Bermuda vs. Southern Itinerary

Alegeeter

Hey all,

My family is looking into booking a cruise for this summer. We want to go somewhere we haven't been and I think I've found two good options. If you could offer any input, that would be great!

Option 1: Norwegian Gem out of NY to Bermuda - In Bermuda for 3 days.

Option 2: Carnival Victory out of San Juan (St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Lucia)

Pricing it out, they are about the same price with everything included (keeping in mind that while the Victory is significantly cheaper we have to factor in airfare. We are from NY so no airfare necessary with the Gem).

We like both itineraries, as they are both something new and different. We've done the more typical "spring break" ports.

Factoring in the whole experience (the ship is a factor but the ports are moreso), which would you prefer?

Anything you can offer will be paid back in many thanks!

I enjoyed Bermuda a ton. Especially since we got married there, but I really want to go back. There's a lot to do on the island and it's beautiful. I do like that southern one also, so it's a tough call. I think the Bermuda one would be more of a "vacation" due to the fact you're not rushed spending 1 day on the island. You can take your time and do more then 1 specific thing.

how active do you all want to be?

just those twp extra days of travel makes the bermuda run that much more attractive.

i have done bermuda 5 times, and the southern caribbean twice. we just felt we needed a vacation after that southern trip. but we enjoyed it still.

but bermuda is a place i would go every year, and would even consider moving to if i had the $$, and residency.

We sailed the NCL Gem from NYC to the southern Caribbean in 2009. The Gem is a beautiful ship. We sailed on the Victory when she was new ten years ago and the Victory was a nice ship then. If I were picking between the two I would choose the Gem, but I would sail the Victory again.

I'd prefer cruising to Bermuda over the southern Caribbean in summer. The Caribbean is hot enough in February and March, too hot for me in summer. Bermuda is just gorgeous and having three days to explore offers an opportunity to really get a feel for the place.

For me this is an easy choice, NCL Gem to Bermuda! :)

Its the same price, minus airfare, i guess it depends on airfare if it is reasonable this is really a no brainer for me id do the southern itinierary, it is amazing, ive never been to bermuda but 5 Islands over 1 is going to win for me everytime. Ill be going on my second trip on the Victory in 3 days! My Airfare from JFK was 304pp RT non stop, through jetblue, so you can find good airfare out there, just keep checking!

I would choose Bermuda. Our first cruise ever was to Bermuda on an RCCL ship. We had three days to explore the island, and there was still so much we didn't get to see. It was great not being rushed, and the ship was like our floating hotel. It is so beautiful there, and the people are extremely friendly. It's one of the few places we've gone that we are dying to visit again.

We are thinking of doing one of the Bermuda runs this Fall on Carnival Pride out of Baltimore, since it is our closest home port.

For whatever it is worth we were going to take the Gem to Bermuda but found that the Miracle was leaving the same day and for same price could get Balcony on Miracle and inside on Gem.

To top it off Miracle was 8 days not 7.

Although the Southern Caribbean is on my list of cruises to do....Bermuda is fabulous....I've been there 3 times and we are taking the 8-day cruise on the Miracle this fall!! (the price of the Miracle cruise is fantastic!!)

Bermuda is beautiful....and it is soooo nice to be in the same port for 3 days! No rushing to get off or on the ship, plenty to do and see, beautiful beaches....for approx $28pp you can get unlimited transportation on the ferry and bus system...(maybe cheaper for kids)...there are forts, lighthouses and more to explore....the people are super nice and the island is very clean....they have a very nice aquarium, museum & zoo (all together) for approx $10pp...a great way to spend an afternoon...it's all very relaxed and like I said earlier, no rushing...

I cruised NCL to Bermuda...twice from Boston and once from NYC...do you have to drive to NYC?? We live 5 hours from NYC and Boston...Boston was cheaper to park the car...

Thanks for all the input all, very helpful!!

Clarification:

The Southern Itinerary + the airfare to get there is roughly the same price as the Bermuda cruise alone (it's actually a bit cheaper believe it or not!)

We would be spending the same amount wherever we decide to go, which is why I came to the experts, you guys.

Looks like Bermuda wins hands down!

I'll miss Carnival, but it'll be nice to try a new line, and, if the Southern Itinerary is always that cheap, I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

@AnitaVacation - No need to drive. I actually live in Boston (just moved here) but the rest of the family is home in NY. I tried to bring up the Boston Bermuda idea, which is a bit cheaper for the days we want but not much. It's just easier for 1 person to travel to NY than to have 3 come up to Boston. Plus, the Gem is newer than the Dawn for whatever that's worth. We live in Brooklyn and are just a quick subway ride away (though I imagine we'd take a cab to the port the morning of). That's the other appealing part to the Bermuda itinerary. We get to essentially walk out of the house and start our vacation, no stress or hassle of flying.

Archived