All things EARTH...

I made a trek to Dillard's today. Bathing suits are on an additional 30% off thru Saturday. Bought 3 suits for DH for $15 each & he likes them all (can you go wrong with cargo short style swimsuits for guys?). Then I made the mistake of looking for women's bathing suits...I found an animal print, handkerchief hem swim top (it'll go with black or chocolate bottoms). Then I found a tropical print, turquoise & hot pink on ivory handkerchief hem top (I happen to have a turquoise swim skirt that matches perfectly. DHs comment, animal print really nice, but the flowers are so you [emoji7] (love my guy). A bit pricey, even on sale, originally $125 per top (!) I paid $31 each planning on taking one back but DH said, no, they both fit nicely & I like them both...they also look really nice with capris as a top. I now have 12 bathing suits (!) & all fit...it's a disease! I'll have to get a pictures this weekendMelody

Edited by awhfy

I will post more tomorrow but I had a great day shopping. It was a lot of fun to spend time with my daughter. A lot of stores still have summer items and then what I call late summer, where they are moving away from shorts and sundresses in light colors and moving towards slightly heavier fabrics and sleeves. I saw a lot of this brownish purple color and burgundy. The high necklines are still popular though. JC Penney was a bit odd...their work type clothing was summery a d jewel toned. It didn't appear to be leftovers, it looked like new stock?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I tride on this dress and really liked it. It was muted and seemed more warm than cool. Purple can takeon many appearances so I was confused. I've been thinking about it a lot though

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/ruched-bodycon-dress-with-hardware-neckline?site_refer=CSE_GGLPRADS001_LT&prod_id=0300-EJ3M4711&CAWELAID=120178030001258885&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=120178030000917220&cadevice=t&gclid=CM2ewpOshMcCFceQHwodOO8I_A

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

That was supposed to say tried...I can't edit from my phone. The actual color of that dress was nice. I'm still thinking about it a lot, especially with it being on sale. I can get an additional 20% off.

Pam, it never dawned on me about that dress that the placement of the pattern was...interesting.

There is a lot of cool white background. I know when I see a black background like that, I walk away no matter how good the earth colors are. I was looking more at the rest of the colors. The cornflower blue type color at the waist is definitely cool. I looked for the dress in the store yesterday to see what it looked like in real life but didn't see it.

Just the way the model is shaped, the back does look like a bullseye on her behind, lol.

I did some catalog window shopping last night. I think this dress reads EARTH even though it has some black and gray in it, what do you think?

http://www.chadwicks.com/item/42529/400104/crinkled-boho-print-dress-misses

This has a very Ralph Lauren feel to it:

http://www.chadwicks.com/item/41078/400104/short-corduroy-shirtdress-misses

Look olive! This style would be perfect for no-waist me. I wonder if it reads too cool though:

http://www.chadwicks.com/products.asp?sku=42501&categoryid=9999

Love that this blazer in brown houndstooth has some teal in it:

http://www.chadwicks.com/products.asp?sku=10738&categoryid=9999

Margaret , All your clothes posts are making me miss Fall . Fall was always my favorite time of year but in Florida Fall is a non event . Lots of football in hot weather and everybody still wears the same things . This year we will be Tennessee for fall so I will get a touch of it . That crinkle dress is so cute . I would buy that in a minute to wear with leggings and ballet flats .

Wow! Looks like everyone has some great travel plans.

Enjoying all the discussion about colors. I still really believe I'm an Earth but just can't seem to stop buying black, white, and navy...they are just my favorite colors. I ran some different colors by the DH but he said I looked good in all of them so he was no help...LOL! Sweet but no help as to which colors looked best on me. I'm going to run some colors by my BF when she comes to town later this year. She'll be brutally honest...which is a good thing.:D

I went to a wedding last weekend and wore a black cotton knit sweater over a long, black and white "mullet" type print skirt. I also had on a black, crushed velvet beret and black patent gladiator sandals. My jewelry consisted of rhinestone ball-shaped studs, and a long, black, statement necklace made up of black gross-grain ribbon, black faux pearls, and a double strand at the bottom of large, black, teardrop-shaped beads. I wore my silver rings but no bracelets as the necklace was enough. I got lots of compliments on the necklace and my friend's brother, whom I met for the first time, made the comment that I looked very "artsy". I took that as a compliment...LOL! Oh yeah, and by the way, for the first time in a very long time, I wore red lipstick. I loved how it looked and forgot about how much I liked the way it looked on me. I don't know, I'm like Cholla Chick...I just can't seem to stay away from black. So, my question is...why does an Earth person like me love black so much??? Any ideas???

