Galveston or New Orleans departure?

We live where it is pretty much the same distance driving to either port & this year decided to try the New Orleans option. I noticed a few things that might help others in making the decision for which Gulf Coast departure might be better for others...IMO

Price: In the fall, typically the prices for ships from New Orleans are less expensive than the comparable ship departing Galveston by about $200 per cabin (RCI).

Flying...the better port for those flying in is NEW ORLEANS.

The airport is closer. 20 mins compared to 45-60. If Galveston has a fog issue and you are flying in, you could have real problems in the event a cruise is delayed in attempting to re-arrange flight schedules. Transfers from the airport to the ship to Galveston can get very pricey. Taxi isn't an option from Houston to Galveston...$200 one way.

Driving...the better port for those driving to port is GALVESTON. The parking situation in NOLA is much worse than Galveston. Parking at the pier in NOLA is currently $17/day, compared to $10/day. Offsite parking at Galveston can be arranged for as little as $7/day...offsite in NOLA, $12/day. Hotels in Galveston can frequently be arranged for a day prior & will offer free parking during your cruise, shuttle or taxi to the port for about $10+tips/bags. Hotels in NOLA are heavily dependent upon festivals in the spring & football games in the fall; most hotels charge for parking during the cruise. Price difference average about $150 savings for a Galveston departure.

We live where it is pretty much the same distance driving to either port & this year decided to try the New Orleans option. I noticed a few things that might help others in making the decision for which Gulf Coast departure might be better for others...IMO

Price: In the fall, typically the prices for ships from New Orleans are less expensive than the comparable ship departing Galveston by about $200 per cabin (RCI).

The airport is closer.20 mins compared to 45-60. If Galveston has a fog issue and you are flying in, you could have real problems in the event a cruise is delayed in attempting to re-arrange flight schedules. Transfers from the airport to the ship to Galveston can get very pricey. Taxi isn't an option from Houston to Galveston...$200 one way.

Driving...the better port for those driving to port is GALVESTON. The parking situation in NOLA is much worse than Galveston. Parking at the pier in NOLA is currently $17/day, compared to $10/day. Offsite parking at Galveston can be arranged for as little as $7/day...offsite in NOLA, $12/day. Hotels in Galveston can frequently be arranged for a day prior & will offer free parking during your cruise, shuttle or taxi to the port for about $10+tips/bags. Hotels in NOLA are heavily dependent upon festivals in the spring & football games in the fall; most hotels charge for parking during the cruise.Price difference average about $150 savings for a Galveston departure.

Hi Kat,

We feel that New Orleans is the better option of the two (this in no way meant as an insult to Galveston). From a food and entertainment perspective, you can't beat New Orleans.

Of course, this is a biased opinion :D.

Jorge

I can spend the night at EconoLodge which has been redone since Ike, almost on Seawall, wake up to a view of the ocean for $40. And it includes breakfast and free cruise parking. Try that in New Orleans.

Its not just food and parking that is cheaper in Galveston and why I feel if the price is within $100, its even, and Ill just go out of Galveston. Has to be at least $100 cheaper out of New Orleans to go thru the rest, the mess of French Qtr etc.

I really like NCL. You can't get NCL out of Galveston. If you are going on Carnival, Galveston is getting a new ship very shortly in the fall. Galveston does seem to have fog issues. There is really more to do in New Orleans. I say... do them both. You really can't go wrong. Both are great.

Nancy

Don't kid yourself

at times the entire gulf coast has fog problems!

Wherever there is warmer water than the colder air

and no wind and no rain

there is fog.

Galveston is destination island with a beach

with fun things to do!

and right on the Gulf.

Which ever you're medicine is!

Everything is relative to you're interests!

JUST GO CRUISING and ENJOY!

I really like NCL. You can't get NCL out of Galveston. If you are going on Carnival, Galveston is getting a new ship very shortly in the fall. Galveston does seem to have fog issues. There is really more to do in New Orleans. I say... do them both. You really can't go wrong. Both are great.

Nancy

Funny thing, a cruise out of Tampa was fogged in about 3 weeks before Galveston had fog and didnt get in until a day late, and hardly a fuss. ...people out of Galveston seem to raise a ruckus a lot more when they get fog.

I went out of Mobile, and got back Feb 17 to pea soup fog. We were just so very lucky to be able to dock in the early hours, it must have lifted enough we got in.

Funny thing, a cruise out of Tampa was fogged in about 3 weeks before Galveston had fog and didnt get in until a day late, and hardly a fuss. ...people out of Galveston seem to raise a ruckus a lot more when they get fog.

