All things EARTH...

Laurie , In your closet I see a lot of formal wear but not a lot of wear to work type dresses .Maybe you need a few plain dresses that you change the look with accessories ?

By the way I wear Lands End bathing suits because they fit me perfectly & the sport ones are chlorine resistant .

I'm back! I had an amazing cruise! I will tell you all about it when I'm more organized. I don't think I've felt that relaxed in at least a year and a half. :)

Happy belated birthday Anita! I'm excited about your son's sport coat -- it has such personality. My DH always wears a bow tie that actually ties... he likes to loosen it at the end of the night and to prove to everyone that he can do a real one. Personally I think he's just pretending inside that he's James Bond. :)

I've got so much reading to do to catch up... lots of good conversation going on while I was away! Can I use any more exclamation points?!?

Sally, I have other dresses too. I very much like the ability to change up the look of something. And I do need to let that dress go. I have recycled here on CC a few times. I should post that dress over there.

Margaret! Welcome back! I can't wait to see your pictures and hear all about your trip.

Welcome back Margaret!! So glad to hear you had such a wonderful vacation. Hoping to see some photos before I go!

Why is it sad that you have more dresses Laurie? I mean, you do have a lot of dresses! LOL!! But you do have a work wardrobe v. casual clothing v. formal clothing. And you live in a climate with seasons...that all equates to the likelihood of owning more clothing.

Well, here's a start.

I wore this to go to the beach in Cozumel. I was wearing my swimsuit under and brought my pareo, which was handy at lunchtime. We went to Nachi Cocum and were completely pampered. Lovely.

IMG_1495.jpg

On the way back, we ran into this place and naturally I had to have a photo:

IMG_1508.jpg

Coz was our first port so I was very careful about the sun. I brought some tank tops to wear on port days, but decided that being more covered was a better idea. I got this top at j.jill last summer and I love that it's long enough to cover my bootay. I wear it as a beach coverup a lot. It is a very lightweight cotton and the sleeves roll down. I ended up wearing this skort for all three port days. Maybe I should have another one? I'm intrigued by the technical fabric ones that Anita has posted.

Our second port was Roatan. We headed to the Mayan Princess resort at West End Beach to snorkel the reef and hang on the beach. It was hot! But fab! Again with the suit under the skort and a tshirt:

IMG_1548.jpg

This is me after a monkey lala and 2 hours of snorkeling. Do I look relaxed? Uh oh, starting to get a little pink. :eek: The pool there was very pretty:

IMG_1590.jpg

Here are some of my Roatan friends:

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

Just a comment on bathing suits. This one has a lot of gathering, and it was still very damp three days later. I was glad I had three suits for the three different days.

Margaret! You DO look SO relaxed! It's absolutely lovely to see.

I love everything about your Nochi Cocum look! I think I'm going to look like your twin...long-sleeved shirt, straight fitting skort, swimsuit underneath, another cover up in my bag, and a hat!!

The skort that I just bought is said to be inspired by your favorite running shorts because they have a small split and scallop on the sides. I love the fabric...I have other clothing in it...it's very lightweight and if it gets wet, it does dry quickly. The shorts of the skort are a bit light a small scale mesh jersey stretch fabric. They ended up fitting me a bit like biker shorts, fitted without being too tight. I think you would like the style because it is also a take on a pencil skirt with a straight fit. The green color is very olive/army. It would be a good staple in an Earth wardrobe. I did get the black however, because of the specific purpose of wearing with my new swimsuit and the greens didn't go for me.

Oh my...yes on the pink...I hope it was only pink and not painful. That's my big concern...because I am very white...very, very white...especially right now when so much of my skin hasn't seen the light of day in forever. I did wear a tank top to do some yard work a couple weeks ago and pinked my shoulders/arms...so not good.

It's somewhat surprising to me but I think the longer sleeved outfit is still screaming warm weather to me...I think I am becoming accustomed to seeing more coverage in greater sun.

I received my last thing on order yesterday:

http://www.planetshoes.com/item/teva-original-universal-women/26869/a95

Planet shoes sent me $20 with no restrictions for my birthday. I've been eyeing these Tevas for a while. Mine wore out a while ago...I've been wearing a hand me down pair of DS' for a long time now...they are a boy's 7 (he is wearing a 9.5/10 now...so yes, I've been wearing his old ones for a while...). I just couldn't justify purchasing another pair in MORE non-Earth colors and I was hoping to find an Earthy pair.

