All things EARTH...

Ugh, your poor cousin, Mousey. As a caffeine addict, I can only imagine what she is going through. I hope she feels better soon.

I went shopping (again!) today and bought 2 new bras and a body shaper. I got them from Soma, which is a store I had seen but had never gone in. A lady at work was raving about their stuff do I thought I would try it out. Got a bra fitting (what a difference the right size bra makes) and tried on about a zillion undergarments. I like the shaper. It's comfortable but really smooths out the problem areas. Now all I need is some nylons and I am set.

Anita - your trip is right around the corner! You must be getting really excited. Your packing list sounds like it's about done. I have to make packing lists otherwise I forget key wardrobe essentials. Like a bra! Yep, on our Alaskan cruise I forgot to pack a bra. And since I had worn a cami with a built in shelf bra (ugh) I didn't even have one at all. Needless to say that cami was worn a LOT during that cruise. So lists are my friends.

I am still contemplating jewelry for my dress. Now that I have a better bra for it I will try to post a picture of the dress tomorrow. Either on me or the hanger.

My packages arrived! I'm not sure about the one skirt that I ordered in addition to the one I really wanted. The coloring of it isn't exactly what I was expecting...and so I can't decide how I really feel about it. The print is a big mess of small daisies all overlapping...just the flower parts...a medium/small scale print...and I thought it was going to be kind of charcoal gray through whitish...but it turns out that it is a kind of ivory through almost black...no gray at all actually. SO.

And I don't love the other sneaker that I ordered. I think I would prefer to get a solid color...after all, I realize that I have 3 pairs of print sneakers now...a solid would be a much better addition...so I might exchange the one pair or just return it.

And I ordered myself a rashguard from Athleta. I debated the issue for a bit...did I really need something new, or could I make do...but it turns out that I think that I would get a lot of use out this rashguard...I'm hoping that the color is muted...I chose Saffron Red:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=97464&vid=1&pid=439088012

So I might be able to wear the other swim suit top...but I think that it would ride up on me and not stay put...so I will be bringing the two one piece suits. Really, I'm fine with that.

I doctored this one skirt that I picked up a long time ago from Goodwill. It was a very full smocked waist skirt with two layers...a kind of sheer layer over a solid lining layer. I loved the colors in the skirt, which went very well with the suit I would most likely wear around the ship. So I cut off the waistband and separated the sheer layer to make a big piece of fabric that I can treat like a kind of odd sized pareo. It works well for being a modesty wrap for just being able to walk around the ship.

Still need to decide on a travel cover...that is...most likely a dress that I can wear over my suit for our shore excursions.

Anita, it sounds like you really have your outfit planning done. I love that orangy red dress you are bringing for formal night, and Margaret's dress too. I'm going to begin to try some different tops on with my maxi skirts to see if I can figure them out. It's funny, because I feel I can wear a maxi dress just fine, but I get confused with the skirts. Maybe it's because the dresses have a continuous color/pattern to them? I do find that continuity in the midriff area can really help me a lot.

I really like the color of that rash guard. I know I'm partial to reds, but this truly looks earthy and muted.

I've never worn a rash guard. I know they are worn a lot in the water when you want to cover up, right? I saw that they had sleeveless and short sleeved versions too.

I don't wear much that isn't earthy, but I do have some things here and there. I remember debating about this maxi dress, because there were earth and fire colors in it. But, I could easily wear earthy jewelry and shoes, so no problem. In retrospect, it was way earthier than I at first realized.

c74fcb9c-363d-407e-b216-fb0fb57d5863_zps54248451.jpg

Now flash forward to a purchase on Sunday. Sigh. This dress has some earth colors, although it is hard to see. There is a beige color that is kind of in between. There is actually a teal in it that is really nice. The aqua and clear bright navy are fire. Then there is um, black. Very little. Now, this is totally the wrong neckline for me. So, wrong colors, wrong style...why do I think it is working for me? You know, pictures will usually bring me to reality, but I find I'm still liking this. Please give me your honest thoughts, ladies...

