Another froufie esp review of my double date with destiny-feb 3 & 7, 2011

Froufie

CWcruisers, where in upstate NY did you live? We have a summer cabin on a lake in....UPSTATE NY! :p

Froufie, thank you so much for this great review. Congrats on becoming platinum. We LOVE the perks, esp. the free laundry! :D Sure hope you make it to HMC someday. We went there for the lst time last May and we're doing the exact same cruise THIS May too! Can't wait to go back. It is so refreshing to read a review with no moaning and groaning. One question if you have the time: can you WALK to British Colonial Hilton in Nassau? Enjoy planning your next cruise!

CWcruisers, where in upstate NY did you live? We have a summer cabin on a lake in....UPSTATE NY! :p

Numerous small villages in and around Ithaca.

Froufie, they make non-U.S. citizens do the customs thingy at 6:30 am on the ships out here too. I wonder if it has something to do with Mexico.

Loved the review. We tried Nachi Cochum in Cozumel because of your last review!!

We were at Paradise Beach last August and saw no signs of construction...they sure got that pool in fast. It looks beautiful. It will be a tough choice for me now between Nachi and Paradise Beach with that nice pool added.

Enjoy your Liberty cruise. We sailed on her this past Thanksgiving and although the Miracle is my all time favorite ship, Liberty is a close second!

We did the Chef's Table on Liberty last Nov. and while the food was good, to me it is not something I'd need to do again.

Thanks again for a wonderful review!

GREAT REVIEW!!!!! Can you tell me what night is the formal night on the eastern route?

Thanks!

Joyful34

Thanks!

Formal night was 1st day/evening at sea (in our case it was Tuesday evening).

Froufie, they make non-U.S. citizens do the customs thingy at 6:30 am on the ships out here too. I wonder if it has something to do with Mexico

No I believe it is 'port specific - happens in Tampa but no necessarily in other ports (e.g. never in miami or fll)

Loved the review. We tried Nachi Cochum in Cozumel because of your last review!!

We were at Paradise Beach last August and saw no signs of construction...they sure got that pool in fast. It looks beautiful. It will be a tough choice for me now between Nachi and Paradise Beach with that nice pool added.

Enjoy your Liberty cruise. We sailed on her this past Thanksgiving and although the Miracle is my all time favorite ship, Liberty is a close second!

We did the Chef's Table on Liberty last Nov. and while the food was good, to me it is not something I'd need to do again.

Thanks again for a wonderful review!

Glad you enjoyed the review!

I think both Nachi and PB have their good points - I prefer Nachi if we are in port for a long time and if there are a lot of ships in port as well - since they limit reservations....and it most cases it has been pretty quiet...

PB looks like it might be busier with more people but definitely cheaper if you are looking to save some bucks! And yes the pool was pretty quick I believe they began construction late November and it was completed in January!! It's a very lovely pool and I can see it adding to PB's attraction! :D

And at this point I agree that I am not dying to try the Chef's Table again....

My family will be on the Destiny in December. My daughter is interested in knowing what the charges were for internet usage. Do they have packages, with so many minutes for some many dollars? Or how does that work?

Thank you so much for the GREAT review, I couldn't stop until I read all 8 pages. The pictures were so pretty, it was just what I needed to get us all really excited about our Destiny cruise, but we have 9 months to go:(!

I love your review! could you tell me how the beach/water at Paradise Beach was?? The last time I was in Coz we were at Playa Mia beach, it was very rocky... tks

Thanks!

The water as far as I can remember was fine!!! Don't remember it being rocky or anything like that? But I do always have my water shoes in my beach bag - just in case!;)

My family will be on the Destiny in December. My daughter is interested in knowing what the charges were for internet usage. Do they have packages, with so many minutes for some many dollars? Or how does that work?

Thank you so much for the GREAT review, I couldn't stop until I read all 8 pages. The pictures were so pretty, it was just what I needed to get us all really excited about our Destiny cruise, but we have 9 months to go:(!