I'm happy to report that the Terracotta color is pretty much what you would expect it to be. Very much a salmon-y coral-y kind of color. The ribbon on these is somewhat unique...it has quite a shine on it. Except for the black soles, of course, these sandals have a bit of the nude neutral going on and will really end up going well with any Earthy ensemble. The soles are the cheapest, oldest style that Teva makes...so that's a bit different from what I've bought in recent years. I have done light hiking in Tevas before (trails around campgrounds and trails in Arches National Park, for instance)...but these Tevas are less rugged than that...which I think might actually be a good thing in a more water oriented sandal as I recall thinking the Tevas were a bit clunky looking for going to and from the pool...and I've gotten away from wearing flip flops in recent years.

Keep the pictures coming Margaret!

Margaret, love the pictures! We were at Nachi Cocum the first week of December, I can still taste the wonderful grilled grouper! That's such a nice place, I really like that they limit attendance. Melody

Laurie - your dresses are beautiful. I used to wear a lot of dresses for work but in my current job I mostly wear jeans so my dresses are kind of gathering dust. I should do a purge of my closet but lately I'm just not feeling much energy to tackle any big projects.

Anita - I guess I don't really know what a rash guard is. I looked at the links and I'm assuming it's like a shirt you wear over your swimsuit to swim in? Is it to keep from getting sunburned or is there another reason? I love that red. And that green tank top is pretty fabulous too. A bit expensive for a tank top but it's an awesome green.

I have been working too much and just feeling exhausted. So I haven't gotten much done lately. My house is a wreck and if I had the money I would simply hire someone to come in and clean it. But I am going to have to suck it up and deal with it soon. Sigh.

I did start writing a blog which has been fun. I have always enjoyed writing and used to do it a lot more than I have as of late. I decided that since it's a stress reliever for me, and because my job is pretty stressful I should get back to it. So I've been having some fun with that. If you get bored and want to check out my stories (they are, for the most part, funny little snippets of my life) - the blog is at https://barbaraisms.wordpress.com/. It's just a fun little hobby for me, but I wish it was more. I really have been enjoying it.

Margaret - you look like you are having an awesome time on your trip. The pictures are great. I love that purple swimsuit. Whats the bottom part like? From what I can tell in the picture it looks really flattering and cute. And looks like it holds the girls in securely, which is something I, and my double D chest, need desperately.

Barbara...a rashguard is a shirt that is made out of swim suit fabric, so it will dry as quickly as a swimsuit would dry...and have the same stretch and feel as a swimsuit, but in the style of a some sort of shirt.

They originated in Australia and were first used by surfers. The shirts were designed to be worn over a swim suit (or with a swim suit for men) and to protect a surfer's belly/upper body from the rash that would develop from laying on a the textured surface of the surfboard when paddling out to catch a wave back to shore. Hence the name...rashguard. Most true rashguards are skin tight...not riding up the body is imperative to the functionality of the rashguard.

Smart Australians also started using these shirts as sun protective clothing...especially for children...because there is a verified hole in the ozone layer over Australia...pretty sure...and Australia takes it's sun protection very, very seriously in consequence. And then the idea of a rashguard for the purposes of sun protection finally spread to other parts of the world and other audiences.

I remember when they were a newer thing when DS was very young...he was among the first kids to wear one at the pool...white boy...born of a decidedly white mom and white-skinned, red-headed dad. Some kid asked him why he was wearing such a shirt in the pool...and DS talked to him like he was stupid...so he didn't have to wear as much SUN LOTION...because having to put on SUN LOTION was the most heinous activity in the world and anything that relieved him of that chore was completely and totally WELCOME.

Today, rashguards are more known and you can find several styles...from sleeveless to long sleeves, from total pull over the head to full zipper. When worn for sun protection, the fit can be a bit looser than what would be wanted for surfing. I love rashguards. I'm so over the whole get tan thing...and I like the ability to not worry about sun protection in the water. I get leery of all the chemicals in sun screens and prefer to keep my usage of such things to a minimum. Everyone in the family owns a rashguard...Mom, Dad, DH, DS and myself. I'm so happy that they have become more and more popular so that the styles are cuter and cuter and more fun.