IMG_2983_zpsufnuom9w.jpg

To convince myself that it isn't right, I took a straight on picture:

IMG_2984_zpszumdttyf.jpg

I don't know...this may be one of those purchases where I say I don't care? I'm liking it so I'll keep it?

Now, there is a second dress. I think the most important thing about this one is the size. I want to emphasize that yes, it is a fitted dress and could use a bit of thought as to undergarments. It isn't tight, but my nature says I need it to be looser. I mention the size because it does appear that I'm really down a size. Maybe more? This dress is a 12. As a matter of fact, so is the maxi and I'm so happy they aren't gapping at the boobs. So please bear with me, as I know this will look better after I trim up some more. The color is good, the neckline is a stretch. It looks better with a regular bra, and I was being lazy and left on the strapless.

IMG_2985_zpsym4f8iys.jpg

Once again, here is a straight from the front shot:

IMG_2987_zpsh1y5vshr.jpg

Oh, and that's Mason, my rescue, to the side. He has to check the kitchen floor for crumbs frequently.

The shoes are very different. I am trying to get myself to do different things. It's almost a given that I want to put on my gold or bronze sandals, and some sort of shiny jewelry, lol. I put the shoes in my closet upstairs, but I'll try and get a picture later.

I forgot to mention that in the maxi is this funky green. I would say its fire because it is an exact clear bright version of a color on our cards. It's a yellow green.

Barbara, there is a Soma at our mall and I've been tempted to there. It would be nice to get a bra fitting someplace where they would actually carry my size. They have a few bathing suits online that I adore, but are kind of expensive. I don't really need them since I found a few things last year to fill a gap. I am going to bring one with me for my cruise, but because Jewel has a retractable roof over the swim pool. Otherwise, it wouldn't be warm enough. And there is only one sea day that I can use that on, and it will likely be packed near the pool and hot tubs. Maybe my animal print one will go with me!

Anita, I recall that your cruise will have a lot of beaches. What are your ports again? Sorry, I've forgotten. Where was Margaret going? I think it was the same as last year when they had the oil spill? I want to say Belize and Mexico were on her itinerary.

Edited by laurspag

Laurie,

I love that beautiful silky scarf that part paisley and part animal print. Wherever do you find these things?? You have such an eye for fashion.

Mousey, this is find from Dressbarn last year. What I love about it is that it looks great for work, but it has that fun animal print in there. I wear it a lot!

I saw my cousin today. I spent a couple of hours with her. Her husband had called me and told me she had had a panic attack and was asking for me so I rushed over there. Poor soul...not only is she recovering from having a brain tumor but she's also going through withdrawals from nicotine and sugar. She's been a chain smoker since she was about 14 and her brother told me she was drinking 4, two-liter bottles of Coke Zero a day! Wow! Anyway, I talked to her for a long time until she finally fell asleep. I feel so badly for her. Going through withdrawals of any kind is hard enough when you're healthy, but going through them while recovering from major surgery has got to be hell. But she has not choice...she cannot smoke or have sugar right now. Poor baby.

That can be so hard. I love my coffee, but I don't drink that much anymore. It affects my heartbeat, and then I can't sleep well. It's the first thing I think of when I get up though! Smoking will probably be the hardest thing for her. Really though, with all she has been through, her panic attack could have just been from feeling overwhelmed, maybe?

Our Spring Break cruise embarks/disembarks in San Juan. We go to Barbados, St. Lucia, Antiqua, St Marteen, and St Thomas. I believe Margaret's ports are Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel.

I think the blue maxi is a good silhouette for you Laurie. I like the shape of it a lot. I'm on the fence about the color...

Anita, that is a similar itinerary to where I was heading originally before my husband changed his mind. I am hoping for that same cruise next year do o look forward to your thoughts on it.

I know that the colors are not the best in that dress. But I do like the styling a lot and it's a great fit.

