All things EARTH...

Hey Laurie...I don't mind the links.

We recently discovered that if you use certain words to do searches in Google images...the images that are posted here on the forum get crawled and may show up in Google images. So...when we get deep into a certain topic and may repeat a key phrase like "Soft Autumn" a lot in a post...then the pictures in that post end up in a Google search result.

This is easily taken care of in the future by removing the source image from photobucket, etc.

But the linked images do not get crawled in a Google search.

So, I must admit...it may not be as much fun to read...but I'm liking the idea of links to images rather than posting the image code in the posts here.

Personally. YMMV.

And that said...great job on the 9 picks. I agree with all of them. I think it is a strong representation of True Autumn or Warm Autumn. It goes by both in what I have seen.

I do think that it is interesting that the 3 of us have ended up being the 3 different kinds of Autumn. Pretty fun and interesting.

Of course, we know that a little bit of makeup can overcome most of the failings of being slightly off our Best of the Best Colors. :D

I think it is pretty interesting how this has worked out too. I also think that when we think about our best colors, you can make the connection to our groups. For example, I may like my green Merona tank, but you can really, really wear that shirt. I can't see Margaret in it. But some of the colors I wear would seem a bit strong for you.

I think all the earth colors work, it's just that some are better than others for us.

You know that crinkly shirt? I have that on gold too. They are camisoles from DressBarn and are great for layering.

I know what you mean about links being better. The Internet is a great thing, but there are less than wonderful things too.

These are my new sneakers...a new twist on the classic with buckles instead of laces...so fun:

http://www.zappos.com/rocket-dog-jolissa-black-pitstop

I did purchase the black pitstop which turns out is a deep, muddy charcoal gray. Purchased to go with several exercise related capris in black and charcoal gray that I own and wear often...and to replace the other solid colored sneaks I have that are getting a little too worn...

Today was the first day for a hint of Autumn weather...crisp morning...yay!

Anita, those sneakers are cute! Shoes are my biggest issue. I need wide width or I have to go up a half size because I have bunions. However, my foot isn't big all over, so I have fit issues. I had trouble with all my Keds from my last cruise even. I think I might be okay with socks with them.

I'm on my phone right now, so I don't see colors the best. But that purple seems muted to me, from what I can tell. I was trying to get a good look at the reddish color next to it. Figures!

This style of the Rocket Dog has a wide toe box. I ordered two different styles and this one with the big rubber toe thing on the end is so different from the ones that look more like Converse. There are several cute styles...I also liked the olive striped ones...but didn't really need those.

Anita I was thinking of you when I was shopping last week, because this is such a great time for fashionable sneakers. I saw all kinds of variations from woven leather, to suede with a bit of bling, even some leather slip-ons with the perforation pattern of a men's classic wingtip.

That Joe Fresh dress came today, and even though I ordered a 10, it's still too big. It's not me being smaller, it's the dress running big. I didn't find that to be the case with the other things I tried on in the store.

Edited by MJC

I have been away from the boards a bit as I have been working a lot. Trying to get caught up but wanted to pop in and say hi. I am starting thinking about what all to pack for our November cruise and just ordered a couple of dresses that I am hoping will work out. For some reason this purchase really got me excited for the cruise. Now to put together my full packing list and figure out jewelry. Getting super excited now. Hope everyone is having a great day.

It is good to hear from you. I love to plan and pack for cruises. It helps to build the excitement. Can you believe I am already planning for my 2016 cruise?June of 2016 is a long time to wait. I am going away for a long weekend next month but the Adirondacks can be fickle weather wise so I have ideas but I will have to wait until we are closer to finalize my outfits.

Clothing can be sized so odd, Margaret. It is guesswork sometimes.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

It's funny...my husband doesn't really think much about shopping. He very much cares about how he looks, but it's as if he thing his wardrobe will take care of itself, lol. Not too long ago, he was joking about how big his shorts were, and how he had to add a notch to his belt to hold them up. Then he was saying he felt frumpy. At that point, I enlightened him to the fact that when you lose weight, you may have to purchase some new clothes. :rolleyes:

I can buy him certain things that I know he will wear, but he really has to pick a lot of things out for himself, so I've been getting him to pick up a thing or two when we are out and about.

