Is marigot worth going to???

Hook'em23

Oooh, I love Marigot! We were there briefly as part of Bernard's tour, and I wished we'd had more time. There's a craft market. A few stalls were selling spices, which looked interesting. If I'd had more time to shop, I would have gotten some.

We wandered through the market, then sat & had a drink at an open-air restauraunt. On past trips there, we've wandered around the harbor area, eyeing the huge yachts. Very nice!

Next time I'm back at St. Maarten, our first stop will be Marigot, to hang around for a few hours. Then, off to the airport beach & bar, to watch the jets landing directly overhead.

Have fun in St. Maarten!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Marigot is worth going over to.

Wife and I have been over there 3 times now, and are going again! It's that nice.

And quite different to Philipsburg. Better.

It's about 20 mins/ by taxi, cost you less than $10 per person (per direction)

Nice ambiance over there -better than commercial Philipsburg.

Marigot has a certain Caribbean Riviera feel to it.

Interesting craft market,

but also interesting little back streets, going 2-4 mini-blocks inland, quite safe to walk. ;)

Get over there early rather than later

bcoz many shops take a 2 hr. lunch siesta starting at 1 p.m.

so you might aim to get over there by 10 or 10:30.

You can always have your return taxi driver drop you off

back on Front Street Philipsburg, before boarding your ship.

(That's where/when we use the other half of the whole-day Water Taxi ticket/wristband)

Just to put the other point of view - I didn't think much of Marigot and would not bother going again. It seemed like one big car park on the seafront, really, plus a 'market' selling all the same souvenirs, but at higher prices than the Dutch side.

So obviously one man's meat....!

Though it did pour with rain while we were there, which didn't help!

Marigot-76.jpg

Just to put the other point of view - I didn't think much of Marigot and would not bother going again.

It seemed like one big car park on the seafront, really,

plus a 'market' selling all the same souvenirs, but at higher prices than the Dutch side.

So obviously one man's meat....!

Though it did pour with rain while we were there, which didn't help!

MarigotPatisserie-73.jpg

Did you go wandering up all the interesting little back streets?

or were you too afraid (or put off by the rain?) ?

If you only do the square area and the shops fronting onto it

you haven't done much of the town.

You have to poke around inland a bit, until you find the boutique

with the huge tiger at the door. ;)

FrenchSide-080.jpg

I think both sides of the report here are quite accurate. It's a whole lot cuter than Phillipsburg, but is essentially a Caribbean Market selling mostly the same stuff. I like to wander there for about 45 minutes and maybe stop for a drink, but I'd rather eat at Grand Case or hit the beach at Pinel or Orient.

I'm trying to plan my one day in St Martin and I am wondering if Marigot is worth going to. I have heard about a French market. What excatly is there and is it worth spending the time? Thanks!

I loved the French market. There was a French vendor selling bottled Rum drinks which he let us sample...they were amazing! We bought 3 bottles and drank one on the beach.

No, it never occurred to us to go down the side streets! We didn't have a very long stop. Just walked along the seafront and back. Why would we be afraid? Is there some problem here?

The market is not 'French' in any way that I could see, other than that is in the French part of the island. Just a normal Caribbean market.

I enjoyed Marigot on my 2 visits there. But you have to decide for yourself, depending on what other activites you're doing at your other stops. I like to balance things to make sure I have enough beach time, water time, exploring time throughout the cruise.

Also, just to clarify, there is a French Market which has lots of souveniers and things similar to what you'd find at other island stops. But if you cross the street and go to the other Marina area, it is more cafes and boutiques with much nicer things. There are numerous shops, for instance, with amazing selections of higher quality bathing suits and cover ups, which interested me while I was there. And you can dine at any number of cafes on the water. I don't think it would be that enjoyable if you just walk by rush through.

I adored Marigot too! I have a certain routine now -- things on my 'must-do' list, and every time is better than the last.

The market does have the usual carib souvenirs, but interspersed are some very nice booths with craftsman doing their thing. I have bought some nice silver from 'the silver guy' (can't remember his name at the moment), always have lunch at Rosemary's, either the seafood combo platter, or the chicken/ribs, always served with a Ting. i can't start my morning without a stop at Sarafina's - the best of all the pastry shops (and I am an expert). Sometimes I will go BACK to Sarafina's in the afternoon for firsts or seconds on dessert, or a gelato/sorbet if it's hot, or a box of goodies to take back on board the ship if I am cruising. (Ask if they have macarons that day (they don't always), if so-- you MUST have some!)

The car park is a bit ugly, but if that's all someone saw, then yes, it would not be a great impression... the hard part is remembering where I parked!

Just wandering the streets and shops, stopping every so often to just admire the beauty...and the yachts as someone else mentioned earlier... Marigot is one of my favs for sure.

We were there in 2004 on a tour and didn't have enough time so we returned on our own recently (3/7/11). We had a blast in Marigot and probably spent about 4 hours there. Apparently the vendor market is larger on Wednesdays and Saturdays, but we were there on a Monday and is was quite full with vendors. Yes, some of them were the typical vendors with the same old stuff but there are many "real" vendors mixed in who have some more unique items for sale. There are also some nice stores, boutiques and bakeries in the area and it feels like a very safe area.

Hiking up Fort Louis was not terribly strenuous and offered great views and photo opportunities.