The other dress feels...like it emphasizes the disparity between the top of my body and the bottom. I'm hoping that there will be a reduction as o lose weight. It is even hard to breath at night sometimes!

For me, it's not the fit, in that it's not small at all. It's just that I have to purchase to fit the top part of my body. I actually have room up there, it's easy to zip. It's almost shaped for the top of my body and that isn't a good look. I'm debating if I want to keep it for when I lose more weight, like a goal dress. However, the more I look at it, the more I realize that the keyhole opening isn't working. I am envisioning this dress as a scoop neck or v-neck.

Laurie, have you ever tried the Fit-and-Flare shaped dresses? You have a lovely waist...I think that the pinched in waist of the fit-and-flare would emphasize that and the fullness in the skirt would help to balance out your inverted triangle body.

The coral dress doesn't look tight...I think by saying fit...it's just the WAY the dress fits, it's a fitted dress...such a fitted dress just highlights your body's shape, and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that, unless you want to do something to de-emphasize your bust and give the illusion of a more balanced shape. The blue dress seems to have more of a semi-fitted skirt and the loose bodice area with the nipped in waist (to show you have one) really flatters your shape a lot.

Hey Ladies!

So today is my birthday...isn't a mid-week birthday kind of a bummer? ANYWAY...

I've decided to return the one maxi-skirt...the danger with online ordering is not having the motivation to return something if it doesn't work out exactly as you thought it might...I think it can lead to a tendency to "make do" rather than go to the effort of the return. So I'm returning the skirt and the shoes. I came to the conclusion that I really didn't love it...and that's what I'm looking for...owning things I really love

So the real question now is whether or not I want to keep the other skirt which isn't truly an EARTH skirt...but has worked okay and I've gotten a lot of wear out of it. The thing is that it is a size bigger than I really need (but I could alter it). Also, it kind of holds the same place in my wardrobe that this new skirt does...goes with the same shirts...and the new skirt goes with so many more shirts...

And so I think I'm talking myself into replacing the one skirt with the new skirt...

With all the shopping that I have been doing, I'm wondering if I'm feeling a weird kind of desire to replenish my clothing? I know that I tend to be a "stock up" kind of person in the kitchen...why buy one when I know I use the product? Buy 6, kind of person...

My packing goal by the end of this week is to nail down all the toiletries that we are taking with us. Make sure that we have travel sizes of everything we need and go ahead and pack most of the non-durable product. I would like to also gather the durable product (toothbrushes, hair tools, shaving tools, etc.) to see what kind of volume that really is between the 3 of us.

We have our first summer plan on the books. DH needs to do a training in Orlando (which is right after Memorial Day weekend) and so DS and I are going to go with him. We're taking advantage of the corporate rate for the hotel and going down for Memorial Day weekend and staying through the next Friday...so one week in Orlando. DH will have to work for 3 of those days...but still, it'll be a fun thing overall for the first weekend of the summer.

Interestingly enough, we still have "Water, Fun, and More" admissions on our non-expiring Disney tickets from way back when. So we can go to Disney Quest and the water parks. We actually won't be too tempted for the big parks because we will have JUST been in Disney earlier that month with the big 8th grade music department field trip to Disney. DH and I are chaperones on that trip, so we shouldn't feel like we are missing out on anything by not going back to one of the big parks...

Who is in Orlando? Or nearby? I'm looking for something ELSE to do with DS while DH goes into work. Once, there was a traveling exhibit of all the props that Star Wars used in their movies at one of the museums...it was a special exhibit...pay extra to see it...and it was totally awesome. LOVED it. Something along these lines...a fun extra...it would be even better if it was music oriented. Anyone have a suggestion? I have a week's worth of time and would love to do something new and fun.

It's crazy to say, but there are only 9 weekends in our summer... That feels so short to me... I don't want to cram too much activity into the summer, but I also want to have a few big things that we can look back on at the end of the summer and remember and give the feeling of having done some special things.

