman does not grow its own coffee. We're stuck buying coffee at the grocery or perhaps Dunkin Donuts.

If your cruise takes you to Jamaica then their Blue Mountain Coffees garner good marks.

• 2 weeks later...

Beaches

Dining

Activities

Special Challenge

There will be a group of 8 of us coming in on the Carnival Liberty on March 1st and we cannot come up with anything to do that day. We have been there before and just shopped and went to 7 Mile Beach. I think we are snorkeling in Belize so we didn't want to do that there. A nice uncrowded beach with drinks available would be great. I think that since you live there, you should take us on a tour of what to see! :) I do most of the planning for our group and we love to have fun and I am getting a little discouraged because I have not come up with anything for GC yet. Please help with any suggestions!!!

Archived