Edited by mousey

Thanks so much Ladies for shopping! Your comments on the clothing colors are all making sense to me and helping me train my eye. I assume you are all earths here, right? I don't want to be confused if a regular poster here is a fire and she is posting what I would assume are earth clothes! Laurie, that Lord and Taylor dress is gorgeous! My issue is I need a great bra so I need wide straps! Love the shape of it!

I have today off and have no plans for the afternoon so I think I will find a north facing window, put up a dark backdrop, scrub off my makeup and take some pictures! I will do the gray, black, Aqua and rust (in the form of scrapbook paper!). I also will do my burgundy I love so much, plus the blue/rusty/ cream floral Chaps shirt, and a few other things in my wardrobe that I love and I think are earthy colors! Be brutally honest with me! I may lay out a bunch of tops I think are earth and you can be the judge! If I lay out clothes, is it better to have a white or dark background?

Lauri

Ok I tried one of my favorite tshirts (which I'd say is a fire colorImageUploadedByForums1438366831.528609.jpg.d0685a5613ffae7ea628f94b5d1d292a.jpg. I know I get compliments when I wear it. Maybe I'm an Earthy/Fire? Melody. Don't mind the swollen jaw, major dental work this morning ;(

Edited by awhfy

Melody, I find my eye is migrating to the shirt, not to you wearing the shirt. I could be wrong, but I am thinking it's too bright for you. I look forward to what the others have to say.

Lauri, many of us here are earth but not all. Member123 (Pam) is Anita's mother and she is a fire. Joby and Aokinkentucky are also fires.

We are all friends that help each other out though!!

I think I am learning from you ladies!

The first thing I thought when I saw your picture, awhfy, is that the shirt was wearing you! I think those are Anita's words she used with someone else! Gorgeous color, yes, but it is overshadowing, not enhancing your beauty! I am so glad you ladies are so honest and up front with each other! It is great to have a group of people like you who are only positive and helpful, not negative and snarky!

I said something along the same lines in a previous post. I have a navy blue/silver stripe shirt that is not earthy at all and people always give me compliments. Anita said maybe it is the style or the fit. I took a look in the mirror and asked the DH, and he told me flat out, the girls looks great, the waist looks tiny! So it's not the color, it's the style and fit that is bringing on those compliments!

I just took more pics but need to wait until DH is done with the computer to post them. Very difficult to do selfies with a large camera! I am not sure if my lighting was right, though. I tried two different shirts, jade and a med greenish blue and both looked blue in the pics. I did not include those pics. I have very little that is earthy in my closet.

Can we play a little game? I will give you a link to a shirt at Kohls. I will tell you what colors I think are earthy. You tell me the right answer and tell me why I am wrong!

http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-560857/sonoma-life-style-everyday-camisole-womens.jsp

Signature olive, Tomato purée, pea coat, pink parade? The swatch looks more earthy than the whole cami does. Likewise Very berry and chick yellow. Swartches look earthy but when you look at the Camis, they may be too bright??

Lauri

Here are some patterns to make it tougher!

leopard snake ok

Fresh salmon and orange heat swatches looks ok but shirt as a whole looks too bright?

http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-1732260/dana-buchman-knot-front-top-womens.jsp

Here's another:

http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-2130165/croft-barrow-essential-crewneck-tee-womens.jsp

Beige Palm, green Palm, Tango red?, Heliotrope, grape leaf, Antique linen and punch ok?

That's not a lot of choices!

Lauri

Melody...

It's so hard to convey exactly how clear and warm Fire colors really are...

Melody...that's an Earth colored shirt.

It takes a lot of effort and study to determine if a color is clear or muted. Especially when colors are highly saturated.

We started doing color parties to try to help us educate our eye. It was absolutely exhausting to do...partly because we were learning as we went...partly because it just took a lot of effort to do. I'm not sure that we made it past green.