If you can get your husband situated, Melody, without too much input from him, you've got it made!

Laurie, we've been married 46 years, he only buys his running shoes! He's one of those lucky individuals that has worn the same size since he was 20.

He's happiest in running clothes, Caribbean/aloha shirts & cargo shorts. Such a guy! Melody

My husband likes to look nice but he has a strange disconnect regarding the price of clothes. So until I force him to buy something he just doesn't want to spend the money. Recently I took him to Kohls and convinced him that it was time to replace some ratty Polo shirts. So with that purchase I think he may be all set for our cruise. I, on the other hand, am never all set when it comes to clothes. Lol.

Barbara, it's a guy thing! I get the, I don't need anything, maybe some new running shoes... I got DH some fantastic Haggar dry release polos for $7 originally $45-60 (who pays full price!!!). I did see several things that caught my eye, but I was disciplined, maybe I'll go back today...

It really must be a guy thing! Haha. Meanwhile I just keep shopping...

I saw this dress on the Dress Barn site and am dying to try it on. I only wonder if the neckline will be too high... Laurie, have you seen this in person ?

http://m.dressbarn.com/mt/www.dressbarn.com/detail/faux-leather-a-line-dress/102436268/302/

My DH thinks about shopping...but not all the time.

We've recently gone through a phase where he realized that he has work clothes and super casual clothes, but not much in between. So he got in the mood to play Ken Doll, as we say, and go shopping and let me help him pick out some fun clothes.

DH does like to dress up. But he isn't a fashion diva...what do they call that for men? There's a word for straight, fashionable men...I think it starts with metro...but may contain letters that would get **** out on the forum.

I've been having fun with my Soft Autumn finding.

I did my toes in a really nice soft green...I don't know if they sell it anymore...it's Chanel's Alchemy:

42a0a4ac719546ac6fda4dd3b570bbd0.jpg

At first, I was unsure if I liked the low contrast. But it definitely grew on me and I got complements on the color (surprisingly enough). When I switched out, I put on a more intense blue...I still think it's Earth...Mom and I were together when I got it...and it didn't seem clear enough for her:

rcimg_3916.jpg

And I must be honest and say that it is somewhat startling to see now...I was more used to the lower contrast. The color is so pretty...and very summery. I'm trying out potential colors for the cruise. I'm thinking that if I want blue...I have other blues that aren't as intense.

I finally did my fingers...and went for what Mom and I call manikin hands...a skin toned:

7.JPG

I did a silver glitter overcoat on my ring fingers...which I wouldn't have done before. I got complemented on my nails again. My nails are shorter right now, so this color is really working for me...but I'm not sure I want to be SO low contrast for the cruise.

I have a couple sterling silver necklaces that are gifts from DH that I haven't been wearing much...and I pulled those out. I bought a pair of gold/silver (almost pewter like?) combo earrings:

DP0128201417111066M.tif?id=OhkpY3&fmt=jpg&fit=constrain,1&wid=375&hei=375

http://www.jcpenney.com/sensitive-ears-two-tone-hoop-earrings/prod.jump?ppId=pp5003720690&catId=cat100260190&subcatId=cat1003450013&deptId=dept20000020&&_dyncharset=UTF-8&colorizedImg=DP0128201417111066M.tif

And I've been wearing my silver necklaces with these earrings more. And I feel like it's working for me. I don't have much in the way of "everyday" jewelry...especially in necklaces. And only one gold one. So this is helping me to feel a bit more decorated I guess...but not overly so.

I've also landed on some good day makeup for me, just enough to pop my eyes a bit more. I'm really relying on a limited edition Chanel mascara color "Khaki" and realize that I need to keep my eye out for a similar color in the future because it is so perfect. Sigh...why do the cosmetics companies have to do that? change their colors all the time?

I think Mom and I are the next ones to travel. She leaves 4 days earlier than I do...but we both are just over 3 weeks...

I'm going to be packing early. Our flight leaves at 7 am on embarkation day. I don't foresee any real problems with that because we are so close. Still not sure if we should check baggage though...that seems a bit risky. And we shouldn't need THAT much for such a short cruise. It's a 4-nighter.

