All things EARTH...

Hey y'all! I just got back from Ulta. I picked purple for a nail color!! I didn't think I would end up going through with it but I did. I love to have my nails and toes match. I also know that it is common for them not to match these days. I decided to match but I went with a bolder color, and I might put a Jamberry print on either the big or little toe.

I think it is time for a little fun.

I started packing yesterday and I have room to spare. At first I thought I overlooked something and then I realized a jersey long dress takes up

Way less space than a lined taffeta one does.

Mousey, I have looked in Forever 21 quite a few times and see a lot of cute things. But with my chest size...

I love a good sale though. And animal prints!

My daughter is going to buy me Naked 3 eyeshadow for Christmas. They are neutrals but I think there is enough color to give a good bronze type look. I also got a cheap kit with some various colors to try. I can see how they work.

I will make sure to take a picture of my manicure Friday night.

Margaret, I would take the same cruise again. For starters, it was drastically shortened so you didn't get to most of the ports. Secondly, if you like the itinerary, why not?

I would wear that dress to the wedding also. If it were strapless, I'd say maybe not. I love that dress.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Happy All Hallow's Eve Eve!

I've been so out of it! I am still recovering from being ill. DS got sick and was home with me...I thought he caught what I had been struggling with...but no...he had something new...and I caught that a bit...on top of whatever I was dealing with before...and the thing that is so frustrating is that I think nothing is really that bad except that I think I'm dealing with allergies and that is making it all worse. I can breathe during the day, pretty good, but I'm so fatigued...and at night, I can't breathe so good. Rest hasn't been good. But enough...

Anyway, that's why I've been MIA.

Laurie, I hope your ear is better. Sounds like you got some fun product at Ulta...and I wanted to be sure to wish you a Bon Voyage! Even though I know you have a few more days left...I hope that you have a very fun getaway. I'm looking forward to seeing all your outfits in action.

Play with the makeup for sure. And even if you don't post here...take a photo, especially in a darker color. It is so surprising how dark our (EARTH ladies) eyeshadow can be and still look natural...in fact, we need that darker color to look natural...all those lighter colors stand out way too much in a not good way...those are for our FIRE sisters, not us. I totally agree with Margaret...that lighter creamy color is a NO GO. I've found that my highlight color can't be any lighter than a kind of rich apricot/peach color or a camel kind of tan/brown.

Barbara...I have opinions on your hair too! LOL. I was thinking that you should go for an two tone type look. But not the vertical ombre kind...the kind where the hair around your face is one color and then it fades into the a different color for the majority of your hair? I really like the deeper color near to your face...but I think you enjoy a lighter color hair overall. So I was thinking that you could pursue a kind of rusty colored red (deep copper) near your face? Or a nice not too dark brown with copper in there? And blend that into a golden blonde around the back.

And I was thinking that if you just concentrated on the frame of your face, then the upkeep wouldn't be quite as bad. KWIM? I know maintaining red is the hardest...so maybe if you took advantage of today's multi-colored hair, it wouldn't be quite so bad.

OR you could try and do the tops of your hair? Like a layer on the top? Go around your face and grab some on either side down your part? So that the top of your hair was some red blending into the golden blonde underneath?

If you do a search for "punk two toned hair" then you can see several different examples. Ombre is the trendy version of two toned hair...but if you add that "punk", then you can see more of the edgy look that I think you could have a lot of fun with. Anything goes really, and you can even grab some of the darker brown/red for the longest deepest hair? More of the deep copper for around your face...and golden blonde on top? IDK...I would have fun with it.

I think if you could get your hair a bit more edgy, then you would be able to have a lot more fun with the EARTH color palette. You could still do black bottoms...but grab some of the deeper EARTH colors for around your face...deep purple/plum, army green, rust...

I realize today that style is really all in how you wear what you are wearing. It's "Nerd Day" for red ribbon week at DS' school. He grabbed a shirt that he normally wears (plaid long sleeved) and a pair of khaki's (which he normally wears as part of his chorus uniform or for a non-jeans wearing occasion). Tuck it in. Button it up. Belt. Glasses. Pocket protector. He was a classy nerd. Not a goofy nerd. For his normal style...jeans...untucked plaid shirt...somewhat unbuttoned with undershirt/tee-shirt...contacts...no pocket protector (lol). It's all in how you wear something...

