All things EARTH...

If I can, I will try to take some pictures for you of some of my better corals and blues. Think too of a lever or knob...you can go from high to low and everything in between, right? Imagine low being muted and high being clear and bright. You will want to be closer to muted but you will find that some of our colors are incredibly lively for being muted.

I don't know too much about the more expanded seasons but your tones may be more towards light autumn or mid than deep.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Lauri.

Truly. This is just my opinion, but… I don't think that you really posted a true FIRE type of picture. You were really, really close… but you weren't really BRIGHT, hurt-your-eyes type of bright in the colors that you chose. I think the closest color to FIRE might have been the blue (the second picture in the last color grouping). Training your eye to a true FIRE color is really difficult; it took me ages to truly get a real "feel" for what bright even meant.

I'm just chiming in to see that NO!… absolutely, you CAN have aquas and corals in your wardrobe. You just need to have a more muted version of the aquas and corals… and, trust me, they are really easy to find. Especially in aqua, I think that there is a line that is really close to being crossed where EARTH and FIRE ladies will look pretty good in the color… probably not as bright as FIRE needs and, maybe, not as muted as EARTH's most fabulous color option… but good enough! Good is really a great thing to strive for; perfect is really, really hard to achieve… and, sometimes, I wonder if it's really worth striving for.

So, that's just my 2 cents worth. Don't think that you have to give up a color that you love… just because. You really don't. You just need to find the right version of that color… for you.

Edit: Wow. I totally quoted the wrong post! Sorry. I meant to kind of reflect upon your statement about excluding aquas and corals from your wardrobe. Shoulder shrug. I think the problem is…. not ENOUGH wine this evening!

Well, that is good to know. I actually went through my closet with the fire chart up on my IPad, so I thought I was doing well! So, fire is even brighter than the shirts I chose!

I read through more of this thread and looked at colors that some of you earth women were choosing and I did not See some of the colors on the earth list. So, I think I am taking this way too literal. So when I think back to the 4 photos I posted last, probably the purple is the only "muted"color. That purple color is not on the earth list at all. I think the Aqua, coral and beige is very vibrant, not muted. Is that right?

So, thinking Vivienne Files and capsule wardrobes. I would be best served with bottoms that are chocolate brown and ?? I am very casual, so I assume a dark denim, not quite black would be ok?

I may post a few more pics to see if I understand this right. I want to show you what I feel is my earthy muted tones. Are you all game?

Lauri

Edited by lah66

If I can, I will try to take some pictures for you of some of my better corals and blues. Think too of a lever or knob...you can go from high to low and everything in between, right? Imagine low being muted and high being clear and bright. You will want to be closer to muted but you will find that some of our colors are incredibly lively for being muted.

I don't know too much about the more expanded seasons but your tones may be more towards light autumn or mid than deep.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Laurie,

That would be wonderful. I see you in your pictures in an orangey jacket..love that. Love your red dresses. One of your dresses looked more burgundy-ish and that made me happy! I love burgundy! And you wore white, granted you had a dark green scarf with it, but I didn't think we could wear white! I do not look good in white, cream, maybe!

Did you notice my glasses on my first post? They are burgundy, red, pink and purple stripes! I hope I did not make a mistake choosing them!

Thanks for taking your time to post pics for me!

Lauri

Lauri, one thing I remember from long ago was that denim choices could be helped by the thread color used to sew or decorate pockets: yellow for FIRE, gold for EARTH. I don't remember if silver was for AIR or ICE. Usually it is the right wash if those thread colors are used. It has worked for me.

For the overexposed picture...

Again...this is my theory...

I believe that if you are a "muted" person, then you have a thicker skin. It is the way that the light works with your skin. When you are overexposed from too hot a flash (like in a dark setting) then you end up looking like this, which is me:

P1100488_zps1wymypie.jpg

Obviously, this is NOT an attractive picture, but since you shared as I asked, I repay you in kind. :D You can also notice the "cloudy" quality to my eyes.

BUT...if you are a "clear" person, then you have what I think of as thin skin. And your skin doesn't reflect the light...it absorbs it. So when you are overexposed in a photo, you lose all your facial features, like the picture I linked before.

I don't hold with posting actual pictures of other people. Anyway, I've searched for a while and here is a great example:

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b533/SeattleTomm/MICHAELS%20BIRTHDAY%20PARTY%202013/IMG_0104_zps4560e06c.jpg

I would bet money that the woman on the right isn't Caucasian but she is WHITE in this photo because of the way that her skin is grabbing the light. If this photo were to be closer to her face, and continue to have the hot flash, then she would lose her facial features... Meanwhile, the man on the left, also not white...has muted skin. He will not lose his facial features.