Fun blog Barbara!

Margaret - you look like you are having an awesome time on your trip. The pictures are great. I love that purple swimsuit. Whats the bottom part like? From what I can tell in the picture it looks really flattering and cute. And looks like it holds the girls in securely, which is something I, and my double D chest, need desperately.

Barbara, that suit is a brand called Moontide. I'm a D but I've had suits in a similar style when I was a DD and they do have good support, though I wouldn't go running in them. I like this one particularly because the straps are adjustable. I have a short torso so often I have to shorten the straps on one piece suits. In this picture you can see the gathers in front:

purplebsuit.jpg

For our day in Belize I wore the same j.jill shirt/skort combo with my snorkeling suit underneath, and brought undies in a ziplock bag (turned out to be a good choice as EVERYTHING in the boat got wet at some point). You've seen my snorkel outfit before:

snorkeling.jpg

I don't have any pictures of myself on this day. But, here is the plane we flew in to Ambergris Caye:

plane.jpg

That's my 6'3" DH in the front (grey shirt/blue trunks) and you should have seen him try to stuff himself into his seat. :)

We had an amazing day snorkeling:

IMG_1658.jpg

Yes, I was this close:

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

Given that we picked this itinerary for the snorkeling, it was a total home run.

Smart Australians also started using these shirts as sun protective clothing...especially for children...because there is a verified hole in the ozone layer over Australia...pretty sure...and Australia takes it's sun protection very, very seriously in consequence. And then the idea of a rashguard for the purposes of sun protection finally spread to other parts of the world and other audiences.

...because having to put on SUN LOTION was the most heinous activity in the world and anything that relieved him of that chore was completely and totally WELCOME.

We started wearing rashguards when we took up wakeboarding, because if you catch the front edge and do the total body slap (think belly flop at 25mph) you look like you've been boiled like a lobster. We don't do that so much any more but it happens a lot when you're a beginner.

Now we appreciate the sun protection, and with our sensitive and burn-prone skin we also like to limit the sun lotion if we can.

BTW I was very motivated not to burn because I had my skin cancer checkup yesterday. :eek:

So, it turns out I didn't take many pictures on the ship. You all saw my dresses before and I wore them all. During the day it was just tshirts and shorts. I took way less jewelry than I normally do because I mostly just wore earrings, except for the outfits I posted pre-cruise.

These are aren't in order because this is our second formal night. This brown dress is difficult to photograph because the shiny under-layer picks up the flash, but without the flash you can't see much detail:

IMG_1715.jpg

I did the loose braid with a side knot, but it was kinda boring, so I added some flowers:

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1709.jpg

I really like those earrings I bought from Etsy. They were a lot of fun to wear. My birthday is just inside the window, so I got balloons and a cake. :) Princess makes really good cakes.

You know what I always say... you have to end the show with a gown. :) We had a formal picture taken but this one is more color-accurate by far, even though it's not particularly flattering. Those gold shoes were comfy enough to dance in, but this dress got really hot very quickly. The cruise rule is that DH has to dance with me at least once every night on the ship. He went above and beyond this time because I made him do the hustle with me on disco night. I can't believe I'm the only one left who knows how to do that dance!

IMG_1492.jpg

I have to say this was the least formal of all the Princess cruises we've taken, even the same one last year. There was definitely a predominance of cocktail-length dresses, many of which would not qualify as formal in my book (here they would be day-to-evening wear). Of the long dresses I saw, there was an even mix of maxi dresses and long black knit skirts with dressy tops, even at late seating. I did see quite a few tuxedos, which I always love. I was definitely at the dressiest end of the spectrum to the point where I got some stares. That didn't bother me as I'm stared at all day long by my students. :) Don't get me wrong, I'm not making any judgments about formal night, just sharing my observations. I will say that there was quite a sea of black, and the long black dresses just got lost in the crowd.

Margaret, I'm very much enjoying reading about your trip and seeing your pictures. Like everyone else, I love the skort and top. It looks comfortable and very flattering at the same time. I too really like the skort that Anita just picked up.

I have a few skorts that are the typical aline stying. That really works wells for me. I think that as I thin out (I hope to, anyway!) that a narrower skirt style will work.

