Celebrities Exciting Deals

sammyt

Are you all aware of their Exciting Deals which they have posted today? They are several hundred dollars cheaper for rooms, however, they are only good to new bookings. I wanted to upgrade, but was told I could not. I want Celebrity to know this is very unfair. Where is the loyalty to people that are repeat cruisers that have to pay hundreds more?

I think these cheaper prices should be offered to repeat customers first, then offer what is left to new bookings. This is a slap in the face to repeat cruisers, and we should let celebrity know this is unacceptable.

Are you all aware of their Exciting Deals which they have posted today? They are several hundred dollars cheaper for rooms, however, they are only good to new bookings. I wanted to upgrade, but was told I could not. I want Celebrity to know this is very unfair. Where is the loyalty to people that are repeat cruisers that have to pay hundreds more?

I would think you could cancel your current booking and book a new/upgraded cabin at the lower price?

I do agree it would be nice to offer some nice upgrades to currently booked customers though.

Having seen prices drop on last week's Exciting Deals for the April 22 Equinox I'm booked on...and of course past final payment....I have decided that I'm not booking cruises way ahead anymore. As we are retired we can cruise at any time (finances allowing!) so I think I'll just wait till 60 days out from a sailing and watch the deals.

I would think you could cancel your current booking and book a new/upgraded cabin at the lower price?.....
To prevent people from doing that, they typically wait until after the final payment date to offer these deals.

I did ask if I could cancel my booking and rebook at the lower price, and I was told sure, for a cancellation fee of $450 per person. For my A1 room, it is $600 less per person now. Its almost worth it, however, I am sure I would somehow lose my good room. It is really upsetting the way there system works. I called and complained, and of course, they don't care. Nothing we can do I am told. I will think twice about booking with Celebrity again if that is the way they feel about return cruisers! What is the incentive to continue booking cruises with them!

I have been told in the past by Celebrity that as long as it is the same ship and same sailing date, canceling and rebooking would not get me these deals either - that it would not be considered a new booking in that case. Either rules have changed or this is a typical mixed message being delivered by Celebrity representatives. Either is very possible

OK, I will jump in here with my opinion.

If your plans are flexible enough to (some or all of these may apply) then wait for the last minute deals:

• Take any of several different cruises
  • Not worried about airfare prices
  • Take a different cruise line from the same port on the same week (thus negating the airfare side of the issue - get your airfare then pick a cruise for that week later)
  • Willing to not worry about what specific room you get

On the other hand book early if (some or all of these may apply)

• If cabin selection is important to you
  • If the specific cruise itinerary is important to you
  • Airfare is involved and/or there are few ships at the port
  • You have to request your vacation time well in advance

What the cruise lines are doing is price discrimination based on demand and on the flexibility. So if price is all important, book late and hope you get the cruise/room you want or at least one that is good enough. it appears from all of the sales, the Carribean, Panama canal and Trans-Atlanitc that the cruise industry is suffering from a bit of over-capacity right now.

Although it isn't past final payment yet, but my upcoming Baltic's cruise has only gone up in price. If I were to book the airfare now, it would cost me over $500 more per person, so even if the cruise fare was lower now the total cost of the trip would probably be more. We need to plan our vacations in advance as well. I also scheduled our cruise so that I have a company Holiday during it so I could take one less day of vacation. So I am quiet happy with our price. If a Tuesday special comes out for our cruise, I won't worry about it because I can't book a last minute cruise anyway and understand that may cost more.

On the other hand my parents are retired and can go at the drop of a hat. They can wait for a good combination of airfare / cruise price. In fact they just recently did that for a Princess B2B. They are not choosy about their cabin choice or air arrangements, so waiting for a deal is good for them.

This is also similar to land vacations. Just look around and you will see really cheap last minute deals. You just have to be flexible on where you are going and where you are staying.

Hi All,

On one hand I understand the frustration but on the hand other I don't. This is a common practice with other industries, not just cruising and not just Celebrity. Look at airlines. Regardless how the price changes you normally don't get a refund. I think Southwest does or someone like that but it is not mainstream.

Two months ago I bought a new laptop. Got a decent sale and bought what I was looking for. This past weekend it was listed at $75 cheaper. Did I get a check for $75? Heck no and I didn't think I would. I already purchased what I wanted at the price I was happy with.

