All things EARTH...

I love the classic look of that coat. That can work with jeans or a work outfit. I always think a coat doesn't matter but when I have a meeting outside the office, I really like to show up looking polished and classy. This is perfect for that.

I can't bring up the link for the dress I wanted to show you as I think it is sold out. I am glad I got it for just $23.00.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

The Vivienne Files did the soft peach accent color to the summer wardrobe.

Margaret...I was also excited to see her do a casual summer wardrobe in a light colored neutral. I'm very attracted to the tone on tone quality of what she put together for that. I'm still conflicted on how much I really like the idea of the matching "cores of 4" and have been thinking that I would prefer more of a close but not matching kind of grouping. She seemed to do that with the common wardrobe base for summer...Really liked it.

And the peach mixed in there is nice. Knowing me...I'm sure everyone is super surprised to know that I was thinking green. LOL. And tones of that.

I've been looking into the 12-16 season pages and that idea of there being 3-4 sub-palettes within each season. I've never really wanted to get that detailed in the idea of "my colors" before...but I think instinctively we have all realized that there are better colors within the general genre of Earth for each of us.

I'm torn though because all the descriptions of the subsets of Autumn are pushing me into the "soft" category and I'm not sure that I agree with that. I have always felt that I looked a better with a richer color...but now, I'm wavering...thinking about doing some pictures.

I still have these two shirts from last go round of shirt shopping that have the tags. I haven't fully committed to owning them yet. I need to do some pictures to see if they really are keepers or not. One color would definitely fall into the "Soft Autumn" and the other seems more "Warm Autumn".

What I'm wondering, after reading the descriptions for the color analysts of how the different sub-palettes affect skin tone...for instance how a Warm Autumn color is so negative for someone that is a Deep Autumn...is what this means when we try to help other people identify themselves.

Like for Lauri and her pictures. And how there seems to be some difficulty there...

And for Melody and her feelings about how her changed hair color has changed her EARTHiness from her younger days.

Melody...I know you haven't seen anything in the pictures to alter your perception of how the colors you wear look on you. And the comment about wearing black from the hairdresser...I totally get that.

When I look back on your 4-box...your eyes are popping in the black shirt. On my screen, your skin is just SO pink on that one that I thought the eye popping wine color was better. You skin is more "normal" looking in that color on my screen.

When I said that your pictures are small...it is because you make them attachments here on the forum. If you are familiar with the concept...they are literally a thumbnail sized picture. I can click on it and make it SLIGHTLY bigger...but that blurs the picture even more than they already are.

In comparison...when Laurie posts her photos...I think I could fit 3-4 of your pictures width-wise into one of hers...same on the vertical. So, really, your photos are about 1/9 to 1/16 the size of Laurie's. The photos you posted that are a closer shot of your face ARE more helpful to see...but still not giving the impact to help with needing bigger photos.

I don't have a smart phone. I use the forum on my computer. So, if you only use the forum with your phone...I'm not sure how to help advise you. What Per did with the link to whatever site that was...THAT was awesome.

I don't know if you could do that.

Let me explain the advantage of NOT attaching photos to your posts. When you attach photos to your post, they are here forever. It's true that someone needs to be signed into the forum in order to see the photos...but the photos will always be visible. If you post a link, or source the photo from an outside storage website...then you are in control of your photo. You can remove the photos from the other storage website and basically erase the photo from this forum.

It also has the advantage of having photos that are big...so that you can really see the subject matter.

After listening to your comments on your negative feelings about how you look in EARTH colors...I wonder if you would benefit from seeing one of the people that are trained in the 12-season system.

I wonder if you are DEEP Autumn. Deep Autumn includes jewel-like warm colors. Not bright and clear though. Think rich. And dark. They advise to stay away from "muddy colors." I have also found "Dark Autumn" in the labeling.

You always describe your former hair color as auburn...which implies to me that you are trying to get across that your hair was dark with red tones...not necessarily one of the lighter, coppery reds.

I find that this idea would be in keeping with the hairdresser comment and the idea that "typical Earth" colors wash you out and make you look "muddy".

I feel bad that you haven't had an AH-HA moment. For one...I think that it would lovely for everyone in the world to have that moment. Everyone needs to experience not only the personal pleasure of looking at themselves and feeling lovely...but also, to have others express admiration toward our appearance.

It matters. It feels good. There is so much in the world that doesn't...and this is such a simple way to set ourselves up for that potential day after day...simply by choosing what color to wear.