I have never been on the itinerary you were just on, but it does seem great for snorkeling. Your pictures are fabulous!

I too love formal nights, and you looked absolutely beautiful. I think your choice of wording regarding formal night was excellent. I often have a lot of thoughts about formal night and I don't say them, as it is a very touchy subject with many and I don't want my comments taken the wrong way. I love to truly dress formal and so I do. I picked up a few dresses that were more of a cocktail style because I know that with shorter cruises in particular, I started to feel a bit awkward because there weren't many people wearing long gowns. I still want to wear my gowns but I have other options now as well that I think are formal even if they are shorter. It's not about right or wrong, just preference.

Anita, the comment I made about having a lot of dresses...I guess I feel guilty sometimes. I make sure that I wear what I buy. The really good thing about all the pictures I took (I didn't post them all) is that I have a ready index of what they all look like, in order of formality. I think it helps me to figure out what I want to bring, if there is something I haven't worn as recently, and so on.

Barbara, I started reading your blog but haven't had time to finish it. I will be going back to it shortly. You have a fun perspective!

Well, we officially signed up with the gym last night, and we're excited! Because they are independently owned and a bit more expensive than some of the chains, they give you some special coupons upon joining. We have two 30 day guest passes, so we told our daughters they can use them. They are pretty excited and can't wait to go with us. The nice thing is that with the special passes, they can go by themselves as well. After that, they can either join on their own, or pay $5.00 a visit to go with us.

Margaret, keep the pictures coming!

You know what I always say... you have to end the show with a gown. :) We had a formal picture taken but this one is more color-accurate by far, even though it's not particularly flattering. Those gold shoes were comfy enough to dance in, but this dress got really hot very quickly. The cruise rule is that DH has to dance with me at least once every night on the ship. He went above and beyond this time because I made him do the hustle with me on disco night. I can't believe I'm the only one left who knows how to do that dance!

IMG_1492.jpg

I have to say this was the least formal of all the Princess cruises we've taken, even the same one last year. There was definitely a predominance of cocktail-length dresses, many of which would not qualify as formal in my book (here they would be day-to-evening wear). Of the long dresses I saw, there was an even mix of maxi dresses and long black knit skirts with dressy tops, even at late seating. I did see quite a few tuxedos, which I always love. I was definitely at the dressiest end of the spectrum to the point where I got some stares. That didn't bother me as I'm stared at all day long by my students. :) Don't get me wrong, I'm not making any judgments about formal night, just sharing my observations. I will say that there was quite a sea of black, and the long black dresses just got lost in the crowd.

Margaret , That dress is a show stopper ! You look fabulous !

Hi, I'm back again, kind of like the "bad penny"...LOL!

I wanted to wait until I had some good news and wasn't hitting you all with just bad news. To that end, I'm happy to say that I spoke with my cousin this morning and she is doing the best she has since she had her surgery. She's even making plans for the future which is just wonderful news. I'll be seeing her later tonight.

Someone had asked before how my parents were doing and I'm happy to say they are doing as great as can be expected. I'm looking forward to seeing them the end of May. I was planning on going home the end of April but the DH said he could go with me if I waited until the end of May when the DS will be in Argentina for his Global Cohort. I jumped at that as my family dearly loves the DH and it would be really nice if he went with me again. Usually he goes once a year with me and I go alone about 3 more times. This would be the second time this year that he goes with me so I know my family is going to be psyched.

I love the pictures all of you are posting.

Anita, I love the color of your rash guard. I use them when I go snorkeling to stay warm in the water. I'm in love with the beautiful green color of your new tank top. I love the style also.

Laurie, I love your dresses...each and every one of them!

Margaret, so happy you had such a wonderful time on your cruise and goodness what a knockout you are in your beautiful outfits. My DH caught a look at you in your formal gown and declared, "Wow, she's really pretty." So, it's not just us girls that think you look great. LOL!

ChollaChick, haven't had time to read your blog but I'm looking forward to doing so either tonight or tomorrow.

Sailor Sally, I'm also in my 60s...late 60s...and I too think like I'm in my 40s although some might say I think like I'm in my teens...LOL! Thank goodness I don't dress like I'm in my teens...LOL!