Both Halle Berry and Penelope Cruz are Ices (Clear). See how their skin reacts to the hot flash:

373509-halle-berry-et-penelope-cruz-sur-le-300x196-2.jpg

Opera is an Earth...she is darker skinned, but still, can you see how their skins differ under the hot flash?:

halle-berry4.jpg

This photo is a good example of why I said that clear skin is "thin" and muted skin is "thick." Light penetrates the thin skin and it seems to sit on top of thick skin.

Edited by Anita Latte

Here's my "light" FIRE eye: [ATTACH]356942[/ATTACH]

YES! See the way that your eye has those clearer lines in it? Like cut glass or crystal...but mine in that horrible photo (while there are some of those same lines)...IDK...how can eyes be muted? IDK...the lines in my eyes aren't like that at all.

But the lines in Mom and Dad's eye each have that same look.

Well, that is good to know. I actually went through my closet with the fire chart up on my IPad, so I thought I was doing well! So, fire is even brighter than the shirts I chose!

I read through more of this thread and looked at colors that some of you earth women were choosing and I did not See some of the colors on the earth list. So, I think I am taking this way too literal. So when I think back to the 4 photos I posted last, probably the purple is the only "muted"color. That purple color is not on the earth list at all. I think the Aqua, coral and beige is very vibrant, not muted. Is that right?

So, thinking Vivienne Files and capsule wardrobes. I would be best served with bottoms that are chocolate brown and ?? I am very casual, so I assume a dark denim, not quite black would be ok?

I may post a few more pics to see if I understand this right. I want to show you what I feel is my earthy muted tones. Are you all game?

Lauri

We are totally game!

Here's the deal...

Get it...

Embrace it...

And spend the rest of your life searching for it...

You can wear ANY color...ANY color at all...so long as it is muted and warm.

While the color may not be the "traditional" version of the color...it will exist is a form that will look fabulous on you.

You can wear all the colors of the rainbow...you just have to learn to train your eye to find warm and muted blue (very hard)...warm and muted teal (much easier)...warm and muted coral (easier than you think)...warm and muted gray?...(not so easy)...warm and muted green? (piece of cake).

Now some colors get other weird undertones...like mustard.

You have to watch out that the "golden rod" color that you try doesn't have that awful green undertone. It DOESN'T work.

I think my avatar picture is still the one of the mustard colored shirt that didn't pass muster...ah well. It isn't cut and dry.

(Passing muster means that it didn't bring me joy. NOT that is was a bad Earth color!)

Which is one reason why we started our support group!! LOL!!!

Edited by Anita Latte

Lauri, one thing I remember from long ago was that denim choices could be helped by the thread color used to sew or decorate pockets: yellow for FIRE, gold for EARTH. I don't remember if silver was for AIR or ICE. Usually it is the right wash if those thread colors are used. It has worked for me.

Great tip...so look for gold threads in my denim! Thanks Lauri

For the overexposed picture...

Again...this is my theory...

I believe that if you are a "muted" person, then you have a thicker skin. It is the way that the light works with your skin. When you are overexposed from too hot a flash (like in a dark setting) then you end up looking like this, which is me:

P1100488_zps1wymypie.jpg

Obviously, this is NOT an attractive picture, but since you shared as I asked, I repay you in kind. :D You can also notice the "cloudy" quality to my eyes.

BUT...if you are a "clear" person, then you have what I think of as thin skin. And your skin doesn't reflect the light...it absorbs it. So when you are overexposed in a photo, you lose all your facial features, like the picture I linked before.

Great explanation! Funny, I kept taking more pictures because I was not disappearing like the girl in the picture you posted! I thought I wasn't doing it right. I finally figured this was the best I was going to get! Too funny! I totally get it! This is making more sense.

I will have to post more pics..maybe of just the clothes, not me in them, to speed things up! But not tonight...bedtime!

Thanks again for all you wonderful ladies! It has been fun!

Lauri

One last post for me...

Back in the day, we were doing color parties...here is my "coral" color party, which contains coral through rust and some other oranges in there:

019_zpsytfca075.jpg

One of the Fire ladies would have to group all their lovely coral, etc., colors and take a photo for you to see the difference.

I read through more of this thread and looked at colors that some of you earth women were choosing and I did not See some of the colors on the earth list. So, I think I am taking this way too literal.

I think I said this before...but to be specific...do NOT take the whole color thing too literally. There is no true way to find an all-inclusive color chart that will show all the Earth colors.

And some of us have been talking about how, even within the Earth spectrum, there are colors that are better on us than others. I think that many of us feel we look better in the deeper, richer colors than the paler colors.

Looking at the Vivienne Files and the capsule wardrobes...