I think I'm going to focus on the Soft Autumn for this cruise. The debate is still which way to go clothes wise...it should be very casual over all. Still debating formal night...

At first, I was thinking that I wanted to avoid formal night...BUT...with DS growing up so fast (feels that way!) and since he likes his current formal night coat...I'm thinking about playing the momma card to make my men take a bunch of pictures (they don't love picture taking) and to go ahead and buy at least one professional photograph of our family. I think a formal night picture would be nice...

Has anyone else done this? Planned for the photos? I also kind of like the fun all white background photos that are more casual...I'm thinking about coordinating DH, DS and myself (not matching) for that one especially. DH and DS have similar linen pants...and I could wear a similarly colored capri...and so long as our shirts weren't a horrible clash...could be a fun picture to have.

We don't get many family pictures...

And I think picture taking on this cruise will be a bit more difficult because it is so short and because there should be a lot of water activity between CocoCay and the pool...thinking of enjoying more and documenting less.

Life has been really busy...DS especially...so having a relaxing vacation is top priority. Really looking forward to it!

Just came back from dragging my DH to Dillard's for the last day of their take 40% of the already 65% marked price. They had the Caribbean silk shirts (that he loves). We found 4 that he liked. Well 3, & 1 that I said its $14 suck it up (it's red, white & blue & pretty bright). It'll probably be what he wears on the plane on Veterans Day.). So he's done. Tried on his shorts & khakis & said, when do I need to pack, lol.

Anita, do a formal portrait, DS will be at college before you know it

My husband very much cares about how he looks, and he too needs different attire - work, exercise, casual, and those time when you just want to bump it up a notch. He has been losing weight along side of me, and with other things needing our attention, it's been hard for him to focus on clothes. When your clothes fit, you replace old things, but when your clothes don't fit, you have to buy everything, you know?

He is getting things, but slowly.

We don't have a Dillards here. At the mall we have Lord and Taylor, Macy's, JC Penney. There is a BonTon, Target and Walmart down the street. There is a Kohls, but it is across town so we don't get there much. I look forward to Nordstrom Rack opening up at the mall. They said it would be sometime this fall.

Then we have a lot of stores at the mall such as Express, Ann Taylor Loft, and so forth. I've never really taken to looking in those stores much as the first thing I usually see is lots of black, or hefty price tags.

I love a good sale!

Anita, I think you will love Cococay. At least I do. :D It is really my favorite port, to be honest. We just relax. I find a lounger under a palm tree so that I'm in shade not too far from where they drop you off. The buffet is near by, and we are in hearing range of the music. It really clears my head.

It sounds like you leave for your cruise not long after I go/come back from Lake Placid. I've got some outfits in mind, but it will depend on the forecast. I'm looking forward to LP, but I also miss that I won't be going on a cruise.

My daughter and I are looking at a day trip for New York City this fall. If we do the bus trip, then someone else gets to do the driving, which is a pain down there. We can shop, eat, explore...we can sleep going down, sleep coming back. I have contemplated flying down and having it be an overnight stay. I know we have enough points for the airfare to be free, and it would make the trip quick. However, I'm at a loss about the best place to stay, how to get around...I don't even know what a cab would cost from the airport, you know? I think we'd be best off staying right in the heart of things. My daughter's main focus is shopping, eating and catching a show. Quite a while back, we were in NYC overnight and stayed at the Hotel Edison. It was just around the corner from all the action.

Anita, how long has your son been back to school? I know school here starts later - the day after Labor Day. It must be fun with all the things going on such as band. I've been extra busy at work over the past few weeks, and we are working on odds and ends here at home. We do a lot of projects ourselves. There is a big part of me that really wants to feel like things are done.

Did a bit of looking around today. Target had a long sleeved top in a red color that I thought was really a good color for me. It had a v neck, which I love. I was thinking how I could wear a necklace with it on a nice day, but if it was cooler, I could add a scarf and/or sweater to it. I enjoy dressing for fall.

Barbara, I looked for the dress today, but our local Dressbarn didn't have it in the store. They had the brown skirt of the same material though. The faux leather felt very soft and comfortable, but I'm not sure how it would be for a whole dress. From the picture, the neckline does look quite high. It doesn't have a zipper, however, so I am guessing that it may "scoop" a bit more than it seems. It would also be a bit of a looser fit, since the fabric didn't seem stretchy to me that was on the skirt.