Glad to be back!

Edited by mousey

Hey mousey...glad you have good news to share! We will just miss you in Florida, I think...we will be in Orlando, May 22 to May 29.

I have been doing a funny exercise...rereading my own Pictodiary trip reports...and it is very funny to me how many of the SAME clothes I am planning on bringing on my cruise. But first...

OMG MARGARET!!! Have you looked at pictures of you from 2012?!? I just saw your photos that you were taking when you were doing your work diary...WOW...you have really slimmed down since those other photos. I was a little surprised by what you looked like in the 2012 photos, because I have your slimmer, more pronounced jawline in my memory banks now. Just wanted to say...WTG!!

Meanwhile...it's a little depressing for me to be in opposite world...having gained...ah well. I can say that I am much happier with my hair now...I like it much better now compared to the September cruise.

I think it's slightly comical that I forgot makeup remover on the Spring Break 2012 AND September 2014 cruises...who knows if I had some for Spring Break 2014? I didn't have a pictodiary review of that one because of camera issues... So note to self...pack makeup remover!!

I believe that I have finalized my packing list:

Red salsa dress...formal one.

Margaret's dress...formal two.

Blue/orange print sundress.

Green/light tan print sundress (I have altered it to be more flattering).

Teal/coral print maxi skirt.

Solid teal tank top.

Teal lacy tank top.

Deep coral tank top.

Coral short sleeved shirt.

Light yellow hoodie.

Coral tone on tone scarf.

Green print swim suit.

Cargo swim suit.

Black skort.

Red rashguard.

Purple tunic cover up.

Extremely large almost pareo sized scarf...to be used as a pareo on board.

Black knit exercise capris.

Dark gray ultra-lightweight exercise capris.

Dark gray ultra-lightweight exercise capris.

Brown exercise tank top.

Blue exercise tank top.

Gray exercise tank top.

Multi-colored shoulder covering top.

Tan Bermuda golf shorts.

This equates to:

4 dresses appropriate for dinner...2 that could also be worn during the day.

1 skirt with 4 coordinating tops that could be worn to dinner.

1 shorts with 1 coordinating shoulder covering top for walking around port.

Swimwear and cover ups functional for shore and on board pool.

3 full exercise outfits for physical therapy.

The exercise tops could easily go with the black skort.

The coordinating tops could easily go with the tan shorts.

For 7 nights...

4 dresses

1 maxi skirt.

Repeat something twice...

Shoes:

Bronze lace-up oxfords. Formal.

Terracotta Tevas. Wet shoes.

Orange flat sandals.

Snow leopard print sneakers. Good for walking and physical therapy.

Also bringing:

Compression sleeves and socks.

No show socks for oxfords.

Exercise ankle socks.

Sun hat. Packable paper.

Sun visor. Packable paper.

Appropriate undergarments.

Pajamas.

Travel day:

Everything is based on the fact that I need to wear my full compression socks for travel. The compression sleeves are good...but not as good as my socks, and therefore...I MUST wear the socks. So I am wearing:

Maxi skirt

Teal tank

Yellow hoodie

Compression socks

Sneakers

I am planning on packing in a carry on only. I have a new bag that I recently purchased:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/mother-lode-tls-weekender-convertible/143101

I purposely opted to go for this bag over a wheeled bag. We'll see how it goes, but I'm excited for this new adventure.

I may or may not change my socks/shoes upon arrival in San Juan. The socks are a wool blend...my sleeves are a nylon blend. We'll see how it goes... I may choose to change from socks/sneakers to sleeve/sandals after we are on board. I believe that I might change my shirt before dinner...just to freshen up a bit, which is one reason why I have 4 shirts that will go with this skirt. I've chosen a long maxi-skirt as a sensible choice with knee high compression socks. I don't anticipate wearing the hoodie to dinner...I'll add the scarf for some added warmth on the shoulders.

Sorry if this is so dry and dull...it always helps me with my thoughts...and it's a wonderful record for to review again in the future!! LOL!

Oh...and Margaret? I did manage to teach everyone how to do The Hustle at our Curves dance party before I injured myself... I found a version where the singer had a kind of Jamaican sound...very fun.

I'm outta here on Saturday. Mom and Dad leave Friday...

SO CLOSE!!!