She tends to use solids a lot. Solids in a neutral color. The takeaway though...is that you just need colors that will coordinate and "play nice" with others. I guess that is the definition of a neutral BUT depending on your own personal color choices, it can be any Earth color.

But, judging your post, you want an Earth neutral.

So yes on the chocolate brown.

Tan/Khaki is another good one. The preference would be for the golden kind of tan:

282476_115_41?rgn=0,0,1950,2250&scl=4.55607476635514&id=FU4hA2

NOT as much this kind of "Khaki":

282476_41927_41?rgn=0,0,1950,2250&scl=4.55607476635514&id=dHZgM3

When tan like colors get a "taupe" kind of vibe...they will not coordinate as well with your Earth colors. Certain colors may still look okay...but the taupe will not work as well as a golden tan.

Olive Green is another good "neutral" for Earth...but again...it will work with more true Earth colors if your Olive Green is more yellow-y:

cn9283665.jpg

And not as ashy as this:

cn9594222.jpg

These are colors that we are somewhat used to seeing as neutrals. However, keep in mind that any color can function as a "Core of Four".

Dark denim is usually a really great Earth neutral.

Anita,

I didn't know that dark denim is a good Earth color...good to know as I love denim and pretty much live in it. I'll only be buying dark wash from now on. Thanks for the info!

I already put together an outfit for our upcoming Christmas cruise...LOL! My tan leather, short moto jacket with a long, white lace tank (I'm looking to trade the white one for a coral one at TJ Maxx if I can find my size), dark wash jeans, and my dark brown suede, short-heeled booties. I plan to wear this on my last night of the cruise and change the tank out for the trip home.

I'm going to wait until late Nov. to buy something festive for our anniversary dinner in the steakhouse (which I've been reading is really good on the Miracle) and for Christmas dinner. So excited!

Edited by mousey

One other thing--if you Pinterest, do a search and take a look at Soft Autumn. It may have more colors that you are drawn to. Your mileage may vary.

I looked up soft autumn and found many colors I already have in my closet! Even my burgundy was there! How do you know if you are an autumn or a "soft" autumn? I don't want to change just to suit my personal color choice. or maybe it doesn't matter?

Thanks for the tip! Seeing those colors makes me very happy!

Lauri

One last post for me...

Back in the day, we were doing color parties...here is my "coral" color party, which contains coral through rust and some other oranges in there:

019_zpsytfca075.jpg

One of the Fire ladies would have to group all their lovely coral, etc., colors and take a photo for you to see the difference.

I love all these colors! Yeah! I guess I am somewhat of a girly girl when it comes to clothes and I do not gravitate towards Browns, khaki or army greens! Those seem too masculine for me but they do look great on other people. But I will take the corals!!

Lauri

b286ed3d-0db7-4338-8286-9549954ab9e4_zpsfrr6ssgk.jpg~original

P1100488_zps1wymypie.jpg

373509-halle-berry-et-penelope-cruz-sur-le-300x196-2.jpg

Now...we have to remember that this is just my theory...all about the way that light plays on the different skin types.

I was looking at the photos again today...and I have to say that, Lauri, your overly bright flash picture didn't come out like mine at all.

Mom did a test at her house...and her camera is too good. She can't get her flash hot enough to turn her skin white. She has perfect flesh toned skin in her "hot" picture.

But both of our skin is white. But the quality of the white skin is different.

I'm second guessing the Earth v Fire again.

I'd love to see you in your burgundy that you love Lauri. AND, when you take that, I would retake the blue, the black and the heathered gray all in one photo taking session.

Hopefully, your burgundy is warm and not cool...hopefully, it would be a good Earth color. And we can see.

Especially hearing that you had to blow up your eye photo. Having seen the photos of the eyes...would you say that your eyes are more cloudy looking or have that more vibrant quality?

I don't know what kind of camera you have, Lauri, but for the eye photo, your camera needs to be on a setting that allows the subject to be within 2 feet. I had a camera that had a flower icon that denoted an extra close subject. I think some food settings might be similar too?

As to the whole "soft autumn" etc. I haven't gotten into that. The closest that I've come to anything like that is to think that more saturated colors look better on me than paler colors. That's it.

I'm worried that we might have made a mistake in picking Earth.

We need a discount doublecheck.

I can definitely take more pictures. In burgundy (I believe it is a muted color), the Aqua, black and gray.

My eyes are definitely muted..nothing shiny or sparkly about them! The pictures you posted and the blue eyes posted are obviously vibrant! Mine are not that! I think the picture resembles my eyes fully. I can look at my camera settings and see if I can get a better one. I think we are definitely on the right track with fire and earth.

My camera is a Canon S5IS. It's probably 5 years old but takes good pics. I was in a tiny half bath, pitch black, if that matters at all.

I do have to work this weekend so I may be slow to post...

Lauri