Laurie...after hanging out with my British lady friends...I have really understood how wearing a coat can have a positive impact on appearance. I finally purchased one last year.

I purchased a shorter pea coat style, which fits best with my more casual lifestyle. Mine is a fab green...which again...fits in nicely with the majority of my clothes.

Mom said once that she read an article in a magazine (or somewhere), I thought on one of her trips to Europe that talked about where European women will INVEST in their wardrobe. Where they spend more money.

One was definitely a great coat. Get a good one because everyone will see it all the time.

I think another was a handbag...also because everyone sees your handbag.

Where was that info from again Mom?

Well...I'm off to try to look nicer for the last coffee with one of my British lady friends. She's moving back to England this weekend.

Anita.

Your question brought me a TON of memories! There was a Paris magazine in my hotel room that was uber fabulous. All the articles were written in both French and English. There were two articles that I remember the details: one, you mentioned, about where to spend money in quality purchases; a coat and handbag and shoes as those are the items that are seen by everyone first when you make your first impression. The other article was about being "fashion forward" in Paris and the agonizing moment when you wore your newly-purchased article of clothing and bumped into someone ("everyone" according to the article) on the street with the EXACT SAME item! The advice to avoid this horror? Shop for fashion forward in Barcelona or Milan or London or, if you could afford the time, Rio de Janeiro!

I spent hours and hours on Debbie's 12-season site and also found a 16-season site. I don't know what you read that makes you think Soft Autumn for you. I love you in the more saturated, deeper colors (and I'm thinking that deep moss green vs the lighter olives). Also, thinking how wonderful those deep (almost black) saturated nail polishes look on you. I don't think the deeper nail colors look as wonderful with lighter dress colors as they just look so fabulous with the deeper, saturation. Should that be discounted in your thinking?

I think this idea of what are our best colors within the broad stroke of our season was what Kim was trying to accomplish with us when she suggested our Color Parties! I think our Color Parties were sending us into this knowledge; it's just that they were SO.much.WORK that we ended up only doing a handful, as I recall. And, I think we got ourselves a bit confused as to what we were seeing, because we didn't have this idea of a 12+-season palette.

Since Debbie is a Light Spring and doesn't feel that she looks good in darker colors and she, specifically, mentioned that she didn't feel fabulous in Chico's chocolate… and I do! I think that Chico's Chocolate Chip (which is even darker saturation than the color they called "chocolate") makes me feel wonderful… it's the color I was wearing in Paris at my champagne brunch at Dimanche… I immediately think that I must be either a True Spring or a Bright Spring. Don't know. Makes my head spin, just slightly.

I almost can't believe I'm saying this? Do you think we'd benefit from another attempt at Color Parties?

I purchased a shorter pea coat style, which fits best with my more casual lifestyle. Mine is a fab green...which again...fits in nicely with the majority of my clothes.

Mom said once that she read an article in a magazine (or somewhere), I thought on one of her trips to Europe that talked about where European women will INVEST in their wardrobe. Where they spend more money.

One was definitely a great coat. Get a good one because everyone will see it all the time.

I think another was a handbag...also because everyone sees your handbag.

My boss is a history buff and has several photos of 1950-1960s presidential inaugurations. Helping him catalog these pictures gave me a large Ah-Ha! moment about coats. The wives in those pictures may have been wearing gorgeous dresses, but all you saw in those January pictures were their coats. It is still true today and it showed me the importance of style and color in everything I wear. I bought a bright blue coat last year and wore it often. I have a nice dark brown wool shorter coat, but will be looking for a lighter camel coat this year. I LOVE the classic camel coat Margaret posted. That would work nicely. Those fingerless gloves are my favorite part about that shot. DH would die (he's a bit traditional), but I think they are sooo nice. I like a little spice.

Margaret, I really enjoy the fashion shots you post. I don't subscribe to anything like this and when you post, it gives me a small window into that world. Lovely!!!

Edited by aoknkentucky

Anita.

I spent hours and hours on Debbie's 12-season site and also found a 16-season site. I don't know what you read that makes you think Soft Autumn for you. I love you in the more saturated, deeper colors (and I'm thinking that deep moss green vs the lighter olives). Also, thinking how wonderful those deep (almost black) saturated nail polishes look on you. I don't think the deeper nail colors look as wonderful with lighter dress colors as they just look so fabulous with the deeper, saturation. Should that be discounted in your thinking?