We went to Rosemary's Creole Seafood (Fort Louis Harbor across from taxi stand with a blue tent) and the jerk chicken and ribs were amazing. They also had 34 oz. Presidente beers, which they charged me 2 euro for which is just silly cheap.

If you're looking for cuban cigars, the Casa Del Habanas is a great store just down the road. The entire store is a humidor and they offered 1:1 conversion USD to Euro so that was a good deal. They also have a "damaged" selection so be sure to check that out as they are only $6 and I found a nice Cohiba in there with a small crack at the end you stick in your mouth so it made no difference.

Greg

No, it never occurred to us to go down the side streets! We didn't have a very long stop. Just walked along the seafront and back. Why would we be afraid? Is there some problem here?

The market is not 'French' in any way that I could see, other than that is in the French part of the island. Just a normal Caribbean market.

Most of the vendors spoke French...yes it is in the Caibbean.

What are the can't miss areas? I am looking for more than a Caribbean market :)

It seems like there is a lot to be seen if I know where to look (which obviously, I don't!)

So you wander around and look. Go inland aways.

Poke around in the streets that aren't along the main square/car-park/vendors market.

It's called curiosity. And no, you don't have to carry your TASER with you. :cool:

Sounds like a place I'd like to visit.

There is a ship-sponsored tour that involves a boat tour past a lot of the mansions, and then it stops in Marigot for a few hours. If anyone has done that, does it leave enough time to actually explore the area?

We go to St. Maarten alot. We'll be there for 2 weeks in May staying on the Dutch side. I'm not a fan of Marigot. We will go one Wed or Sat for the market because we have friends going with us & they have never been to St. Maarten. We'll eat one day in Grand Case, we'll go one day to Orient Beach & the rest will be on the Dutch side.

Love going to town, eating at one of the restaurants on the boardwalk, swimming & people watching. Especially when cruise ships are in.

I adored Marigot too! I have a certain routine now -- things on my 'must-do' list, and every time is better than the last.

The market does have the usual carib souvenirs, but interspersed are some very nice booths with craftsman doing their thing. I have bought some nice silver from 'the silver guy' (can't remember his name at the moment), always have lunch at Rosemary's, either the seafood combo platter, or the chicken/ribs, always served with a Ting. i can't start my morning without a stop at Sarafina's - the best of all the pastry shops (and I am an expert). Sometimes I will go BACK to Sarafina's in the afternoon for firsts or seconds on dessert, or a gelato/sorbet if it's hot, or a box of goodies to take back on board the ship if I am cruising. (Ask if they have macarons that day (they don't always), if so-- you MUST have some!)

The car park is a bit ugly, but if that's all someone saw, then yes, it would not be a great impression... the hard part is remembering where I parked!

Just wandering the streets and shops, stopping every so often to just admire the beauty...and the yachts as someone else mentioned earlier... Marigot is one of my favs for sure.

I'd like some more info on Rosemary's. Where is it located in Marigot?

Is it expensive? type of menu? and lastly, what's a ting?

My opinion, if it is your first visit to St. Martin I would not go to Marigot. If you have been before then it is worth a visit. Last cruise was our 5th time to St. Martin and we were doing the beach every other day so spent most of the day in Marigot. It was nice and I'm glad we went. Was it the better than Orient Beach or the beach front by the cruise pier. In my opinion, no.

I'd like some more info on Rosemary's. Where is it located in Marigot?

Is it expensive? type of menu? and lastly, what's a ting?

snowgreg visited Rosemary's recently and posted a menu.

It's on the Marigot waterfront, between the Marigot Marketplace and the main parking area (just to the north if you look at a map, like #2).

I haven't eaten there, but it's on my list because of a NYT article years ago by chef Tony Bourdain that interested me.

What's a 'ting'? Let me Google that for you.

gary

snowgreg visited Rosemary's recently and posted a menu.

It's on the Marigot waterfront, between the Marigot Marketplace and the main parking area (just to the north if you look at a map, like #2).

I haven't eaten there, but it's on my list because of a NYT article years ago by chef Tony Bourdain that interested me.

What's a 'ting'? Let me Google that for you.

gary

Per Google........ A Ting is a popular Caribbean grapefruit soft drink,

bottles by Cott in the UK.............I was thinking something much more

exotic, but I bet it's good

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like a place I'd like to visit.

There is a ship-sponsored tour that involves a boat tour past a lot of the mansions, and then it stops in Marigot for a few hours. If anyone has done that, does it leave enough time to actually explore the area?

The only excursion that I am aware of is through Aquamania at the Pelican Marina. They call it a shopping excursion and it leaves from the marina which is on Billy Foley Rd at the beginning of the Simpson Bay area. You would need to take a taxi to the Marina. The cost of the excursion is $10 per person and the boat travels through the Simpson Bay Lagoon past the Mega Yachts and some multi-million dollar homes on it's way to Marigot. It leaves at 10 with a return time of 1 which would leave enough time for a nice visit in Marigot. When you arrive back at the Pelican Marina you can walk to nearby Kim Sha beach or over to one of the many restaurants in the area. Another option might be to take a short taxi ride to Maho Beach and watch the planes land for an hour or so and then take a taxi back to Philipsburg or the pier from there.

Archived