I went out of Mobile, and got back Feb 17 to pea soup fog. We were just so very lucky to be able to dock in the early hours, it must have lifted enough we got in.

Tampa and Mobile both have fog issues...as a matter of fact, the Carnival Fascination almost didn't get into Jacksonville, FL last week due to fog! You are right that when it happens in Galveston people really do raise a ruckus. We've sailed out of Galveston many times and never had a problem. Today, it was foggy here and in Houston but Galveston had NO fog! Go figure.

The reason people probably raise more of a fuss is that the difference in city size causes a strain on resources.

Galveston is a 208 square mile island, population aprx 50K, 51 miles from the nearest large city, which is Houston. Plenty of hotel rooms in Houston. If 2 ships are waiting to get in to port due to fog, you can have a problem getting a local room. If your cruiseline doesn't tell you (because they don't know) that you WILL depart later in the day, you are sitting in the terminal waiting all day with nothing to do. If at the end of the day, the ships can't get through the channel to dock...you most likely will NOT be able to find a room to stay at in Galveston overnight, which means a drive BACK to Houston...and back the next morning to do the same thing all over again, possibly. If you are driving, you don't have to arrange TWO more expensive trips from Houston/hotel & back to the port the next morning.

I looked at Tampa & Mobile...they are both in excess of 300K population-wise, and if memory serves...have major airports within a reasonable distance.

Fogged in at the Galveston port is much like being stranded in airport during an icestorm. If I were flying to Galveston, I'd get trip insurance...and I typically don't buy insurance.

New Orleans...DOES have more to do & more,better places to eat. FLY there...but, driving...ehhhh...no place to park reasonably. I haven't heard they have fog issues very often.

The airport is closer.20 mins compared to 45-60. If Galveston has a fog issue and you are flying in, you could have real problems in the event a cruise is delayed in attempting to re-arrange flight schedules. Transfers from the airport to the ship to Galveston can get very pricey. Taxi isn't an option from Houston to Galveston...$200 one way.

Driving...the better port for those driving to port is GALVESTON. The parking situation in NOLA is much worse than Galveston. Parking at the pier in NOLA is currently $17/day, compared to $10/day. Offsite parking at Galveston can be arranged for as little as $7/day...offsite in NOLA, $12/day. Hotels in Galveston can frequently be arranged for a day prior & will offer free parking during your cruise, shuttle or taxi to the port for about $10+tips/bags. Hotels in NOLA are heavily dependent upon festivals in the spring & football games in the fall; most hotels charge for parking during the cruise.Price difference average about $150 savings for a Galveston departure.

Think the decision depends on the cruise line you are most interested in.

Carnival and Royal Caribbean are out of Galveston (R.C.will reposition to Europe in April and return to Galveston in the fall).

Carnival and NCL sail out of NOLA.

The ships have nothing to do with the closing of the port. That is the discretion of the Coast Guard. The passage is the entrance to the Houston Ship Channel (50 miles long) and all ships must enter and depart through Barbours cut. It is a matter of safety when the port is closed.

Galveston is a barrier island of approximately 81 square miles (27 miles log, 3 miles at its widest point) and has a population less than 50,000. There are numerous hotels in all price ranges in Galveston. Difficulty in finding rooms would be during Mardi Gras and the Lone Star Bike Rally in November. One does not need to drive to Houston for additional hotels as there are numerous on/near the 45 south corridor. However, I don't recall all hotel rooms being sold out in all the years living here.

The port is walking distance to the Historic Downtown Strand District and numerous restaurants. So one is not "stranded" in the middle of nowhere. Many arrive early, check in luggage and go the Strand to eat and shop prior to boarding the ship. All within a few blocks of the dock.

However, the Houston Port, should it ever re-open is out in the middle of nowhere with no pedestrian access.

We sailed out of Port Canaveral in January, layed at anchor overnight with the fog horn blowing continuously.

Fog is an issue everywhere there is water.

Two cruises back out of NO the fog was so heavy we couldn't see the bridge (less than 100 feet away) and the Spirit sailed without a problem. All the way down the river, we could never see the bank on either side and the ship never slowed down. That will never happen out of Galveston.:eek:

What occurred in NO is the responsibility of that area. We are at the Gulf which is under the jurisdiction of the Coast Guard.

Ships do not want to be anchored out or miss their dock time as additional costs are incurred by the shipping company.

Seems people spend too much time worrying about something only mother nature controls:rolleyes:

Archived