If I am not willing to pay for any increases in the cruise that result after I purchase then I really shouldn't expect a refund for any sales. I am surprised they actually offer refunds when the price goes down (before final payment).

Since we don't have to fly to the cruise I only book early if there is a specific cabin I want. There are risks doing it both ways.

enjoy,

Duane

One of the main incentives seems to be the ability to choose a specific cabin/area. Often the price changes (up/down) and it certainly is a gamble. Celebrity says it does take the booking date into consideration when reviewing your dining choices (table size/time). Sometimes we enjoy a table for 2 -- sometimes we enjoy a large table. That choice is worth something to us.

I did ask if I could cancel my booking and rebook at the lower price, and I was told sure, for a cancellation fee of $450 per person. For my A1 room, it is $600 less per person now. Its almost worth it, however, I am sure I would somehow lose my good room. It is really upsetting the way there system works. I called and complained, and of course, they don't care. Nothing we can do I am told. I will think twice about booking with Celebrity again if that is the way they feel about return cruisers! What is the incentive to continue booking cruises with them!

Because they deliver a great product??? ;)

The Xciting Deals has been for new bookings only for many years. It is not something new. Even when Celebrity would allow you to get a refund when there was a price drop after final payment, it did not apply if the price drop was on the Xciting Deals.

The advantage in booking early is that you get the room that you want instead of what is left over. And not all sailings come up on the Xciting Deals.

Also, I have been told the same as phoenix dream, cancelling and rebooking the same cruise would not get you a lower price as it would be not be considered a new booking.

Hi All,

On one hand I understand the frustration but on the hand other I don't. This is a common practice with other industries, not just cruising and not just Celebrity. Look at airlines. Regardless how the price changes you normally don't get a refund. I think Southwest does or someone like that but it is not mainstream.

Two months ago I bought a new laptop. Got a decent sale and bought what I was looking for. This past weekend it was listed at $75 cheaper. Did I get a check for $75? Heck no and I didn't think I would. I already purchased what I wanted at the price I was happy with.

If I am not willing to pay for any increases in the cruise that result after I purchase then I really shouldn't expect a refund for any sales. I am surprised they actually offer refunds when the price goes down (before final payment).

Since we don't have to fly to the cruise I only book early if there is a specific cabin I want. There are risks doing it both ways.

enjoy,

Duane

Well said Duane...

Frank

Hi All,

enjoy,

Duane

If we were only talking about $75 I think most of us wouldn't have a problem with Celebrity's policy. We would just suck it up and go on with life. In my case, the price drop for the two of us amounted to $1,140. This is a bit of a tough pill to swallow and it does indeed leave a bad taste in my mouth.

If they had offered the same prices 2 months ago, I would have booked Solstice instead of my upcoming Princess cruise. It's too late to cancel now, so Celebrity lost the sale for the sail. I could have had a balcony guarantee on Solstice for $100 more pp than my guarantee obstructed oceanview.

This is not anything new. It's been this way for several years. We've had the same it's fair/it's a slap in the face discussions for all that time. And nothing has changed.

Yes you can use shareholders on HH specials.

"Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off” promotions and savings certificates."

If we were only talking about $75 I think most of us wouldn't have a problem with Celebrity's policy. We would just suck it up and go on with life. In my case, the price drop for the two of us amounted to $1,140. This is a bit of a tough pill to swallow and it does indeed leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Yea, that is tough. I don't blame you for being upset. That is whole other curise :)

Duane

I agree it doesn't seem fair, but don't cruiselines do these sales to gather in those who are waiting?..After final payment I stop looking at prices on our booked cruise especially when I notice my category is sold out..why punish myself. Advantage as already mentioned is getting your choice of cabin early and locking in lower airfare.

We have cancelled and rebooked once to take advantage of the "deal". Lucky for us the ship was already slow in sales, we waited one day between to get a different agent..so easily done but definitely a gamble. And are currently holding a Nov reservation on a ship that is due for refit and not selling anything, so not expecting and reductions just hoping it stays confirmed.

As another piont..on our 2nd cruise we found a price reduction..called the TA told it wasn't possible to get the reduction. When we got our cruise ticket found that she had indeed got the reduction. Didn't give it to us and of course lost a couple of repeat customers. We learn as we go along.

Archived