All things EARTH...

Bought another cute pair of sneakers...totally not Earth...but they go very well with my exercise related clothing, which I'm wearing everyday now for my physical therapy. I don't need super supportive sneakers for my PT...these go very well with my fav exercise capris and make me smile:

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-layla-sneakers/-/A-16292350#prodSlot=large_1_18

They are more gray and white...like snow leopard...not black...

Target has a HUGE selection of sneakers right now...in all different colors and patterns.

OMG...so there is a great online sale vs. the store price...AND additional savings on buying more than one...going to return the store bought ones...and I ordered this pair too:

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-layla-sneakers/-/A-16292364#prodSlot=_1_20

I've learned! You have to get these things while you can...

Edited by Anita Latte

Ugh. I hate typing on a little keyboard. I much prefer to use my laptop, like I am now!

Those sneakers are really cute, Anita. They look they are quite comfortable. I think that if they go with our workout clothes and other attire, then they are a good choice for you.

I am really determined I want to get the earthiest workout clothes I can, but I never see them. I do have two pairs of brown yoga pants that I wear at home. One pair is much better suited for exercise than the other. The other pair I would say is fine if I'm doing some walking or lounging, but that is it.

I am used to wearing my regular clothes for exercising. That probably sounds weird, but up until I gained all that weight (thyroid and asthma) I was a HUGE walker. I walked all over. I did a rapid, big stride kind of walking, not the short stepped speed walking. I did this every single night, or I was on the treadmill at about the same pace. It worked really well for me.

Now that my husband and I are pretty certain we are joining a fitness center, I think I will do much better to serve the function better. I received a One Hanes Place catalog today and was shocked to see how much an exercise bra costs. I'm concerned they'll never hold the girls in place either. :eek:

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, Anita.

I tried to take a selfie to show you my hair and new glasses It's a so-so picture, but I think you will get the idea:

9407051F-A421-4E2B-A206-48679909E5C8_zps0840nh76.jpg

The glasses are not that dark, even though they seem to be in the picture. I think they are better suited to my face than the last pair, but I always have trouble getting it right. I think a lot of it has to do with not having my glasses on when trying frames...I don't see them that well, lol.

This is the darker pair that I'm having trouble getting used to. I'm worried they are too big? Maybe I'm just not used to wearing them?

F37530F8-606A-498A-B1C1-10E50A6D134E_zps8jjkaqun.jpg

I also tried to get a selfie of a new dress, and I didn't do too great of a job with it. You really can't see the color, and I forgot to take off the necklace I wore to work so you could see the V-neck and all.

58E1B99C-F9E3-47CA-9C41-613D26D8F45F_zpsn6nuqh4w.jpg

I ended up getting this for $18.00 and some change, and hemmed and hawed until I put on my bronze sandals. I am not "over the moon" about the dress but I do like it and can already think of wearing it on the next cruise and to my Christmas party and so forth.

Here is the Kohl's link:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1989668/jennifer-lopez-lurex-twist-front-sheath-dress-womens.jsp

Nice frames and hair Laurie! I like the frames a lot...they feel a bit more like mine in that the frames seem to blend into the coloring of your hair. I think you got a good a shape, too.

This is my exercise bra of choice (and where I bought it):

http://www.barenecessities.com/wacoal-maximum-control-sports-bra--855170_product.htm?pf_id=Wacoal855170&search=

I love the wires on the outside of the bra...you can really get that correct fit where the wires lay flat against your body and do not cut into your cup area at all. The wires are kind of double wrapped too because they are completely covered on the outside of the bra...and then the cup part of the bra is actually like one of the uni-bust kind of bras with that whole part being one piece of fabric...and the wires give that part shape. It's hard to describe, but the point is that the wires are first wrapped for themselves...and then the bra part itself is like another lining, preventing any kind of cutting into you.