Yes they have packages - trying to remember the exact cost? I think it depends on length of cruise - cuz the package for the 5 day had more 'minutes' than the 4 day - on both crusies there were 2 options - I usually took the 'short'er/cheaper' package - I believe it was something like $16.50 on the 4 day for maybe 30 mins? And $24.00 on the 5 day maybe 40 mins? Sorry I can't be more precise..... There is also a $3.95 activation fee and if you go a la carte or go over your minutes you are charged the non-package rate of .75 per minute! And be forewarned the connection is pretty slow so a few minutes are typically wasted here and there as you try to get on and connect, etc.

And thanks for your kind words in regard to the review! Some of the pre-cruise fun is definitely the anticipation - I'm sure you will have a great time on the Destiny! :D

Froufie, thank you so much for this great review. Congrats on becoming platinum. We LOVE the perks, esp. the free laundry! :D Sure hope you make it to HMC someday. We went there for the lst time last May and we're doing the exact same cruise THIS May too! Can't wait to go back. It is so refreshing to read a review with no moaning and groaning. One question if you have the time: can you WALK to British Colonial Hilton in Nassau? Enjoy planning your next cruise!

You are so very welcome! And yes hope to make it to HMC next January on the Liberty!

And you can definitely walk to the BCH - no problem - not more than a 10 min walk if you don't stop in any stores or need to find the 'bargains' at the straw market!

Just turn right on 'main street' once you exit the port area - follow the crowds....when you get to the end of the road (you can only go right or left) you will be basically facing the 'side' of the BCH- go around the 'corner' to the left - stay on the right hand side and you will see the parking lot of the hotel (and a dunkin donuts across the street)....not hard to find and an easy walk!

Here's a map:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&sugexp=gsih&xhr=t&cp=11&wrapid=tljp1299468897359014&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=british+colonial+hilton+nassau&fb=1&gl=ca&hq=british+colonial+hilton&hnear=Nassau,+The+Bahamas&cid=0,0,17296775155414662627&ei=Z1J0TebpC8KW0QHrl4zFAQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CDIQnwIwAQ

Froufie,

Thanks so much for the great review. My family will be on the Destiny at the end of March. We have done Royal Caribbean and Disney. This will be our first Carnival cruise and we are really looking forward to it. Your review really got me looking forward to being on the Destiny! Thanks again for the review. Tell Ray he's lucky to have such a fun cruising buddy!:)

Froufie,

This is the best review I have ever read! Our family is new to this cruising thing, so to read your review was great. My DH and I are booked for the CT on our cruise to celebrate our 15th WA, and my 50th BD. I was so glad to read that the chef will make something different if you have dislikes. My DH HATES seafood with a passion, so this was great advice. I have a list going, so I do not miss anything, from all the great advice here on CC.:D. I wish you were sailing on the Splendor with us, I would so love to meet you. Thanks again for the great review and advice.

Polly

Froufie,

Thanks so much for the great review. My family will be on the Destiny at the end of March. We have done Royal Caribbean and Disney. This will be our first Carnival cruise and we are really looking forward to it. Your review really got me looking forward to being on the Destiny! Thanks again for the review. Tell Ray he's lucky to have such a fun cruising buddy!:)

I bet you are getting super excited! Destiny is a fine ship - not sure what all the complaints are about? We had great food and service.

Glad you enjoyed the review and I will make sure to let Ray know how lucky he is! :D:D

I thoroughly enjoyed your review! I'd love to cruise with someone who seems so happy!

Thanks - you are so sweet! I think cruising brings out the best in me! Happy Happy! :D:D (really what is there not to be happy about? think about it?;) )

Froufie,

This is the best review I have ever read! Our family is new to this cruising thing, so to read your review was great. My DH and I are booked for the CT on our cruise to celebrate our 15th WA, and my 50th BD. I was so glad to read that the chef will make something different if you have dislikes. My DH HATES seafood with a passion, so this was great advice. I have a list going, so I do not miss anything, from all the great advice here on CC.:D. I wish you were sailing on the Splendor with us, I would so love to meet you. Thanks again for the great review and advice.

Polly

Thanks Polly - you are too kind!!! Glad you enjoyed the review and I'm sure the CT will be 'customized' to your preference - there were a few people who opted out of the seafood thing so this should not be a problem!

Good luck on your cruise - and I too would love to be cruising the Splendor with you :D Have fun!