Which is why I agree that anyone can shop in just about any store. While the majority of stores have a target market...it isn't exclusive. Forever 21 has some great, inexpensive foundation type clothing (camis, tanks, shirts, leggings, skirts, etc.) and fun trendy clothing in a wide, wide range of styles. The hardest thing about shopping in that store is looking at all the teeny boppers in there as well...and resisting the mental comparisons that will try to come on you. So you have to get your mental game going...I could apply a somewhat rude expression here...but let's just say that you have to think of yourself as the HOT Mom (whether or not you are a Mom)...and know that you can take current fashion and wear it with your own sense of style...not the way the young things do...the way YOU do. And maybe your wardrobe isn't comprised completely with trendy clothing...but you are able to grab this or that and wear it to be current.

It think that is the key. The young things that are still developing might be trendy head to toe. It's fine for them...generally, they might still be growing...they need new clothes every year anyway...so they might as well have fun with the trends, experiment and have a good time figuring out what they like and don't like. But you would expect that someone with more experience in life has developed their tastes and favorites, knows what looks good on them, how they want to present themselves to the world...their STYLE so to speak...and the great majority of their wardrobe would have more longevity...dressing outside the trends and with personal style...investing in clothing a bit more to get a better cost per wear. And the accents in their wardrobe would be a take on a trend/silhouette...so that their look is current without being trendy.

I think current is the word that we look for...and when a woman of experience looks too trendy...then the impression is that they are "trying to hard" or dressing too young. I think because we expect more personality to come through with experience/years...whatever that is...and when you negate that by blanking yourself out into current trends...then you look a bit lost...when really, lessons learned should be shining through in your appearance.

mousey...sorry to hear you were so ill. And Barbara...sorry to hear you had to go to the hospital.

Margaret...I think you should go on that same cruise. You know the area a bit now. There are many museums in Houston...you could return to the one you went to, or visit another one. You a familiar with the itinerary...and you didn't really get to do it. I agree with Mom, it'll be a new experience even if it feels like something of a repeat...you can't ever really repeat anything, even if you wanted to...so it will be a new experience no matter what.

I got my hair cut last Wednesday. It looks pretty similar to a cut I've had in the past. The hair that was trimmed in late March with a size 3 clipper is now to my jawline. That's about 4 inches long from under .25". Seven months...that's growing over half an inch a month...yeah. I'm so not going to pay for the upkeep of shorter hair. But I'm liking this do a lot...I think I might maintain it for a bit...

Margaret , Great dress ! Perfect for a wedding !

Laurie , Anita & Mousey Hope you all get better soon !

We have been having a busy few weeks . Today I realized our cruise is only three weeks away & I have no idea of what I am taking . I have a vague idea but nothing concrete .

Mousey , I agree with you about trying different stores but some stores are just not me . Unlike you I could not pull off Forever 21 without looking odd . I also could not wear Afred Dunner without looking odd . I stick to mostly JJill , Talbott's & Lands End (especially for bathing suits ) which living in Florida I wear a lot . I am also 68 ,5'5" and a medium build .

Laurie , Have a great trip ! The weather in Florida right now is perfect low 80 , no humidity .

Hi ladies, hope everyone is well or getting better. I went to the dr today for a nagging hip, yup, I've pulled the hip flexor tendon :(. We leave in 30 days & have already booked Mayan ruin hikes--I will get to the top! Good drugs, arnica gel & alternating heat/ice for a couple of weeks. You know you're getting older when your dr says "you know you're not 40 any longer..."

Margaret, love the dress, Laurie have fun on your cruise, hope ear improves, you'll love the Naked Decay eyes. Sally, have fun on your cruise, I can't do Forever 21 either, stick mostly with Chicos. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by awhfy

Happy Halloween everyone!

I got a treat already today -- we booked the Houston cruise. Yay! We got a sale, got some freebies, got a great cabin.

We have last minute house guests, so I'm cleaning up a storm. Red wine and steak with Bordeaux sauce on the menu... yum. No time for makeup today, I'm lucky I even did my hair!