The shoulder straps are also very adjustable in a very permanent kind of way. It's like the straps have a ladder on them and you put the clip into the slot that is the proper size for you...so the straps do not get longer than you want while wearing the bra like some others might because of movement/sweat.

The wide part around the torso and under the shoulders is very comfortable as well.

The bridge of the bra is very tall...so you have to get used to that...

All in all though...the bra is the most important piece of clothing that you can wear when you exercise. It's a hard working piece of equipment that needs to be able to withstand some serious movement (especially if you use your arms or do core work) while holding it's own shape in such a way that is comfortable while holding YOU in shape, also in a way that's comfortable.

And yes, exercise bras are very expensive, but they are SO worth it.

It's very important, more than ever, for your bra size to be accurate. Most women are wearing a bra that is too big around the torso and too small in the cup. Mom found a great web site for figuring out your bra size...do you remember that one Mom? You had to measure yourself in many different ways (pulling as tight as possible, leaning over, lying down...I don't remember exactly). You should only be able to get two fingers under the back of your bra. It's not unusual for a proper bra to leave marks around your torso (but not wire marks in your actual girls) and the wires should lay completely FLAT on your body...including in between. The shoulder straps should not leave any marks at all...they are only there to keep the front part of your bra flat above your girls, so they support the BRA but not the girl...if you follow that.

I say all this because these bras are an investment and you want them to be as comfortable as possible. The right bra can seriously make all the difference in the world in how your exercise experience feels...because poor support can cause some soreness and even pain AFTER the work out...and too tight can make your workout difficult...and any poor fit can cause chaffing (arm pit area) depending on what you are doing in the gym.

Because all my work outside the house involves exercise...I have an absolute TON of exercise clothing. I have very, very few EARTH colored exercise clothes. Brown is not a popular color...neither is tan. I end up going with charcoal gray a lot. And black of course. Mostly, my exercise clothing is where I choose to pick out colors that I enjoy while I wait and hope to ever find Earth colors. So I have a very bright, almost neon red/orange pullover and a neon lime green one! They make me smile.

The colors I have been able to find...orange, a muted aqua, and brown shirts. Some of the purple Curves shirts have me wondering if they are Earth...I also grabbed some of the Earth colored Zumba releases when they came out...

Cute glasses, cute shoes, cute dresses! Lots of fun stuff. Laurie, I'm so happy for you that you are looking good and getting healthy. You look younger, as well, I think.

I had a favorite sports bra, and they discontinued it. I still haven't found a replacement that makes me happy. I second Anita's advice about paying up for a good one. I've been waiting for the weather to clear before I get a new pair of Zumba shoes, but I finally couldn't take it anymore and bought another pair of Rykas. I'm SO glad I did. I knew my shoes were losing support, but I had no idea how much they weren't working for me anymore. So, invest in good shoes, too.

Anita, have you heard of salsa choke (choke-ah)? We learned one in Zumba this week. I look like a giant white girl doing it. :) I just don't have the feel of it yet, at all.

I'm so glad I double checked all my paperwork today. It turns out our hotel in Houston lost our reservation and we had to find a different one. The weather is supposed to be low 70s and rainy, so it turned out well because I chose one with a gym this time. I tend to wake early, and with the time change it will give me something to do if I'm up at 6am, especially if it's raining and I can't take a walk.

My suitcase is packed and it weighs 45 pounds. I know I am taking too much but I can't decide what to leave behind. I guess a tank top or pair of shorts too many won't matter in the long run. I think that once I get to my goal weight and my choices are more long-term, I might focus more on buying formals with which I can wear the same pair of shoes. Shoe planning is so important, and I like how versatile Laurie's bronze sandals are. I find that I tend to buy formal shoes, and perhaps sandals would make more sense for traveling as they are lighter and pack smaller.

It's going to be low 40s and snowing when we leave, and cold again when we return, so I have to rethink my travel clothes. I will probably wear my turquoise packable down jacket, a long sleeve top, and brown pants with my Coach sneakers. I have a LeSportsac for my carryon which I'll also use as a beach bag. I like that I can rinse it out in the sink and it dries quickly.