We cruise Sept 21. So excited.

We did such a similar cruise last year on Carnival for Fall Break. The ports were Nassau and Carnival's private beach/island. The big difference is that the Carnival cruise was one extra night so there was one extra Sea Day.

We have an evening flight homebound...not until after 8 pm. We have a day pass for the airport hotel, which means that we have the use of a hotel room and then all the amenities of the hotel for the day. This will be a bit like another Port/Sea Day because we'll be confined to the hotel (happily), so the vacations will end up being really similar.

Bonus for this year was finding great airfare, so we aren't driving to and from the port.

We loved the beach day at the private Carnival port...so we're really looking forward to CocoCay.

We've been at school since Aug 4. DS started band camp on July 20...the first week was 9-9 Monday through Saturday...the second week had two morning activities and then was 6-9 Monday through Friday and 9-9 again on Saturday.

SO...it feels like we've been back to school since July 20...

So by the time we have our Fall Break...it will have felt like 2 months of school...

I'd look forward to Labor Day Weekend more...but the Friday night game is an away game about 90 minutes away (don't ask me why...I have no idea why we play that school) and then there's another 10-10 on Saturday. It'll be nice to have Monday off though...

But again...really looking forward to vacation...especially since we didn't have any vacation or time out of town this summer. I am so sick of this area...I can't wait to get away from all these stupid trees and hills!

There are few that feel as claustrophobic around here as I do...most people LOVE the trees...they LOVE the hills.

I do too, in general, but not the way it feels like I'm constantly living in a forest with no horizon...

Especially after living in Texas, Kansas, the front range of Colorado...Scottsdale...

OMG...give me a horizon view please!!!

Oh yeah. Cruise will be good.

I'd love to hear about your NYC trip Laurie!

We'll being doing a formal portrait for sure...the big question is whether or not we do a formal wear portrait.

I'm still debating eating in Chops on formal night and just dressing up...but not formal. But how formal is a 4-night cruise anyway?

And the difficulty in that is that DS' plaid sportcoat would be pretty difficult for me to coordinate with...I'm not sure that would ultimately be an attractive portrait. KWIM?

I see where you are coming from when you speak of the formal night portrait, Anita. My husband owns one suit, so he is always wearing the same suit, every formal night. He plans to add a second. I'm thinking his current one, which was getting too small, is now probably too big! He doesn't have the need for a suit often, so it's not the kind of thing where he'd go out and buy a bunch of them.

I am a bit of a sucker when it comes to pictures. I love them. I often end up with a package, because it is so hard for me to pick.

But I truly feel that pictures are a wonderful way to capture memories. When I look at our photos, it always brings me back to the trip and the things we enjoyed.

We live in a kind of hilly area too, now that you mention it. Maybe that is why I love staring out at the water so much when we cruise. Sometimes though, you just need a vacation...change of scenery, change of routine, no schedule.

We had our cruise in May and that was so much fun. But we came back to my sister passing away and it seems like we are suddenly about to go into the month of September. We have a wedding reception next Saturday. That has been about it!

It was supposed to be a wedding at a winery we were going to next week. We were rather excited. Somewhere along the line though, plans changed to just inviting us to a reception at the Dinosaur Barbecue, where Lauri went for lunch when she was in town. I'm good with that, but it's quite a departure from what we were originally planning on. I think there were some discrepancies between what the groom wanted and what the bride wanted, lol.

So I don't get to wear a fancy dress.

Speaking of fancy dresses, I have spend a lot of time lately just browsing, and I'm surprised how few options there are. Not only isn't there much in earth colors, they all seem to have high necklines.

If I could go on a cruise this fall, I would. Who wouldn't, right?

The daughter that I'm planning the NYC trip with really wants to go to Disney. It's just one of those childhood things she never did, so I guess you could say it's on her bucket list.

Also, Anita, it sounds like band has been very time consuming for you! I've never been able to figure out those games that are an hour or two away either.

The high school that my daughters attended has a really good marching band. When we drive by the school, we often see them out practicing. Symphony, dance and the school musicals seem very downplayed next to band!