I think this idea of what are our best colors within the broad stroke of our season was what Kim was trying to accomplish with us when she suggested our Color Parties! I think our Color Parties were sending us into this knowledge; it's just that they were SO.much.WORK that we ended up only doing a handful, as I recall. And, I think we got ourselves a bit confused as to what we were seeing, because we didn't have this idea of a 12+-season palette.

YES! I am no expert at this, by any means of measurement, but the reading I did talked about the undertone and overtone of skin. Greek to me, but I know that as a Light Spring, I am a low-contrast color person. So, I don't need those darker, saturated colors. Because I don't want to confuse FIRE/Spring with EARTH/Autumn colors, I won't give examples here, but the idea is the same no matter the season. If the best colors for your skin tone are low, medium or high contrast within your broad color base, I think it matters more for what's near your face. Sometimes I can cheat those darker FIRE tops with a lighter jacket/sweater/topper and/or scarf. If the overall color near the face is perceived as correct, it works. I'll wear my darker and higher contrast bottoms until they are worn out or I get tired of them. They will still work as long as my best colors are near my face.

I use OneDrive to upload and share photos. It is associated with my hotmail account. I find it easiest to copy all the photos that I want to upload into a folder, then upload the folder. You can then rearrange the photos and save the sorted order. If you want to share the photos, just click Share and get a link - post the link or email it to friends, and they can see your pics. You can also give them permission to edit. In the future if you decide you don't want to share, just change the properties.

Only the pictures, folders and files that you share can be viewed by others. I use OneDrive to store photos and files in the cloud. I think there are 15GB of free storage, and you can purchase more.

OMG!!! Deeeeeebbieeeeee... Maaaaawwwwwm!! (Mom...if you didn't get that). Talk about a can of worms...I can't stand it!

Can of worms indeed.

So...in all the different ways of defining the Autumn colors...the one that seemed the most understandable for defining the color palettes for me were these:

Soft Autumn

True Autumn

Deep Autumn

These tried to show the differences in Hue, Value, and Chroma for the different palettes.

It was quite difficult for me to decide if a color was Dark or Soft...because soft colors could be "dark"...which you'll see if you look at the palettes. Dark is definitely darker overall...but there are lighter colors on the Dark palette and there are darker colors on the Soft palette.

It made me wish they had chosen "Deep" for the Dark name.

Ultimately, the biggest difference for me to use in deciding where the colors belonged was to figure out if the color was more bright or more muted.

To see the photos that I ultimately used to make my analysis:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=a600c73afa45484a!618&authkey=!AMUgE6dRZr_oe8k&ithint=album%2c

If you want to see all the photos I took, for whatever reason:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=a600c73afa45484a!608&authkey=!AGADsk1KGPad7hw&ithint=album%2c

I can walk through what I thought each photo was...but in general...

1. SOFT is on the left

2. TRUE is on the right

There is one army green picture and one coral picture where SOFT is on the left and DARK is on the right.

There is one teal picture where a dark teal on the left is SOFT (even though it is dark) and the teal on the right is also SOFT.

Let me know if you want to discuss.

Ultimately...I think I'm SOFT Autumn.

Hi everyone,

I am back! Had a great time in Syracuse! Not a good picture weekend. I have great pics of my family and beautiful waterfalls, but none of me! Nobody in my family are photo bugs and I didnt want to interrupt their weekend with my need for comparison shots! Sorry!

Feeling totally overwhelmed..Ryan just got accepted to the Univ of Glasgow in Scotland for his Masters program. We just found out yesterday and he has to be there by Sept 7! We have to apply for a student Visa when his papers come through in 5 days. Is anyone familiar with this process? I have been reading and I keep seeing references to needing his entire tuition and living expense for the year ($40,000) in a bank account for at least 28 days before applying for a Visa. We don't even have 28 days from acceptance to his start date! So much stress!

But, I have my shirts from Kohls and Target! Hopefully tomorrow I can take some pics and we will have an aha moment! I need that right now!

Lauri

I. Don't. Believe. This.

I can see it, Anita. I really can. I may still not be able to see it on myself. I don't know. I haven't checked in a while to see, but I definitely see it on your face. I definitely agree that you are a soft autumn. I didn't think you struck me as a dark person, but, heck I didn't think I'd ever see it.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you so very much!

Oh, Lauri! Congratulations and I'm so sorry for your stress all at the same time.