Hey froufie-

I just noticed you went on the Victory in Jan. 2006? What itinerary?? We are on that ship then too and our cruise only went to jamaica...funny if you were on it with us too! :)

I believe we sailed end of January 2006 on the Victory to Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios and Costa Maya - very nice cruise! (despite a few bites from the seahorses! :D)

Froufie, AMAZING review. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm cruising the Destiny next month on the 9th to Jamaica and Grand Cayman, sooooo excited. Third cruise, first with Carnival.

I have some questions for you, don't judge. hehe!

- What's the best way to get liquor on to the ship? Do you think if I have clear liquor in a water bottle that will work?

- I hear we are allowed one bottle of wine, each person?

- do they allow us to bring on board bottled water and sodas, is there a limit?

- we are flying into Ft. Lauderdale and will get in about midnight the night b4. debating if we should stay at a hotel near the Ft. Lauderdale airport or cab it close to the port that night?

- Since we aren't platinum, or anywhere close to it (CONGRATS BTW) I was planning on being at the port by 11, too soon? We depart at 4.

So sorry for the millions of Qs, please answer if you have time. I know it is a lot. :) I am just so excited to finally get away! Need a break, work has been so busy.

Thanks again for the insights. You rock!

M

Froufie, AMAZING review. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm cruising the Destiny next month on the 9th to Jamaica and Grand Cayman, sooooo excited. Third cruise, first with Carnival.

I have some questions for you, don't judge. hehe!

- What's the best way to get liquor on to the ship? Do you think if I have clear liquor in a water bottle that will work?

- I hear we are allowed one bottle of wine, each person?

- do they allow us to bring on board bottled water and sodas, is there a limit?

- we are flying into Ft. Lauderdale and will get in about midnight the night b4. debating if we should stay at a hotel near the Ft. Lauderdale airport or cab it close to the port that night?

- Since we aren't platinum, or anywhere close to it (CONGRATS BTW) I was planning on being at the port by 11, too soon? We depart at 4.

So sorry for the millions of Qs, please answer if you have time. I know it is a lot. :) I am just so excited to finally get away! Need a break, work has been so busy.

Thanks again for the insights. You rock!

M

Thanks so much for your kind words!

Now some answers:

-smuggling of liquor is hit or miss - I am not a big drinker and was able to get my gin on in a 6 oz toiletry bottle packed with my other cosmetics/toiletry stuff. Cruise buddy Ray got some vodka on in his rumrunner - these were all in our checked luggage

-you are 'allowed' one 750 ml bottle of wine per adult in your CARRYON ONLY upon boarding (but I also had some wine in a tetra pak and a half bottle of wine in my checked luggage both of those made it as well)

-you can bring a 12 pack of soda/water on with you as well - AGAIN IN YOUR CARRYON upon boarding (altho I don't think they are very strict with this at all - and you can probably replenhish your sodas in some of the ports if you find some). Also some report being able to bring liquor on in ports in their water bottles - depends on much 'checking' is going on!

-definitely getting to the port by 11 am is a great idea! You might avoid some of the long lineups

-u can choose to spend the night in FLL if that suits your purposes - I get very excited/anxious when cruising so feel very strongly about being as close to the ship as possible - so I always try to get to MIA the same day I land in FLL (of course coming in at midnight might make this a bit inconvenient).

-I wouldn't cab it tho as the fare from FLL to MIA is about $75+ - check out http://www.ridesas.com and see if Steve can transport you (not sure how many u are travelling with?) - but it might be cheaper at $15 a head. (again not sure if he will pick you up at midnight to drive to MIA but for sure you can arrange for pickup in the morning and drop off at the port at 11 am)

Hope I answered all your questions - if you have any others please ask!

Have a great cruise on the Destiny! :D:D

Hello Froufie! Long time...

Love your detail of the cruise! Sorry that I missed you at the Tea time; You were spot on-horrifying Cozumel sunburn. I felt nauseated for 2 days!

Glad you enjoyed yourself! I really loved the R&R of the cruise; There is nothing like having someone else cook for you (for a change).

I had no idea there was a Mexican buffet! I love Mexican food, and I missed it! Next time.....

See you, and thanks for the great detail of the Destiny.

Michelle

Archived