Anyway...here you go. The above photo is Mom's Fire Green Party. The below photo is my Earth Green Party:

PicMonkey%20Collage%20Green_zpsvvdrd6eg.jpg

I have often said that Fire colors have a "hurt your eyes" kind of quality to them. They are just so CLEAR...grab your sunglasses, it's a Fire color! And as I said...we were learning as we went. We ultimately discovered that the print in the Fire green color party was NOT Fire at all.

Now the coral shirt you have on reminds me a lot of this one coral shirt that Mom used to have. The color SEEMED bright...but it was just really intense...but not clear. It was an INTENSE, muted color. Which is like, whaaaat?!?

We pulled it out of Mom's wardrobe because it totally turned her gray and she gave it to me and it was fabulous on me. I made a side by side of Mom and I in the same shirt (she hated that)...she looked gray and I was sparkling. I think I didn't save these photos when I switched computers and transferred some but not all of my photos. I used it for my avatar for a while...so it might ring a bell with some of the ladies.

Unfortunately, Mom never did a coral/orange color party. But one thing we have learned is that there is a bit of blending together that happens, even when you mix different colors together. Fire colors are seem to be harmonious together...same with Earth. This is the best that I can do to try to help you train your eye:

PicMonkey%20Collage%20Help_zps3mxy4lc7.jpg

Obviously...those are Fire greens...those are Earth corals/oranges/rusts/plums/red...I'm wearing the intense coral shirt I mentioned...and your coral shirt appears very similar to it...AND your coral blends in very well with the Earthy party...

In the color party, the coral shirt I am wearing is in the second row from the top, the third one to the right. So you can see that it IS one of the more intense colors in the party. It does SEEM brighter...and it may be...brighter that is. But that doesn't make it clear. It is still muted...it still blends.

Here's one last example to try to help you see what I'm trying to explain:

PicMonkey%20Collage%20Compare_zpsxylpshlj.jpg

My Earth corals and greens "go together" but neither of color parties "goes" with the Fire one.

Melody...your shirt is an intense coral...it is NOT clear. It is muted. It is Earth. You SHOULD get lots of complements in it!

It looks fabulous on you!!

Actually, when Anita made the photo larger, I could see more of you, Melody, and less of the shirt. It is a nice color on you! Sorry for my novice guess! I think from now on, I will be a quiet participant in the guessing games!

That makes me so happy to hear the explanation of intense vs clear. I tend to like more intense colors and I thought earths could not wear them. This color thing is not very straight forward! I think I am more confused! I need photos!

Lauri

Can we play a little game? I will give you a link to a shirt at Kohls. I will tell you what colors I think are earthy. You tell me the right answer and tell me why I am wrong!

In theory, this is a fun game. But it isn't an easy game. In fact, the answer to these questions is partly what our color threads are all about. First and foremost, color swatches are just a representation of a color...and they may not be accurate. Second, they will look different on everyone's monitors or screens depending on how monitors and screens are calibrated. Next, a lot of "photos" are just photoshopped images...where the color of a shirt has been changed by software...so that has all kinds of problems for trying to determine if a color is warm and muted IRL. And last, even if there IS an actual photo...there is a lot about the environment that the photo is taken in that affects the way the photo looks.

So even if we THINK it looks Earthy...may not be. Even if we think it isn't...could be.

Here is the best example that I made to demonstrate the effect of environment on photography. This is the same shirt taken in 3 different photos...the only thing that is different is what part of the Earth Color Card is next to the shirt in the photograph. And yet, this same shirt in the exact same place, taken seconds apart...looks 3 different colors:

PicMonkey%20Collage%20Deception_zpsckr1ricx.jpg

So PLEASE understand that this is the game we play. Do you think this is Earth? And all we can do is offer a best guess.

http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-560857/sonoma-life-style-everyday-camisole-womens.jsp

Signature olive, Tomato purée, pea coat, pink parade? The swatch looks more earthy than the whole cami does. Likewise Very berry and chick yellow. Swartches look earthy but when you look at the Camis, they may be too bright??

Highly likely to be Earth: Signature Olive, Tomato Puree, Bright Peach (names mean nothing...that isn't that bright on my monitor), Chick Yellow, and Double Cream.