We were posting at the same time, and I don't know a single thing about anything you are talking about, but just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you. Oh my! Yes, I'm thinking about you for sure.

Lauri...Welcome back! Sounds like you had a good trip. Can't even imagine the stress re: prepping for DS to go to Scotland!! Congrats on that!

Debbie...so glad that you can see it! When I was first reading the description, I wasn't thinking about how there could be darker soft autumn colors. And so that was making me fight the "soft" description. Further research though...and I get it.

Oh! And I recently came across some interesting information re: jewelry for Soft Autumn. I'm wondering if this is partly why I like the jewelry that I do and why I have a hard time with more statement jewelry. Why I think that I don't like jewelry as much...

SO interesting. I'm really enjoying all this talk.

Mom asked how this new information was going to affect me.

Well. First, now I can understand why I didn't feel like I looked as wonderful in some colors that I thought should look really good on me. But somehow...they didn't. And that was a bit frustrating. Not because they were so bad...just not as good as I thought they should be. KWIM?

Also...like you...I really just want a simple, cohesive hard working wardrobe that will help me feel good because I think that I look good.

So, I'm going to use this info in my wardrobe planning for the up-and-coming cruise...as much as I can anyway. I'm going to try to figure out what I have that is Soft...it actually isn't that hard. It turns out that I have quite a bit of soft autumn.

Also...I'm going to use this info for some sewing projects.

I'm still struggling with my clothes. Having some sizing issues, so the wardrobe planning isn't that easy. And I can use all the help I can get to feel good in my clothes, KWIM?

I think I would like to try this. I think that knowing your best colors is a good thing. I admit that I like variety so it would feel limiting to me to only use those colors, seeing that we can't always find good earth tones to begin with. But it could make a big difference at times

I'm thinking I could put up.

A sheet on my closet door and then sit in front of it. I don't have many color options for a back drop, and a few of mine have a bit of a sheen to them so I will have to avoid those.

I couldn't open the first set of pictures but I could open all the pictures, the second link you posted. I can easily see how convincing it is that you are an earth. But there are colors that work exceptionally well for you.

I may need some help! I have some thoughts already but this will be a fun process. For example, ivory isn't my best color so I use it more limited my and break it up. So I have ivory cropped jeans but if I wear an ivory top, I put a strong necklace or scarf with it, or a jacket or sweater in a darker tone.

Lauri, welcome back! I believe our weather here was good all weekend for you. Did you get to the see regional market and explore the area a bit?

I'd love to see all of us do what you just did, Anita. It would be so much fun to discuss.

I couldn't open the first set of pictures but I could open all the pictures, the second link you posted. I can easily see how convincing it is that you are an earth. But there are colors that work exceptionally well for you.

I think it would be so much fun to see everyone do this!

I partly wanted to do this just to have more understanding...especially in light of Lauri, et al, that are interested in discovering their colors. I think this really helps to see...because maybe the Ah-Ha moments aren't as strong as they could be? And the idea of the sub-sets of Autumn may be a help in that regard...

Since you couldn't see the side by side comparisons, I thought that I'd share them and add a bit of commentary. I'll start with a study of rust. On the left, I'm wearing a tank is what I call "Terracotta" because it reminds me of dried out terracotta pots (not freshly watered and wet). This is definitely, solidly a Soft color. On the right, I'm wearing a long-sleeved rust color. This is solidly a True color:

RustSW_zpsbomikm8u.jpg

It's not that I think the rust color looks bad necessarily. IMO, this is getting a bit nit picky...it's a fine line...but I do think the Soft is more flattering than the True.

I took the same shirt and compared it to the one coral colored shirt that I talked about earlier when trying to make some comparisons with Melody's shirt. It is definitely brighter...and since that is one of the defining characteristics of the Dark (Deep) colors...even though it isn't dark...I think the brighter coral is on the Dark color palette:

CoralSB_zpsgzxiuybt.jpg

Again...I think that I am wearing the terracotta better and the brighter coral is wearing me just a bit more...