Yay for a new cruise booked, Margaret! When do you go?

How was everyone's Halloween? We had quite a few more kids than in recent years, so it made it fun. We live in a portion of the subdivision that only has one story homes, and I think that's part of the reason why we don't have very many kids living in this area. The majority of the kids seem to come from the two story homes. But last night we had well over 100 kids which is really a lot for us. DH and I sat on our front porch (we actually have one... lol) and handed out candy and watched the kids. I especially love the little ones. They were adorable and really made my night.

This morning I started going through some of my clothes (I have a mess in my closet right now) but just wasn't feeling quite up to the massive clothes purge. I need to do it but I seriously need a new body and perhaps a team to help me. LOL.

I found a bunch of pictures of my hair in different colors/stages but I can't seem to get them loaded on here. They were on my phone but I think I need to load them to some intermediate photo site. I tried through Facebook, but that simply didn't work. I like to think I'm technologically intelligent but this proves I am not. Haha. I will work on it and see if I can figure it out.

Hope everyone is having an awesome Saturday!!!

Hey there! We board tomorrow and have had a lovely few days in Port Canaveral. It's been rather cool here. Yesterday was extremely windy but today is better. Cococay and Nassau are expected to be mid 70s.

You can't see the color too well but it is Opi Skating on Thin Iceland, I think it is called.

ImageUploadedByForums1414976888.276302.jpg.d5a4cf55f0e8b2d978932cd80bb3e711.jpg

Hey there! We board tomorrow and have had a lovely few days in Port Canaveral. It's been rather cool here. Yesterday was extremely windy but today is better. Cococay and Nassau are expected to be mid 70s.

You can't see the color too well but it is Opi Skating on Thin Iceland, I think it is called.

[ATTACH]329966[/ATTACH]

Here's wishing you an awesome cruise! Do tell when you get back how everything went! Love the nail color!:D

Edited by mousey

Happy Halloween everyone!

I got a treat already today -- we booked the Houston cruise. Yay! We got a sale, got some freebies, got a great cabin.

We have last minute house guests, so I'm cleaning up a storm. Red wine and steak with Bordeaux sauce on the menu... yum. No time for makeup today, I'm lucky I even did my hair!

So happy about your Houston cruise. Hope all goes well this time around! Know it will!:D

Yay for a new cruise booked, Margaret! When do you go?

How was everyone's Halloween? We had quite a few more kids than in recent years, so it made it fun. We live in a portion of the subdivision that only has one story homes, and I think that's part of the reason why we don't have very many kids living in this area. The majority of the kids seem to come from the two story homes. But last night we had well over 100 kids which is really a lot for us. DH and I sat on our front porch (we actually have one... lol) and handed out candy and watched the kids. I especially love the little ones. They were adorable and really made my night.

This morning I started going through some of my clothes (I have a mess in my closet right now) but just wasn't feeling quite up to the massive clothes purge. I need to do it but I seriously need a new body and perhaps a team to help me. LOL.

I found a bunch of pictures of my hair in different colors/stages but I can't seem to get them loaded on here. They were on my phone but I think I need to load them to some intermediate photo site. I tried through Facebook, but that simply didn't work. I like to think I'm technologically intelligent but this proves I am not. Haha. I will work on it and see if I can figure it out.

Hope everyone is having an awesome Saturday!!!

I'm so excited! I got my hair cut short and colored w/highlights two days ago and I'm so happy with how it turned out. I now have dark blonde hair with honey highlights and I got my natural curl back! Oh happy, happy. I had let my hair grow so long that the weight of it kept my hair from curling but when my hairdresser begged me to let her chop off about 3 inches and I agreed (it took a few minutes to decide...but I went for it)...it looks awesome! I'm so excited. I was planning to wear a lot of hats on this week's trip to Rochester, but now I don't have too unless I want to. Yea!

Chollachick, I hope you find a color and style that makes you as happy as I am with mine. I'm just overjoyed with how it all turned out and the DH loves it! The ultimate plus! LOL!

Edited by mousey

Barbara, we're doing a Western Caribbean out of Houston for spring break, which will be in March. We picked it for the snorkeling in Belize and Roatan, because that is our favorite activity. I'm so happy to have a vacation in the calendar!