Have I said how sick I am of winter? Will it ever end?? I just try to remember that a week from today I will be on West Bay Beach. :D

on my toes:

OPI San Tan-Tonio

http://www.beautyencounter.com/buy/opi-nail-laquer-texas-collection/945681/232656?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=froogle&utm_content=945681&CAWELAID=120178920000073473&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120178920000249790&cadevice=c&gclid=CMf13O26tMQCFUUvgQode7gAPw

with a light topcoat of Sinful Colors in All About You:

http://nail-lacquer.co.uk/sinful-colors-all-about-you-swatches/

fingers:

clear polish with French tip in Sally Hansen Go for the Gold:

http://www.staciesayzso.com/2014/12/notd-sally-hansen-go-for-gold-insta-dri.html

My fingernails are really short, and this is actually a very subtle look that is easy to repair in transit.

Fun colors Margaret!!

Glitter is so fun...a bit of a pain to take off when it is time to take off...but so fun to wear in the meantime. I think a token bottle of silver glitter was thrown into some order that Mom made...and I have it now...it isn't super silver-y...I haven't tried it much but I was thinking about doing it to see how silvery it really is. I need to give some attn to my nails...I was just wondering what colors to do...I don't have much in a more neutral kind of color, like your tan and gold...most of mine are full on color...Right now, I just need to pick colors that I'm in the mood to wear...I'll think more seriously about what would work best with my travel wardrobe when I get closer to making those decisions.

Anita, I've been thinking about that tank a lot. I was thinking of taking a quick look in the store before ordering it online, but I don't think they have it. I think I would have noticed it right off, you know?

Margaret, I love your nail color choices. Quite a few times, I wanted a really nice metallic gold, but couldn't find one at the nail salon while getting my nails done. I'm really rough on polish, even on vacation. For the upcoming cruise, I will go with a gel manicure. The downside to that is that it really makes a mess of your nails. I have wondered if they have a way of getting the gel nail polish off? I generally end up peeling it off and that isn't a good thing.

Those choices will go so well with just about anything! I'm always caught when it comes to colors. I love a strong color, but really want to try a true metallic gold. I think I will finalize my dress choices first.

I've started to look at exercise clothing, because I really am determined to do this. I find it interesting....my "athletic" shoes, or sneakers, are made by New Balance and they are made for walking. They are actually pretty earthy. That's a rarity, in a sneaker. They are a kind of mushroom color with some orange/peach accents, very similar to the coat I posted pictures of when showing all of you my outfits.

Anyway, you are right about the black, Anita. I really thought it was more that people were choosing it over other colors, but there really aren't too many options. I did find a few choices in what I will call clear, bright navy. Pam may have this in his her color cards from Curt? I also found a dark plum and another purple color. Fabletics had some nice choices, but it's odd...I felt like the shirts they had didn't always go with the bottoms they had. For tops, I was thinking just knit shirts, they don't necessarily have to be exercise clothing. So, I will shop outside of the athletic attire for those. But I will go with athletic bottoms because I don't really have the right things.

We often go walking at the Erie Canal Park. We usually opt for the 2 or 3 mile loop. I just wear jeans or shorts, depending on the weather, and my New Balance sneaks. That won't work well for me when trying out some new exercise equipment. I'm not looking for fancy or anything, but I have a thing about coordinating outfits. Maybe it's the harmony part of my style statement, I don't know. Either way, I know I will do better if I'm happy about what I'm wearing.

Thank you, Sally. I appreciate you saying that. I'm trying to do better and the exercise will be just the right thing for me.

I can't believe you're about to cruise, Margaret, and Anita...you're not too far behind! I think we'll all have PCD in June. (Post Cruise Depression)

That brown color is not sold in stores...I think I saw a tag line that "online only."

