April transatlantic weather Tampa to Canaries

Pettifogger

We are going to need help from several contributors because one might have just happened to catch a warmer or colder transatlantic trip. We would expect shirtsleeve weather (seventies) in Florida and the Canary Islands in mid and late April, but need advice on the expanse of sea in between. Thanks.

We went in April 2009, and had gorgeous weather all the way. Smooth calm seas, warm balcony sunshine. We needed no more than a windbreaker. It has to be really hot for me to want to wear shorts, and I don't believe I took any shorts - just plenty of lightweight slacks. I loved those 5 sea days - went much too quickly!

We are going to need help from several contributors because one might have just happened to catch a warmer or colder transatlantic trip. We would expect shirtsleeve weather (seventies) in Florida and the Canary Islands in mid and late April, but need advice on the expanse of sea in between. Thanks.

Look to an astrologer or master of the divination arts to answer that one. :eek:

Smooth (hopefully) sailing...

world citizen:

My impulse was to ask you about an astrologer or master of the divination arts, but I guess the rules of this board forbid the mention of specific names?

Probably.

I looked into it for you: Here is what Nostradamus has to say about your crossing:

Within the closed vessel the light will enter,

The citizens within their fortress shall rejoice:

Stewards, bartenders, officers, the wave will touch the wall,

Though banquet, drink, spill not from dinnerware and glasses.

Looks good to me.

Weather is weather. Someone posts that seas made them seasick rounding Cape Horn, and someone else says "thats strange - it was glass when we sailed it".

We had 40 foot waves on our first crossing, glass the second. On that first crossing, people were organizing to get refunds. They didn't get them.

The rules of weather do not change because we are on vacation. Anything can happen at anytime respecting weather, and that is part of the fun of a cruise.

Its part of the adventure.

Smooth sailing...

LOL..You can never tell, what it will be like..Our only Eastbound was one of the most exciting trips we've ever had..

We've done 3 Trans Atlantic's..Our one Eastbound in April 2002 was on NCL's Dream.. It was a 16 day trip & the ship was due to stop in the Azores before continuing on to Barcelona.. Because of a big storm they closed the Azores.. The ships in Port could not leave.. We continued across in Gale Force Winds & 40 Ft. seas for 9 days..All in our Party are seasoned sailors so the wind & seas did not bother us..

On the 10th day, as we were nearing Gibraltar, the Captain made an announcement..He said "I have Good News & Bad News for you".."First the Bad News -We are running out of fuel" & "Now the Good News - We are going to stop in Gibraltar for Fuel & Supplies..We had an unscheduled stop for approx 4-5 hours & it was one of the most exciting ports we've ever been to..:D

We hired a cab to take us up to the Upper Rock & to see the Barbary Apes..We were all alone as it was nearing dusk..You are not supposed to feed the Apes, but the Cab Driver had some monkey chow & gave it to my Friend..One of the Apes jumped on my Friends shoulders & put his paws in her hair & then on my DH shoulders..I quickly put my hood up just before he jumped on me..Looking down from the mountain at the ship & town all lit up was so very beautiful..The Cab Driver told us the History of Gibraltar while taking us on a tour of the city..There is an old saying that if the Apes leave, Gibraltar will no longer be a British territory...I suspect the natives take very good card of the Apes!

We all still talk about our exciting crossing & the exciting time we had in Gibralter...:):)

Our other Trans Atlantic's have been West-bound in Oct/ Nov & the weather/seas were calm..

Hope you have a wonderful time..

Cheers..:)Betty

Archived