CruiseCritic has a size limit for photos, so maybe that is your issue? I always shrink mine first, then post to Photobucket, then post here. It is a bit time consuming but it works for me.

mousey, your description of your hair sounds fabulous! Three inches is definitely a big change! Don't you feel just generally happier when your hair looks good? I always do. I admit it. I am anti-social when my hair is not working.

I hope Laurie is having tons of fun. I hope Anita feels better soon. I am a little concerned that we haven't heard from her in a while.

No worries. I'm fine...mostly. I've been trying to get some long awaited sewing projects done! Especially Kim's skirts! One is almost done and it is fabulous...and I do say so. I like to think that I'm a detail oriented person...and usually I am...but I can also tend to push through and work longer on some projects than I should...kind of like reading a book...sometimes, I just keep reading...I can't stand it...and I'll be up way too late reading, even when I should go to bed.

Anyway...I've been very disciplined with myself, really paying attention to what I'm doing working on this precious fabric. And it has been so much fun...I sent Kim some photos of the almost done skirt...ya'll will have to wait...but so fun. Everyone is going to want to get fabric for a souvenir...I'm tellin' ya.

I never chimed in...Margaret, I think that dress will be fine in the winter. It will be challenging to warm it up...I find myself struggling with this concept...needing to have more coverage above. The legs are fine, but my arms can get cool. I wish I had advice to offer, but I don't. I'd like to figure out something for the dress you gave me too...

I'm sure we've talked about this before...the Galveston itinerary is what we did on Mariner of the Seas in March 2012. Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. Someone else is doing this in November? You WILL get to do it this time Margaret!

It's scarf season! I've been having a very fun time wearing my new green vest with all my different scarfs. It makes such a difference to have a scarf on with outerwear. Even if you take it off when you take off your outerwear...outerwear needs some pizzazz.

I've been making a concentrated effort to wear those Minnetonka booties that I got last year? My problem is that my pant style doesn't really lend itself to the bootie style...I've been thinking that I need another pair of street sneakers. Something simple and colorful. Would it be weird to match my vest and get green? Green seems to go so well with most of my cool weather clothes...

Our Halloween was cold, rainy, and windy. We holed up inside and pretended we weren't home!

mousey...your hair sounds fun! I find that it makes such a difference in the way I feel about myself when I like my hair...it makes my clothes seem better too. IDK...I thinks that's pretty normal...

Sure hope Laurie is having good weather...

I'm the one doing Roatan, Belize & Cozumel on Royal Navigator. Never been to any of these places or on Royal--totally new experience. Booked Lamani Ruins in Belize, never do ship excursions & this is a ship excursion... I pulled my hip flexor tendon last week, so climbing the ruins might really be fun--ha. Doing Nachi Cocum in Cozumel.

Scarves really change the entire look of an outfit. I traveled extensively for work & could do a 3 week trip with 2 suits (& a good dry cleaner), 5 shirts (I spill), jeans & a blazer (Wore that combo on plane with a black shirt & scarf) black heels, black flat Eccos & 6-8 scarves, always carryon (the guys loved me cause I carried my own stuff & always drove the rental cars). I take more than that for a 7 day cruise now! Melody

Edited by awhfy

I also hope Laurie is having good weather . We had been having perfect weather and then a cold front went through .It is getting warmer now but another front is coming through later this week . We went to a Halloween party . I found an old pair of my scrubs so I went as a nurse and I bandaged Gary up & used tattoo scars & fake blood . We had a good time . We are cruising in 18 days & I finally wrote a list & am already modifying it . Anita , I loved your Mom's review . It really made me feel like I was there enjoying that great food .

I too hope Laurie is having a great time.

Yep it's a fact we all usually feel better when we like how our hair looks on any given day. It's unusual how much the DH had been complementing my hair. He's like,"This is how I like your hair best."; "I love the color, you should make sure your hairdresser remembers what colors she used."; I love how your hair makes the shape of your face stand out...I love the shape of your face."; and finally, "Don't grow your hair long again, I love it like this."

So, with all those compliments from a guy that in the past hardly ever had anything to say when I'd cut my hair except maybe..."Oh yeah, it looks nice."...I'm so thrilled!