Laurie, I really like the blue dress, looks casual & fun. The coral is ok, but I agree on the neckline

Anita, don't know what you're doing in Antigua, but if you want a quiet beach with very few people (& we had 5 ships in port) with a mile+ stretch of white sand, nice restaurant, clean restrooms I'd recommend Mystic on Runaway Bay. A $4-6 cab ride (depending on # of folks), & $3 per chair & $8 for wooden umbrella (just watch your head!). They even have lifeguards. I found amazing tiny pink shells & lots of sea glass (turquoise, Amber & white as well as green--I was stoked). Snorkeling was minimal but swimming was great.ImageUploadedByForums1427292464.210213.jpg.9b1aa4a79d09d793d051110e6521bb37.jpg. I put some pictures in too. Melody

ImageUploadedByForums1427292326.794648.jpg.fe3abaf43a7d7bdc1be3749b2ff6c3a9.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1427292385.280913.jpg.0cd533e28f1c79d356b4423383fcd0dd.jpg

Edited by awhfy

Thank you for the suggestion Melody! Mom is the big planner when we vacation together...I don't know if she had a beach in mind already...the one you mention sounds wonderful!

The beach picture is from Runaway Bay.

Happy, happy birthday to you Anita! Melody

Laurie,

I think I might be going against the grain here and take my fashion sense for what it's worth :eek: but, the blue dress is not my favorite on either color or fit. I think the narrow neckline adds to the width of your bust area by making it look wider. And, I lose YOU on the color. The color almost looks ICEY to me.

I think the first multi-color dress you have on in the photo with your DH is really a much nicer overall look than either the blue or the coral dress with the keyhole neckline.

I so much enjoy seeing your photos and how you accessorize :)

Anita, don't know what you're doing in Antigua, but if you want a quiet beach with very few people (& we had 5 ships in port) with a mile+ stretch of white sand, nice restaurant, clean restrooms I'd recommend Mystic on Runaway Bay. A $4-6 cab ride (depending on # of folks), & $3 per chair & $8 for wooden umbrella (just watch your head!). They even have lifeguards. I found amazing tiny pink shells & lots of sea glass (turquoise, Amber & white as well as green--I was stoked). Snorkeling was minimal but swimming was great.[ATTACH]344339[/ATTACH][ATTACH]344340[/ATTACH][ATTACH]344341[/ATTACH]. I put some pictures in too. Melody

Melody,

We just booked a cruise last week and Antigua is the only port on our cruise I haven't been to. We are thinking about just doing a beach day there and have been looking around for a good one for us. Thanks to your suggestion to Anita, I will look into Mystic. It looks lovely. We are looking for something that isn't crowded but, still has some people watching, something to eat and drink and mostly some shade :) Is the restaurant expensive?

I also collect sea glass and make jewelry. Did you find some really nice smooth pieces in Antigua? Any place else you've found really nice sea glass? The best I've found was on Vieques island, it's off Puerto Rico. The glass I've found in Cozumel and other places hasn't been that great, it isn't worn and rounded enough for my liking.

Anita,

Your ports are great! I LOVE Barbados and St. Lucia. We thought about that cruise when booking last week but, I didn't want the expense of overnighting in San Juan and we wanted a few sea days. Well, mostly I wanted some sea days so that I could play "dress up" for dinner :D

Edited by Joby

Happy Birthday Anita ! Blue man group are at Universal & there are usually discounts available . If you haven't seem them they put on a great show & you son would enjoy it .

Laurie , I like the blue maxi dress . I think Anita is right about the fit & flare dresses . They would really show your curves in a great way .

We are in the middle of home renovating . We were going to totally gut the bathrooms but since we are probably moving next year we decided to just renovate . Changed fixtures , new door for linen closet , new shower doors ,paint , etc..

Melody,

We just booked a cruise last week and Antigua is the only port on our cruise I haven't been to. We are thinking about just doing a beach day there and have been looking around for a good one for us. Thanks to your suggestion to Anita, I will look into Mystic. It looks lovely. We are looking for something that isn't crowded but, still has some people watching, something to eat and drink and mostly some shade :) Is the restaurant expensive?

