Help decide which NOLA cruise

canoeq

I have clients looking to book either the NCL Spirit or the Carnival Conquest cruise out of New Orleans. They cannot decide. Prices are comparable. NCL has 4 ports, Carnival has 3. Any input on either cruise is welcomed. Clients are single women in the 50's, active, want to relax swim and snorkel, departing December.

Thanks,

Carnival has a better reputation for food, NCL for nickle and diming you more.

I would pick Carnival...but Iv been on the Conquest I think 4 times now. I want traditional dining, not anytime ...which is why I dont prefer NCL. I enjoy getting to meet tablemates and chat with them during the cruise.

I have booked my 6th cruise on NCL in September out of NOLA on NCL. I have been on 3 Carnival cruises. The free style dining on NCL gives you an opportunity to meet more people. They would enjoy both cruise lines. 3 or 4 ports. They want ship board activities or see the different ports? I will say it is all good. Can't go wrong.

I have never felt 'nickeled or dimed" on a NCL cruise, and I love them. I like Carnival too. I think many of the lines try to copy NCL. The food to me is about the same. I do think NCL is a little advanced in their thinking. To me, both lines are about the same. It would be the ports. I've been on both ships and like both. I thought the ports were truly different on the Spirit.. not somewhere I've been 10 times. But both are great. You can't go wrong.

Nancy

I just got back from my first cruise ever, the Carnival Triumph out of NOLA. The cruise was a great experience. I am all about diversity though and trying new things so I am already planning my next cruise which will be on the NCL Spirit out of NOLA in January 2012. NCL Spirit has more entertainment on the ship and I like the ports better. Not many cruises go to Belize and Honduras!

I was on the Spirit almost 2 years ago and loved it. I loved Freestyle dining and they have it down to a science. I also like the big shaded area in the back of the ship - great for relaxing and reading without getting sunburned.

I have not been on the Conquest yet, but you cannot beat the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake on Carnival. Carnival also had the nicest linens - very comfy.

I would pick based on the ports of call.

Not many cruises go to Belize and Honduras!

I went to both of these ports on Carnival Triumph, western ...

Iv also been about 3 times before out of Galveston on RCL.

...not that rare, but I love Roatan, so Id go there a lot more if I could.

They want to go swimming and snorkeling in December departing New Orleans. You have 4 choices. Conquest and Voyager go to Jamaica, Caymans and Cozumel. Conquest also goes to Key West and the Bahamas. Spirit goes to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel.

The obvious choice is Spirit for the best swimming and snorkeling. It will be too cold in the Bahamas and snorkeling is much better with Spirit's itinerary than the others.

They want to go swimming and snorkeling in December departing New Orleans. You have 4 choices. Conquest and Voyager go to Jamaica, Caymans and Cozumel. Conquest also goes to Key West and the Bahamas. Spirit goes to Roatan, Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel.

The obvious choice is Spirit for the best swimming and snorkeling. It will be too cold in the Bahamas and snorkeling is much better with Spirit's itinerary than the others.

I totally agree. Spirit has the best itinerary for swimming and snorkeling. In fact Belize and Roatan have some of the best reefs for snorkeling outside of the Great Barrier Reef.

I might add that we've sailed the Spirit out of NOLA 4 times over the last 4 years and have booked Spirit again for this November. We've sailed 30+ cruises spanning NCL, Carnival, Princess, RCL and Celebrity since Dec., 2002 and the Spirit is our favorite ship over all ships we've sailed so far.

Regarding those who say NCL ``nickles and dimes'' pax, well, all I can say is that I've never felt that way. NCL's freestyle cruising concept allows you the opportunity to cruise at a price you can afford. NCL's ships offer many free restaurants on their ships and many additional pay restaurants as well. their free restaurants offer good quality meals in their free restaurants. The additional pay restaurants are a step up from mass market dinners.

The choice to eat in the free dining facilities or the extra pay restaurants is totally up to the cruiser.

Of the 5 cruiselines we've sailed we have cruised NCL & Carnival the most. We've seen both cruiselines make some great changes in what they offer in past guest amenities and NCL tops Carnival in its past guest reward program.

Have also seen several changes in live musical entertainment on both cruiselines over the past few years. While Carnival seems to be offering fewer venues for live music on ships, NCL has continued to afford pax a good variety of live band music.

In fact, on our last Spirit cruise DH & I were sitting in the Bier Garten on a port day listening to live jazz music performed by the ship's orchestra/band and commented that the live music in the Lido deck is something we've been missing on our past few Carnival ships. Our last Carnival cruise had been on the Glory just 2 months before.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dianne

Archived