Possibly Earth: Peacoat, Pink Parade, Ceramic (looks pretty bright...but it would be worth a double check).

Here are some patterns to make it tougher!

leopard snake ok

Fresh salmon and orange heat swatches looks ok but shirt as a whole looks too bright?

http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-1732260/dana-buchman-knot-front-top-womens.jsp

Likely Earth: Fresh Salmon and Orange.

Possibly Earth: Vibrant Aqua

Leopard Snake is not likely Earth. There is a pink element to that tan...and the black and there's white, too. The yellow may be a bit Earthy, but overall, this is looking like a pattern that doesn't look great on anyone because it isn't any one Element/Season.

Patterns are hard because you have to determine how the whole pattern reads...even if there are non-Earth colors in it.

So there are elements of Earth in every other stripe of "Fernie Animal Stripe" and every other stripe looks like Air. IRL...this may actually work okay. Especially if you need a shirt like this...and picking out the brown in the pattern for some sort of scarf may help make it work better. (It isn't great though...you understand...but part of what we do here is talk about how we make do and make it work better as we continue the hunt for the best.)

The same could be said for Limerick Stripe. That's a lovely looking Earthy Teal (maybe) with some tan elements and unfortunately Black and a bit of white. The big question is if you can get one that has more teal around the neckline and/or if you can accessorize with teal to somehow bring that closer to the face.

Again...trying to "make it work" because it is so hard to find patterns that are true.

I believe this is because a certain amount of contrast is very pleasing to many people. The perfect Earth version of Limerick Stripe would be to use Chocolate brown instead of Black, Cream instead of white, and make sure that the Tan color was a Golden Tan or even a Cognac color like the Vivienne Files has been recently mentioning.

Here's another:

http://mobile.kohls.com/product/prd-2130165/croft-barrow-essential-crewneck-tee-womens.jsp

Beige Palm, green Palm, Tango red?, Heliotrope, grape leaf, Antique linen and punch ok?

Beige Palm...maybe...but the white could be too dominant.

Same with Green Palm...that or the black on that one.

Tango Red...maybe. It isn't fighting those gray pants, so could be cool.

Heliotrope...same as the red. Isn't fighting the gray...so could be cool.

Grape Leaf...maybe again. Has quite a bit of gray...could be one of those gray ARMY greens that are actually Air. Kind of blends with the gray.

Antique linen...maybe. Seems a bit too pink on my monitor.

Punch. No. Pretty all sure. NO. That falls into a "Raspberry" kind of color that doesn't really work well on Earth. That's the thing...there isn't too much into pink that Earth wears. Earth wears Orange and Orangey pinks. The closest that has looked decent is the old "Salmon" colored crayon.

Lemon Meringue is a possible Earth. Especially pictured with the blue denim. But it does look a little lemony to me...but you'd have to check it IRL.

Also worth a double check IRL would be Apricot Blush, which looks more orangey than Strawberry Pink, but may not have enough orange to be Earth.

Here are some of my tops that I think may be earth and I get compliments when I wear them. And of course, my beloved burgundy which I am not deciding should not be so beloved!

b3aeb533-95e2-4992-b10e-2581a398a4b2_zpsiihbocaj.jpg~original

a3b50ab4-f85a-4c37-a641-cb2c948970bf_zpssbqzqfpn.jpg~original

c5ae1ee4-a652-4f1b-b535-fd443275d005_zpsewxnfhbo.jpg~original

d92a313a-56b5-4049-9b76-b611071cf091_zpsvb2wybdo.jpg~original

Here are a bunch of my tops ranging from pink through coral to deep burgundy. Are there any that stand out that are not earth? The middle one is "intense, but muted", I think. The pink one on the upper left is too clear, I believe. I just read through Anitas post really quickly and what she said about monitor colors had not dawned on me. So, maybe this isnt so straight forward.

<a href=a92e4ec9-db3d-4dc0-ad12-e3fe991e104c_zps

Lauri...where is the purple v-neck sweater from before?

Which shirt in your collage is the solid coral-ish shirt you are wearing in the first picture?

And are your burgundy scrubs in that collage picture? Are they on the bottom right?