I also collect sea glass and make jewelry. Did you find some really nice smooth pieces in Antigua? Any place else you've found really nice sea glass? The best I've found was on Vieques island, it's off Puerto Rico. The glass I've found in Cozumel and other places hasn't been that great, it isn't worn and rounded enough for my liking.

Anita,

Your ports are great! I LOVE Barbados and St. Lucia. We thought about that cruise when booking last week but, I didn't want the expense of overnighting in San Juan and we wanted a few sea days. Well, mostly I wanted some sea days so that I could play "dress up" for dinner :D

The restaurant was exceptionally reasonable, good & fresh, lots of fresh fish choices. I think we spent $25 for lunch (2 lunches). The rum punch was rum punch.

The sea glass was really nice, the blue & turquoise pieces are about an inch & nice & smooth. The green (3 shades), Amber & frosted white are a bit smaller but still good sized. Have you ever been to Glass Beach in CA? Bring buckets you'll need them. Melody

First, and most importantly....Happy Birthday, Anita!!!!! I know what you mean about birthdays during the week...for me, it's always been a bit distracting to work! I luck out this year, because my birthday is the day we embark on our cruise. I really wish, in a way, that our girls were going with us. But they are young adults, and it isn't easy to pay their way and they were not in position to pay for themselves...sigh.

Thank you very much to all of you, for your honest input. I have lots of thoughts to share about my determination, and the process to get to it.

- salmon dress observation one: I liked it a lot more when I went back and looked at the pictures again. I'm much too focused on what I think I should look like that when I see a picture, I'm disappointed. It isn't nearly as horrible as I thought.

- I think the color is pretty nice. It's quite muted, and not a bad color for me considering. I still do better with a saturated color.

- In retrospect, I think the dress would look much more acceptable with a different neckline. It just doesn't work for me.

- I'm taking it back. There will be more dresses. I'm just trying to get some multifunction dresses that I can wear on a cruise, to an event, and to work. I thought this would be good with a jacket over it, but every time I try to see that in my head, I ask myself if I want to add more fabric to the top part of my body, and still have the lower part of the dress look the same. The answer is no.

- The maxi dress: I knew the colors weren't earth, except for a small amount. So what do I think of wearing non-earth colors? I'm not in favor. I've gotten used to trying hard to look my best, and I can see the difference here. You can't see too much of the neckline, but there is a heavy gold chain interwoven with fabric. It helps, but it is a mix of just about every season.

- the style, although not the best one for me, doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. There is a kelly green short version of this, but the neckline area scoops a little. Boy, was that nice. The color was solid, and not a great color on me at all. Plus, I wanted it to be a different length than it was.

- I haven't made a decision on the maxi yet, although I'm leaning towards keeping it

Anita, I have tried a few fit and flare dresses. I haven't in a bit, but was thinking of trying a few. I recall that they need continuity, without there being a different top than bottom as far as color, print, etc. Sometimes, because I am a bit short waisted, it can create the effect that my boobs are down near my waist, lol. I happen to have a dress at home in that general styling. I should try it on for a picture. I will only worn you other than my navy suit, two pairs of pants that are kind of air, and the new maxi, I don't have anything that is really non-earth in my wardrobe. Except this. But I think it will do a good job of checking out the style and how it works for me.

Some of my choices stretch it a bit when it comes to being earth, but I really like how the colors work for me, and how easily everything seems to go together. I think a few of us have said that you can mix and match clothing great, so you can go on vacation and switch around the tops and bottoms and the outfits still work. I love that.

All of this talk of the southern Caribbean has me drooling! I've wanted to go for a few years now. My husband actually chose Allure of the Seas over sailing from San Juan for our 2016 cruise. I'm still speechless, as the trips I was looking at were on Adventure, and the voyager class is his favorite. He just doesn't want to sail out of San Juan.