This compares a Soft teal to a True teal:

TealSW_zpsylp4q676.jpg

I wanted to compare the deeper soft colors here. The Soft scarf is just that...while the scarf on the right seemed to be a mix of True and Dark:

BGScarfSW_zpsy2qwi4l6.jpg

These two shirts, when folded and placed in my drawer are basically the same color. The big difference is that the one on the left has this smoky overtone to it while the one on the right is just deep and rich. I've always felt like I should look better in the one on the right than I do. Comparing, I see that the smoky quality really complements me:

ArmySW_zpswjavkrrj.jpg

Obviously...I took so many photos. My dresser top is a mess because I just whipped out the different shirts, put them on, took a picture, whipped off...repeat, repeat, repeat. It was a very fast process...but I have some folding to do now! LOL!

I relate to your thoughts Laurie about how limiting it might be to further narrow down the Earth palette...but I must say...I have a surprising number of Soft colors. So I think, instinctively, you may have more colors in the Best of the Best Earth colors already...

And the ones that aren't quite there...it's likely that you don't wear those as much...KWIM?

I'm enjoying how this feels right to me. I see myself working with the Soft Earth colors and more easily able to create a wardrobe that personifies my style statement. I love that.

I've been looking at DH too. One thing that has always amazed me is how ALIKE we are...and yet we aren't. All the descriptions point to him being a True Autumn . He is coppery, topaz all the way. He screams WARM with his shade of red hair, freckled skin and just overall Earthiness. He's one reason why I never thought I could be Earth way back when...

So much to do today...I've procrastinated enough!

Anita, now that I am on a regular computer, I've had a chance to look at the pictures you took, full size. First, I have to say...doesn't it feel good to have those earth tones? I just love our colors, I really do.

I got to thinking about how good Target is with their camis, tanks, and other knit tops with getting a good variety of earth colors.

One of the things I have to do with a picture is take it for face value. I want to make sure I am asking myself how a color looks with skin, eye and hair color. I found myself completely preoccupied with one of your scarves, the one you said was a mix of true and dark? I recall you getting that and posting a link for it at the time (I want to say it came from Zappos?" but to see it on makes a difference. It is such a beautiful scarf.

But I'm digressing, right? I do see from what you have posted that you are a soft earth. I have the color charts up on the screen, and I think that in each group, I see a color or too where I say "hm...I'm not sure that is one of our colors? but then I see how it goes with the other colors in the group.

I do think I would find really good lighting, and grab all sorts of shirts, and just start taking photos. It would be hard later to sort them into the groups, but easier than it would be to do all that beforehand, I think. You may have mentioned that over on the fire thread.

I probably can't do this until maybe Saturday, but more than likely it will be Sunday. I need some proper lighting,and I'll aim for somewhere that won't have a busy background.

Since I have some colors that I have often thought may be fire, this will be a good test. The lighting in stores is awful, so I sometime second guess certain shades I pick when I get home.

You know my purple dress that comes off looking brown, the one I'm trying to decide about? If I'm seeing these colors correctly, look at the dark autumn chart, and look at that color on the top row, the last one on the right.

I got my stitches out so I can type again! Yay! I've been following the 12 season color discussion, and I mean this in the best way, but OMG you guys are making my brain hurt.

After a quick peek at my closet, I must say I just don't have very many solid colored shirts. I am drawn to patterns for tops, I guess.

I think I'm in same boat as Debbie, in that I kind of have a handle on myself but I cannot read other people's colors that well. I think Pam's pics on the FIRE thread made it easy to spot which colors she looks good in, but deciding which color is bright, true, or light is way beyond me.

Lauri, I would think that your son's university has a counselor who can answer many of the questions you have. We have a full time staff member who handles all our students' visa issues. We have some students who arrive only a day or two before classes start, and they register and pay their tuition in full when they get here. Granted, different country, different program. But, I would think that his program would understand the challenges of accepting him so close to the start date and they'll be able to refer you to someone on campus who can help make it work.

Completely random thought here: that gold halter formal dress I posted a picture of was only $87. I was thinking of keeping it if it fits better with a new bra. I got that yesterday but haven't had a chance to try it out. It fits fine, it should look better though with the right size bra underneath.

Laurie, I look forward to seeing that gold dress with the new bra.

I went paddle-boarding for the first time today. OMG I am shocked that Melody went so soon after foot surgery. My feet and ankles are killing me. It was so fun, though, I think I know what's on my birthday list.

My take-away from it was that we could keep dividing down until we had an optimum color chart just for us. If 12 is better, and 16 is better than that, why wouldn't 32 divisions be the best of all, kind of thinking. Eventually, we'd have a Crayola 8-count box of crayons with our bestest colors.