Edited by Anita Latte

In theory, this is a fun game. But it isn't an easy game. In fact, the answer to these questions is partly what our color threads are all about. First and foremost, color swatches are just a representation of a color...and they may not be accurate. Second, they will look different on everyone's monitors or screens depending on how monitors and screens are calibrated. Next, a lot of "photos" are just photoshopped images...where the color of a shirt has been changed by software...so that has all kinds of problems for trying to determine if a color is warm and muted IRL. And last, even if there IS an actual photo...there is a lot about the environment that the photo is taken in that affects the way the photo looks.

So even if we THINK it looks Earthy...may not be. Even if we think it isn't...could be.

Here is the best example that I made to demonstrate the effect of environment on photography. This is the same shirt taken in 3 different photos...the only thing that is different is what part of the Earth Color Card is next to the shirt in the photograph. And yet, this same shirt in the exact same place, taken seconds apart...looks 3 different colors:

PicMonkey%20Collage%20Deception_zpsckr1ricx.jpg

So PLEASE understand that this is the game we play. Do you think this is Earth? And all we can do is offer a best guess.

Highly likely to be Earth: Signature Olive, Tomato Puree, Bright Peach (names mean nothing...that isn't that bright on my monitor), Chick Yellow, and Double Cream.

Possibly Earth: Peacoat, Pink Parade, Ceramic (looks pretty bright...but it would be worth a double check).

Likely Earth: Fresh Salmon and Orange.

Possibly Earth: Vibrant Aqua

Leopard Snake is not likely Earth. There is a pink element to that tan...and the black and there's white, too. The yellow may be a bit Earthy, but overall, this is looking like a pattern that doesn't look great on anyone because it isn't any one Element/Season.

Patterns are hard because you have to determine how the whole pattern reads...even if there are non-Earth colors in it.

So there are elements of Earth in every other stripe of "Fernie Animal Stripe" and every other stripe looks like Air. IRL...this may actually work okay. Especially if you need a shirt like this...and picking out the brown in the pattern for some sort of scarf may help make it work better. (It isn't great though...you understand...but part of what we do here is talk about how we make do and make it work better as we continue the hunt for the best.)

The same could be said for Limerick Stripe. That's a lovely looking Earthy Teal (maybe) with some tan elements and unfortunately Black and a bit of white. The big question is if you can get one that has more teal around the neckline and/or if you can accessorize with teal to somehow bring that closer to the face.

Again...trying to "make it work" because it is so hard to find patterns that are true.

I believe this is because a certain amount of contrast is very pleasing to many people. The perfect Earth version of Limerick Stripe would be to use Chocolate brown instead of Black, Cream instead of white, and make sure that the Tan color was a Golden Tan or even a Cognac color like the Vivienne Files has been recently mentioning.

Beige Palm...maybe...but the white could be too dominant.

Same with Green Palm...that or the black on that one.

Tango Red...maybe. It isn't fighting those gray pants, so could be cool.

Heliotrope...same as the red. Isn't fighting the gray...so could be cool.

Grape Leaf...maybe again. Has quite a bit of gray...could be one of those gray ARMY greens that are actually Air. Kind of blends with the gray.

Antique linen...maybe. Seems a bit too pink on my monitor.

Punch. No. Pretty all sure. NO. That falls into a "Raspberry" kind of color that doesn't really work well on Earth. That's the thing...there isn't too much into pink that Earth wears. Earth wears Orange and Orangey pinks. The closest that has looked decent is the old "Salmon" colored crayon.

Lemon Meringue is a possible Earth. Especially pictured with the blue denim. But it does look a little lemony to me...but you'd have to check it IRL.

Also worth a double check IRL would be Apricot Blush, which looks more orangey than Strawberry Pink, but may not have enough orange to be Earth.

WOW! Thank you so much!

There is so much guesswork when you are internet shopping! I would imagine most of you shop in person since you know your colors! I did not think about my monitor making the colors look different than your monitor! And if the lighting conditions at the time the photo was taken changed the color to begin with!! I had not considered any of those things!

I cannot believe that is the same purple sweater in all three photos. If you said they were taken morning, noon and night, I could understand them looking different. But just moments apart?? Crazy. And I have no clue if it is Earth or not! I think the 1st and 3rd look muted, but in the 2nd photo the color appears clear.