So I'll be taking way less hats on my trip tomorrow. I'll be gone for a week and it seems like every time I check the weather in Rochester...it's getting colder and colder. But I'm prepared and ready to go!

I'll check back in with everyone when I get back from our trip. Keep your fingers crossed for the DS's big interview on Monday. They sent him an itinerary and they've booked him up from 10a to 4p. He'll be in interviews and meeting everyone in the company all the way up to the last meeting of the day with the CEO of the company. They're taking him to lunch and wow...just grilling the kid. But the DH's cousin, who set up this special interview) says they are all great guys and that the DS will have a nice time with them. Please keep your fingers crossed...this is a chance of a lifetime for the DS. They want to groom him over the next few years and have him take over a new office they are planning to open in LA. They may also help him with money for his MBA. So again, please keep those fingers and toes crossed!

See ya when I get back!:D

Edited by mousey

Hijacking this fab thread to announce our twin granddaughters arrived this morning! A bit early and about 4 lbs each

Son and wife are tired but excited

Our first grand babies :)

Will see them later!

Am an Ice but love all you ladies here:D

Hijacking this fab thread to announce our twin granddaughters arrived this morning! A bit early and about 4 lbs each

Will see them later!

Congrats! Nothing like grands to keep a smile on your face!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Will see them later!

So glad you shared with us! How wonderful! Congratulations. Babies are so special, so precious...especially new borns. I can't imagine twins myself...but what fun for grands! 4 pounds is pretty good for twins...awwwww.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Here's an odd share...it's re: men's wear.

We got a great catalog this week. The company is Charles Tyrwhitt...supposedly a London company. They have a great variety of men's clothing. It would appear that the quality is very good. They have a variety of fits, especially for men's dress shirts. And they are having a great sale right now. All the men's dress shirts are $29.95.

You have to type the address in properly. I tried to bring up the website and just send Mom a link, but that blanked out the great sale price offered to me in the catalog.

http://www.ctshirts.com/MYLO

I can't vouch for this at all. It just looks very good.

mousey...you mentioned an interview for your DS? I understand not wanting to give too many details. I hope that goes well. I don't know if he would be needing some nice dress shirts.

All for all the other DHs, DSs, GDSs, etc...just trying to pass this along...

The catalog says the sale is for the "Next 10 Days Only" but the fine print in my catalog says the sale runs until midnight 11 January, 2015. And of course, they reserve the right to change their prices at any time...

Also...JJill is having a great sale on outerwear that starts today. 25% off. They sent me a $20 off code too. I'm in a big debate because I could use a full on coat...but I decided to get myself some knee high boots yesterday. I'm torn regarding the green pea coat though! I can't believe that there is such a good green...real green...not army green! What to do?

I finally found a style in a wide calf that I think is just fabulous. And they're BROWN...OMG. I've been trying to make the little moccasin booties that I bought work...and they just don't. I'm trying to not be too upset with myself, but I realize that they aren't really in keeping with my SS. And I don't have the right kinds of pants to go with them. These boots that I've purchased will really help give me some good cool weather clothes options. I'll share what they are if they work.

And for everyone working on their SS...all us seasonal ladies...if you are struggling, please remember that I struggled so long too. It took me 4 years to get through that thing. I just had to work on it and put it away...work some more...put away. Granted, some of my life situations (I've moved four times since getting that book...one being an interstate move.) haven't been too conducive to working on that book...but still. Just keep after it...likely, you will find that your SS will reflect your process.

I have to try my hats on again with my new haircut. Especially the one orange one that became my favorite...when I tried to wear it after getting the more pixie like cut...you couldn't see my hair at all...which wasn't a good look...

I'm back! We are still settling on but I will be back. I am hoping to give a pictodiary the way that Anita and Pam both have. It was a fun trip, complete with many giggles and a few oops moments.

I came back to snow flurries and 33 degrees. Mousey, if you haven't left yet, pack lots of sweaters!

I've bought Tyrwhitt shirts for DH. Superb quality & fit. That's a stupendous price! Thanks for sharing. Just received the LL Bean catalog, some lovely greens in it Anita.