BEWARE renting cabanas

babybigguy

You may be wrong on that. I've heard of many surveys (not recently, I admit) where many people couldn't tell you that Mexico was on our southern border or that Canada was to the north.

I AM NOT KIDDING.

Even when it was cold and windy on deck, the cabana was not as bad. We had the end one with glass on the side and in the front. There is a roof and a canvas curtain in the back to block the wind. We wore sweats and used one of the cashmere throws. Not bad at all!

Rather an exaggeration, wouldn't you say, Don? In this day and age, I'm sure everyone has heard of Mexico, Cuba, Puerto Rico, to say the least.

Bill

None of those countries are in South America. They are in Central America, the Caribbean, and the Caribbean respectively.

I rest my case.

DON

. I should note that we found out when we were onboard that the previous cruise (Buenos Aires to Valparaiso) was so bad - wind, rain, rough seas that one of the stops - the Falkland Islands - was avoided.

Was on the previous cruise and there was no rain in the Falkland. It was a beautiful sunny day. The dumb Captain lost his anchor.

I believe he said they lost the sunshine right away. That's what I was referring to when I said "bad weather". No doubt an overstatement on my part.

But it was "bad" in comparison to the bright sunshine we had in January 2002. Too bad there are no guarantees where weather (or seas) are concerned.

I can't help but feel that people are too eager to jump all over Babybigguy for being unhappy about the cabana's usefulness is all.

Mura, I was on this cruise. It was at worst partly cloudy (one day in the fjords) except for the day we were at the Falklands. It was drizzly the morning we came into --I think -- Ushuaia? -- but it cleared off magnificently. There were two rough sea days.

There was plenty of bright sunshine almost every day!!!! It was just colder than the OP apparently expected.

Just wanted to clarify this weather issue: Apparently we were on the same sailing with baby boy. We are reporting on the weather he experienced also.

You're kidding right? None of Cuba, Mexico , or Puerto Rico are in South America!

Of course I was kidding. It was a test to see who could tell. You passed! Now Don, on the other hand, .................. :confused: :D

Bill

Incidentally, my wife lived in Panama until she was 18. She was taught that the countries between Mexico and South America were Central America and Panama. That is to say, Panama was in a unique position between Central America and South America, but part of neither. Now that is something which should keep Wikipedia awake at night!

Bill

Indeed. So is Central America. I think that you meant to point out to Don that Mexico is not generally considered to be in Central America.

I suppose we should ask the United States where they think they are. (United States of Mexico, of course) :)

Bill

Was on the previous cruise and there was no rain in the Falkland. It was a beautiful sunny day. The dumb Captain lost his anchor.

In our case -- we left from BA -- the previous cruise couldn't land at the Falklands. It was too rough.

When we got there a few days later, it was a beautiful sunny day. In fact, our captain said it was the best weather he'd ever seen there.

This seems to be a common problem ... luck is in the draw.

Mura

In our case -- we left from BA -- the previous cruise couldn't land at the Falklands. It was too rough.

When we got there a few days later, it was a beautiful sunny day. In fact, our captain said it was the best weather he'd ever seen there.

This seems to be a common problem ... luck is in the draw when it comes to the Falklands.

Mura

The systems tells me I have a duplicate post (the first one just spun around and around) and will direct back ...

And then leaves them both here!

I'd delete one of them if I could!

Mura, I've had the "hang up" problem causing a dual post too. I just go in and edit the second post with an "oops, dual post. sorry" The empty post is still there, but at least people know you are aware of it.

This akin to buying a convertible if you live in Nunavit and then taking legal action against BMW because you never get to put the top down!!!
Where's the Like button ?!?!?! There's no Like button :D

ROTFLMAO ........ Where's the Like button ?!?!?! There's no Like button :D

I'm attaching an excerpt from a review I wrote after a 30 day B2B on Insignia from Valparaiso to Rio a couple of years back. Please note who takes the responsibility for booking a cabana on this trip!

"Dumbest thing we did – O ships have “Cabanas”. There are 8 of them, top forward, which give a private space with a forward view. These are somewhat controversial because they block off this area from other passengers. Since our cabin was in the stern, we rented one of these for the cruise to give us a forward view – big mistake - $1250 for 47 minutes of occupancy. Oh well, live and learn!"

Mura, I've had the "hang up" problem causing a dual post too. I just go in and edit the second post with an "oops, dual post. sorry" The empty post is still there, but at least people know you are aware of it.

I realize that, too! It just irritates me that I have to go that route when SO MANY message board systems allow you a "delete" option. I think it would be good to have the delete anyway because sometimes we say things that later we wish we hadn't!

As it is, we are limited to a certain restricted time to make even a correction ... and I don't have that problem on my other lists. (So if you wish to retract a statement and you are timed out, you cannot say "oops"! And if you don't realize you've made a double post immediately, you also can't say "oops".)

Oh well. What is, IS.

In the future I will just do as you all say (assuming I can), and I will still be irritated at the need! Some things bother me that don't bother anybody else. I'm sure we all fit into that category in SOME respect.

Sigh ...

Regarding the now dreaded cabana issue, let it be known that I object to them on principle since the hoi polloi (that is everybody else) is denied a prime view on the top deck. However, people have been castigated (rightly or wrongly I won't say) for not having realized that on a particular itinerary the odds of your being able to use that cabana are pretty poor.

But it's also true that even when you are on an itinerary where weather should be good -- you can't count on that happening!

Since I've never taken up the option of the cabana I have forgotten how it works, but I THINK you have to reserve it for the whole cruise. Is that right?

If that IS right, then I never would reserve it ... no matter what the itinerary or time of year ... because I know --my luck being what it is -- that I'd be wasting a lot of money. Maybe not all of it, but at least some of it!

I must be right, come to think of it, since we never have!

Best wishes to all ...

mura

Even when it was cold and windy on deck, the cabana was not as bad. We had the end one with glass on the side and in the front. There is a roof and a canvas curtain in the back to block the wind. We wore sweats and used one of the cashmere throws. Not bad at all!

I still want a heater like at outdoor restaurants, but only if it is safe.

Archived