Laurie, since you are not used to wearing exercise clothing for the exercising that you have been doing up until now...I wouldn't put too much effort into looking for clothing before you get into the gym. The bra, yes. Sounds like you have shoes...but if you have any sort of yoga pant bottom and t-shirt that you don't mind sweating in, then I would go with that and then figure out what you don't like about your clothing to help guide you with your exercise clothing search...

For instance, for me, I learned that I hate cotton for a shirt and want a tech fabric because I do sweat. The tech fabrics dry much quicker...for either wearing around post-workout, or for transporting back home and then hanging up...because you have to deal with your post-work out clothes one way or another...and generally, it's kind of gross to just dump them in with all your other dirty clothing (especially if they are, ahem, DAMP...or in some cases, soaking wet.)

I also want a LONGER shirt...because of all the use of my arms, I don't want ANY risk of belly exposure from raised arms lifting my shirt...in ANY way.

For that reason too, I hate sleeves...very, very annoying...and they will contribute to the raising of the shirt a lot...

I'm picky about where the waist band hits on my pants...

I'm picky about how LOOSE my clothing is so that if I bend over...it doesn't GAPE and fall away from body...again...causing unwelcome flashes of what is under the shirt...

I am picky about my socks...I need a certain amount of ankle coverage to avoid chaffing...also, certain styles/brands STAY better than others...HATE when the sock starts to fall into my shoes...

So. Not to be weird, but you are expressing the desire to really be serious and so I, very seriously, share this with you...you will make better decisions regarding what you want to wear to your work outs AFTER you work out.

Edited by Anita Latte

Anita, that is very good info. Thank you. I do have two pair of brown yoga pants to start with. One pair in particular has a really nice fit that seems to move with me. One thing I noticed was that so many tops didn't seem long enough. That is why I mentioned using something that wasn't what I would call athletic. I really do like the idea of something quick drying though.

I usually don't want longer tops but when I do things where I move around a lot or stretch my arms, the shirts go up on me. Oh, how I hate that.

This is my favorite work out shirt. It's called the Under Armour Victory Tank II. I love the ribbed fabric...it's quick drying...it washes like a dream...it's LONG. I bought mine from a store called Academy Sports...they were $20 in the store...but I found these:

http://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Womens-Victory-Tank/dp/B003P7Y4UW

I'm excited to see all these colors! I'll have to go stare at them now...

And in case you are wondering...

I'm a little like Serena Williams...who I have recently analyzed with all the tennis watching we do...I wear the REAL bra as layer number one...I wear a bra that is made to be seen to cover the real bra...and then I wear this tank.

An example of a bra that is made to be seen:

http://www.target.com/p/c9-champion-women-s-seamless-camisole-sports-bra/-/A-16456291#prodSlot=medium_1_2&term=c9+bra

In the store, this bra comes in all different colors. Key point for me is the adjustable shoulder strap. I don't worry about any support from this bra...only coverage of the real bra underneath. You can totally see this bra under the tank top.

Here's a photo of Serena showing the layering:

http://cdnau.ibtimes.com/sites/au.ibtimes.com/files/styles/v2_article_large/public/2015/02/04/serena-williams_0.jpg?itok=PtKMT3vb

She's wearing a "nude" REAL sports bra...which for HER is a lovely skin matching brown color...then the pink is the cover-the-real-bra bra shirt...and then her cute dress.

Girls with girls learn how to layer up...

I definitely fall into the girls with girls category, lol.

Those tanks are great! Colors aren't as clear on my phone as on my laptop but Lima green caught my eye right off because it looks very earthy. I think there are a lot of warm choices.

I get the idea of the layering. I see myself doing that. It's going to be a challenge to find earth colors but I will try. You know how you talk about things making you happy? I'd be very sad to have to wear black or white. I'm thinking that if I have a lot of trouble, I'm going to focus on navy. I should be able to find some sort of tops to work. And really, I know I will have trouble finding earth colors. I think the current trend towards brights at least puts fire colors within reach.