I told him I would check with you, Anita, to see where you are sailing from, and how long the cruise is for. We may go on Celebrity at some point if we can sail from the U.S.

Happy Birthday Anita!

Laurie,

Yes, you're right, my cousin is overwhelmed and that's why she's had two anxiety attacks in the last few days. They took the staples out of her head this morning and she totally freaked out. Also, and I'm sorry to be such a downer, she has a blood clot in her right arm. I spent most of the day and into the late evening at the hospital with her. The nicotine withdrawal is really just doing her in. They've put one of those nicotine patches or her but it's not working. I just feel so badly for her. Just so much for her to deal with at one time.

I did a little shopping therapy on the way home from the hospital...but I'm just buying stuff for the DS now. I don't know if I mentioned that he got accepted into the Eller College of Marketing at the U of A. We're very proud of him. Anyway, it made him eligible for a Global Cohort to Argentina. He'll be there from the middle of May through the middle of July. I'm going to miss him so much but this is an amazing adventure he's going on. Thank goodness his scholarship pays for part of it. It will be winter during the time he's there and he's actually going snowboarding while he's there. It's part of the trip. So, I'm buying him new underwear, socks, sweatshirts, a couple of jackets. Stuff that he'll need for cold weather. He's outgrown most of his winter stuff. I won't be buying much for myself for a while. I just want to make sure he's got all he needs for his trip first.

I do have my eye on a couple of things though. LOL!

By the way...just adding my 2 Cents for what it's worth...I love the maxi dress. Not to keen on the other one...sorry...but you did ask for honesty...LOL!

Hoping Margaret is enjoying herself. I'm excited for the rest of you going on a cruise. I'm hoping when the DS gets back home at the end of the summer that we can maybe squeeze in a 3-day cruise to Mexico before he has to go back to school.

I do have a 3-day trip coming up in April to San Diego with the DH (he'll be there for a business convention). That should be fun and I'll get to have dinner with my niece. Better than a stick-in-the-eye...LOL!

Edited by mousey

I'd love to see a picture of you in that fit and flare dress Laurie! Post one when you have a chance.

Why is sailing out of San Juan a negative? All of us are flying in the day of the cruise. Embarkation isn't until 8:30pm or something similar...I think because the cruise line understands that most people will be traveling to the port...most flying...and because embarkation is so close to all the destinations...well...don't need to leave any earlier.

And like I said, we are all flying through Choice Air. Mom had a very indepth conversation with the Choice Air people. We are very confident in the service we will receive should we need additional service because something happens with our flights.

Some people may want to hang out in San Juan before or after their cruise...but this is our spring break and we are bound by the school calender...and after our 2012 spring break cruise, we decided that we really need to be home for one day of recovery and prep for the school/work week ahead...so home by Saturday night is our max spring break travel window.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! I had a good day. We ordered a pizza for DS and he hung out at home while DH and I went out on a date for dinner and some shopping. No. I didn't get anything. We bought DS a fun sport coat to wear on the cruise. DS loves to dress up and I saw what I thought was a very fun for a young man sport coat at Kohl's when I was shopping earlier...and very affordable. When I showed DS the online picture, he agreed that it was cool. So we grabbed it after dinner because it was in the store in his size (which is JUST in the men's department)...so not tons of options in a 38.

This photo makes the sport coat look so bright...it really isn't nearly as bright as the online photo...the blue is way more navy than royal:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2101816/haggar-1926-originals-slim-fit-navy-madras-plaid-sport-coat-men.jsp?pdpSeeDetail=&OfferTitleCollectionWithin=&collectionGetPrice=&isCollectionBuyAdded=&getProductWithInCollection=&isCollectionPWP=&prodId=2101816&buyProductWithInCollection=

He has black dress pants to wear with it...one combo will be a white shirt and black bow tie (he needed the black bow tie for All State Chorus)...the other is a silvery gray shirt and some other time (we have a few in the house that will work). I think it's totally fun...and seems so appropriate to me for a 14-years young man.