So, I got some answers right! That is encouraging! I think you talked about the Leopard Snake print or something very close to that from Kohls earlier in the week. The tan is too pink...put that one in the memory bank! And you are right, I was afraid to choose " Bright Peach" because they said it was bright! But it is definitely a muted peach color, it is not a pinky peach. And patterns are tough especially with black and white. How do you determine what color the pattern reads? Is it usually the dominant color? Can you squint and determine what color stands out? And I get what you mean to add a brown scarf or teal necklace to make that color more predominant around your face. Good tip!

You mentioned that a few of the top colors were not fighting with the gray pants the model was wearing. The pants are cool (right?) so you would expect the colors that would coordinate the best would be cool too? So the lemon meringue top paired with dark jeans may very well be muted or they would have just kept the model in the gray jeans!?

Too bad about raspberry/punch colors! I swear those are good colors on me, or so I thought! And how do you deal with dressing room lighting? Have you ever bought something and thought it looked great then got it home and it was awful?

A huge Thank You Oh Patient Teachers! I promise I will continue to do my homework diligently!

Lauri

Lauri...I'm just ACHING to see you in a Fire color...

Just want so bad to SEE it...because I'm just not positive about the effect of these Earths on you.

Must admit...not loving the rust...but wondering if it has to do with the effect of the sheen of the paper?

The Bright Blue shirt is bright...but I think it's Ice. It doesn't fight that ashy brown behind you as much as I would expect a warm aqua to do. Also...it isn't going as well with your tawny hair and eyes as I would expect a warmer color to do...

The blue/orange print feels like the best of the bunch...BUT...without a true Fire color...or at least one close enough to see some sort of effect on your face...well, IDK.

And the other possible Earth colors...well...IDK if they are truly Earth.

And some of these look like there's some flash involved...so wanted to double check on that.

Can tell you this...you are NOT an Ice or Air! :rolleyes:

Lauri...where is the purple v-neck sweater from before?

Which shirt in your collage is the solid coral-ish shirt you are wearing in the first picture?

And are your burgundy scrubs in that collage picture? Are they on the bottom right?

Oops.. I thought you wanted just black, gray, rust and the Aqua. I can take a photo tomorrow around the same time these were taken (it is clouded up now) in the purple sweater.

The coral shirt is the top right of the 9. Dang it, the scrub top is not in there but is closer in color to the middle bottom row top. The one on the right is much darker. I can take that photo again with the scrub top added.

No flash on any of the pictures.

Any other pics I should take?

Lauri

Lauri...I'm just ACHING to see you in a Fire color...

Just want so bad to SEE it...because I'm just not positive about the effect of these Earths on you.

Must admit...not loving the rust...but wondering if it has to do with the effect of the sheen of the paper?

The Bright Blue shirt is bright...but I think it's Ice. It doesn't fight that ashy brown behind you as much as I would expect a warm aqua to do. Also...it isn't going as well with your tawny hair and eyes as I would expect a warmer color to do...

The blue/orange print feels like the best of the bunch...BUT...without a true Fire color...or at least one close enough to see some sort of effect on your face...well, IDK.

And the other possible Earth colors...well...IDK if they are truly Earth.

And some of these look like there's some flash involved...so wanted to double check on that.

Can tell you this...you are NOT an Ice or Air! :rolleyes:

But I thought the Aqua was Fire!! Oh shoot! Let me dig through everyone's closet and find something that hurts my eyes! I will go back and look at your Mom's Green Party!

Thanks for hanging in there with me!

Lauri

Ok. I'm so sorry.

Here is the right combo of photos...yes...there are too many. OMG.

Anyway...what I did was to open your Bright Blue photo in Paint. This is not a photo editing type of software...so all I did was paint a more aqua color on you!

PicMonkey%20Collage%20Lauri%20IceorFire_zpskh25oqch.jpg

This isn't super sophisticated...and obviously we can't get a true accounting for how the color is truly reflecting on your face...but for me...the more aqua color does influence the way the same picture looks!

You skin tone blends just a bit more and your eyes pop just a bit more...and your hair color is just a bit more lively...

Yes, PLEASE...find a FIRE color. I HAVE to see it. And I have to see it in comparison to an Earth. I pick the blue/orange shirt for your representative Earth color.

Just those two taken in a single session please?