Debbie, this is exactly the thought I was having as I studied the 12 season charts, because I would look at true autumn and deep autumn and there were colors in both that worked and some that I definitely avoid. I felt like I should be able to pluck out the pieces of each and make my own palette. :)

I'm also thinking about the low contrast/high contrast discussion. I am definitely a high contrast person. I am wondering if the challenge Melody is having is that she is a high contrast person who is struggling to find the right colors for her in the intensity she likes that work with her current natural hair. Just going from brown to auburn changed how I look so much, I find it hard to imagine how going from auburn to whatever-it-ends-up-being will change things.

If as we age we can't change from, for example, EARTH to FIRE, does that mean you can't migrate from, for example, soft spring to true spring?

Cross posted on the FIRE thread.

I hope this comes across as the light taupe it is IRL. I pulled this photo thinking of Anita, because 1. it reminded me of the jacket she bought in Spain, 2. talk here of tonal dressing, and 3. cute oxfords! It's a perfect Soft Autumn look.

BrooksBros.jpg

Margaret...I echo the sentiment of being so happy you can type and add your voice to the party!! :)

And I LOVE that outfit!!! Yes. LOVE.

I'm so challenged in my bottoms right now because I have just bloated up terribly... I've never had many pants bottoms anyway...capri's yes, which may be more appropriate here in the South anyway. I wonder... I'll have to look at a couple things I have to see if I can recreate a similar look.

I've been thinking that I need to wear my bronze oxfords more...there are comfy and cute and I saw many metallic oxfords in Spain.

Debbie, this is exactly the thought I was having as I studied the 12 season charts, because I would look at true autumn and deep autumn and there were colors in both that worked and some that I definitely avoid. I felt like I should be able to pluck out the pieces of each and make my own palette. :)

I'm also thinking about the low contrast/high contrast discussion. I am definitely a high contrast person. I am wondering if the challenge Melody is having is that she is a high contrast person who is struggling to find the right colors for her in the intensity she likes that work with her current natural hair. Just going from brown to auburn changed how I look so much, I find it hard to imagine how going from auburn to whatever-it-ends-up-being will change things.

If as we age we can't change from, for example, EARTH to FIRE, does that mean you can't migrate from, for example, soft spring to true spring?

Cross posted on the FIRE thread.

YES. This whole idea is what got me motivated to tackle this concept.

Short story long...

My hair used to be SO much more blonde. And I grew up with my Mom often talking about how I "stole her blonde" because she also, apparently, used to be much blonder. After my arrival into the world...her hair darkened.

Well I experienced the same stupid thing.

My DS stole my blonde. :eek:

I swear. I was talking to a college friend, within one year of DS' birth...and she thought that I had DYED my hair DARK. She said...oh yeah...after I had MY kid...I needed a big change too.

Only mine wasn't by choice.

Not by any stretch of the imagination did I want to be darker.

And suddenly, I understood.

DS stole my blonde!!

Guess who is blonde now?

Stupid male won't ever be pregnant and lose his blonde...

Did I say that out loud?

I had a favorite black shirt. LOVED my black shirt. With my darker hair...OMG...looked TERRIBLE.

Visiting Mom...sweet haircut treat with a hair stylist that worked on makeovers for a tv show...AND...I got highlighted and lightened.

And my black shirt looked SO MUCH better on me.

Even DH commented on it.

Point being. Yeah. I think that hair color plays a factor in the overall look of what within your skin's natural tones looks good.

So there is an element of truth in the idea from Color Me Beautiful that says that your season can change when your hair goes "gray"...or white...or whatever...

But there is also an element of truth in Curt's theory that your skin doesn't change.

And that's where the subdivision of the different seasons comes in...IMO.

And I wanted to mention all this before...when I referred specifically to Melody because she hasn't yet...IMO...had that ah-ha moment.

And personally, I've had several moments...with no makeup on...when I've felt that I should look better than I did in the color that I was wearing.

All together. Yes. I do believe that a change in hair color can affect a change in the colors that look good on you. As I was explaining on the Fire thread...but in different words...everyone has their own personal spectrum of colors that look best. This can be defined by as many characteristics as you may care to research...

We have focused on two for the most part. Overall temperature and clarity.

These are the two big ones that give us 4 seasons.

If we add another dimension...which Debbie's help we have added BRIGHTNESS...or we could also call it LIGHTNESS...OR for the darker colors...DEPTH or DARKNESS...then we have 3 characteristics...and thus...we end up with 12 seasons.