It would be very sad for me too to wear black and white...I don't. I do wear black bottoms...just a refresher...these are ALL my exercise bottoms...the left is "normal" and the right is Zumba licensed apparel:

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq34/misscurlyfeathertoes/Earth%20Thread/P1090854_zpsklf3jru0.jpg

I have 3 pairs of EARTH pants...on the Zumba side...the green print, the mud green below that print, and the solid blue above (pretty sure...). That's it.

For my shirts...

http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq34/misscurlyfeathertoes/Earth%20Thread/P1090850_zpseuopm3lw.jpg

The Under Armour shirts are in the middle bottom...only the red is a different shirt. And that wine color in this photo is brickish red...and that dark color at the top of that box is chocolate. In the upper right, the orange and the aqua are muted and Earth. And a few of the Zumba shirts are Earth (the middle top box). The lower right are my Curves shirts and I think the middle purple might be Earth.

I guess my point is that since you have brown bottoms already...you should definitely be able to find warm colored shirts...some Earth and some other colors that just might make you happy.

Hi all. Just back from s great cruise! I see you've all been busy.

I've discovered Victoria Secret sports bras are the best for me. I have to order them on line as they don't carry my size in the stores. My daughter turned me on to them, she's a competitive runner & requires good support - these provide it & are cute too.

Long tank tops, a must. Fila has some great ones, Tek Gear isn't too bad either. I got a turquoise & chocolate tank just before we left & a multi color tank, I wore them a lot on the 14 days. Melody

We made it to Houston ahead of the snow, yay. Had a huge texmex lunch and a long nap. :-) Keeping our fingers crossed that the rain forecast for this weekend wont delay our ship. Already received email from Princess that we may have delayed embarkation on Sunday.

Margaret, I'm glad you got to Houston okay. With embarkment, did they give you a reason for the delay? I understand that RCI now sends you a message giving you a boarding time to stagger people showing up at the port. Maybe it is something like that? I hope the weather is good for you.

Melody, welcome back! How was your cruise? I'd love to hear all about it. A 15 day cruise sounds so nice to me. The longest cruise I've been on is 7 days, and I don't think I will be able to go on longer cruises for quite some time, due to my work schedule and my husband's.

My daughter and I were talking and they got me thinking. I often talk about not being able to find casual dresses that I like, which is fine because I love formal wear and nicer dresses on a cruise. I told my daughter that I love things that I can dress up or down, but that I don't like to look like I'm going to work. She pointed out something important, that's kind of obvious, but yet I never thought of it.

I always dress up those basic dresses. For example, the new dress in the turquoise/teal type color. I had already grabbed my gold sandals, and then some sparkly jewelry. I think it will look great, but you know, I can put on a pair of bone sandals, and go with more casual jewelry.

Isn't it odd that I never think of that? Of course, that has me thinking about my dresses, and how many shoes I would want to bring. I don't want to bring too many, but I don't want to wear the same pair every night.

I still have issues finding casual dresses. That is why I tend to grab them when I see them, like the maxi dress last year. That was great for the cruise too, in that is was really comfortable and easy to wear.

I did post pictures of dresses not long ago, but those are set. I think the two formal dresses are, and so is the brown with 3/4 sleeves and the turquoise. I just need to figure out the other two nights. I have options including the new dress I posted a picture of on Wednesday. I think that dress would be fun for a specialty restaurant.

I should try to show you some pictures of jewelry with the dresses. Oh, and this scarf that I didn't post a picture of yet. I really love it - it's springy but has a lot of earth colors. I think most of the colors are really good, overall. But the print and fabric are really great.

Anita, I agree with you when looking at your exercise clothing...there are definitely some good earth colors. I think there are good fire choices too. I usually look to those next. Then I would go to air, and lastly to ice.

My daughter and my husband are at a Billy Joel concert tonight. My other daughter is working in Rochester and won't be back until Sunday night. it's been a while since I've been by myself! At least I had the company of the dogs. They are great.