The interesting thing is that everything is a range in some respect. The key is figuring out where your range lies on the spectrum of each characteristic.

This is why I love the one set of color charts. Because it clearly showed how each palette was defined based on the spectrum of the 3 different characteristics of color being measured.

Now I think that the major 2 are the biggest...temperature and clarity.

Measuring brightness...or lightness vs. darkness is just another dimension.

But when you add it...I think you get a better idea of where you best "cheat" is...

And when you understand where you best "cheat" is...you can also understand where you biggest pitfall is for trying to figure out if the color of the garment you are contemplating purchasing is one of "your colors."

Because I have erred a lot on the side of Soft Summer.

And many Soft Summer colors look really good on me.

I think many Soft Summer colors fall on my own personal "spectrum" of temperature.

SO much so that my after picture on Curt's site is actually a Soft Summer color.

So there.

And that has always driven me NUTS.

I feel like I had a little rant there.

Anyway...

I'm sorry your brain hurts, too.

Laurie! Want to see the bra and the dress!!

Undergarments make all the difference in the world. It's why they used to be called FOUNDATION garments... the foundation must be sound for the building of the house...otherwise...a sloppy drunk bumps into you in the loyalty lounge and your bosoms fall out...

I hope this comes across as the light taupe it is IRL. I pulled this photo thinking of Anita, because 1. it reminded me of the jacket she bought in Spain, 2. talk here of tonal dressing, and 3. cute oxfords! It's a perfect Soft Autumn look.

BrooksBros.jpg

and the gold snaps, with the gold charm bracelet! The whole effect is so casual, yet so subtly sophisticated. Delicious.

Anita, I don't want to quote your post, because I would be posting the whole thing! SO helpful.

I find it so beneficial that you can be so analytical and yet articulate it so well. That is a true gift (my DH is that way and I admire it immensely). I think I am more an intuitive, which is why I have an understanding of what is good on my EARTH self but fail so much at seeing what season other people are. I mean, it was only last year when I looked at DH and said to myself "well of course he's an AIR."

I also understand now why my "cheats" are trending toward ICE, or more accurately I think, dark winter & dark autumn.

I also understand why when I was brown haired and a bunhead, I looked ok in black with my red lips and cat eyes. Makeup to the rescue! (thanks Pam.)

It also explains something I've puzzled over without really solidifying what my question/issue was. The Laurie/red, Margaret/blue, Anita/green thing. I thought we would all look great in all the EARTH colors, but it is clear that not only do we all have our favorites, but that Anita looks good in colors that I don't. I never really articulated that for myself but it is so much clearer now. I don't mean to single Anita out, but she is the easiest example (I think Laurie and I are more similar and share a lot of "good" colors).

In any event, I think your last post just gathered all the loose ends and put them in a tidy bow for me. :)

I just had a post started and lost it. Darn.

My hair was blonde as a baby, and steadily darkened. I think my current color is very close to my original color. I'm going to find a picture that I can post.

I hope to try on a bunch of my things in good lighting, and try to create the photo collage like you have done, Anita. I don't know...I'm finding the color charts for soft autumn, true autumn and dark autumn a bit confusing. Some of the colors they show seem a bit to the cool side, and it's throwing me off. Maybe I just need to put that thought aside, and simply see where I go with this. I am pretty certain I have plenty of choices in all three categories. I think!

I stopped at Kohls today. We met my stepmother for lunch, and there is a Kohls near her. It's a smaller store, and there wasn't a lot of newer items in there. It was really packed with clearance, and a lot of it was what I'll call leftovers...they were there, but you really didn't want them. You know what I mean? And then a lot of black.

One thing that I can say is, I can walk away from black pretty easy. I think the reason for that is, I grew up in a home where my mother thought black was a color of mourning, and that was the only time you wore that color. My first black item was a pair of pants when I was in my 20's. I had some pants and skirts, but never wore it near my face. Around the time that I started the "What season are you?" thread, I had made a startling discovery that when I did wear something like a black sweater or shirt, people often commented that I look tired or sick. It was an aha moment, I guess you cold say.

Now that I have a new strapless bra, I'm going to try on those dresses again. I will have my daughter take pictures. I will try the collage pictures tomorrow, when I can I do them all at once. I do not have a suitable north facing window, so I will have to find the best window I can. I have learned from what all of you are saying that it is important to be consistent with lighting and background.